╌>

Rashida Tlaib Refuses To Back Down

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  last year  •  50 comments

By:   Giulia Carbonaro (Newsweek)

Rashida Tlaib Refuses To Back Down
The Michigan Democrat is calling for an independent investigation to determine responsibility for the deadly strike on a Gaza hospital.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Giulia Carbonaro US News ReporterFOLLOW

Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib has refused to back down from her statement blaming Israel for the deadly strike on a Gaza hospital, despite President Joe Biden and several other world leaders saying that the blast was caused by Palestinian militants.

Tlaib, who is of Palestinian descent, is one of the loudest voices within the U.S. government criticizing Israel's treatment of Palestinians, having repeatedly accused the country of creating an "apartheid."

Since Hamas' surprise attack on Israel on October 7, Tlaib has expressed her sorrow for the loss of life on both sides of the conflict, but has refrained from directly condemning the Palestinian militant group's actions. In doing so, she has distanced herself from her fellow members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Bernie Sanders, who condemned Hamas' attack.

Scrutiny over Tlaib's apparent refusal to condemn Hamas and criticism—especially from Republicans—grew after the Michigan congresswoman's statement blaming Israeli authorities for the deadly blast on the al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza where hundreds were killed.

Immediately after the blast on October 17, which came right before Biden's visit to Israel, Palestinian authorities said the strike was caused by the Israeli military. The Israeli army said it was caused by an errant rocket launched by the armed group Palestinian Islamic Jihad, which denied responsibility.

A number of investigations by news agencies and independent investigative groups have not reached a clear conclusion on who bears responsibility for the strike.

Investigative journalism group Bellingcat said the ground surrounding the possible impact crater showed signs consistent with the explosion of a munition—not usually a weapon used by Israel. The BBC found inconsistencies in the Israeli military's reconstruction of the incident.

While the truth on the attack has yet to be revealed, the U.S. has backed Israel in its claim that the blast was caused by "the other team," as Biden told Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his visit last week.

But Tlaib has refused to get in line, issuing a statement on Monday calling for an independent investigation into the blast.

"Media outlets and third-party analysts have raised doubts about claims and evidence offered by both Israel and the Gaza Ministry of Health, and I agree with the United Nations that an independent investigation is necessary," Tlaib said.

"I cannot uncritically accept Israel's denials of responsibility as fact, especially in light of confirmation from the World Health Organization that Israel has bombed numerous medical facilities in Gaza and reports from the Palestinian Red Crescent Society of ongoing threats from the Israeli military to evacuate hospitals," she continued.

"Both the Israeli and United States governments have long, documented histories of misleading the public about wars and war crimes—like last year's Israeli military assassination of Shireen Abu Akleh and the false claims of weapons of mass destruction that led our country into the Iraq War—and cannot clear themselves of responsibility without an independent international investigation," she added.

"This debate should not distract us from the urgent need for a ceasefire to save innocent civilian lives."

Newsweek contacted Tlaib's office for comment by email on Tuesday.

Red Box Rules

No Trump or fascist nonsense.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    last year

This woman is pathetic and a disgrace to humankind everywhere.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2  Right Down the Center    last year

And the sad thing is the dems probably won't primary her and she will most likely be voted in again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @2    last year

No doubt. Isn't her district majority Arab?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year

Yep.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    last year

Largest Muslim population per capita in the USA.     Has been for some time.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    last year

And that other Squad idiot Bush standing there next to Tlaib with a smug look on her face.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4  MrFrost    last year

I don't support her views, but in America she is entitled to them. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @4    last year

Yes, she is entitled to them. But publicly expressing potential hate speech and incitement of ethnic violence is in fact illegal.

George
Junior Expert
4.1.1  George  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1    last year
expressing potential hate speech and incitement of ethnic violence is in fact illegal.

Only if you are a white republican, if you are part of a minority group that democrats feel are inferior, then the same rules don't apply.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  George @4.1.1    last year

Which minority groups do the Dems feel are inferior?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    last year
Which minority groups do the Dems feel are inferior?

All of them (as individuals)  that don't vote Dem.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1    last year
But publicly expressing potential hate speech and incitement of ethnic violence is in fact illegal.

Unfortunately she is also a representative of the Muslim community to the rest of the country.  Not a good look.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.3    last year
All of them (as individuals)  that don't vote Dem.

That's correct.

Remember, if you aren't voting for Biden, you ain't black!

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.4    last year
Unfortunately she is also a representative of the Muslim community to the rest of the country.

Freedom of Religion. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.6    last year
Freedom of Religion. 

Yes, we know Tlaib has the freedoms to be stupid, vacuous, devious, and untruthful.

We have the right to criticize her choices and the idiots who voted for her.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.6    last year

Seems you missed the point. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.6    last year

I love when my liberal friends cherry pick things like religion to suit their needs.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.9    last year

Allahu Akbar

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.9    last year
I love when my liberal friends cherry pick things like religion to suit their needs.

To me, it is like the folks who don't believe in God but try to use the Bible to show how evil and impotent He is.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.3    last year

Good to know that in your wisdom you have the insight to render this opinion and pretend that it is fact.

I think I'll change my name to ''Dabasi'' which translates to ''RW thinks that Indians are inferior based on their RW whiteness'' 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.11    last year

Lol exactly.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @4.1.12    last year

Do whatever you want.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Kavika   replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.14    last year
Do whatever you want.

I always do. It is entertaining as an inferior Indian to point out the hypocrisy in your white statement especially when you probably know next to nothing about any minority. Kind of like the old fallback, ''' It's because of all the free stuff they get'' or even better ''Dems keep them on the plantation or reservation.''

Baamaapii 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.16  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @4.1.15    last year

Uh huh.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4.1.15    last year

Just because she's a member of a minority does not put her above being criticized or censured   Are you defending her on that basis, or are you just being oversensitive about the treatment of minorities generally?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.17    last year
Just because she's a member of a minority does not put her above being criticized or censured 

Did I say she did, no I didn't and I'm not defending her.

or are you just being oversensitive about the treatment of minorities generally?

That is hilarious coming from you the most over-sensitive person on NT. Why don't you start at the beginning, 4.1.1, and follow the comments it's quite obvious what I'm talking about.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    last year

Tlaib represents the largest Muslim population per capita in the USA.    Dearborn.    Blame them for electing her, not her.

George
Junior Expert
5.1  George  replied to  Sparty On @5    last year

I actually have to give her credit, she is probably representing her districts beliefs and what they support, unlike Liz Cheney who put herself above those she swore to represent. Tlaib will probably win re-election in a landslide.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  George @5.1    last year

Actually, many Muslims who live there don’t agree with her “end justifies the means” message but like most electorates they don’t get out and vote.   So we get extremists like her because her followers vote.

So like I said.    Don’t blame her.    Blame her electorate.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  George @5.1    last year

Yes, you're right.  Liz Cheney put honesty, integrity and principles above loyalty to  those to whom those virtues are anathema.  It appears to me that in America you pay a heavy price for doing that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    last year

I'll guess we'll see at the next election if either a majority or minority of Muslims of her electorate are supporters of terrorism.

George
Junior Expert
5.1.4  George  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.2    last year

Good evening/afternoon Buzz, I hope you are doing well.

I don’t question Ms Cheney did what she felt was right, the thing is, we have a representative form of government. Ms Cheney was there to represent the citizens of Wyoming, not herself, she put herself before them and paid the price. It would be like you as an attorney putting your wants above the client. We can’t do that, we either quit or change our clients mind, but we can’t substitute our opinions over theirs. she did and got defeated.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  George @5.1.4    last year

Of course you're right, but IMO as Speaker of the House I think that her qualities are more important than just following her party's line.  'what your country needs these days more than anything is someone who can unite the nation instead of dividing it further and the whole world can see the division just getting wider and wider and how the hell can you get what's important done when it gets so extreme.. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.3    last year

Agreed but don’t hold your breath for a good result.    Recent history shows otherwise.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    last year

NBC , abc or cbs news have not given her comments a second of air time. The team is  working to  limit the damage. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year

Hell, when even the ladies from The View call you out then maybe one should really rethink their position on the matter...  oy

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    last year
Tlaib has refused to get in line, issuing a statement on Monday calling for an independent investigation into the blast.

Well, she’s in luck, because it’s pretty clear that lots of people are investigating it. But I would hope she understands that the current situation there does not make that easy or quick.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Texan1211    last year

All good Americans should shun Tlaib.

She is a dangerous extremist.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9  MonsterMash    last year

Tlaib and the rest of the Squad should be expelled from Congress for un-American activities..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @9    last year

At least Tlaib.  the others have merely exhibited how extremely liberal and hypocritical they are. Tlaib is a step or two above the rest of The Squad when it comes to Israel and Palestinians.

But we know that will never happen, best to try to appeal to the voters who should have the sense to regret their vote.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2  Sparty On  replied to  MonsterMash @9    last year

Providing aid and comfort to our enemies.

Treason.

shona1
Professor Quiet
10  shona1    last year

Morning..strange how all the mass hysteria around the world has come to a big screeching halt re the hospital..

I honestly thought for there to be 500 dead it would have to be a direct hit on the hospital by the Israelis...

Then you see it landed in a carpark next to the hospital, the building is still standing and the supposed crater, hell we have got bigger pot holes around here in our roads ..

When more info came out it did not add up to me and as usual the Palestinians exaggerate the death total.. nothing new there...

None of this would not have happened if Hamas had not committed the atrocities in Israel in the first place.

They keep chanting free Palestine....no problem..

Just drop more bombs on Hamas and you will.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @10    last year

Yes shona, the News value dropped dramatically when it just became a terrorist rocket aimed at Israel malfunctioned and killed some Gazans,  Sort of your everyday dog bites man story, Ho hum.  Please pass me the sports section.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1    last year

Yep, par for the course for our fine mass media these days …..

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
10.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1    last year

“Please pass me the sports section.”

U of M 49 - MSU 0

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @10.1.2    last year

Bad year all around for MSU.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  afrayedknot @10.1.2    last year

Lol …. an off topic swing and a miss …..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1    last year

The news value dropped because it became apparent it was an outright lie, but it was successful in its rallying of millions of useful idiots to protest in support of Hamas.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1.5    last year

Yes indeed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12  Buzz of the Orient    last year

What I don't understand is that from all the evidence I have already read about why it was not Israel and was a misfired Islamic Jihad rocket that nobody will publish it as fact and put an end to the speculation because of all the wrongful opinions that that speculation is STILL causing.