╌>

Bedouin Tribe That Has Lost 18 Family Members Serving in Israeli Security Forces Given AJC Moral Courage Award | AJC

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  9 months ago  •  14 comments

By:   AJC

Bedouin Tribe That Has Lost 18 Family Members Serving in Israeli Security Forces Given AJC Moral Courage Award | AJC
A Bedouin tribe that has been steadfast in its support for Israel and its security despite having 18 family members killed in the line of duty, was honored by American Jewish Committee (AJC) with its Moral Courage Award.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

June 14, 2023 — Tel Aviv

Bedouin Tribe That Has Lost 18 Family Members Serving in Israeli Security Forces Given AJC Moral Courage Award

TEL AVIV—June 14, 2023-A Bedouin tribe that has been steadfast in its support for Israel and its security despite having 18 family members killed in the line of duty, was honored today by American Jewish Committee (AJC) with its Moral Courage Award.

Several members of the Sawaed family have served in the Israeli security services. Two family members, Trad and Mustafa Sawaed, told AJC Global Forum in Tel Aviv the Muslim family serves for a simple reason: They are Israeli and have the same rights and responsibilities as their Jewish counterparts.

"Here we were born, here we live together, in the State of Israel, and we are equal citizens, and equality is expressed in everything," Trad Sawaed said after a two-minute standing ovation during the final plenary session at AJC Global Forum. "It is our duty to help protect the security of Israel, the security of all of our homes."

Trad's brother, Omar, was kidnapped in October 2000 along with two other Jewish soldiers by the terrorist organization Hezbollah, which refused to release any information about the kidnapped soldiers. After a long campaign led by the families of the three soldiers as well as a lengthy negotiation process led by a third party, Israel agreed in 2004 to release 36 terrorists and the bodies of 400 terrorists, in return for the bodies of the murdered soldiers and an Israeli who was kidnapped in Lebanon and returned alive.

The Sawaed tribe numbers in the thousands, living in the Galilee in northern Israel. The family has unhesitatingly served in security services, despite the losses they have experienced.

"There is nothing more painful than losing a son, brother, father, cousin, or friend," Trad Sawaed said in Hebrew. "The pain is endless. It is difficult to describe the grieving process in words, but the hug we receive from our Jewish brothers, our partners, our comrades in arms, is enormous. For them, we are part of their flesh. For us, the feeling is the same."

Among the relatives the family had to bury recently was Asil Sawaed, a Border Police officer, stabbed to death in February by a 13-year-old Palestinian assailant at a Jerusalem checkpoint. He was 22.

Mustafa Sawaed, Asil's brother, said the pain of Asil's murder was tempered somewhat by the outpouring of support from all walks of Israeli life.

"Thousands of people came to Asil's funeral, Bedouins, Jews, policemen, soldiers, civilians," Mustafa said. "The commissioner of police also came. Everyone carried the same message—Asil is one of us. Our partnership is stronger than anything and every day gives us strength to continue."

Craig Unterberg, a member of the AJC Board of Governors, who introduced the Sawaeds at Global Forum, said that while words cannot make up for the family's loss, "you have the gratitude of all those who love this great country."

Mustafa said the feeling was mutual.

"It is not taken for granted that a Jewish organization chooses to award recognition and appreciation specifically to a Muslim Arab family," he said. "It moves me and also the rest of the family members sitting here with us today to know that you see us as part of you."

AJC is the global advocacy organization for the Jewish people. With headquarters in New York City, 25 offices across the United States, and 14 overseas posts, as well as partnerships with 38 Jewish community organizations worldwide, AJC's mission is to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world.

Tagged

Global Forum 2023

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     9 months ago
Two family members, Trad and Mustafa Sawaed, told AJC Global Forum in Tel Aviv the Muslim family serves for a simple reason: They are Israeli and have the same rights and responsibilities as their Jewish counterparts.

THE PHOTO OF THE BEDOUIN SOLDIER WAS TAKEN IN 1949 AND HE IS IN THE IDF. THE BEDOUINS HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED AS PART OF THE IDF AND ISRAEL SINCE ITS INCEPTION.

Look beyond race, and religion and see the man and his contribution.

(I don't know how the above ended up in the red box rules but I can't delete it so please just ignore it}

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago
(I don't know how the above ended up in the red box rules but I can't delete it so please just ignore it}

I can't, Kavika! I just can't! (sob, sniffle)

Two family members, Trad and Mustafa Sawaed, told AJC Global Forum in Tel Aviv the Muslim family serves for a simple reason: They are Israeli and have the same rights and responsibilities as their Jewish counterparts.

The Sawaed tribe is what nobility looks like. Quite the contrast to most Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza it seems, who's lives appear to be centered on hate, perpetual victim mentality and violence. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @1.1    9 months ago
I can't, Kavika! I just can't! (sob, sniffle)

Ok, Ok crying towel on the way...LOL

Although the Bedouins are considered Palestinian they are quite different and make it clear that they are Bedouins not Palestinians. But there are many Palestinians in the IDF as well but you are correct in that many/majority seem to be centered on hate. 

There was a Druze Col. that saved a kibbutz on 10/6 and was killed leading his men into Gaza and two Bedouins whose army post was close to the concert and overrun by Hamas and they retook the post and then went into the desert and one stripped off his IDF uniform and began calling to Hamas come and join in killing more Jews, and as soon as a group of them appeared the other Bedouin cut them down. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    9 months ago
But there are many Palestinians in the IDF as well but you are correct in that many/majority seem to be centered on hate. 

That's  why I named the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, so as not to include all Palestinians. I remember thinking, when this first started, I needed to keep in mind that Palestinians and Hamas weren't the same thing, but as time has gone on, I find the distinction harder to maintain. Just saw vids of Shani Louk and saw the glee in the random Palestinians took in further desecrating her body as she was paraded through Gaza. Then, because that wasn't enough, apparently, when she was found her head had been separated from her body. I'm glad they don't, but sometimes amazed, that Israel just doesn't flatten the whole place. 

There was a Druze Col. that saved a kibbutz on 10/6 and was killed leading his men into Gaza and two Bedouins whose army post was close to the concert and overrun by Hamas and they retook the post and then went into the desert and one stripped off his IDF uniform and began calling to Hamas come and join in killing more Jews, and as soon as a group of them appeared the other Bedouin cut them down.

There was a time when I would have cheered about this but... I don't know. I mean, I'm glad they did so because these people needed to be put down as rabid animals, but that the world is such a place where things like this are necessary? It feels more like a job that no one really should want to do but it has to get done anyway. Has to. So, just get it done. Quite a bit different than how I used to be, I suppose. 20 years in the Army and I had always wanted to have my metal tested in combat, but now that I've been out about as long, I'm just glad I never had to take another's life. I still would, if it was necessary, but I don't think I'd feel anything but sadness. It's just all so stupid and unnecessary. 

The worst part is, I don't know if I should even feel this way. At one time, I would have felt nothing but righteous hatred for the men I saw in the back of the truck parading Shani through the streets of Gaza. Now I only feel sadness for them. For being such poisoned human beings when they could have been something different. Something human. 

Anyway, what happened to Shani Louk depressed me and I'm just ranting. I still think Israel is doing what it needs to do in Gaza and I hope they don't listen to the rest of the world. It's a job that has to be done. I just hope Netanyahu doesn't use it for his own personal gain. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @1.1.2    9 months ago
That's  why I named the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, so as not to include all Palestinians. I remember thinking, when this first started, I needed to keep in mind that Palestinians and Hamas weren't the same thing, but as time has gone on, I find the distinction harder to maintain. Just saw vids of Shani Louk and saw the glee in the random Palestinians took in further desecrating her body as she was paraded through Gaza. Then, because that wasn't enough, apparently, when she was found her head had been separated from her body. I'm glad they don't, but sometimes amazed, that Israel just doesn't flatten the whole place. 

This and many other atrocities committed by Hamas shake the human spirit and like you I am amazed that Israel doesn't flatten Gaza.

There was a time when I would have cheered about this but... I don't know. I mean, I'm glad they did so because these people needed to be put down as rabid animals, but that the world is such a place where things like this are necessary? It feels more like a job that no one really should want to do but it has to get done anyway. Has to. So, just get it done. Quite a bit different than how I used to be, I suppose. 20 years in the Army and I had always wanted to have my metal tested in combat, but now that I've been out about as long, I'm just glad I never had to take another's life. I still would, if it was necessary, but I don't think I'd feel anything but sadness. It's just all so stupid and unnecessary. 

I certainly understand your feelings. I did have my metal tested and the one thing that I've learned is that there are no winners in a war. I wrote this ''poem'' in the Central Highlands of Vietnam in 1965 and I think that it expresses my feelings to a ''T''. 

I've seen heroes,

I've seen cowards,

I've seen men die,

I've seen men go crazy,

There are no moral wars,

There are no winners or losers,

There are only survivors,

Those who left part of themselves,

Either their body or mind in a bloody ditch,

In a land, they did not know, 

The dead will haunt your dreams

As you grow old,

There is no escape, 

There is only survival.

I suppose everyone sees it differently, but in reality, survival is the only outcome.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @1.1.3    8 months ago
I suppose everyone sees it differently, but in reality, survival is the only outcome.

Great poem. I think that pretty much captures what it's like for fighters. I was in an Air Ambulance unit in Iraq so, no front line fighting for us, but we got mortared pretty regularly. Even for us, though, the reason we were there took a back seat to just being concerned more about the people of our unit, then all the others there with us, all got to come home. That's all that really matters. I imagine for those like you, who were in the deep end of the pool, felt that a hundred fold. Sorry it sucked so bad for you guys, especially in that place, especially the way the whole thing was run and by whom. One strange side effect of it all, though. I never felt so connected to people as I did in that place. Strange, huh? 

Anyway, I'm glad Israel doesn't just flatten the place. Foolish as it sometimes seems I hope that future generations of Palestinians might escape the hatred cycle of their people. That, somehow, the world will actually give a damn about the people and do things that actually help rather than tie Israel's hands behind their backs and then tell them they must solve the problem themselves. Israeli Palestinians, Bedouins and the rest prove hate doesn't have to be what a people live for. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @1.1.4    8 months ago
Even for us, though, the reason we were there took a back seat to just being concerned more about the people of our unit, then all the others there with us, all got to come home.

That is by far the most important thing. You saved lives Drakk, it doesn't get any better than that.

I never felt so connected to people as I did in that place. Strange, huh? 

Not strange at all, in fact probably pretty common.

Israeli Palestinians, Bedouins and the rest prove hate doesn't have to be what a people live for. 

Exactly, and hopefully it will spread to others.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2  Gsquared    9 months ago

What a great family and a great story.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @2    9 months ago
What a great family and a great story.

The ultimate sacrifice eighteen times for their country, Israel.

The award was given in June of 2023, four months later 10/7 happened and you can bet there are members of this family fighting Hamas as we speak.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 months ago

What an amazing photo and amazing story. Most people don't know that the Bedouins and Druze are both citizens of Israel and love the country they serve, and serve very bravely. 

This tribe is amazing in it's dedication to Israel and to their bravery!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Kavika     9 months ago

This is a photo of Bedouin troops from 1949 that fought for Israel in the Israel, Arab war.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @4    9 months ago

Great photo! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    9 months ago

A true story that contradicts the lie that Israel is an Apartheid state.  Thank you, Kavika, for posting it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    9 months ago
A true story that contradicts the lie that Israel is an Apartheid state.  Thank you, Kavika, for posting it. 

Actually Buzz, I didn't post it for that reason. I wanted to show that one has to look past race, religion and skin color to see the true man. The Bedouins are an ancient people dating back 6,000 BCE and are Muslim, yet they identify as Israeli and fight to protect their land. Side by Side with Jews, if anything is learned in this latest war with Hamas is that the Bedouin people considered nomads have learned something that many can't grasp.