╌>

These 125 Democrats voted against a resolution declaring that the presidents of Harvard and MIT should resign after recent antisemitism testimony

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  10 months ago  •  18 comments

By:   Story by bmetzger@insider.com (Bryan Metzger)

These 125 Democrats voted against a resolution declaring that the presidents of Harvard and MIT should resign after recent antisemitism testimony
"If the speech turns into conduct, it can be harassment," Magill replied at one point, an answer largely consistent with the principles of free speech but arguably tone-deaf in the current political context.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• Most Democrats voted against a resolution condemning antisemitism on college campuses.
  • That's because the resolution essentially called for the presidents of Harvard and MIT to resign.
  • It comes after a contentious hearing led to the resignation of Penn President Liz Magill.

The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed a  resolution  condemning antisemitism on college campuses in the wake of a  contentious and viral hearing  on the topic last week.

The resolution, which essentially calls for the presidents of Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to resign, was ultimately opposed by 125 House Democrats — a strong majority of the caucus.

Republican Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky, who has voted against  multiple  pro-Israel resolutions in recent weeks, also voted no.

Meanwhile, three House Democrats voted present: Reps. Julia Brownley and Jimmy Gomez of California, and Rep. Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania.

It's the latest contentious resolution to hit the House floor since the October 7 Hamas terrorist attack, coming in the wake of a resolution  affirming  support for Israel, a resolution  affirming  the Jewish state's right to exist, and a resolution  equating  anti-Zionism with antisemitism.

And it's not even the first resolution on campus antisemitism since October 7 — the House passed a  resolution  condemning "all forms of antisemitism on college campuses" on November 2.

'If the speech turns into conduct, it can be harassment'

On Tuesday of last week, the House Education and the Workforce Committee held a hearing on antisemitism on college campuses that included testimony from the presidents of three elite universities: Liz Magill of the University of Pennsylvania, Claudine Gay of Harvard University, and Sally Kornbluth of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

During their testimony, each of them condemned antisemitism.

"I have condemned antisemitism publicly, regularly, and in the strongest possible terms," Magill said during her testimony. "And today, let me reiterate my and Penn's unyielding commitment to combating it. We immediately investigate any hateful act, cooperating with both law enforcement and the FBI, where we have identified individuals who have committed these acts in violation of either policy or law."

But it was ultimately Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York's questioning of Magill and the other presidents that went viral.

When Stefanik asked each witness whether calls for the genocide of Jews constituted a violation of their universities' codes of conduct, each university president gave largely legalistic answers to what came across as a moral question.

"If the speech turns into conduct, it can be harassment," Magill replied at one point, an answer largely consistent with the principles of free speech but arguably tone-deaf in the current political context.

But the repercussions have been swift, with Magill  resigning  her position  under pressure  over the weekend.

"One down," Stefanik  wrote on X  after Magill's resignation announcement. "Two to go."

During a debate on the resolution on Wednesday, Stefanik boasted that the exchange had "made history as the most watched congressional testimony in history, with over one billion views."

'No interest in meaningless resolutions'

Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, a Jewish progressive, spoke out against the resolution during the floor debate on Wednesday.

While acknowledging the problem of antisemitism on college campuses — as well as the "overly legalistic and ethically tone-deaf" testimony of the college presidents — he took issue with a portion of the resolution arguing that the presidents of Harvard and MIT "should" resign.

"Whereas President Magill has resigned, and the other Presidents should follow suit," reads one line of the  resolution .

"Where is the common sense in the Congress of the United States of America?" asked Raskin, arguing that the resolution amount to an "academic scarlet letter" and that the university presidents should be afforded "the kind of due process that even George Santos got."

And Democratic Rep. Kathy Manning of North Carolina — who recently  accused  Stefanik of plagiarizing a letter she'd written about campus antisemitism — also spoke out against the resolution.

"I have no interest in meaningless resolutions that do nothing to address the underlying issue of antisemitism," said Manning, who ultimately voted for the resolution.

Here are the 125 Democrats — plus Massie — who voted against the resolution,  according to  the House Clerk:

AA1lsHJS.img?w=768&h=503&m=6

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    10 months ago

Let's watch them squirm one more time:

It is coming from the left.  Sooner or later American Jews will have to recognize that fact.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    10 months ago
"It is coming from the left.  Sooner or later American Jews will have to recognize that fact."

I believe that most American Jews agree with the Republicans'/conservatives' support for Israel and stand against antisemitism, but generally prefer the more liberal causes that are supported by the Democrats. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    10 months ago

Agreed.

Does that mean nothing will change?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    10 months ago

I think that with what has been happening lately in America, and the extent of the support that the conservatives have been showing for Israel, there will be some shift of direction in that regard.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    10 months ago

I think so too. I heard Professor Alan Dershowitz two nights ago say, "It is our friends' kids who are waiving Palestinian flags on campus."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    10 months ago

Are you sure he said exactly that?  One should be careful with homonyms.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    10 months ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    10 months ago

I don't think you understood my comment.  It was grammatical.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    10 months ago

"Dershowitz Calls For 'Total, Unconditional Surrender' Of Hamas"

That title is something I have been saying on this site for a while, because I'm sure the total defeat of Hamas is inevitable and I'm sure nothing is going to stop Israel in its elimination of Hamas, so if Hamas had any intention of preventing further bloodshed of the citizens they were supposed to defend and protect, they would surrender unconditionally.  Every day they don't, more people die.

I wish I could watch Dershowitz's video about that, but please tell me if the text of this article is pretty well what he said:  LINK ->

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Vic Eldred    10 months ago

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu proudly shares a photo from her no whites holiday party.

GBb2IYsXYAA7JIb?format=jpg&name=small

AKA a progressive/racist Christmas

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3  Right Down the Center    10 months ago

Antisemitism and racism is alive and well in the Democrat party.  Now they not only don't hide it they are proud of it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    10 months ago
Now they not only don't hide it they are proud of it.

They really became emboldened after the 2020 election.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    10 months ago

Seems when the squad got away with it many more came out of the racist/antisemite closet.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Vic Eldred    10 months ago

"T eresa Haley, the top official of the Illinois NAACP has been suspended, according to the organization, after a leaked video call with NAACP leaders around the state appears to show her comparing recent migrant arrivals to “savages” and saying “they’ve been raping people.”

ZmCrYPHH?format=jpg&name=small

Illinois NAACP conference president suspended after comments on video saying migrants are ‘like savages’ (msn.com)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    10 months ago

Man, do you remember how apoplectic Democrats were when it was said that Mexico wasn't sending us their best?

The very same people have managed to ignore this latest example of Democratic hypocrisy.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    10 months ago

Just another example of the "it is OK when we do it" mentality of many on the left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    10 months ago

They interpreted that as racism. Now we know who the racists are.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.1    10 months ago

It is pure projection.