╌>

John Mellencamp slammed by Bill Maher over claim only '1 or 2%' of Black people today live better than slaves

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  29 comments

By:   Nikolas Lanum (Fox News)

John Mellencamp slammed by Bill Maher over claim only '1 or 2%' of Black people today live better than slaves
Bill Maher and John Mellencamp got into a tense back and forth after the singer claimed most Black Americans today do not have a better life than slaves.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Liberal comedian Bill Maher got into a tense exchange with musician John Mellencamp on Monday after the "Pink Houses" singer claimed only 1% or 2% of Black people living in America today have better lives than slaves.

During an appearance on Maher's "Club Random Podcast," Mellencamp revealed he wrote a song called "From the Cotton Field to the Playing Fields" that he never recorded because he believed it was "wrong."

The song's message was an attempt to show how White people love to have Black entertainers and often exploit them.

"I would say that the playing fields are a lot better than the cotton fields," Maher said 29 minutes into the interview. "That's what I would say about that. Maybe I'm crazy, John, but it seems like making no money as a slave picking cotton — it was not as good as playing left field for the Yankees."

John Mellencamp performs during the Farm Aid Music Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina, on Sept. 24, 2022.(Suzanne Cordeiro/AFP via Getty Images)

As Maher attempted to continue his argument, Mellencamp interjected and said there is "no doubt" that "1 or 2% of Black people" in America "have a better life."

"Oh, stop, that's what you think?" Maher responded. "1 or 2%?"

"OK, let's say 10%. I just pulled a number out of my a--," Mellencamp said.

Maher then told Mellencamp that is where his opinion "belongs."

Mellencamp again said he had pulled the number out of thin air when Maher said his claim was "just not true."

Bill Maher and Mellencamp spoke on a wide range of issues, including race, the Second Amendment, climate change and the government.(Randy Holmes/ABC via Getty Images)

The conversation, highlighted by OutKick, again grew heated when Mellencamp said the Second Amendment should be changed to remove guns from Americans.

"All I'm saying is that a good place to start is to get these f---ing guns away from people," Mellencamp exclaimed. "Just because it's the Second Amendment, change this — and people go, 'You can't change the Second Amendment.' F--- you can, it's an amendment. Change it."

Maher urged Mellencamp to be "realistic," noting, "That's never going to happen in America."

"If they start showing these f---ing kids laying there dead, it will," Mellencamp stressed.

Mellencamp, who has been outspoken about politics throughout his career, has been criticized by both sides of the political spectrum.(Mark Sagliocco)

Maher again disagreed and said people who love guns "love them on a level" that some cannot understand, calling it a "primal" and "personal issue."

"It's like pot smokers are with pot. It's very in our personal space, and the idea of taking it away — liberals are always at a disadvantage with this issue because it's not a visceral issue to say, 'Guns are bad.' It's visceral to be like, 'This thing I like they're going to take from me.' I don't think you're ever going to change that. They're not going to rewrite the Second Amendment," Maher said.

Mellencamp, who has been outspoken about politics throughout his career, has been criticized by both sides of the political spectrum.

In May, Mellencamp was criticized by liberal leaders after releasing a song about Portland, Oregon, that opined on the city's homeless and drug crisis.

In November, the singer-songwriter faced backlash from conservatives after he was pictured sitting for the national anthem during an Indianapolis Colts-Philadelphia Eagles game.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Mellencamp is writing songs about blue cities? Will it help?  Too bad his music sucks.

Bill game him a good ass kicking.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Bill Maher is such an asshole.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year

Why do you think that?  

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Gotta love some John Mellencamp- Little Pink Houses

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    last year

Mellencamp's been paying attention to the messaging he's receiving. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

Bill Maher is drifting more and more to the right the older he gets. Maybe aging and constant pot usage dont mix well. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year
Bill Maher is drifting

Maybe he sees the democrat party drifting more and more to the radical, insane left.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year

Nah, he's drifting to the hateful right and John Mellencamp speaking the truth, well obviously the asshole Maher couldn't stand for that.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    last year

So you agree with the 1-2% idiotic statement?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

I was dismayed to hear that he interviewed Ramaswamy the other day.  There’s no way the old Bill Maher would ever entertain that kind of garbage in the manner that he did.  I hope he realized what a bad decision it was to give that idiot oxygen after he watched the debate.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.2    last year

Speaking of garbage, does anyone remember when Al Sharpton was running for president and a young Ramaswamy asked the questions?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year
ting more and more to the right the older he gets. Maybe aging and constant pot usage don't mix well.

Believing that only 1-2%, or any number  close to that, of black people are better off free, is one of the most preposterously stupid things anyone could say.  He's basically saying the slave owners who defended slavery as being good for black people were correct.  It's insane and doesn't stand up to a second's thought.

Yet you attack Maher for ridiculing it.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    last year

Yet, you attack Maher for ridiculing it.  

I was surprised that JR couldn't see Mellencamp's unfounded accusation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

Is he a pot smoker?  I've never really liked him.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

It's called growing up and accepting reality.  A lot of left wingers appear to be finally gaining maturity.

Where do you stand? Look at what drifting far left has done to you. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.5    last year

No brain damage yet. Not being in a political cult I am not as susceptible. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.5.2  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @3.5    last year
A lot of left wingers appear to be finally gaining maturity.

Bazinga …. unfortunately many are still “mentally” petulant little children, prone to fits and temper tantrums when they don’t get their way.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.5.3  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @3.5    last year
Look at what drifting far left has done to you. 

Drifting????

From where he stands on every subject, he did a fast sprint to the far left.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

constant pot usage

That is actually not even true.  I thought he used a lot more than he actually does too.  A recent exchange between him and another guest (can’t remember who) revealed that he actually is quite selective about when to partake.  I was surprised to hear that the last thing he would ever do is get high and watch a movie.  Being a big advocate does not mean he’s a big pot head.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    last year
In May, Mellencamp was criticized by liberal leaders after releasing a song about Portland, Oregon, that opined on the city's homeless and drug crisis.

The liberal elites may not have liked the song, but John had the balls perform it last Spring and sang this song to a full house.  Like his music or not, he doesn’t give a crap about what others think.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    last year
 Like his music or not, he doesn’t give a crap about what others think.

Fair enough. I think we can both agree that many of the residents of Portland appreciated it.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

I tend to separate the artist from their political beliefs.  I still watched Jane Fonda movies and Marlon Brando movies.  But I don't play Michael Jackson music, I draw the line at sexual abuse, especially of kids.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    last year
I tend to separate the artist from their political beliefs.

Mellencamp is a great example. The fact that I find this statement of his incredibly idiotic doesn't take anything away from my enjoyment of his great songs. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
5  Hallux    last year

Sounds like Bill is still pissed about not being allowed to hookup his sundial to the grid.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @5    last year
nds like Bill is still pissed about not being allowed to hookup his sundial to the grid.

The paternalistic whites are out in force today.  Blacks can't handle freedom, huh?  

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    last year

I'm talking about an event that occurred on 'Real Time' several times, wtf are you ranting about?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @5.1.1    last year

wtf are you ranting about?

The seed. I assume your words bear some relation to it.  "Sounds like Bill is still pissed" implies you are reacting to what Bill said. Apparently, you were  just reacting to imaginary television that has nothing to do with the conversation between  Maher and Mellencamp.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.2    last year

.... and you are still ranting, it's a side effect born of purposefully assuming incorrectly.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    last year

Damn, I really liked Mellencamp.

Sounds like he has brain rot just like many of his compadres.