╌>

Leaving Texas: Why People Are Exiting the Lone Star State

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  11 months ago  •  60 comments

By:   Alcynna Lloyd (Business Insider)

Leaving Texas: Why People Are Exiting the Lone Star State
Although more people are moving to Texas than leaving it, some Texans are packing up for states with lower property taxes and more inclusivity.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Texas state capitol in Austin. Getty Images/ Jon Hicks Redeem now

• Texas experienced a surge in popularity during the pandemic that drove home prices up 30%, data suggests.
  • The political freedom some sought in the state has encouraged others to leave.

While some homebuyers seek the American dream in Texas, many are leaving the state to find it elsewhere.

"Lifelong Texan here. I am definitely preparing an exit strategy," one anonymous user posted on a Reddit thread about leaving Texas. "From the heat to the stripping away of human rights, I'm just done."

Another poster struck a similar chord. "I've been in Texas most of my life, and my husband and I were always planning on retiring here (in about 5 years from now)," they wrote. "But between this intense heat, crazy politics, and cost of living, we've decided to leave for good and head to Knoxville."

While people have been moving into the Lone Star state to take advantage of its relatively affordable real-estate market, political atmosphere, and work opportunities, some of those same qualities are driving others out. More than 494,000 people left Texas between 2021 and 2022 (though the state gained a net population of 174,261). It's a trend that could intensify as housing costs surge and the state's political landscape becomes more polarized.

Housing costs have some looking for affordability elsewhere

Texas experienced a surge in popularity during the pandemic that pushed home prices up 30% from 2019, data from Realtor.com indicated. At the same, residents are also grappling with property taxes that are among the highest in the country.

Californians seeking more affordable homes made the Golden-to-Lone-Star-state moving route the most popular in the country from 2021 to 2022, with almost 108,000 people making the move. But there's one big downside.

"The property-tax percentage rate is higher," Marie Bailey, a Realtor who moved from El Segundo, California, to Prosper, Texas, in 2017, previously told Business Insider. "Every time a prospective client calls me, it's one of the first things I talk about."

Marie Bailey and her family moved to Prosper, Texas in 2017, where she is now a realtor helping other Californians make the move to The Lone Star State. Courtesy of Marie Bailey

As Texas starts to lose its edge as an inexpensive and affordable housing choice, many locals are shifting their focus to the Midwest.

For Texans, "the Midwest has emerged as popular recently because it is just by and large the most affordable region," Hannah Jones, Realtor.com's economic-research analyst, told BI in October. "We're seeing this trend of buyers looking for affordability really explode."

The political freedom many moved to the state for is driving others away

For many Americans, politics are just as important as housing affordability when choosing a place to live.

A 2022 survey by the mortgage marketplace LendingTree involving 1,545 participants found that 39% of respondents said they'd relocated or might consider moving to a different state if their political views didn't align with the majority.

Jackie Burse, a self-identified Conservative, is one of the many Californians who have sought out Texas for its political environment. Burse told BI in September that it played a crucial role in her decision to relocate to Texas in 2021.

Jackie Burse grabbing a drink. Courtesy of Jackie Burse

In Texas, Burse said, there was "room for people to believe what they want without being shamed," unlike in California.

Contrary to Burse, Bob McCranie, a Dallas-based real-estate broker who created a real-estate service that helps LGBTQ+ people in Texas sell their homes and get connected with agents in different parts of the country and abroad, told KXAN News in July that the state's lack of inclusivity had created an unwelcoming environment.

"What we all want as human beings is to feel a level of safety, and if your state is making you feel unsafe, there's no reason to stay," McCranie said. "I can't believe somebody could look at, let's say, California or New York versus Texas and Florida and say that LGBTQ people feel more welcome in Florida and Texas."

Texas hasn't lived up to its promises for some

Some recent transplants have also grown disenchanted with the state.

In Austin, some tech workers who flocked to the city during the pandemic just can't seem to get out fast enough.

Nick Thomas, 30, moved to Austin from downtown Los Angeles in January 2021 and told BI in August he hoped to move back to California soon. He said Austin was a "watered-down" version of places he'd previously lived, such as Los Angeles and San Francisco.

"People say it's a tech scene just because that's what they were told, but when you get to it, there's no evidence for it," Thomas said. "I think it was just oversold."

Jules Rogers, a reporter who relocated from Portland, Oregon, to Houston in 2018 for a position at a local newspaper, left Texas less than two years after moving to the city.

Jules Rogers, left, in Texas. Courtesy of Jules Rogers

Though she was earning a 20% higher income and living in a more spacious apartment, she said that her quality of life hadn't improved.

"I tried to tell myself I just needed to give it a chance, settle in, and get used to Houston, but I missed the trees, the air, the mountains, the ocean, the vibes, and the culture of the Pacific Northwest," Rogers previously wrote for BI.

She has since returned to Portland, where she said she felt "much happier now back at home."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    11 months ago

original

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @1    11 months ago

So... .if the headline was remotely honest.... this is what it would talk about.

It's not about politics.  It's about "consecutive number of days over 105 degrees".  We had the 2nd hottest summer on record this year.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1    11 months ago

Folk are leaving Texas and Florida unless they work for NASA.

Teachers are leaving in droves.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    11 months ago

I seriously doubt that people move because a state isn't "inclusive" enough.

Maybe all those illegal immigrants are taking all the good jobs and cheap housing.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    11 months ago

“Maybe all those illegal immigrants are taking all the good jobs and cheap housing.”

…the ‘good jobs’? …the ‘cheap housing?…

…they are doing the shit jobs and scrambling for housing on a daily basis with a wink, wink, and a nudge, nudge while simultaneously being blamed and castigated for a problem decades in the making. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    11 months ago

Although more people are moving to Texas than leaving it

Lol.  

Biggest self own in a while on this site..

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    11 months ago
"Lifelong Texan here. I am definitely preparing an exit strategy," one anonymous user posted on a Reddit thread about leaving Texas. "From the heat to the stripping away of human rights, I'm just done."

My money is this "anonymous user" couldn't list ANY human rights that are being stripped.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    11 months ago

Probably not but people who don't live there can tell you all about the human rights items. Watch these pages.................

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    11 months ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.1    11 months ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    11 months ago
Probably not but people who don't live there can tell you all about the human rights items.

You didn't know?  The people who have never been somewhere can tell you everything that is wrong with that place.  You know, because they heard from a friend who heard from a friend...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

I lived in TX during the Ann Richards years. Good time to live in TX. Then George Bush came to the thrown.

Arkansas isn't any better. Sarah Sanders who was only elected in 2022, is suffering the lowest approval ratings of any AR governor so far. The people that voted her are the ones who would love living in TX where they say all the nasty things they want about people of color or different sexuality.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    11 months ago

texas rwnj gov't is so corrupt now, it's mostly a criminal enterprise. I don't know which is worse, the outright rwnj racists/bigots, rwnj's that deny any past institutionalized racism or bigotry ever, or the ones that are too fucking stupid to realize they're racists/bigots...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @4.1    11 months ago

That is quite a charge.

I needed a laugh today.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.1    11 months ago

Arkansas was fixin' to be the most corrupt with Clinton, Tucker, then Mike Huckabee. But then cam Mike Beebe and Asa Hutchinson and they cleaned the place up.

And now we have Sarah Cuntabee fixin' to make it all dirty again

George
Junior Expert
4.1.3  George  replied to  devangelical @4.1    11 months ago
the ones that are too fucking stupid to realize they're racists/bigots...

We call those people democrats now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    11 months ago

You apparently find the truth amusing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    11 months ago

I read something about a scandal with Ms. Sarah but I forget what it was all about.  Must take after dear old daddy Fuckabee.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.5    11 months ago

She bought a 19,000 dollar podium.

The prison down the road builds them for next to nothing...cost of materials.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    11 months ago

So how is Sarah dirtying it up for you?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.1.8  Gazoo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.7    11 months ago

I don’t think she is yet because the post said she’s “fixin’ to,,,,”

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    11 months ago

The piece begins by admitting that more people are coming to Texas than leaving.

Look at the idiotic title.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    11 months ago

in TX where they say all the nasty things they want about people of color or different sexuality.

What part of Texas is that, exactly?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2    11 months ago

[Deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    11 months ago

Yes, people do move around from time to time. It is a good indicator that no one's feet are nailed to the ground anywhere in the country. However, some people/state's like to compete with their fellow states. .. and this "practice" is useless in and of itself as the whole country is One. One. One.

Live where you want. For as long as you want. And move somewhere else if/when you want.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    11 months ago

Although more people are moving to Texas than leaving it, some Texans are packing up for states with lower property taxes and more inclusivity.

I'm glad we established that more are coming in than leaving. (The opposite of California)

What I want to see is some valid proof that people who move from Texas are doing so because they want more fucking inclusivity.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    11 months ago

No one has to lie about this. You know you could conduct your own surveys of the people moving in/out of Texas.  And as far as Texas goes-it is definitely not mandating inclusivity when it deliberately enacts policies which are exclusive. . . such as mandating no abortions or extremely limiting abortions as the case may be. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    11 months ago
What I want to see is some valid proof that people who move from Texas are doing so because they want more fucking inclusivity.

That's actually not far fetched. 

Lots of people moved to Austin, thinking it would be an oasis of liberalism or some other nonsense.  It's liberal by Texas standards, but I doubt it holds a candle to major areas on "the left coast".

So...."not as liberal as where I came from" plus "how fucking hot can a place be?" equals "I'm taking my sweaty ass back to LA".

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    11 months ago
Nick Thomas, 30, moved to Austin from downtown Los Angeles in January 2021 and told BI in August he hoped to move back to California soon. He said Austin was a "watered-down" version of places he'd previously lived, such as Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I guess not enough homeless tent cities and shit piles on the sidewalks for him.  His app was useless.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8  Jasper2529    11 months ago

What I find humorous is that some people don't know that the major Texas cities have been controlled by oppressive, corrupt Democrat mayors and city councils for decades, and that this fact alone could be why decent, hard-working people of all races finally woke up and have relocated to safer, cleaner cities.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @8    11 months ago

Boy have you got that backwards!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @8.1    11 months ago
Boy have you got that backwards!

How so? Can you provide evidence to prove your claim that mine is "backwards"?

I can prove evidence of my comment. Except for 1964–1973 and 1978-1982, Houston has been run by a Democrat mayor since approximately 1921.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.1    11 months ago

Yet, you provided no zero zip evidence for your halfbaked weak worn theory of blaming Blue Cities in Texas which is contrary to the actual evidence as reported in the article...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @8.1.2    11 months ago

See comment 8.1.1

Dallas ... run mostly by Democrats ...

Need more? I'll gladly do the research for you.

You're welcome!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.3    11 months ago
Dallas ... run mostly by Democrats ...

Actually..... the mayor switched parties this year.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Jack_TX @8.1.4    11 months ago
Actually..... the mayor switched parties this year.

In comment 8.1.3 I said " mostly run by Democrats". Here's a chart that proves my comment is accurate and factual:

shona1
Professor Quiet
9  shona1    11 months ago

Morning..well one Texas citizen I know is about to migrate to the Great Southern Land..far as we are concerned Texas loss our gain..

We will convert her to eating Vegemite and driving on the right side of the road in no time...

Might take awhile to grasp our language but she'll be right...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  shona1 @9    11 months ago
driving on the right side of the road

Don't you mean correct side? Just funnin' with ya

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
9.2  Jack_TX  replied to  shona1 @9    11 months ago
We will convert her to eating Vegemite and driving on the right side of the road in no time...

She drives on the right side now. ;)

shona1
Professor Quiet
9.2.1  shona1  replied to  Jack_TX @9.2    11 months ago

Nah you mob have always got it wrong..😁🦘🐨

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  shona1 @9.2.1    11 months ago

So long as she remembers what's really important with living down under....

shona1
Professor Quiet
9.2.3  shona1  replied to  Snuffy @9.2.2    11 months ago

Yet!! 😁😁

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @9.2.2    11 months ago

That's the little fella I was thinking of in my comment above

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @9    11 months ago

I would move to Australia but my daughter is afraid of it. She says critters down there want to kill you.

We have critters in Arkansas that want to kill you

shona1
Professor Quiet
9.3.1  shona1  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3    11 months ago

Morning trouty...you are perfectly safe here..well most of the time, sort of, usually you are, the chances of been bitten are...

Umm well I guess a poor French back packer did die the other month from snake bite here in Victoria...

Then there were a few shark attacks in South Australia last month...but all the victims survived.. just a few chomp marks...

A teen in Sydney was bitten by a funnel web in his bed early this year but he lived..he would have been cactus but we have anti venom for that...

So if you are careful where you walk, swim and live..see you'll be right, no worries..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @9.3.1    11 months ago

See? Optimism!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.3.3  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3.2    11 months ago

And optimism is a good thing.  Just remember to properly dress for the continent and you'll be fine...

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

shona1
Professor Quiet
9.3.4  shona1  replied to  Snuffy @9.3.3    11 months ago

One kick from a roo and he will be flat on his back and cactus..🤣

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.3.5  Snuffy  replied to  shona1 @9.3.4    11 months ago

But will he feel it?  hehe

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.3.6  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3    11 months ago

Don't be fooled by his smile and beguiling appearance, the Quokka may look cute and cuddly but has been known on many occasions after smiling at you to jump and give you a smooch (kiss) and make off with any goodies you may have. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
9.3.7  shona1  replied to  Kavika @9.3.6    11 months ago

Give you a smooch 🤣🤣

Look at the eyes..

He is thinking "lunch"...

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.3.8  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @9.3.5    11 months ago

Trust me, you do not want to get into a fight with a Roo. Their kick will put you in the hospital and a punch with their fist will do this to you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7fNNx3v9wL5qH0BlrRK0eYijWZhiII8HFEg&usqp=CAU

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.3.6    11 months ago

They throw their babies at you when they feel threatened, too

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @9.3.7    11 months ago

He is adorable and I think he wants to share his lunch

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.3.8    11 months ago

They're nasty beasties

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
9.3.12  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3    11 months ago
I would move to Australia but my daughter is afraid of it. She says critters down there want to kill you.

Unless things have changed drastically since 2010, she should be fine as long as she avoids horses, cattle and dogs.

I don't know how common rabies is in your area of Arkansas, but I always keep an eye out for strange behavior in my dogs and cats.  Over the last two decades, I have had to shoot a couple of my dogs and one cat because they exhibited symptoms of rabies.  So if you have pets that roam freely, please acquaint yourself with symptoms of rabies and always pay attention to any odd behavior.

Here are the animals REALLY most likely to kill you in Australia - Australian Geographic

BETWEEN 2000 AND 2010, there were 254 reported and confirmed animal-related deaths in Australia, according to the latest report from an online database of coronial cases.

That’s probably not surprising, considering our country’s reputation – home to some of the world’s   most deadly snakes , pretty   scary spiders , plus some surprisingly   venomous critters   such as the cone snail, box jellyfish and blue-ringed octopus.

And let’s not forgot our most ferocious predators,   sharks  and saltwater crocodiles.

We even have   a plant   that, while not fatal, has a sting so excruciating it may have once been investigated for use in biological warfare.

These are the horror stories that spread across the globe and give our continent its fearsome reputation – however, the animals that really risk our lives are far more commonplace.

Horses and cows and dogs, oh my!

Back in 2011, Australia’s National Coronial Information System (NCIS) released its most recent report into the trends and patterns surrounding animal-related deaths in Australia, covering the first decade of this century.

Of the 254 confirmed and reported animal-related deaths during that 10-year period, horses, cows and dogs were the most frequent culprits, accounting for 137 deaths.

Horses (including ponies and donkeys) were the most ‘deadly’ animal in Australia, causing 77 deaths in 10 years, mostly related to falls. Cows (including bulls and cattle/bovine) accounted for 33 deaths – 16 by causing motor vehicle accidents, the rest by crushing, piercing or ‘unknown’. The majority of the 27 deaths caused by the third biggest killer, dogs, were from attacks, with those deaths mostly occurring in children under four years old and in elderly people.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
9.3.13  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @9.3.12    11 months ago

Cute article...

Welcome to Australia, a land of creatures out to kill you... maybe (theconversation.com)

It comes down to understanding, appreciating and respecting the amazing diversity nature has provided us. We need to learn about prevention methods and understand correct first aid.

This, together with the ongoing research and improvements in clinical care and the accessibility, affordability, effective management and treatment of bites and stings in Australia, actually make it one of the safest places in the world, and certainly not one of the deadliest.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @9.3.12    11 months ago

Rabies is endemic in Arkansas same as any other state. My cat really doesn't roam too far from the house but I keep a good eye on her. She hears other cats fighting with each other in the woods and I tell her to mind her own business.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10  Jasper2529    11 months ago
Marie Bailey and her family moved to Prosper, Texas in 2017 , where she is now a realtor helping other Californians make the move to The Lone Star State. Courtesy of Marie Bailey As Texas starts to   lose its edge   as an inexpensive and affordable housing choice, many locals are shifting their focus to the Midwest

--------------

Prosper  is a town in  Collin  and  Denton  counties in the  U.S. state  of  Texas . Prosper is located within the  Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan area . As of the  2010 census , its population was 9,423; [4]  As of 2023, the population was 37,746. [5]

According to the US Census, it doesn't seem that people are moving out of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
11  Nerm_L    11 months ago

Well, of course, people are leaving Texas.  They're being bused to New York.  And Eric Adams has stained his frillies because of it.