╌>

Trump For Speaker? Ex-President Isn't Ruling Out Replacing McCarthy—But His Criminal Charges Could Prevent It.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  38 comments

By:   Sara Dorn (Forbes)

Trump For Speaker? Ex-President Isn't Ruling Out Replacing McCarthy—But His Criminal Charges Could Prevent It.
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) says she's supporting Trump for House speaker—but it's unclear whether he wants the job or is allowed to take it.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Some Republicans said they want former President Donald Trump to replace ex-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) following his ouster Tuesday, an idea Trump has not ruled out—but even though non-House members can technically serve as speaker, it's unlikely Trump will take the job, and the GOP conference's own rules suggest he's ineligible for the position.

Key Facts

Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas) said Tuesday he will nominate Trump as a candidate for speaker when the House reconvenes Tuesday following a one-week recess.

Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Greg Steube (R-Fla.) also said they'd back Trump for speaker, with Greene posting on X he is the "only candidate" she is "currently supporting."

Fox New host Sean Hannity gave credence to the far-fetched proposal Tuesday, telling viewers his "sources" say some Republicans "have been in contact" with Trump about the idea and are actively trying to recruit him.

Trump has said previously he has no interest in the gavel, but did not rule it out on Wednesday, telling reporters outside of his New York civil fraud trial, "a lot of people have been calling me about speaker," and adding, "all I can say is we will do whatever is best for the country and other Republican Party and people."

However, political observers dismissed the idea, pointing out that Trump's schedule is jam-packed with his 2024 presidential campaign, civil fraud trial and four criminal indictments.

The indictments could prevent Trump from serving according to GOP conference rules that state any leadership member indicted for a felony that carries a sentence of at least two years "shall step aside" (Trump has been charged with 91 criminal counts this year that carry a combined maximum sentence of more than 700 years in prison).

The Constitution lays out no qualifications for speaker and does not prevent the House from electing a non-member, but it's never happened..

Surprising Fact

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who led the effort to remove McCarthy, voted for Trump as speaker in January, when it took the House a historic 15 rounds of voting to select McCarthy amid a blockade by Gaetz and other far-right members.

What To Watch For

The House will hold a candidate forum next week when lawmakers return from a week-long recess, Speaker Pro Tempore Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) reportedly told the Republican conference Tuesday following McCarthy's ouster. McCarthy said he will not run again. Reps. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Tom Emmer (R-Minn.), who voted against removing McCarthy, are two of the most likely prospects and have already begun to recruit votes, according to multiple reports.

Key Background

McCarthy became the first speaker in history to be fired from his post when eight Republicans joined 208 Democrats to eject him Tuesday, just 269 days after he was elected to the position in January. Gaetz filed a motion to remove him late Monday over a string of grievances that reached a breaking point when the House passed a short-term budget, with the help of Democrats, to avert a government shutdown. Seven other Republicans, including Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.) and Nancy Mace (N.C.), voted against McCarthy, prompting intraparty chaos and intense backlash from McCarthy's backers against the eight defectors. McCarthy's hold on the speakership was tenuous since the beginning of this year, when his election to the office took 15 rounds of voting and forced him to cut deals with hard-right members to win a majority in a narrowly divided House.

Tangent

Trump, who backed McCarthy for speaker in January and took credit for his victory, remained largely neutral amid Gaetz's effort to remove McCarthy. He told supporters in Iowa Saturday "I like both of them very much" and questioned the merits of the GOP infighting in a Truth Social post Tuesday, asking why they aren't fighting "the Radical Left Democrats who are destroying our Country" instead of each other. Gaetz said he spoke to Trump in recent days about removing McCarthy and suggested after the vote the discussions left him "with great confidence that I did the right thing." But Trump denied the insinuation Wednesday, telling reporters "no I did not," when asked if he encouraged Gaetz.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

IF not Trump

0a5932e85feab076.jpg

It could be Scalise vs Jim Jordan

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
Trump's schedule is jam-packed with his 2024 presidential campaign, civil fraud trial and four criminal indictments. The indictments could prevent Trump from serving according to GOP conference rules that state any leadership member indicted for a felony that carries a sentence of at least two years "shall step aside".

it looks like trump may be a little too busy to do the job, and the future doesn't look very promising...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

You know that Trump was my first suggestion to be Speaker, and you said "No thanks..."  However, if he happens to be in jail instead of the House, I did provide a few alternate suggestions.  LINK ->

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    last year

I read it.

My response of "No thanks" was to the last sentence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    last year

Oh, okay, LOL.  No more advice, just ON TOPIC criticism.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    last year

Remember you made a vow on politics!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.3    last year

It wasn't a vow, it was an intention, but since this site is about 90% politics I got caught up in the current and have gone with flow.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.4    last year

I can't blame you Buzz.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Either one in that position would be a disaster! Same would go for Goetz. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    last year

Either one in that position would be a disaster!

Agreed. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    last year

They got in this mess by demanding that only member could call for a motion to vacate.

Today:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell advised House Republicans to take away the rule that allows one member of Congress to call a vote to remove the speaker of the House.

GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz's  motion to vacate the chair resulted in Kevin McCarthy losing his speakership Tuesday, marking the first time a speaker lost the gavel in this fashion.

Gaetz, along with seven other Republicans, joined all the House Democrats to remove McCarthy as speaker on Tuesday. The final vote was 216-210 .

"I think [McCarthy] has much to be proud of," McConnell told reporters Wednesday, a day after the vote. "We avoided a government shutdown. We did the inevitable with regard to the debt ceiling, and I’m one person who’s extremely grateful for his service."

"I have no advice to give to House Republicans except one, I hope whoever the next speaker is gets rid of the motion to vacate," the minority leader continued.

"I think it makes the speaker’s job impossible. And the American people expect us to have a functioning government,"  McConnell  said.

Mitch McConnell Calls for Rule Change in House After He Claims It's 'Impossible' to Govern (msn.com)

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2  MrFrost    last year
Rule 26 is included in the House Republican Conference Rules of the 118th Congress, which was approved in January. It states that a “ member of the Republican Leadership shall step aside if indicted for a felony for which a sentence of two or more years imprisonment may be imposed .”

Trump cannot be speaker. GOP's own rules. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @2    last year
Trump cannot be speaker. GOP's own rules.

Suddenly rules matter?

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    last year

Suddenly rules matter?

So much for the party of Law And Order.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3  afrayedknot    last year

The biggest question is whose office will they demand be vacated. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year

This is the most interesting passage in this article

The indictments could prevent Trump from serving according to GOP conference rules that state any leadership member indicted for a felony that carries a sentence of at least two years "shall step aside" (Trump has been charged with 91 criminal counts this year that carry a combined maximum sentence of more than 700 years in prison). The Constitution lays out no qualifications for speaker and does not prevent the House from electing a non-member, but it's never happened..

GOP rules state that Trump would not be eligible to be Speaker of the House because he is indicted for felonies. What would anyone like to bet that if Trump decides he wants to be Speaker the GOP conference changes its rules? They will bow before Trump to whatever extent he wants. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year
would not be eligible to be Speaker of the House because he is indicted for felonies.

It's like there is an echo in here. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @4.1    last year

Sorry, I didnt look at any of the other comments before posting, I just read the article. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    last year

Fine with me. I can think of nothing healthier for America than to have that man’s incompetence on public display all day long, every day.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5    last year

Tried that, it backfired.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    last year

I was thinking maybe it’s easier to hide incompetency with the president. A speaker actually has to do parliamentary shit in front of cameras.

It won’t matter anyway. The only job he’d rather have besides president is emperor.

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    last year

The GOP House is in such disarray it nearly came to physical blows in the party meeting after the vote to vacate. Some members plan to remove Gaetz from the conference and expel Nancy Mace from the moderate caucus. Dave Joyce said he and others would like to toss all 8 of the Republican members that voted to out McCarthy if they could. This is why they went on a week time-out before picking a new Speaker. It won't be Trump...  

Speaking of Nancy Mace... she was threatened with a hold on any Republican conference money for her reelection if she voted as she did. We'll see if that threat holds water and how many Republicans primary each other.

All I know for certain is that the DC political circus never stops.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6    last year

That will be the DNC campaign as the Biden administration prosecutes Trump and the media keeps that in the news.

It's back to the basement for Biden.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    last year
That will be the DNC campaign...

Of course it will. It would be the same if the parties were reversed. Everyone is going to look for their fundraising opportunities. 

...as the Biden administration prosecutes Trump and the media keeps that in the news.

When all is said and done I hope they build a new prison on top of him. Hahahaha!

It's back to the basement for Biden.

Good. The less I see of Cranky Uncle Joe the better my day is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.1.1    last year
It would be the same if the parties were reversed.

I don't know about that. It seems that the senior party plays with the gloves off.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.3  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    last year
I don't know about that. It seems that the senior party plays with the gloves off.

This might help you out...

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Matthew 7:3-5

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.1.3    last year

I don't quote the Bible. Those who don't believe in it shouldn't either.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.5  devangelical  replied to  evilone @6.1.3    last year
Thou hypocrite

sorry, that's all that's needed, I try to be a minimalist when dealing with the maga...

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.6  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.4    last year
I don't quote the Bible. Those who don't believe in it shouldn't either.

You make too many presumptions. The book certainly exists. I have multiple copies and I've read it many times. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.1.6    last year

But a non-believer has no right to quote from it.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.8  evilone  replied to  devangelical @6.1.5    last year
that's all that's needed

I'm not trying to poke people in the eye. I want them to understand - use some reason and logic, but then I'm an optimist. 

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.9  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.7    last year

A non-believer in what? Books? Social lessons? Speaking to people on a level they will understand? Instead of understanding the point you reject it based on your emotions. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.1.9    last year

I'm guessing that you are not a Christian. Correct me if I'm wrong.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.11  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.10    last year
I'm guessing that you are not a Christian.

And how does that apply to what I posted? Does it make the lesson from the quote any less true? Are you, or are you not, ignoring the wrongs committed by Republicans and hyping up those same wrongs of the Democrats? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.7    last year

I do not believe in Zeus, but I have the right to quote Homer.

I do not believe in Allah, but I have the right to quote from the Qur'an.

If I am making a point about the Bible (e.g. it condones slavery), I have every right to quote from it to support my point.

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.7    last year

So much for "the freedom of speech is absolute".

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.14  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.12    last year
I do not believe in Zeus, but I have the right to quote Homer.

Indeed.

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.”
― Homer, The Iliad

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    last year

Tick tock, tick tock.  Like sands through hourglass so are the days of funding till the government shuts down.  And no matter what happens, Biden can kiss his Kiev goodbye.