╌>

Almost Twice As Many Democrats As Republicans Believe The ‘Holocaust Is A Myth,’ New Poll Finds

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  10 months ago  •  58 comments

Almost Twice As Many Democrats As Republicans Believe The ‘Holocaust Is A Myth,’ New Poll Finds

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats are leading the charge when it comes to believing the Holocaust is a myth, a new survey by YouGov showed.

Of those who answered the   YouGov survey , 10% of Democrats believe the Holocaust is a myth. Conversely, 6% of Republicans also believe the Holocaust is a myth. While the majority of Americans do, in fact, believe the Holocaust was a real event, most who deny it are under the age of 30, according to   the poll .

Roughly 20% of people from ages 18 to 29 believe the Holocaust is a myth, while 36% in the same age group said Israel “exploits Holocaust victimhood,” YouGov found. Roughly 10% of all men deny the Holocaust took place, while only 4% of women thought the same, according to the poll.

More Americans said   antisemitism   is a major problem in 2023 compared to 2019, although Democrats and Republicans disagreed on if boycotting Israel is antisemitic, according to the poll. Democrats and Republicans also reportedly disagreed over which demographic was most   victimized   by hate crimes.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    10 months ago

As we reap the continuing benefits of progressives controlling education and culture 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    10 months ago

What nonsense.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    10 months ago

This is along the lines of saying that someone who has three dollars has 300% more money than someone who has one dollar. Sounds impressive until you realize what sort of numbers you are talking about. 

10 to 6 is more notable , in the context of 100 , for how close the two numbers are , not how far apart they are. 

Leaving that aside, polls taken this war strike me as very unreliable. Emotions are running high. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    10 months ago

Do you know how many polls you’ve cited with similar numbers and smaller differences?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    10 months ago
See the   toplines   and   crosstabs   from the Economist/YouGov poll conducted on December 2 - 5, 2023 among 1,500 U.S. adult citizens.

The poll was taken from Dec 5 to 7, only a few days ago.  17,000 Gazans have been killed , mostly by Israeli missiles and bombs. It somewhat stands to reason that people who think the killing of civilians is unjustified have a lesser , and maybe uninformed, opinion of who is to blame, and why. 

The poll may be accurate, but the timing puts the accuracy into considerable question, imo. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    10 months ago

17,000 Gazans have been killed , mostly by Israeli missiles and bombs.

says Hamas. That Hamas propaganda is blindly accepted on the left speaks to the problem.

but almost 50% of 18-29 years olds, our future, either don’t believe the Holocaust happened or can’t say for sure.  Doesn’t seem DEI like and inventing infinite pronouns is working out great in our schools.  

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    10 months ago

[deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    10 months ago
17,000 Gazans have been killed , mostly by Israeli missiles and bombs.

Sad, isn't it?

Maybe Palestinians will tire one day of being used by Hamas.

Maybe one day Palestinians will reject being represented by terrorists.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.1    10 months ago

You are now on the record as cheering on the killing of civilians, including thousands of children. Wonderful. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.4  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    10 months ago

Cheering? That comment is delusional. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  George @3.1.4    10 months ago

Here is your opportunity to be clear.

"17,000 Gazans have been killed" includes civilians.   I am sure you did not intend to proclaim that you want more civilians killed, but your language choice was poor.

Maybe instead of "Gazans" you were thinking "Hamas militants only".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.5    10 months ago
"17,000 Gazans have been killed" includes civilians.

2/3 of the dead gazans are women and children, even assuming some of the women are Hamas fighters, we are still looking the majority of the dead being non combatants , and many many of them children. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    10 months ago

Collateral damage, while sad and tragic, is expected when you harbor, live, eat, work, play and pray with terrorists.

Palestinians should do something!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    10 months ago
2/3 of the dead gazans are women and children,

That's Hamas Propaganda. There is zero reason to believe that bears any relation to reality.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.9    10 months ago
The aerial bombing campaign by   Israel   in Gaza is the most indiscriminate in terms of civilian casualties in recent years, a study published by an Israeli newspaper has found.

The   analysis in Haaretz   came as Israeli forces fought to consolidate their control of northern Gaza on Saturday, bombing the Shejaiya district of Gaza City, while also conducting airstrikes on Rafah, a town on the southern border with Egypt where the Israeli army has told people in Gaza to take shelter.

The full death toll from the past 24 hours was unclear but the main hospital in central Gaza, at Deir al-Balah, reported it received 71 bodies, and 62 bodies were taken to Nasser hospital in the main southern city of Khan Younis, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Civilians make up 61% of Gaza deaths from airstrikes, Israeli study finds | Israel-Gaza war | The Guardian

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    10 months ago

This is how terrorists are dealt with.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.12  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.9    10 months ago

So that’s a completely different number coming from a very left wing sociologist with an obvious political agenda. 

every time he Israel acts, he claims they’ve lost restraint. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    10 months ago

We heard so much about how Israels war effort would being hampered by the recent pause to exchange hostages for prisoners in the west bank. The truth is Israel picked up right where they left off. If Israel keeps going the way they are, no more hostages will come home. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.13    10 months ago
exchange hostages for prisoners in the west bank. The truth is Israel picked up right where they left off.

And why wouldn't they?

The terrorists still threaten Israel, and must be exterminated.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.13    10 months ago
The truth is Israel picked up right where they left off.

What is Hamas doing now?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.8    10 months ago
That's Hamas Propaganda. There is zero reason to believe that bears any relation to reality.

There is no reason not to believe it considering the types of weapons being used. Bunker Buster Bombs up to 2,000 lbs. 155 millimeter howitzers, 120 MBT guns, hellfire missiles.

To date Israel has dropped 40,000 tons of bombs on Gaza, if you understand the power and kill radius you could easily see that many people are being killed. There are few buildings left standing let alone any intact. 

The density of Gaza is a bit over 42,000 people per square mile.

BTW, in 1982 the same thing happened when Israel went to war against Hezbollah and shelled them day and night killing numerous civilians. It was Ronald Reagan who put end to the Israel bombing when he called Menachem Begen and told him to stop because was causing a Holocaust. Begin stopped then and there.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.17  George  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.9    10 months ago
2/3 of the dead gazans are women and children

So you make a definitive statement that 2/3’s ARE women and children. Then post this as your source.

61% of the deaths were civilians where SOME are women and children.

So John, where is the figure showing 2/3’s are women and children? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  George @3.1.17    10 months ago

This is bizarre.   

What percentage of the 17,000 Hamas deaths do you believe are non-combatant civilians?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  George @3.1.17    10 months ago
As of Friday Nov 7, 67% of all deaths in Gaza were made up of women and children while thousands more have been injured,  according  to several U.N. agencies, including the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), the United Nations sexual and reproductive health agency (UNFPA) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Why women, children are disproportionately impacted by the conflict in Gaza: Experts - ABC News (go.com)

The numbers vary according to when and how they are being counted. 

Since you have said the death toll should be higher, what do you care ? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.20  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @3.1.16    10 months ago
There is no reason not to believe it considering the types of weapons being used.

Sure. Just like there was no reason when the same organization claimed 500 people were killed in a hospital bombed by Israel.  Funny how the same people who unquestioningly parroted that claim, parrot this one. 

Here's my rule of thumb. Hamas lies.  There's no reason to believe they are ever telling the truth about anything. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.21  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.19    10 months ago

The source for those numbers is Hamas.  Those organizations simply parrot what Hamas reports. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.21    10 months ago

How many children do YOU think have been killed in Gaza ? 

I have never seen an Israeli military or government spokesperson say there are few civilian casualties. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.23  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.18    10 months ago

Just curious...

You would think that since Hamas is a propaganda machine, they would post videos of bodies being pulled from the rubble, especially of children, or scenes of mass graves, again mostly of children, to meet their narrative that so many leftists worldwide believe that Israel is committing genocide,.

We have not seen those images to mitigate the claim of 17000 dead.

Why would you believe a propaganda machine?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.24  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3.1.16    10 months ago
BTW, in 1982 the same thing happened when Israel went to war against Hezbollah and shelled them day and night killing numerous civilians. It was Ronald Reagan who put end to the Israel bombing when he called Menachem Begen and told him to stop because was causing a Holocaust. Begin stopped then and there.

I have recently been watching old documentaries and old film footage shot as recently as Bill Clinton at Camp David trying to strike a deal between Palestine and Israel 'pre-Hamas' .. I think it is important to recognize the difference between pre-Hamas conflicts and post Hamas conflicts...

I do not know if the retribution for the brutal slaughter of civilians in Israel on October 7 can be stopped at the drop a hat. .. I use the word retribution for lack of a better term, as I cannot define for Israelis what they feel. During the 'humanitarian pause' the gnashing of teeth and biting of fingernails could be heard worldwide. No one knew what would happen, how long it would hold.  I think we all knew that Hamas would not ultimately nor completely comply to the conditions of the 'humanitarian pause' ....

Israel as a nation is at threat, they are damn'd if they do and damn'd if they don't.  .. the 'world' is condemning the loss of life in Gaza .. which is interesting .. millions exited Syria, 100s of thousands were murdered while the world ignored it. 

My question is, can the hands of Israel be tied behind their back at this juncture in history and still survive as a Nation?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.25  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.22    10 months ago
w many children do YOU think have been killed in Gaza ? 

I have no idea and I'm not going to simply parrot Hamas so I can give a meaningless number. Common sense will tell you its significantly lower than Hamas claims. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.26  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.25    10 months ago

The Israeli military admits they have killed a lot of children. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.27  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.26    10 months ago

Yes...an unfortunate result of war.

Those that live in Palestine have been given many chances to leave to a safe area.

If they did not and children were killed, then blame Hamas and their parents.

Not Israel.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.28  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @3.1.23    10 months ago
Why would you believe a propaganda machine?

What, specifically, do you think I believe?   Did you read my comment carefully?   Answer:  obviously not.

To make it crystal clear, bugsy, I was asking George what percentage of the Hamas deaths were civilians.

I used the phrase "17,000 Hamas deaths" to be clear that I was asking about the very people he was speaking of.

That does not mean that I believe the 17,000 number ... it is merely a reference for continuity.

Basic English discourse.   

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.29  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.24    10 months ago
My question is, can the hands of Israel be tied behind their back at this juncture in history and still survive as a Nation?

Can they survive as a nation under their present course? Israel cannot eradicate Hamas, it is a terrorist organization and an ideology, kill one another pops up. Chop off one limb and they grow another. They simply reconstitute and continue on at times with the same name or they just change names. Is the Taliban wiped out or ISIS? No they are not.

They have been at war for decades and little has changed, every couple of years you have another war with terrorist attacks in between. And if they continue on this way there will be another war or more in the future. IMO a two state solution must be found and the Terrorists must not be accepted by the Palestinians for it to work.

In the Lebanon war the number killed ranged between 19K and 46K. There is never an accurate number and an additional one million fled Lebanon.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.20    10 months ago

You can believe what you want, Sean but from the weapons used and the destruction in Gaza I don't see that number as way off base. 

My rule of thumb is that the exact number will probably never be know, but thousands have died. How many do you want to die, Sean. More or less Palestinians.

How do you know the number because you believe that Hamas lies, shit, the US lies, Israel lies, Hezbollah lies they are fricking lie. The best one can do is put together a senario that takes certain things into consideration and go from there.

Hamas does not diffrentiate between civilians and fights being killed the best guess is that around 5,000 Hamas terrorists have been killed and are in that number of 17000.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.31  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.28    10 months ago
That does not mean that I believe the 17,000 number

Then maybe you should have not been vague with your comment.

A clarification of the comment that you do not believe the number would have been appreciated.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.32  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @3.1.31    10 months ago

There was nothing vague about my comment.    My question was regarding the percentage of Hamas deaths that were civilians.  

The fact that you cannot distinguish a reference to a phrase for continuity from a claim is your failure to read English, not vagueness on my part.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.33  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.32    10 months ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.34  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.32    10 months ago

Do you believe the 17000 number is propaganda?

If you do not, then your 3.1.18 is null and void.

If you do believe the 17000, then you believe a propagandist and terrorist group.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.35  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @3.1.34    10 months ago
Do you believe the 17000 number is propaganda?

My first assumption is that anything from Hamas is propaganda.   

If you do not, then your  3.1.18  is null and void.

Your reasoning is fundamentally flawed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.36  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.35    10 months ago
My first assumption is that anything from Hamas is propaganda.   

Thank you for clarifying.

"Your reasoning is fundamentally flawed"

No, my reasoning is sound. Always has been.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.37  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3.1.29    10 months ago
Is the Taliban wiped out or ISIS? No they are not.

No, but Daesh's dick was severely knocked into the dirt  ...The Taliban had Pakistan to fall back to, they had a haven within running distance that Hamas does not have, I do understand that hate is an ideology, and it continues to manifest itself, hate can never be destroyed - that bears out throughout history, not just US history.  Yet that has never stopped the fight against it.

They have been at war for decades and little has changed, every couple of years you have another war with terrorist attacks in between.

How many of those started with the slaughter of at least 1200 civilians and the abduction of 240 more?

IMO a two state solution must be found and the Terrorists must not be accepted by the Palestinians for it to work.

I do not know if that can be accomplished .. Palestine does not know how to govern itself - so who establishes 'democracy' ..?  We know the Palestinian leaders in the West Bank are not the answer.  Israel does not have the trust of the people of Palestine - they may be able to provide the necessary security Palestine will need for a time, but not govern.

There is never an accurate number and an additional one million fled Lebanon.

There never can be an actuate number, from any conflict - I am not sure that 6 million Jews slaughtered in WWII is a true representative of the actual numbers .. I think it is safe to say that there is NO accurate number of Indigenous peoples slaughtered in the conquest of the lands that are now the United States.

Thanks for the civility .. much appreciated.

Peace...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.38  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.37    10 months ago
No, but Daesh's dick was severely knocked into the dirt  ...The Taliban had Pakistan to fall back to, they had a haven within running distance that Hamas does not have, I do understand that hate is an ideology, and it continues to manifest itself, hate can never be destroyed - that bears out throughout history, not just US history.  Yet that has never stopped the fight against it.

Yes, they did have a place to run and much of it was in the mountains of Afgh. You are correct it has almost never stopped the fight against it, except when we see things like Syria, Africa, and Myanmar then it seems a blind eye pops up to avoid it.

How many of those started with the slaughter of at least 1200 civilians and the abduction of 240 more?

None that I am aware of but, there have been horrible terrorist attacks, two that stand out to me is Munich and the Beirut bombing of the embassy and Marine Corps barracks in Beirut which were a continuation of the Israel Lebanon war. So it is tried to the ME and the wars there and sadly it was hundreds of Americans that were killed with no retaliation.

There never can be an actuate number, from any conflict - I am not sure that 6 million Jews slaughtered in WWII is a true representative of the actual numbers .. I think it is safe to say that there is NO accurate number of Indigenous peoples slaughtered in the conquest of the lands that are now the United States.

That is absolutely true especially when it comes to the two groups that you named.

Waanakiwin (Peace)

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.39  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3.1.38    10 months ago
except when we see things like Syria, Africa, and Myanmar then it seems a blind eye pops up to avoid it.

One of my pet peeves, do not think I will ever be able to wrap my mind around why .. We were wading in the middle of Syria, but still a blind eye was turned .. Obama knew something needed to be done, he drew a redline .. but was in over his head and the ball got punted to congress - yet another damn'd if he did, damn'd if he did not situation.

two that stand out to me is Munich and the Beirut bombing of the embassy and Marine Corps barracks in Beirut which were a continuation of the Israel Lebanon war.

Good reminder of the length of the history between the US and Israel .. and the toll that has been exacted.

I wish I had the answers .. but alas so far above my pay grade, I just try to educate myself in hopes of developing a more informed opinion - which I can still fail to accomplish  : )

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.40  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.39    10 months ago
One of my pet peeves, do not think I will ever be able to wrap my mind around why .. We were wading in the middle of Syria, but still a blind eye was turned .. Obama knew something needed to be done, he drew a redline .. but was in over his head and the ball got punted to congress - yet another damn'd if he did, damn'd if he did not situation.

Pretty much, Colour Me Free.

Good reminder of the length of the history between the US and Israel .. and the toll that has been exacted.

It is and it goes back to the 1930s.

I wish I had the answers .. but alas so far above my pay grade, I just try to educate myself in hopes of developing a more informed opinion - which I can still fail to accomplish  : )

Know the feeling.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    10 months ago
17,000 Gazans have been killed

Why do you believe Hamas propaganda and not demand proof of such reported deaths.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @3.2    10 months ago

I dont "believe" Hamas. In any case thousands of childrens have been killed in Gaza. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.1    10 months ago
In any case thousands of childrens have been killed in Gaza. 

Again.....an unfortunate result of war.

Blame Hamas and the children's parents for not getting them out of harm's way.

Israel holds zero responsibility.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    10 months ago

D or R, anyone who believes the Holocaust is a myth is a delusional anti Semite.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @4    10 months ago

That sums up this 'article' in a nutshell.

Awesome!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    10 months ago
While the majority of Americans do, in fact, believe the Holocaust was a real event, most who deny it are under the age of 30

That's most likely because these young people get their news, "history", and "facts" from radical left wing sources like NYT, Instagram, TikTok, and their left wing high school and post-secondary "teachers".