╌>

Beleaguered DeSantis falls further behind Trump in Florida, poll shows

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  11 months ago  •  45 comments

Beleaguered DeSantis falls further behind Trump in Florida, poll shows

A new poll shows Florida’s hard-right governor Ron DeSantis falling even further behind Donald Trump in his own state, one day before the embattled candidate for the Republican presidential nomination takes the debate stage in Miami.

The study by the University of North Florida (UNF)   published Tuesday   shows DeSantis trailing Trump by 39 points (60-21) among Republican Florida voters, with former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley a distant third at 6%.

Related:  Iowa governor breaks neutrality to endorse Ron DeSantis for president

A   July poll   by Florida Atlantic University gave Trump a 50-30 lead over DeSantis in a similar hypothetical primary election.

In a straight head-to-head match up, Trump holds a 59-29 advantage, with 12% not making a choice, according to the new UNF study.

“Despite historically high approval in the polls, Governor DeSantis losing steam in his home state doesn’t bode well for his national campaign,” said Michael Binder, professor of political science at UNF and director of its public opinion research lab.

“Even if you wipe out the rest of the competition in a head-to-head, Trump leads DeSantis by 20 points.”

The Florida poll reflects DeSantis’s   plunging popularity   nationally as he struggles to keep his once-healthy campaign afloat. But the dip in his own state, where he was re-elected governor one year ago by a margin of 20%, will be particularly galling.

Trump, who will be hosting a rival rally in Hialeah on Wednesday night only a few miles from the downtown Miami debate stage, has seized on DeSantis’s stumbles, calling him “a wounded bird falling from the sky” in campaign messaging.

Haley, too, has also mocked DeSantis during a   recent surge in her own popularity   to an unlikely position as leading alternative to Trump in several early primary states.

“We’ll see if he can run in them,”   she said   of DeSantis’s campaign appearances in cowboy boots reportedly containing height-boosting hidden heels, amid more serious attacks over his foreign policy relating to the Ukraine and Gaza conflicts, and China.

DeSantis did pick up the   endorsement of Iowa’s governor Kim Reynolds   on Monday night, but has struggled to find influential Republican backing in Florida. Rick Scott, his predecessor as governor and now the state’s junior senator, came out for Trump last week, followed by the   defections of five Florida legislators   previously in the DeSantis camp.

“Weakening DeSantis’s standing in Florida is a clear objective of the Trump campaign,” Alex Conant, a Republican strategist, told the Associated Press over the weekend.

“His entire message is built on the idea that he is a terrific governor. When Republican officials in Florida are choosing Trump over DeSantis, it really weakens the core of DeSantis’s pitch.”

Link to article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/beleaguered-desantis-falls-further-behind-trump-in-florida-poll-shows/ar-AA1jxAd7?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=343eccf01df2458e9d26efea64176314&ei=19

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     11 months ago

Stick a fork in Meatball, he's done.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    11 months ago

it doesn't look like he'll be getting out of florida before the results of his incompetence in office collapse on him.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    11 months ago

I believe that he has lost three lawsuits in a row now.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    11 months ago
lost three lawsuits in a row

Trying to catch up to Trump in every way.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @1    11 months ago

meatball jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    11 months ago
“His entire message is built on the idea that he is a terrific governor. When Republican officials in Florida are choosing Trump over DeSantis, it really weakens the core of DeSantis’s pitch.”

This is what populism looks like.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3    11 months ago

And he isn't that popular in Florida as he once was. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3.1    11 months ago

I've been picking up on that for a while now.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    11 months ago

DeSantis can't even beat Trump in Florida...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    11 months ago

I'll give him cockeyed credit for sticking with all his crazy ideas even as his chances disappear. He IS a true believer. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    11 months ago

I cannot decide whether Trump's or DeSantis' makeup is more ridiculous. One is in full on brown face and the other one is orangutan hued...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

Sad when you've lost your own state

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    11 months ago

he's done until trump goes compost...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    11 months ago

This is good news.   I am in favor of DeSantis dropping out and Haley (hopefully) being the primary recipient of his support.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @8    11 months ago

haley depends upon the votes of enlightened republicans. good luck with that...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @8.1    11 months ago

Thanks, an incredible amount of luck will be needed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.1    11 months ago

haley has stated more than once that she would pardon trump. that disqualifies her in my mind.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @8.1.2    11 months ago

Unfortunately, Chris Christie and Asa Hutchinson (the only ones who would not pardon Trump) have no realistic shot at the nomination.   Even if Haley pardons Trump, it is far better to have her as the nominee than Trump as the nominee.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.4  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.3    11 months ago

I always thought you were a realist...

The gop is going to nominate Trump.

Dems will unite behind our President.

The 40%, the MAGA, will hold strong...

That one fact sets the action in play!

Dreaming otherwise now is LaLa Land.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.1.4    11 months ago
Dems will unite behind our President.

Oh, yeah?

Better tell your girl Tlaib and the rest of the goofy squad supporting terrorists like Hamas.

Seems they are claiming Joe supports genocide and have promised not to vote for him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @8.1.2    11 months ago
that disqualifies her in my mind.

LMMFAO.

She was disqualified for you long ago because she is conservative.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @8.1.4    11 months ago
Dreaming otherwise now is LaLa Land.

Did you get the impression in my post that I thought this was likely?

Yes, JBB, it is extremely likely that we will be stuck with Biden v Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @8    11 months ago

I would grudgingly agree with a Nikki Haley presidency, just to have Trump in the rear view mirror.  I do fear Haley, a foreign policy hawk, would get the US embroiled internationally in a bunch of stuff that we dont need and would be dangerous. 

I also think she is more conservative on domestic issues than people realize. 

She is also a two faced that has oscillated on Trump pretty substantially over the years. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    11 months ago

Haley is not my first choice for a GOP nominee, but she is the best of the most likely of the candidates currently in the race.

I would prefer someone like Chris Sununu, Condoleeza Rice (younger), Mitt Romney (younger).

But, as you noted, it would be an incalculable improvement to have Haley rather than Trump as the nominee.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.1    11 months ago
Haley is not my first choice for a GOP nominee, but she is the best of the most likely of the candidates currently in the race.

I would say her and Chris Christie, yes. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.2    11 months ago

Agreed.   I can overlook Christie's sycophantic duration with Trump.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.4  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    11 months ago

It only takes 35% of gop primary voters to lock in the gop nomination under the rules Trump and his maga wrote. Trump is polling 50-60% and rising in early primary states!

We all need to pick sides and gird our loins. 

MAGA ARE MAD AND MAGA ARE COMING!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2.5  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.1    11 months ago
I would prefer

I would prefer that the GOP not have an electable candidate for any office.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    11 months ago

Don't trust her one bit.  Pardon that sonofabitch?  That would be fucking unacceptable.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  cjcold @8.2.5    11 months ago

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Well I am not quite there cjcold.   I think a one party system would be horrible for the nation.   What I would like to see is at least three viable parties.

In very coarse terms, how about:  

• Liberal party ≡ focus heavily on benevolent government, woke, etc.
  • Progressive party ≡ socially liberal, fiscally conservative
  • Conservative party ≡ focus on traditional values, religion, and status quo

I would opt for the progressive party as described.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.2.8  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.6    11 months ago

a pardon would result in another single term republican POTUS for the issuer, ala jerry ford...

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  author  Kavika     11 months ago

I'm afraid that Trump will be the nominee. DeSantis was the only one that had any chance and he has screwed up so many times that he is nothing more than an empty suit. 

I really don't see anyone beating Trump so, IMO we are going to get a rematch between Biden and Trump.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @9    11 months ago

Yes, it is very unlikely that we get some other nominee in either party.   I do not see either of these men voluntarily dropping out and the respective parties are unlikely to do anything to force them out.   Thus we are stuck with Biden v Trump unless illness or some remarkable event changes public perception.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @9.1    11 months ago

Tonight will be the third Republican debate and those still left standing are, DeSantis, Haley, Scott, Ramaswamy, and Christie. Miami will host the debate.

Meanwhile, down the road a piece Trump will be holding a competing gala (rally) in Hialeah, FL where he will be attempting to woo the criminals, rapists, and otherwise shady characters of the Florida Hispanic community. 

Odds are that Trump Gala will outdraw the Unmentionable Five debate. 

In the very latest polling Trump holds a 60% to 21% lead over the current ''place'' candidate, Meatball with "I'm a minority'' Haley the ''show'' position with 6%.

In a competing event Seminole and  Miccosukee tribes of Florida will be throwing a Pow Wow in Ocali (The correct spelling of Ocala) where there a strong rumor that they will introduce an ORIGINAL AMERICAN as a presidential candidate. There is a strong buzz that it will be ''Buffalo Thunder'' the g g g g grandson of the Original Buffalo Heart.  The current political parties are represented by an ass and elephant neither of those being American. We are the True American Political Party.

It will be held at ''Big Lee's BBQ'' on 19th St. in Ocali, FL. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10  cjcold    11 months ago

It says much about the failings of the current GOP that their top two picks are Trump and DeSantis.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @10    11 months ago
It says much about the failings of the current GOP that their top two picks are Trump and DeSantis.

Just as much as it says about Democrats stuck with Biden.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    11 months ago

Biden kind of reminds me of Jimmy Stewart. He only went to Washington in the movies. Biden is a real life American hero...

original

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.1.1    11 months ago

Joe Biden is a true hero alright----if one likes corrupt liars as role models.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @10.1.1    11 months ago

President Biden is a decent and caring man.  The former 'president' cares nothing for anyone but himself.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.2    11 months ago
if one likes corrupt liars as role models

hilarious. what about convicted fraudsters? no hope for the maga stooges in the house to level that playing field anytime soon...

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @10.1.4    11 months ago

LOL

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @10.1.5    11 months ago

I hope his wife catches him getting his sausage steamed by a GOP groupie, that's really a male...

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @10    11 months ago

... all the original fascists are dead.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  author  Kavika     11 months ago

DeSantis just lost another court case.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  author  Kavika     11 months ago

DeSantis just lost another court case.