╌>

Pence criticizes reported Trump plan to expand presidential power

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  68 comments

By:   USA TODAY

Pence criticizes reported Trump plan to expand presidential power
Unlike Donald Trump, former Vice President Mike Pence said he wants states, not the White House, to have more power than they do now.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Maureen Groppe. USA TODAY

BERLIN, N.H. − The man who served in the Oval Office with former President Donald Trump doesn't think much of Trump's reported intent to expand presidential power if he's returned to the White House.

Former Vice President Mike Pence, who is running against Trump for the 2024 GOP nomination for president, said he has the opposite approach.

"I don't want to consolidate power in Washington, D.C.," Pence said Friday during a town hall in Berlin, N.H. "I want to devolve power out of Washington, D.C."

A former governor of Indiana, Pence said he would reduce the size of the federal government, including shutting down the Department of Education and sending resources and authority to the states "where it can be accountable."

"I believe in state-based federalism and reform," he said near the end of a three-day campaign swing through New Hampshire.

Pence was responding to a recent New York Times report that Trump and his allies are planning a "sweeping expansion of presidential power over the machinery of government."

"My former running mate wrote out a plan, well-intentioned I'm sure, about consolidating power in the executive branch," Pence said.

He raised the report on his own, in response to a voter who complained that there's too much corruption in Washington.

On the infrequent occasions when Pence criticizes Trump, he mostly focuses on what Trump might do if he becomes president again while praising what they accomplished during the Trump-Pence administration - a record he says he'll be proud of "for the rest of my life."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Vote Biden / Harris - 2024 For The Win, Again...

original

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1    last year

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    last year

original original original

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    last year

a0ZQeYX_460s.jpg

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    last year

The real problem MAGAs have with Hillary is that it has become clear that she would have been a much, much better President than Trump. That's a very low bar of course, but that fact makes MAGAs squirm even more.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.4    last year
The real problem MAGAs have with Hillary is that it has become clear that she would have been a much, much better President than Trump.

Obviously one of the most hilarious things ever posted on here.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @1.1.5    last year

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.4    last year
The real problem MAGAs have with Hillary is that it has become clear that she would have been a much, much better President than Trump.

Do you really believe that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.7    last year

That's the truth.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.9  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    last year
That's the truth.

You do realize that just because you say something is the truth does not actually make it true, don't you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.9    last year

Donald Trump is a known traitor. That is why he is going to be indicted, perhaps tomorrow. 

He hasnt been a better president than anyone. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.7    last year

I didn't say they'll ever say it publicly - that would be a betrayal of the Tribe. I said they know it. But cognitive dissonance is their way of life.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.12  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.6    last year

Glad you agree with my post.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    last year

Millions of people seem to disagree with that assessment 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.11    last year

It is never a good idea to say what other people think. You are most likely wrong

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.14    last year

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.16  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    last year
That is why he is going to be indicted, perhaps tomorrow.

It all depends on what could come out about the continued sage of Biden corruption.

Biden corruption and Trump indictment seem to go hand in hand.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.17  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    last year

Bravo comrade, nice "whataboutism" 

So whataboput Trump? Did he break the law? Should he be punished? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.18  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @1.1.16    last year

What corruption exactly? I am srtill not clear on it. His son is a piece of shit?  Okay, but what else? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.19  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.1.18    last year
What corruption exactly?

Hilarious that leftists are sounding just like conservatives when every accusation came out about Trump.

Hypocrisy abounds.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.20  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @1.1.19    last year

You did not answer his question.

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.1.21  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.20    last year

Seems to be good at that 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.16    last year

[deleted]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.4    last year

Only in alternate leftist reality.

Hillary would have gotten into a pissing patch with Putin and ended the entire planet.

The woman wanted to invade Syria! 

We dodged a bullet when she lost. Contrary to leftists the world didn't end when Trump was elected. It might before Brandon leaves office.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.24  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    last year
Donald Trump is a known traitor. That is why he is going to be indicted, perhaps tomorrow.  

Only in TDS driven morons' minds. Show where Trump is being charged with treason? 

He hasnt been a better president than anyone. 

Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine. By the way- you want to talk about treason- selling out this country to foreign powers is the very definition of treason. Yet leftists (including you) are still defending the sack of shit you put in the White House.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.20    last year

It wouldn't be the truth or factual and what else is new?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.26  Jack_TX  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.23    last year

You're forgetting the most significant issue.

Think about what the SCOTUS would look like had HRC been elected.

I am not a fan of Trump, as you know.  But I do believe he did far less damage than Hillary would have.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.26    last year

We wouldn't have had all those lying hypocritical scumbags on the bench if Hillary was President and Roe v Wade wouldn't have been overturned.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1    last year
Vote Biden / Harris - 2024 For The Win, Again...

Yes, that is exactly what the country needs

Senile and dumb/Just a plain old idiot for the democratic win 2024

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  bugsy @1.2    last year

That's what happens when you order politicians from wish.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.1    last year

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1    last year

7qqu1m.jpg

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.1  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @1.3    last year

7q4tr7.jpg

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.3.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  bugsy @1.3    last year

362202290_865614854924221_1929962569919244803_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&cb=99be929b-59f725be&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=M2ruQiXHIBUAX-6phAP&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfD5x-jWB7GoiW9-zEnc4VKCU09Xb54k2ulQ8_ksdlV6SA&oe=64C18D26

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    last year

If Trump collapses, Pence would love to be the Savior. This is actually kinda clever, since it sticks to traditional Republican states'-rights.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    last year

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1    last year

He doesn't stand a chance.  He defends the white supremacists and their leader who were calling for his hanging on 1/6

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    last year

he's a thumped-out gutless coward...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    last year

that will probably never hold an elected office again...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    last year

Pence stands less chance of being president than Kennedy does.

He may not even make the very low bar for the first Republican primary debate.

“We make the polling requirement very easily,” former Vice President Mike Pence told CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, referring to the poll-standing and donor requirements for debate candidates.

“But yeah, having 40,000 individual donors, we’re literally working around the clock … I’m confident that we’ll be there,” he said.

Pence is the most prominent Republican who has yet to make the cut. He is in fourth place among the latest RealClearPolitics polling aggregate.

So far, there are at least six candidates who appear on track to meet the Republican Party’s qualification metrics, with eight still hard at work to get there.

All one needs is 1% of the polls; and 40,000 unique donors. Pence is struggling to reach the 40,000 unique donors. He is the Establishment candidate that not even they want.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    last year

WTF? Did you understand my post as somehow predicting a Pence win?

[Deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

The field of Republicans running for the Presidency is desperate since at this point Trump is the clear winner.

What you have is Trump and a bunch of broke-ass wannabe's. Trump, of course, is the biggest broke ass wannabe  but he has the lemming following still sending him money.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

The GOP is a mess.   I would imagine it is embarrassing to be an R thus we see fantasy and other irrational utterings in an attempt to sidestep the shame of being part of a party that is likely going to nominate Trump.

original

The GOP should have detached from Trump on Jan 20, 2021.   They stupidly brought this on themselves and now the entire nation is likely stuck with no real choice for PotUS.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    last year

They chose to characterize the best reason ever to jettison that loser as “locker room banter”.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    last year

The time for the Dems to detach from Biden and Ms Giggles is rapidly approaching...I'm guessing by the time snow falls in Denver...which has been as early as September 3rd.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.2    last year

The Ds best chance was before Biden announced.   Now it is awkward since they would need to find a graceful exit for Biden.    Further, they do not seem to have anyone enqueued to replace him.

But my comment was about Trump, not Biden.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.1    last year

It would have been a good reason.

But the very best reason is what he did as PotUS during his Big Lie campaign to —for the only time in US history— attempt to steal a US presidential election.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    last year

Back to Pence.  "Pence criticizes"-------------------.  Yawn, next.  He wants to give more power to the states.  Yeah sure, Pence.  That'll fix everything, right?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    last year

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @5    last year

Delusional

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    last year
Delusional

The seeded article is attempting to make the case that Pence is a better choice than Trump.  

Trump is a better choice than Biden.  Anyone better than Trump would be a much better choice than Biden.  That means Pence would be a much better choice than Biden.

Biden's only chance is to run against Trump.  Any other Republican candidate would be a much better choice than Biden.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @5    last year

original

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JBB @5.2    last year

The problem would, as always, be the Electoral College.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Nerm_L  replied to  JBB @5.2    last year

So, without a third party ticket, a Biden/Trump rematch would be a low turnout election.  You know, an 87 response with a 4.9 pct margin of error doesn't look like a rousing endorsement for the Presidential election.  Maybe that explains why a generic third party ticket would be competitive.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @5.2.2    last year

No, Biden will win, not your scummy hero, the former 'president'

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @5    last year

Alright, I see your meme.  But what is so awful about Biden?  Are you distressed that Biden is not a Putin polisher like Trump?  Or are you afraid that if the Saudi Crown Prince does something dastardly again Biden won't help and shield him?

I do not understand your vehemence against Biden.  Why?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3    last year

My hypothesis:  blind partisanship.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Nerm_L  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3    last year
Alright, I see your meme.  But what is so awful about Biden?  Are you distressed that Biden is not a Putin polisher like Trump?  Or are you afraid that if the Saudi Crown Prince does something dastardly again Biden won't help and shield him? I do not understand your vehemence against Biden.  Why?

Joe Biden has always been a 'trickle down' Democrat.  Democrats really did endorse, support, and practice supply-side economics.  The only difference between Reagan and Clinton was Clinton trying to insert the government into the trickle-down as a middleman. 

Reagan Republicans claimed that making the rich richer would allow prosperity to trickle-down to ordinary people.  Clinton Democrats claimed that making the rich richer would allow government to tax more and trickle-down prosperity to ordinary people.  Both Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats made policy premised upon the rich being the source of national prosperity.  

Joe Biden is one of those trickle-down neoliberal Democrats that sold out the country so that the rich could become richer.  Biden was wrong then and Biden is wrong now.

Anyone that turns their backs on neoliberal, globalized, supply-side, trickle-down bullshit would be a much better choice than Biden.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3.3  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @5.3.2    last year

The only factual item you mentioned was Reagan's Supply Side Economics, which still breathes.  The rest is bs.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3.3    last year

since so many liberals seem dead set against SSE, why haven't Democrats taken steps to change??

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3.5  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.4    last year

Follow the money.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3.5    last year

except when it comes to the Biden family, eh?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3.7  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.6    last year

Do you always have to go there?  Is it beyond your ability to have a fair and honest discussion about anything?

Besides, what about the 'effing' Biden family?  What the 'eff' is it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3.7    last year
Do you always have to go there?

Nope. But my reply was apropos to your "Follow the money" comment.

Is it beyond your ability to have a fair and honest discussion about anything?

Not at all. I'll let you kick it off whenever you're ready.

Besides, what about the 'effing' Biden family?  What the 'eff' is it?

Well, here's the scoop for you!

Hunter Biden sold influence and access to his father. The Biden Family collected MILLIONS of dollars from foreign govts. and companies for nothing EXCEPT access.

Joe Biden's oft-used phrase "I never discussed any of my son's business with him" is simply un-FUCKING-believable unless you are a sycophant.

Oh, wait, I believe the WH 'talking point' changed yesterday to "Joe was never in business with Hunter".

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3.9  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.8    last year

Follow the money.  You afraid?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @5.3.9    last year
Follow the money.  You afraid?

Why would I be afraid?

Besides, it would be so interesting to see what the Bidens did for some of their foreign clients and business partners and how some political decisions benefitted those clients and partners.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.3.11  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.10    last year

And the Trumps' too.