╌>

Tubi trumpets growth with 74 million monthly active users | Digital Trends

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  last year  •  16 comments

By:   Phil Nickinson (Digital Trends)

Tubi trumpets growth with 74 million monthly active users | Digital Trends
Tubi, the free, ad-supported streaming service owned by Fox, saw notable growth in 2023, with more than 74 million monthly active users.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Phil Nickinson / Digital Trends

Tubi — the free, ad-supported streaming service owned by Fox — today announced that it has eclipsed 74 million monthly active users for the first half of 2023 and accounts for 1.4% of all TV viewing time, according to Nielsen. That's up from 64 million monthly active users in February 2023. The service noted nearly 4 billion streaming hours during those six months.

With more than 200,000 movies and TV episodes available on demand, and nearly 250 individual channels, Tubi is part of the burgeoning cadre of "FAST" services (that's the free, ad-supported television bit) that also includes services like The Roku Channel, Amazon Freevee, Pluto TV, and others that are tied to smart TV systems.

In addition to decades-old favorites, Tubi also has its own slate of Tubi Originals, whose nearly 200 produced or acquired titles "have been watched by nearly 54 million viewers," the company said, and follow "a content strategy that showcases diverse voices and stories for young and multicultural audiences."

"Tubi is now watched as much as a top 5 cable network, as audiences continue to embrace our digital-first, 100%-free streaming experience," Anjali Sud, the new CEO of Tubi, said in a press release. "The platform continues to scale with 47% growth in ad revenue and 65% growth in total viewing time [fourth quarter] over {fourth quarter], and we are executing an ambitious strategy to define the next generation of entertainment through our diverse content, passionate audience, and innovative tech platform."

Tubi is available on every major streaming platform, including Roku and Amazon Fire TV (the two largest platforms), as well as on Apple TV, Android TV and Google TV, on various smart TV platforms, and in a web browser. Shows and movies are bracketed by advertising, with occasional ad spots airing during playback.

Editors' Recommendations

• Spotify Plus might give free users unlimited track skipping for $1 per month

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    last year

If you use streaming and have not tried Tubi, it might be worth a look. 

They have a surprisingly deep catalogue of movies and tv shows, although few of them are from the past year or two. But for free, this is a top alternative to cable. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    last year

I get all of it free with Xfinity. I also get another called freevee.

Too many grade B movies though.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    last year

Tubi has a LOT of top flight movies. You usually do have to scroll through a lot of other stuff to find them though. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    last year

Grade B?   LOL...   go for the grade H movies.  On Tubi (according to IMDB) you can watch The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and/or The Terror of Tiny Town.  Both are about grade H movies.  Used to have movie weekends with friends where we would all try to find really bad movies to watch, I put these two as some of the best of the bad movies.  The Lost Skeleton movie has all sorts of B movie tropes in it.  The Terror of Tiny Town was shot right after the Wizard of Oz and stars all the Munchkins.  It's a western shot on a back-lot set and has everything you would expect to see including the hero riding up to town, tossing his horses reins over the hitching bar and then walking underneith the bar.  

Grade H movies....  always fun to watch.  hehe

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.2    last year

Please explain a grade H movie.

I think I saw one on Free Vee or Tubi the other night. It was called the Cloverfield Paradox. Ever see the movie Cloverfield? This is the third in a "series"

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    last year

LOL,  Grade H movies is a self-made term of my own.  I use it to denote movies that aren't good enough to rate a B grade (or any rating lower than B).  However there used to be an H rating for movies which meant the movie was passed as Horrific, it was replaced in 1951 by the X rating meaning nobody under 18 should watch.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.4    last year

I like it. I tend to call those movies "What the HELL did I just watch?"

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.6  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    last year

The Cloverfield Paradox is in the series, but only because JJ Abrams added scenes to the end of the movie and shoehorn it in. It was a straight to Netflix film.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1.1.6    last year

Netflix...that's where I saw it.Yeah...I had to wiki it to understand what I watched and it mentioned that.

So what the hell is with that monster? Is it a space alien? And how does it tie in with the rest of the movie?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.8  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    last year

This movie would assume the creatures are from another dimension? The idea Abrams had was that something from the future effected the past. So... The Cloverfield Paradox being in the future created holes in the fabric of time and space letting the creatures come to earth in the first movie in the past.

I haven't watched 10 Cloverfield Lane yet. It's on my list.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1.1.8    last year

I watched 10 Clovefield. I may have to watch all 3 of them again.

JJ Abrams...isn't he the one we have to blame for "Lost"?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.10  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    last year
JJ Abrams...isn't he the one we have to blame for "Lost"?

LOL! He had help. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.11  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.5    last year
"What the HELL did I just watch?"

Yes,  and those are the movies I LOVE to inflict on my friends...   hehe   (yep,  I'm an ass!!  woo hoo!!)

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    last year

If you don't mind commercials it's not bad. I hate commercials. I tend to only watch live tv during those few nights I watch the evening news and Sunday football.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    last year

I watch this and FreeVee a lot. When ever I need a boring documentary to put to sleep these are my go-to channels

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Until a year or two ago I watched some really good movies on Tubi - and then it was blocked here - now I can't watch any movies on the computer except certain ones on the music channels such as The Last Waltz and Don't Look Back.