╌>

Sidney Powell pleads guilty in deal with prosecutors over efforts to overturn Trump loss in Georgia

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  7 months ago  •  61 comments

By:   KATE BRUMBACK (AP News)

Sidney Powell pleads guilty in deal with prosecutors over efforts to overturn Trump loss in Georgia
Lawyer Sidney Powell pleads guilty as part of a deal with prosecutors over efforts to overturn former President Donald Trump's loss in Georgia.

It still amazes me that attorneys such as Powell and Giuliani would put their careers and livelihoods on the line to push blatant lies for Trump as part of a ill-conceived scheme to steal a US presidential election.

Her serving as a witness for the prosecution should be interesting.    Not a good day for Trump.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ATLANTA (AP) — Lawyer Sidney Powell pleaded guilty to reduced charges Thursday over efforts to overturn Donald Trump's loss in the 2020 election in Georgia, becoming the second defendant in the sprawling case to reach a deal with prosecutors.

Powell, who was charged alongside Trump and 17 others with violating the state's anti-racketeering law, entered the plea just a day before jury selection was set to start in her trial. A judge agreed that she will serve about six years of probation, have to pay $2,700 in restitution and have to testify truthfully against her co-defendants.

She was initially charged with racketeering and six other counts as part of a wide-ranging scheme to keep the Republican president in power after he lost the 2020 election to Democrat Joe Biden. Prosecutors say she also participated in an unauthorized breach of elections equipment in a rural Georgia county elections office.

The acceptance of a plea deal is a remarkable about-face for a lawyer who, perhaps more than anyone else, strenuously pushed baseless conspiracy theories about a stolen election in the face of extensive evidence to the contrary. If prosecutors compel her to testify, she could provide insight on a news conference she participated in on behalf of Trump and his campaign shortly after the election and on a White House meeting she attended in mid-December of that year during which strategies and theories to influence the outcome of the election were discussed.

Powell was scheduled to go on trial on Monday with lawyer Kenneth Chesebro after each filed a demand for a speedy trial. Jury selection was set to start Friday. The development means that Chesebro will go on trial by himself, though prosecutors said earlier that they also planned to look into the possibility of offering him a plea deal.

A lower-profile defendant in the case, bail bondsman Scott Graham Hall, last month pleaded guilty to five misdemeanor charges. He was sentenced to five years of probation and agreed to testify in further proceedings.

Prosecutors allege that Powell conspired with Hall and others to access election equipment without authorization and hired computer forensics firm Sullivan Strickler to send a team to Coffee County, in south Georgia, to copy software and data from voting machines and computers there. The indictment says a person who is not named sent an email to a top Sullivan Strickler executive and instructed him to send all data copied from Dominion Voting Systems equipment in Coffee County to an unidentified lawyer associated with Powell and the Trump campaign.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    7 months ago
She was initially charged with racketeering and six other counts as part of a wide-ranging scheme to keep the Republican president in power after he lost the 2020 election to Democrat Joe Biden. Prosecutors say she also participated in an unauthorized breach of elections equipment in a rural Georgia county elections office.

What on Earth was she thinking?   

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @1    7 months ago

At this point, what difference does it make?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    7 months ago

Well Greg and Just Jim, the difference is that she was one of the insiders in the Trump scheme and will be testifying under oath.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    7 months ago

At this point, what difference does it make?

Clinton: "With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, senator. Now, honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is that people were trying in real time to get to the best information. The IC has a process, I understand, going with the other committees to explain how these talking points came out. But you know, to be clear, it is, from my perspective, less important today looking backwards as to why these militants decided they did it than to find them and bring them to justice, and then maybe we’ll figure out what was going on in the meantime."

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.3  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    7 months ago

Yeah, stills sounds as incompetent today as it did then.....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    7 months ago

All well and good except for the fact tge WH trotted someone out to push the theory that it was because of a video.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    7 months ago

I guess the goober princess just couldn't visualize herself in a southern state prison...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    7 months ago

Deflection

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1    7 months ago

Interesting developments. I thought of her as a True Believer. Funny she took the deal and will testify against others.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.2    7 months ago

I guess reality finally sunk in.   Jail time, etc. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    7 months ago

So none of the incontrovertible evidence they all claim they have, but have never shown still won't be shown? It's a pity.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.2    7 months ago

she's stalling. I'll believe her taking a deal when I actually see her testify against those other rabid sycophants.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    7 months ago

When the supposed tough lawyers actually face real jail time they tend turn and take plea deals. Orange jumpsuits are not a fashion statement.

So I guess she isn't as dumb as she acts.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.2.4    7 months ago

the check she got from trump's legal defense PAC must have bounced...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @1.2.2    7 months ago

Amazing isnt it?" Once ACTUAL consequences are in play all of a sudden "evidence" and "proof" vanishes. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @1    7 months ago

Its possible that she and several others like her were so certain that Trump would have been re-elected that no matter what they did Trump would pardon them. (In addition if he had been re-elected he would have appointed one of groupies to be the U.S. District Attorney)-- in which case they could more or less do whatever they wanted.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @1.3    7 months ago

If so, she took a truly stupid level of risk (vs. the reward) while engaging in a profound lack of integrity.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    7 months ago

we're back to lemmings...

Hallux
PhD Principal
2  Hallux    7 months ago

Trump only hired the best lawyers from Guilty, Guilty & Guilty ... I've lost count.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @2    7 months ago

Squeeze 'Em, Fleece 'Em, Skin 'Em and Skip

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    7 months ago

When your shit is so crooked, even your lawyers have to plead guilty.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @3    7 months ago

or they're forced to testify against you...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4  al Jizzerror    7 months ago

Sidney Powell pleaded guilty which is an indication that she will tell the truth about the  conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election.

This caused Rudy Ghouliani to shit out of his ears again.

rudy-giuliani-has.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    7 months ago

Even the most tenacious rats are jumping ship.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    7 months ago

They're showing the others how to swim.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Hallux @5.1    7 months ago
how to swim

The backstroke?

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.2  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @5.1.1    7 months ago

I guess all their front strokes stopped working...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    7 months ago

Is the right prepared now to say there is proof the Trump forces attempted to steal the election?  Let's not hold our collective breath. Sidney Powell was an official part of Trump's "election" team, unless you think she got up at the press conference where Rudy dripped hair dye, and blamed Trumps loss on Venezuelan and European and Chinese communists , without Trump's approval. 

Now she has pleaded guilty to multiple counts of election interference. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6    7 months ago
Is the right prepared now to say there is proof the Trump forces attempted to steal the election?

As you know, right or wrong, I don't speak for the right.  That said, I'm glad that she pleaded guilty and agreed to testify in other defendants trials.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6    7 months ago

They dropped  all felonies, including the racketeering conspiracy that involved Trump, and let her plead guilty to misdemeanors.  Not a win for the "election stealing conspiracy" crowd. 

If they actually had evidence of a conspiracy, that's what they would require her to plead guilty to in order to leverage her testimony against Trump.  Now the state has admitted she's not part of a conspiracy involving Trump. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2    7 months ago

They have already leveraged her testimony against Trump. Thats why they dropped the felonies. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.2.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2    7 months ago

“Not a win for the "election stealing conspiracy" crowd. “

Just another example of our judicial system doing its job…a win for everyone who considers that important and a ‘meh’ from those consumed by indifference to the truth. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.1    7 months ago
Thats why they dropped the felonies

No, prosecutors want her to plead guilty to being a member of the conspiracy to establish the existence of  the conspiracy.   It's the most important thing prosecutors want to establish and her pleading guilty to it would have gone a long way to proving its existence and implicating Trump.  Prosecutors overcharged. 

Very similar to Mueller, who could never get anyone to plead to actually engaging in a conspiracy. 

evilone
Professor Guide
6.2.4  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2    7 months ago
They dropped  all felonies, including the racketeering conspiracy that involved Trump, and let her plead guilty to misdemeanors.

She got one of those Hunter Biden type sweetheart deals.. Talk about a one tier justice system!!! /s

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @6.2.2    7 months ago
a win for everyone who considers that important and a ‘meh’ from those consumed by indifference to the truth

Is it? Maybe. Or maybe it just makes financial sense to plead to a few misdemeanors instead  of paying tens of thousands  more in lawyers' fees. Remember, because prosecutors sure do, the process is the punishment. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.2.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.5    7 months ago

“.. the process is the punishment.”

We shall see. If trump should somehow win, the process will be broken beyond repair. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.7  devangelical  replied to  evilone @6.2.4    7 months ago

she may have made a sweet state deal, but nothing about a federal deal is mentioned ...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.3  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @6    7 months ago

The trickle UP theory in action.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.3.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @6.3    7 months ago

how'd you like to see that coming thru your bedroom door in a negligee? 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
6.3.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @6.3.1    7 months ago
how'd you like to see that coming thru your bedroom door in a negligee? 

jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    7 months ago

She is going to weasel on Trump. Who wants to bet he calls her an ugly (look at that face!) loser? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @7    7 months ago

So he is going to tell the truth. You should be elated.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1    7 months ago
tell the truth

Trump is incapable of telling the truth.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1    7 months ago
You should be elated.

that comes after she gets her seditious goober ass kicked in club fed a few dozen times...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @7.1.2    7 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     7 months ago

Let's not forget that Sidney has a huge case coming up where Dominion is suing her for lying about them. The judge recently threw out her counterclaim against Dominion.

Thomas
Senior Guide
8.1  Thomas  replied to  Kavika @8    7 months ago

Maybe after all is said and done she can move to a nice place like Southern Florida where being homeless is not as hard.....

GregTx
PhD Guide
8.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Thomas @8.1    7 months ago

Gotta watch out for those 14ft gators though...

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @8.1.1    7 months ago

Or 18-foot pythons.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Thomas @8.1    7 months ago

not as hard except when the hurricanes hit, Thomas.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9  cjcold    7 months ago

So gators, sharks, barracudas, pythons, hurricanes, rednecks, Rick Scott, Desantis, etc... Why would anybody want to live there?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9    7 months ago

And yet so many do.  Stupid NY’s, NJ’s, CA and Michigans.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1    7 months ago

Old folk tired of winter and being cold?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.1.1    7 months ago
Why would anybody want to live there?

Answer:  Old folk tired of winter and being cold?

Congratulations, after pondering for a while, you were able to answer your own question.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.2    7 months ago

My lawyer taught me to never ask a question that I didn't know the answer to.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.1.3    7 months ago

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.1.3    7 months ago

[deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.6  Krishna  replied to  cjcold @9.1.1    7 months ago
Old folk tired of winter and being cold?

That's part of it. And-- especially for wealthier people-- the tax situation makes a big difference.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.7  Krishna  replied to  cjcold @9.1.3    7 months ago
My lawyer taught me to never ask a question that I didn't know the answer to.

That's a rule lawyers themselves follow in court. But I've never heard of them giving that advice to a client.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10  devangelical    7 months ago

trump sure is racking up the number of destroyed legal careers...

devangelical
Professor Principal
11  devangelical    7 months ago

I wonder how this plea will affect the billion $+ defamation suit she's facing by dominion...