╌>

Flight from Israel met by Muslim mob at Russian airport

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  9 months ago  •  16 comments

By:    Itamar Eichner

Flight from Israel met by Muslim mob at Russian airport
Crowd chants ‘Allahu Akbar’ and seeks to harm Israelis who landed in capital of Russia’s Republic of Dagestan

Read more:

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Angry crowds of Muslims gathered at the airport in Makhachkala, the capital of Russia’s Republic of Dagestan, where a plane arriving from Israel landed Sunday evening.

According to reports in Russia, the agitated crowd was chanting "Allahu Akbar" and was looking to harm the Israelis who had landed at the city's airport. Members of the crowd were also reportedly stopping and inspecting each car in an attempt to locate Israelis.

According to another report, the passengers were returned to the plane and were unable to disembark. An official arrived on the scene attempting to calm the situation, but without success.

A local official noted that the plane touched down at 7:17pm. Protesters then approached the passengers to inspect their passports. According to early reports, all passengers were found to have Russian passports rather than Israeli ones.

However, a statement by the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem said there were, in fact, Israelis on the plane and that the Israeli ambassador in Moscow was working with Russian authorities. "The State of Israel views gravely attempts to harm Israeli citizens and Jews anywhere," the statement said.

"Israel expects the Russian law enforcement authorities to safeguard all Israeli citizens and Jews, whoever they may be, and to take robust action against the rioters and against the unbridled incitement being directed at Jews and Israelis.”

Russian reports said that rioters had been cleared from the area, but there were later accounts of gunshots ringing near the airport.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Angry crowds of Muslims gathered at the airport in Makhachkala, the capital of Russia’s Republic of Dagestan, where a plane arriving from Israel landed Sunday evening.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

According to reports in Russia, the agitated crowd was chanting "Allahu Akbar" and was looking to harm the Israelis who had landed at the city's airport. Members of the crowd were also reportedly stopping and inspecting each car in an attempt to locate Israelis.

An Israeli security official told Ynet that "a relatively small number of Israelis and Jews are currently isolated and secured at the airport." He added that “we are working to ensure their departure to a connecting flight to Moscow as soon as conditions permit.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in response to the news of the mob attacking the plane that, "this is not an isolated incident in Makhachkala, but rather a part of Russia's broader culture of hostility toward other countries, propagated by state television, critics and authorities.

The Russian foreign minister has made a series of antisemitic remarks in the past year. The Russian president, too, has used antisemitic slurs."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    9 months ago

I'm beginning to fear that Jews are not safe anywhere in the world, not even in Israel.  

George
Junior Expert
4.1  George  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    9 months ago
I'm beginning to fear that Jews are not safe anywhere in the world, not even in Israel.

With 5 million people living literally on your border who think you don't have a right to exist, i'm not sure the Jewish people were ever safe even in Israel.

With the hatred we are seeing toward Jewish people the modern day Nazis appear to be in almost every country, some we expected, others like American universities and our own congress were actually surprising, not that they would take Palestine's side,  but that they wouldn't even put any effort into hiding their bigoted hate for the Jewish people. 

You may be in the safest country right now to be of Jewish faith. while there may some restrictions imposed on how you practice your faith, it doesn't appear as if anyone is trying to outright kill you for having it. But you would know better than I, being a resident there.  stay safe.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  George @4.1    9 months ago

It is historically correct that Jews have been safe in China.  1000 years ago Jewish Traders travelled along the Silk Road to Kaifeng, the then capital of China, where the Emperor was pleased with them and allowed them to settle there and build their synagogue.  I have met one of their descendants who maintains a museum of what became known as the Kaifeng Jews.  Here is a photo of me with Ester, the Jewish descendant, at the museum.

Harbin, in north-east China, close to the Russian border, was a sanctuary for Jews escaping from the pogroms in Russia.  A former leader of Israel, Olmert, went there to visit the graves of his parents.  And Shanghai was a sanctuary for Jews escaping from the Nazis, because they did not need visas, and there is a synagogue there.  Many Jews have remained in Shanghai.  Even the Japanese when they conquered Shanghai refused to carry out Hitler's request that they kill the Jews because they could not comprehend why anyone should be murdered because of their religion.  And even today the Chinese people admire the Jews for their business expertise to the extent that there are actually books published here such as "How to Succeed in Business the Jewish Way".

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    9 months ago

It seems that anti-semitism is showing up in China as well. 

An interesting article with some observations on this;

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    9 months ago

My experience is that, of course every government has an agenda-- based on what the government perceives as its self interests. And of course that often shifts.

But that being said, my experience of the Chinese peoples' views over the last years is that they are mostly free of the anti-Semitism that exists in the west, and in fact that many Chinese (especially those living in China) really love Jews and Jewish culture.

Why? Similar values.

For starters, great respect for "elders"> Why? Because China has an ancient culture with amazing accomplishment. And what's evolved over centuries is that they way those values are passed on down is via those who've lived before-- in other words their elders!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    9 months ago
And what's evolved over centuries is that they way those values are passed on down is via those who've lived before-- in other words their elders!

Another way of putting that: why do they believe in certain things, and more importantly do things in certain ways? The short answer is-- because its tradition. 

And the Jews? Why do they believe certain things and do things a certain way? Because...wisdom passed down by elders..in other words: Tradition!

Fiddler on the Roof - Tradition Lyrics

Fiddler on the Roof the Musical - Tradition Lyrics
"Tradition" is a song from Fiddler on the Roof performed by 2016 Broadway Cast.

(Tevye)
"A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no?
But in our little village of Anatevka,
you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof,
trying to scratch out a pleasant,
Simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy.
You may ask, why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?
We stay because Anatevka is our home...
And how do we keep our balance?
That I can tell you in one word... Tradition."
(Chorus)
Tradition, tradition... tradition
(Tevye)
"Because of our traditions,
We've kept our balance for many, many years.

Read more:   Fiddler on the Roof the Musical Lyrics Tradition Lyrics Fiddler on the Roof the musical

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    9 months ago

Over the years I've made friends with a few Chinese-Americans. And I've learned a lot about their values. Generally they really admire Jews -- and can relate to much of their cultural values.

Mot only the role of tradition-- but also the value they place on intellectual matters-- and achievements.

Many in both groups admire financial sucess-- unlikemany other groups who automatically assume anyone who has been financially sucessful must necessarily be "crooked" and "selfish">

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    9 months ago

Probably the only major difference in cultures i've noticed (and I could be wrong)-- is that the Chinese-Americans I know all seem to approve of-- and indulge in-- gambling!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    9 months ago

An interesting article with some observations on this;

Thanks for the link-- looks interesting. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Don't have time to check it out thoroughly but will later this evening.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    9 months ago

I enjoyed the stage and movie performance.  I liked the sound track and think the the camera work made the dancing better in the movie.  Besides a Jewish story, it dealt with the human challenges of change.  

Of course the backdrop is the Russian Czar wanting the Jews killed or forced away, like later the Nazi's did and now Hamas does.  While many things change, some stay the same as it ever was. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    9 months ago
"For starters, great respect for "elders">"

You can add family cohesion, desire for higher education and the cultural requirement that the good of the community is more important than individual self interest, which is the reason why China experienced such minimal numbers of the Covid virus during the first couple of years because it led to almost universal adherence to the safety guidelines such as lockdowns, wearing masks, getting vaccinated, maintaining distance from others, carefully washing with proper disinfectant - and the result of that was very different from those to whom personal rights and freedoms ruled no matter who or how many you killed by not adhering to those guidelines. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    9 months ago

Unfortunately I can't open that link but I can imagine what it might say.  As Krishna pointed out governments' priorities do have different purposes.  For the last while the Chinese government has been playing footsies with Arab/Muslim nations in the Middle East and Africa, developing close relations with them for different purposes such as their support of China's growing global influence and importance and the resources from which China can benefit.  So what has been happening is with only a veneer of neutrality and calling for a cease of hostilities while there is an obvious bias on the news media in favour of the Palestinians, in order to maintain its relationships with the ArablMuslim nations.  I do hope it doesn't create a level of antisemitism here, but I have not seen it happening as yet. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.10    9 months ago
I do hope it doesn't create a level of antisemitism here, but I have not seen it happening as yet. 

Only time will tell....