╌>

Iran warns of 'far-reaching consequences' if Israel not stopped | Reuters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  drakkonis  •  7 months ago  •  33 comments

By:   Michelle Nichols (Reuters)

Iran warns of 'far-reaching consequences' if Israel not stopped | Reuters
Iran warned in a social media post on Saturday that if Israel's "war crimes and genocide" are not stopped then the situation could spiral out of control with "far-reaching consequences."

If Israel invades on the ground, Iran "would have to get involved", whatever that means. As if they likely aren't already. There's no way Hamas could pull this off logistically without Iran. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Michelle NicholsOctober 14, 202311:11 PM UTCUpdated ago
A member of Basij paramilitary forces attends a rally in support of Palestinians, in Tehran, Iran, October 13, 2023. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS. Acquire Licensing Rights
UNITED NATIONS, Oct 14 (Reuters) - Iran warned in a social media post on Saturday that if Israel's "war crimes and genocide" are not stopped then the situation could spiral out of control with "far-reaching consequences."
The post on X by Iran's mission to the United Nations came after Axios reported Tehran warned Israel - in a message sent via the U.N. - that it would have to respond if Israel carries out a ground offensive in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.
"If the Israeli apartheid's war crimes & genocide are not halted immediately, the situation could spiral out of control & ricochet far-reaching consequences - the responsibility of which lies with the UN, the Security Council & the states steering the Council toward a dead end," Iran's U.N. mission posted.
Israel was preparing on Saturday to launch a ground assault against Iran-backed Hamas in the Gaza Strip, after telling Palestinians living in the densely populated territory to flee south towards a closed border with Egypt.
Israel has vowed to annihilate Hamas in retaliation for an attack by the Palestinian Islamist group a

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Drakkonis    7 months ago

Well, this will be interesting. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drakkonis @1    7 months ago

more.gif?skin=ntNewsTalkers3&v=1692911302   visit seeded article for remaining content

Thanks, but I can't.

I doubt that Israel is concerned about Iran's threats, unless the show of force by the USA with its carriers and guided missile warship off the coast of Gaza are nothing but an April Fools Day joke.  Even then, if Iran declares war on Israel  they take a chance of ending up like Hiroshima.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    7 months ago
I doubt that Israel is concerned about Iran's threats, unless the show of force by the USA with its carriers and guided missile warship off the coast of Gaza are nothing but an April Fools Day joke.

Yeah, unless. If I were Israel, I'd be sweating bullets over that. How Biden pulled us out of Afghanistan has to factor into their thinking. 

If I were president, I'd also be stationing troops in every base we had in or near the ME. We're always sending carriers so that's just business as usual. Sending troops? That really gets the point across. 

Michael C.
Freshman Expert
1.1.2  Michael C.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    7 months ago

I'm not sure they're off the coast of Gaza (?) I think they may be there to counter the threat of Iranian backed Hezb'Allah which is in southern Lebanon.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Michael C. @1.1.2    7 months ago

It was a guess on my part that that was where they were, but for sure they're in the eastern Mediterranean which is close enough. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Drakkonis @1    7 months ago
Well, this will be interesting. 

I am the only one having a hard time accepting a SOCIAL MEDIA POST as a serious threat?  A note to the UN general assembly, or directly from the Iranian government thru proper channels would be more appropriate as opposed to a posting that anyone with access to logon info could make.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    7 months ago
I am the only one having a hard time accepting a SOCIAL MEDIA POST as a serious threat? .

Maybe the target audience wasn't governments but rather the common Omar or Ahmed on the street. 

I don't take the threat to seriously, some Arab governments are willing to fund terrorists and allow demonstrations and issue condemnations but for part the only bodies they will risk are Palestinians. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    7 months ago
I am the only one having a hard time accepting a SOCIAL MEDIA POST as a serious threat?

I don't know, but I have hopes.

Most of us recognize rhetoric designed to inflame and realize that Iran is capable of many dastardly deeds.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.3  JBB  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    7 months ago

I suspect that when all is said and done a lot of what we have read about the last few days will turn out to be misinformation, disinformation, fake news and a lot of the ill-informed opinions of endtimers, deadenders and rank warmongers...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.4  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    7 months ago
I am the only one having a hard time accepting a SOCIAL MEDIA POST as a serious threat?

Maybe? Perhaps if  you practiced more?

shona1
PhD Quiet
2  shona1    7 months ago

Ahh the rabid politicians from the country have finally spoken and certainly didn't need to be a mind reader to know what they would say..

I am sure Israel will take it all very much to heart now they have squeaked...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    7 months ago

They are dying for the opportunity to engage in a violent Jihad against Israel.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1  shona1  replied to  TᵢG @3    7 months ago

Arvo Tig...nahh they don't need to when they have stupid death wish Hamas and Palestinians to do their dirty work for them...

Even they aren't dumb enough to get involved...they are happy someone else's neighbourhood gets flattened but not theirs...

And when the going gets tough..

It wasn't us...we didn't do it... Hamas did it and we have no control over them...

Can almost read them like a book...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.1.1  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  shona1 @3.1    7 months ago
Arvo Tig...nahh they don't need to when they have stupid death wish Hamas and Palestinians to do their dirty work for them...

Yeah. Have to wonder what they mean by "getting involved". What do they think they can do? I suppose send some missiles to Jerusalem, but I think shortly thereafter, every military installation of any size would have a lot of cruise missiles coming to see the sights. Maybe do something in the Straight of Hormuz? 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @3    7 months ago

They will be dying if they do.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @3    7 months ago
They are dying for the opportunity to engage in a violent Jihad against Israel.

I wish people understood not only how true that is, but why. The government of Iran is run by true believers. Their proxies, like Hamas and Hezbollah are just extensions of that. Israel is not about land or the rights of so called Palestinians. This is first, last and always about the slight Israel poses to Islam. This is why the West is constantly bewildered by our failure to mediate peace there.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 months ago

Never underestimate your enemy, it has been the downfall of many armies. Israel's IDF is top notch but Iran's forces are not some third-world country's army. The active military personnel is over 600,000 with another 300,000 in reserve. They have a large ballistic missile program and weapons. Most of all the weapons are produced in Iran. 

Iran has a population of 88 million vs Israel 9 million and Iran is rated 18th in the world by Global Firepower numerous tanks, artillery, rockets, and extensive drone capability. Israel is rated 17th in the world by GF.

If it comes to an all-out war I would think that all of the terrorist groups that Iran supports would join the fight and Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, et al.

That will be a huge well-equipped army with extensive combat experience. 

I hope that it doesn't come to anything like that and I believe that the two Carrier Strike Foces sent by the US will make Iran think twice about getting involved.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago
I believe that the two Carrier Strike Foces sent by the US will make Iran think twice about getting involved.

This right here. Truth. Iran is full of shit. They’re not going to do a damned thing - at least not out in the open.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago
Never underestimate your enemy

Exactly. While all the things you say here are true, Iran pretty much has to go through Iraq and Syria or Jordan to get to Israel. It's a little hard to imagine them making that move. But, as you say, never underestimate your enemy, which is what caused the current crisis. While Iran (the government) may be evil (in my opinion) they aren't stupid. For all we know, they've snuck a force (or equipment for Hesbollah) into Jordan (somehow) that is ready to move, for instance, just waiting for the Israeli military to go in and get stuck in the briar patch of Gaza. Point being, what aren't we seeing or is there nothing to see? We can't just say "I'd love to see them try", thinking we know what's what when we may not. 

What we really need is Tom Clancy to tell us what's what. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.3  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago

Israel at this time has nukes and the means to use them., Iran does not. Thanks to Biden , they are closer than ever. 

Michael C.
Freshman Expert
4.3.1  Michael C.  replied to  arkpdx @4.3    7 months ago
Israel at this time has nukes and the means to use them., Iran does not. Thanks to Biden , they are closer than ever.

But Iranian nuclear facilities are buried deep. (They learned the importance of that after an Israeli raid took out Iraq's nuclear reactor. (Israel also destroyed the Syrian reactor which i believe was in early stages of construction)

40 years ago, Israel bombed an Iraqi nuclear reactor. How it changed the world

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Michael C. @4.3.1    7 months ago

If I recall correctly, I thought a read quite a while ago that the USA refused to provide Israel with bunker busters, bombs that can penetrate deeply. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Michael C. @4.3.1    7 months ago

On both occasions Israel reduced the membership within the nuclear club by 1 in the matter of one day.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.4  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago

Biden made an excellent move putting the two Carrier Strike Forces into place in the region.  They will act as strong deterrents against Iran amd Hezbollah.

Unfortunately, thanks to Trump making one of the worst foreign policy fuck ups in American history, Iran is much closer now to having nuclear weapons than they otherwise would have been.

Michael C.
Freshman Expert
4.5  Michael C.  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago

Hizb'Allah has a huge number of missiles in Southern Lebanon, right over Israel's Northern border. 

Michael C.
Freshman Expert

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Michael C. @4.6    7 months ago

I think that if Hezbollah starts firing too many of them the south of Lebanon may end up looking like Gaza does right now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.6.2  Kavika   replied to  Michael C. @4.6    7 months ago

As I mentioned earlier Iran's drone capacity is huge and they have been supplying Russia with them and have caused huge amounts of damage in Ukraine. As Ukraine has shown us in their war with Russia the face of war has changed with the use of drones, both air and sea drones have damaged a large part of the Russia fleet and also destroyed a massive amount of tanks and IFV and arty.

Per the link Hezbollah has a hell of a lot of missiles as well.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.6.3  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @4.6.2    7 months ago
Iran's drone capacity is huge

I would assume (hope) that our military intelligence, or Israel's, has a fix on Iran's drone manufacturing sites so they could be taken out immediately.  The same for their missile manufacturing.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.6.4  seeder  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @4.6.2    7 months ago
As Ukraine has shown us in their war with Russia the face of war has changed with the use of drones, both air and sea drones have damaged a large part of the Russia fleet and also destroyed a massive amount of tanks and IFV and arty.

I think it's going to be difficult to overstate the impact drones are going to have on warfare going forward until truly effective counters are created. Even then, drones will just improve to counter the counters. Not an expert but it seems to me drones might be the biggest game changer since the creation of nukes. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.6.5  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @4.6.3    7 months ago

I hope so as well, G.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.6.6  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @4.6.4    7 months ago
it seems to me drones might be the biggest game changer since the creation of nukes. 

I agree with that, Drak and as you stated they are only going to improve.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    7 months ago

Another formulaic response from Iran.  Iran floats these balloons to assess the degree of Iranian influence within the Middle East.  Middle East politics had become as reliable as Cold War politics.  But this time really is different.  The Arab Gulf states are trying to turn the page.

Russia is busy at the moment and won't be there to back up Iran.  The Ukrainian defense industries have been taken offline and won't be supplying Iran's military.  Iran is becoming more isolated all the time.

So far, the greatest unrest and criticism of Israel has been coming from Eurocentric liberal enclaves.  The 'day of rage' seemed rather a dud in the Middle East.  What Iran actually does will be moderated by the apparent lack of interest in the Middle East.