╌>

Embattled Harvard President Claudine Gay resigning after plagiarism, antisemitism scandals

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  9 months ago  •  158 comments

By:   nypost (New York Post)

Embattled Harvard President Claudine Gay resigning after plagiarism, antisemitism scandals
Her bombshell resignation comes after months of jockeying over the Israel-Hamas war, antisemitism on campus, and a string of plagiarism scandals.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Harvard President Claudine Gay is resigning Tuesday, marking the shortest-ever presidency in the University's history, the Harvard Crimson reported.

Her bombshell resignation comes after months of jockeying over the Israel-Hamas war, antisemitism on campus, and a string of plagiarism scandals.

Harvard provost Dr. Alan Garber will serve as interim president, a source told the Boston Globe.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    9 months ago

Behind the scenes Barack Obama tried to save her job.

Another staggering loss for the American Marxists at Harvard University.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    9 months ago
Behind the scenes Barack Obama tried to save her job.

Just shows more of his consistent loss of credibility the left will ignore.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    9 months ago

It's all about preserving "diversity."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    9 months ago

And getting even for the loss of Affirmative Action.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    9 months ago

One day in the distant future Harvard may regain it's former glory as a good school. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @2    9 months ago

It's a longshot sir.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    9 months ago

Especially since she's only stepping down as president but will remain on faculty.

In a letter to members of the Harvard community, Gay said she was stepping down as president but will return to the Harvard faculty despite  widespread plagiarism allegations  against her.  Harvard University President Claudine Gay is resigning, report says (foxnews.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    9 months ago

Billionaire Harvard graduate Bill Ackman wasted no time in issuing a public reaction to  Harvard President Claudine Gay  tendering her resignation on Tuesday, delivering a three-word response to the news that indicates he will not let up on another target in his sights.

Ackman has led calls for Gay, University of Pennsylvania President Liz Magill, and MIT President Sally Kornbluth to " resign in disgrace " ever since their disastrous appearances at a House committee hearing on the rise of antisemitism on college campuses last month, when all three refused to say that calling for the genocide of Jews on their respective campuses breached their rules and amounted to harassment.

Bill-Ackman-REUTERS.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Magill resigned days after her testimony, and with Gay now out, Ackman signaled it is time for the only one of the three presidents still remaining in leadership at the Ivy League institutions to step down: MIT's Sally Kornbluth.

Ackman tweeted Tuesday, "Et tu Sally?"

Billionaire alum Bill Ackman reacts to Harvard President Claudine Gay’s resignation (foxbusiness.com)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    9 months ago
"Especially since she's only stepping down as president but will remain on faculty."

She'll be teaching courses on context and plagiarism.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    9 months ago
She'll be teaching courses on context and plagiarism.

Shoot!

I figured she'd be teaching an ethics class!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    9 months ago
"Et tu Sally?"

Brilliant reference and appropriate question.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3  Right Down the Center    9 months ago

It is about time but it does bring up several questions.

Did  she resign because of plagiarisms, antisemite support on the campus or both?

How long will it take the left to blame it on misogyny, racism, homophobia or hate of the day?

How long will it be until she is on MSNBC trying to paint herself as the victim with Rachel Maddow sitting there shaking her head yes.

How long can will this go before someone tries to make it about he who will not be named and MAGA?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    9 months ago
How long will it take the left to blame it on misogyny, racism, homophobia or hate of the day?

A few seconds after she announced stepping down?

Probably already had some prepared remarks ready to go and blame everyone and everything but her own actions.

It's all canned, pre-used lines anyway:

Misogyny, blah, blah, blah, racism, blah, blah, blah, homophobic, blah, blah, blah, conservatives, blah, blah, blah, MAGA, blah, blah, blah.

Lots of name-calling, lots of fake poutrage, lots of fury signifying nothing at all.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    9 months ago
It's all canned, pre-used lines anyway:

Would it really surprise anyone if she plagiarized her apology also?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  George @3.1.1    9 months ago

lol, I was thinking the same as I just read it.  Nothing about plagiarism or her testimony on the Hill.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    9 months ago

“,,,,Probably already had some prepared remarks ready to go,,,,,,,”

and they probably started out like this, “four score and seven years ago,,,,,,,”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @3.1.3    9 months ago
and they probably started out like this, “four score and seven years ago,,,,

LOL!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  George @3.1.1    9 months ago
"Would it really surprise anyone if she plagiarized her apology also?"

That depends upon the context.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    9 months ago
It is about time but it does bring up several questions. Did  she resign because of plagiarisms, antisemite support on the campus or both?

A good portion of her resignment letter focused on racism and misogyny against her. (I was hired to the positions I've held through DEI, but now that I've been caught in plagiarism crimes, I'm a victim!)

Sharpton didn't waste time to blame racism, and that's not a surprise.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.2    9 months ago

It is the epitome of American Marxism. A complete contradiction of Martin Luther King's plea to judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.2.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.2    9 months ago
A good portion of her resignment letter focused on racism and misogyny against her. (I was hired to the positions I've held through DEI, but now that I've been caught in plagiarism crimes, I'm a victim!)

Just another example of a victim can get away worth anything and not be held accountable because they are a victim.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.3  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.1    9 months ago

Please, do NOT take Dr. King out of context and it is offensive to attempt to procure King's words against himself!  Furthermore, the words are ASPIRATIONAL and minorities and other marginalized peoples continue to struggle for justice and freedom and a place in out shared society-from the usual suspects!

MLK’s “I Have A Dream” Speech And Rejecting Colorblindness for Today’s Children

When Dr. King famously said “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character,” the masses gathered at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom understood the context. His "I Have a Dream" speech was premised on the notion that 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, that "the Negro still is not free." Dr. King spoke to the “shameful condition” of the United States defaulting on the promissory note of guaranteeing the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness “insofar as her citizens of color are concerned .” Almost 60 years later, this speech still provides practical guidance about what it will take for the United States to “to make justice a reality for all of God’s children.” The “I Have a Dream” speech proscribes a powerful hope for righting injustices facing children today: creating a world where people are not color blind, but color kind.

Dr. King’s line about not judging his children “by the color of their skin but by the content of their character” is too often shamefully applied to argue against affirmative action or any race-based remedy to historical injustice. But the “I Have a Dream” speech itself contradicts this in his bold call for fighting the fight “until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.” Moreover, his public views before and after this speech included support of the Indian government’s special employment opportunities provided to the caste formally referred to as untouchables as a remedy for these discrimination victims, social reforms for African Americans similar to the G.I. Bill, and a call for “massive” reparations that were bold, but “less expensive than any computation based on two centuries of unpaid wages and accumulated interest." In essence, Dr. King’s argument is not to be color blind, but to be color kind.

Colorblindness is not a solution to righting past wrongs . The fixers must be aware of the need to rectify historical injustices,especially in education. In his 1967 “Where Do We Go From Here” speech, Dr. King highlighted inequity in education, noting that black students “lag one to three years behind whites” and receive far less funding. Over 50 years later, these achievement gaps still persist, rendering foolish any notion that teachers should magically “not see race.”

George
Junior Expert
4  George    9 months ago

Maybe they can get someone who is qualified and didn’t cheat to get there this time. But I fully expect that the racists will base their decision on skin color or sexual orientation and not on qualifications again.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    9 months ago

Only six months as Harvard President, that's got to be a record.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    9 months ago

Racists forced her out …… three, two, one ……

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @6    9 months ago

Serious lack of vetting on Harvard's part.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1    9 months ago

The sad part is they might have been fully aware and hired her anyway.    Had this Hamas thing not poked the hornets nest, this likely never would have come to light.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @6    9 months ago

here’s how the two most popular crt  black scholars scholars reacted:

From Hibram  kendi:

Racist mobs won’t stop until they topple all Black people from positions of power and influence who are not reinforcing the structure of racism. What these racist mobs are doing should be obvious to any reporter who cares about truth or justice as opposed to conflicts and clicks.

from the 1619 founder Nicole Hannah Jones:

Let’s be real. This is an extension of what happened to me at UNC, and it is a glimpse into the future to come. Academic freedom is under attack. Racial justice programs are under attack. Black women will be made to pay. Our so-called allies too often lack any real courage.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2    9 months ago

Amazing

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @6.2.1    9 months ago

there lives are consumed by race and progressives want them teaching kids.  

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.3  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.2    9 months ago

Your life is possibly 99.99 percent consumed by "whiteness standard" or I could write a "conservative standard." Some conservatives talk big and long about others identifying as groups while ignoring the obvious that they are an IDENTITY group themselves. So much obvious shit gets ignored by liberals. . . because tend to want to live and let live. . .but we, liberals, are being required to made conservatives AWARE of themselves!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.2    9 months ago

Vert much agree.

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    9 months ago

So what. She messed up and got caught. . . the SYSTEM (at Harvard) worked in arrears. She got the job fair and square and resigned it fair and square too. 

George
Junior Expert
7.1  George  replied to  CB @7    9 months ago
She got the job fair and square

Bullshit, she lied and is a confirmed cheater who has no integrity. She took the job from a person who had enough integrity to not plagiarize someone else’s work.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  CB  replied to  George @7.1    9 months ago

I SAID she got the job fair and square and lost it fair and square.  Harvard hired her and released her too. As to what was known to Harvard when I don't know and at this point I don't need to know. And no I don't concern myself with her skin color if you wonder. I am a bit confused as to whether or not Harvard vetted her properly before hiring her.

Now you can have your partisan bullshit all you want this year, but I will not be a party to the noise, as I am tired of all these years of acrimony on NT!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  George @7.1    9 months ago

“At Harvard, does borrowing sentences from some work done by others violate Harvard plagiarism rules? 

“It can be, depending on the context,” Gay responded.

George
Junior Expert
7.1.3  George  replied to  CB @7.1.1    9 months ago

Weird, you are the only one mentioning skin color or partisan bullshit. Harvard absolutely failed in their screening process or this piece of crap cheater would have never gotten a job she wasn’t qualified to hold.

Multiple instances of cheating from a person who has no integrity.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.4  CB  replied to  George @7.1.3    9 months ago

Firstly, I have the right to speak about skin color as much as you if you choose. I am a person of color and I like my skin color and am not ashamed to mention it. Secondly, you recognize (as I do) that Harvard, esteemed as it is, missed something (important) in its screening process and that is on Harvard. Why? For it is impossible for her to hire herself into the role of president. 

Other than that, I want you to stop trying to make my comments into a defense of Ms. Gay who messed herself up. I don't care about her difficulty of resignation she did it and they no longer choose to let it slide if they ever did have the choice to do so (let her slide on it).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  George @7.1.3    9 months ago
Harvard absolutely failed in their screening process or this piece of crap cheater would have never gotten a job she wasn’t qualified to hold.

She checked certain boxes, so actually vetting her was unnecessary.

George
Junior Expert
7.1.6  George  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    9 months ago

They should revoke her doctorate and she should be barred from holding a position of trust at the university, she lacks the moral character to do so.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  George @7.1.3    9 months ago
Multiple instances of cheating from a person who has no integrity.

And she's still on the Harvard payroll and allowed to indoctrinate students.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @7.1.1    9 months ago

No one with her meager scholarly output would have been even considered for that job except for politics, 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.9  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.8    9 months ago

Well, lucky YOU get to prove that ASSERTION you delivered. And I know you will do it, and since the operative words are "no one" - you have the goal of telling us how her Harvard selection interview/s and corporation decision-making took place. Go!

If you can't do that, perhaps you shouldn't make invalid assertions just to exploit her situation. I include "sarcasm tags" when I wish to be 'amusing.' You can do it too!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.2  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @7    9 months ago
She got the job fair and square

Not according to Dr. Carol Swain, Professor Emeritus at Vanderbilt, and many others. Among the dozens of works Gay plagiarized over dozens of years were those of Dr. Swain. 

I'm sure that you want to believe Gay just made a mistake, but it's not true. She cheated to get the top job!

A prominent professor has called for the immediate sacking of Harvard University president Claudine Gay to steer the school “back towards sanity” after she allegedly plagiarized other academics’ work 40 times. Political science professor Dr. Carol Swain, formerly of Vanderbilt University, claims Gay used sections of a book she published in 1993 and an article published in 1997 without crediting her.

and resigned it fair and square too.

Again, not true. In her resignation letter, she blamed "racism" against her and nothing else.

By the way, Dr. Swain is a Black woman!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.1  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.2    9 months ago

So she cheated. She got the job and she got caught and she resigned. So now WHAT?! 

Now she can go on welfare and SNAP and "thankfully" it will be there for her.  Or, just hold a tin cup at the homeless shelter in 2024. That is, assuming she will be kicked out of tenure as a professor because of the 'howls' of her conservative critics who want her to go begging into the 'wilderness.' 

I don't care about it and it won't do me any good to continue remarking on it. But, you can keep trashing her like the 'dirty, filthy, rotten, evil, 'dog' that she is for having taken a job she was unworthy to serve in.  /s

Let me know when you are done. . . . 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.2.1    9 months ago
That is, assuming she will be kicked out of tenure as a professor because of the 'howls' of her conservative critics who want her to go begging into the 'wilderness.' 

The loudest howls later this month will be from faculty and students as the see this double standard play out.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.3  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.2.2    9 months ago

Then maybe she should get a head start to the 'Wilderness.' Howl away, get her 'gone' already! :)

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.2.3    9 months ago

No need to go to the “Wilderness”, her husband has a Harvard PhD and a good job at Stanford. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.5  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.2.4    9 months ago

Maybe some conservatives should check out his credentials too!  Since you know so much about. . .it . . . may be he is a questionable 'sort' too.  Go through his 'papers' and see what can be found to throw the 'bum' out!  /s 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.2.5    9 months ago

I’m sure that some have already started.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.7  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.2.6    9 months ago

Let me know what they find out about the 'bum' with a weak PH.D (perhaps).  jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif   /s  

Toss all the cheaters out! Reckless and irresponsible people using the system to steal into the limelight and to get where they need to be! Afterwards, let them all eat peon food and do peon labor - together - in marriage - opposite sex - no abortion 'land.'  Too bad, the governor of Massachusetts is a democrat! She really ought to get involved and run all the plagiarists out of work and out of state!    /s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    9 months ago

Is this resignation in place of being fired?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @8    9 months ago

Does it really matter? She's history either way.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.1    9 months ago

Only as president, in her resignation letter she states she will remain on faculty.  See 2.1.1

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.1    9 months ago

Looks like Harvard lacks the guts to shitcan her.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    9 months ago

Wakey, wakey.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10  Texan1211    9 months ago

What the hell were the folks at Harvard thinking when they hired this embarrassment?

And what took so long to get rid of her when it is so clear she is a plagiarest?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @10    9 months ago

Those folks at Harvard obviously were not thinking or Gay would never have gotten the position to begin with.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @10.1    9 months ago

This is what you get when you don't properly vet your hires and focus on DEI instead of accomplishments.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.1    9 months ago

Bingo!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11  Ed-NavDoc    9 months ago

About darn time that bigoted anti-Semite and plagarist threw in the towel and resigned!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12  Drinker of the Wry    9 months ago

From the Fellows of Harvard:

“While President Gay has acknowledged missteps and has taken responsibility for them, it is also true that she has shown remarkable resilience in the face of deeply personal and sustained attacks.”

Plagiarism is now a misstep?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    9 months ago
deeply personal and sustained attacks.”

I guess she took offense over being called what she is.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    9 months ago
Plagiarism is now a misstep?

Only for elites like Gay, Joe Biden, Jill Biden, and that ilk. If you're a student at Harvard or any other school ... even a high school or community college ... you're sanctioned, suspended, and/or expelled.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
12.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    9 months ago
acknowledged missteps

Yes she acknowledged lots and lots and lots of missteps as soon as someone else pointed them out by the dozens.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
13  Drinker of the Wry    9 months ago

This story is far from over, many more allegations of plagiarism have surfaced since Harvard did its superficial investigation.  Six more surfaced yesterday bringing the total to around 50.  

This calls into question, the process to select Gay as president, the Harvard investigation and now the decision to retain her on the faculty.

I expect that as this gets more exposed, there will be a growing number of faculty and students that will call this out as a double standard.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13    9 months ago
This calls into question, the process to select Gay as president, the Harvard investigation and now the decision to retain her on the faculty. I expect that as this gets more exposed, there will be a growing number of faculty and students that will call this out as a double standard.

When boxes checked matter more than real qualifications, this is what we get.

CB
Professor Principal
13.2  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13    9 months ago

Case in point, Jasper: See ⇡. Let her go out onto the trash heap of society and on the welfare rolls for the duration. Finally if she did the 'crime' she should do the 'time' whatever it is. I have no problem with that. But, let me be clear, she messed herself up - and it has no bearing on the merit or 'helps' provided any and all others!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
13.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @13.2    9 months ago

Did you mean this for Jasper or me?

CB
Professor Principal
13.2.2  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.1    9 months ago

Wow. You had to ask! SMH.jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif   Let this be the year nuance enters the black and white written 'world' of some conservatives, Lordy please. This is too much work for minimal 'returns.' Amen .

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
13.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @13.2.2    9 months ago

Exactly, in your reply to me you wrote:

Case in point, Jasper: 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13    9 months ago
This story is far from over, many more allegations of plagiarism have surfaced since Harvard did its superficial investigation.  Six more surfaced yesterday bringing the total to around 50.  

Correct. The article I linked in comment 7.2 stated 40, but that was from a few days ago.

This calls into question, the process to select Gay as president, the Harvard investigation and now the decision to retain her on the faculty.

DEI.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14  seeder  Vic Eldred    9 months ago

"Gay resigned her position Tuesday after facing mounting accusations of plagiarism , but in her resignation letter, she turned the focus to race in a move critics highlighted as an example of her commitment to controversial  diversity, equity, and inclusion  ideology.

"It has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor — two bedrock values that are fundamental to who I am — and frightening to be subjected to personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus," Gay, whose tenure atop the university is now the shortest in Harvard history,  wrote  in her letter.

Gay, who saw a last-ditch  effort  from former President  Barack Obama  to save her job, added that the future of Harvard will require a commitment to "combat bias and hate in all its forms" and to "create a learning environment in which we respect each other’s dignity and treat one another with compassion."

"When my brief presidency is remembered, I hope it will be seen as a moment of reawakening to the importance of striving to find our common humanity — and of not allowing rancor and vituperation to undermine the vital process of education," she concluded."

Claudine Gay blames 'personal attacks' and 'racial animus' in Harvard resignation letter (msn.com)

She is blaming it on "race!"

CB
Professor Principal
14.1  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    9 months ago

Personal News

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

It is with a heavy heart but a deep love for Harvard that I write to share that I will be stepping down as president. This is not a decision I came to easily. Indeed, it has been difficult beyond words because I have looked forward to working with so many of you to advance the commitment to academic excellence that has propelled this great university across centuries. But, after   consultation with members of the Corporation , it has become clear that it is in the best interests of Harvard for me to resign so that our community can navigate this moment of extraordinary challenge with a focus on the institution rather than any individual.

It is a singular honor to be a member of this university, which has been my home and my inspiration for most of my professional career. My deep sense of connection to Harvard and its people has made it all the more painful to witness the tensions and divisions that have riven our community in recent months, weakening the bonds of trust and reciprocity that should be our sources of strength and support in times of crisis. Amidst all of this, it has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor—two bedrock values that are fundamental to who I am—and frightening to be subjected to personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus.

I believe in the people of Harvard because I see in you the possibility and the promise of a better future. These last weeks have helped make clear the work we need to do to build that future—to combat bias and hate in all its forms, to create a learning environment in which we respect each other’s dignity and treat one another with compassion, and to affirm our enduring commitment to open inquiry and free expression in the pursuit of truth. I believe we have within us all that we need to heal from this period of tension and division and to emerge stronger. I had hoped with all my heart to lead us on that journey, in partnership with all of you. As I now return to the faculty, and to the scholarship and teaching that are the lifeblood of what we do, I pledge to continue working alongside you to build the community we all deserve.

When I became president, I considered myself particularly blessed by the opportunity to serve people from around the world who saw in my presidency a vision of Harvard that affirmed their sense of belonging—their sense that Harvard welcomes people of talent and promise, from every background imaginable, to learn from and grow with one another. To all of you, please know that those doors remain open, and Harvard will be stronger and better because they do.

As we welcome a new year and a new semester, I hope we can all look forward to brighter days. Sad as I am to be sending this message, my hopes for Harvard remain undimmed. When my brief presidency is remembered, I hope it will be seen as a moment of reawakening to the importance of striving to find our common humanity—and of not allowing rancor and vituperation to undermine the vital process of education. I trust we will all find ways, in this time of intense challenge and controversy, to recommit ourselves to the excellence, the openness, and the independence that are crucial to what our university stands for—and to our capacity to serve the world.

Sincerely,
Claudine Gay

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.1  CB  replied to  CB @14.1    9 months ago

Statement from the Harvard Corporation: President Gay

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

With great sadness, we write in light of President Claudine Gay’s message announcing her intention to step down from the presidency and resume her faculty position at Harvard.

First and foremost, we thank President Gay for her deep and unwavering commitment to Harvard and to the pursuit of academic excellence. Throughout her long and distinguished leadership as Dean of Social Science then as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences – where she skillfully led the FAS through the COVID-19 pandemic and pursued ambitious new academic initiatives in areas such as quantum science and inequality – she demonstrated the insight, decisiveness, and empathy that are her hallmark. She believes passionately in Harvard’s mission of education and research, and she cares profoundly about the people whose talents, ideas, and energy drive Harvard. She has devoted her career to an institution whose ideals and priorities she has worked tirelessly to advance, and we are grateful for the extraordinary contributions she has made – and will continue to make – as a leader, a teacher, a scholar, a mentor, and an inspiration to many.

We are also grateful to Alan M. Garber, Provost and Chief Academic Officer, who has served with distinction in that role for the past twelve years – and who has agreed to serve as Interim President until a new leader for Harvard is identified and takes office. An economist and a physician, he is a distinguished and wide-ranging scholar with appointments at Harvard Medical School, Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. We are fortunate to have someone of Alan’s broad and deep experience, incisive judgment, collaborative style, and extraordinary institutional knowledge to carry forward key priorities and to guide   the university through this interim period.

These past several months have seen Harvard and higher education face a series of sustained and unprecedented challenges. In the face of escalating controversy and conflict, President Gay and the Fellows have sought to be guided by the best interests of the institution whose future progress and well-being we are together committed to uphold. Her own message conveying her intention to step down eloquently underscores what those who have worked with her have long known – her commitment to the institution and its mission is deep and selfless. It is with that overarching consideration in mind that we have accepted her resignation.

We do so with sorrow.

While President Gay has acknowledged missteps and has taken responsibility for them, it is also true that she has shown remarkable resilience in the face of deeply personal and sustained attacks .

While some of this has played out in the public domain, much of it has taken the form of repugnant and in some cases racist vitriol directed at her through disgraceful emails and phone calls. We condemn such attacks in the strongest possible terms.

The search for a new president of the university will begin in due course. We will be in further touch about the process, which will include broad engagement and consultation with the Harvard community in the time ahead.

For today, we close by reiterating our gratitude to President Gay for her devoted service to Harvard, as well as to Provost Garber for his willingness to lead the university through the interim period to come. We also extend our thanks to all of you for your continuing commitment to Harvard’s vital educational and research mission – and to core values of excellence, inclusiveness, and free inquiry and expression. At a time when strife and division are so prevalent in our nation and our world, embracing and advancing that mission – in a spirit of common purpose — has never been more important. We live in difficult and troubling times, and formidable challenges lie ahead. May our community, with its long history of rising through change and through storm, find new ways to meet those challenges together, and to affirm Harvard’s commitment to generating knowledge, pursuing truth, and contributing through scholarship and education to a better world.

The Fellows of Harvard College

Penny Pritzker, Senior Fellow
Timothy R. Barakett, Treasurer
Kenneth I. Chenault
Mariano-Florentino (Tino) Cuéllar
Paul J. Finnegan
Biddy Martin
Karen Gordon Mills
Diana L. Nelson
Tracy P. Palandjian
Shirley M. Tilghman
Theodore V. Wells, Jr.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @14.1    9 months ago

There is an example where posting the entire letter doesn't help.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @14.1.1    9 months ago

The Fellows should resign too.

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.5  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.3    9 months ago

Best read for ourselves what was written and its tone being expressed! Surely you wanted us to KNOW about the racists-vitriolic phone calls, emails, and texts thereabouts she was receiving. Maybe just may be that was the "WHY" she added the racial component-line in her resignation letter. 

I KNOW you wanted us to KNOW about it. I just know you do!  /s

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.6  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.4    9 months ago

So now you pass judgement on the Innocent too. How predictable. Well, go ahead. Petition the school to fire them "already." Next week or several you will be griping about cancel as culture on campuses and "safe spaces"!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @14.1.5    9 months ago

May I ask you a question: Don't you think the murder of Jews should have been condemned by Ms Gay?

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.8  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.7    9 months ago

I have a new policy. I don't ask MAGA questions and MAGA can not ask me questions. This is a new year and I will do my best to keep that policy in place. Now if you have something to say say it (without questioning me) and I will see if I 'want' to answer it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @14.1.8    9 months ago

In that case, have a good night.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.3    9 months ago

Just a case of a hard core liberal leftist bigot who got her hand stuck in the proverbial cookie jar, now trying to play the victim, and is now throwing out a seemingly insincere letter telling people what she thinks they want to hear to get off the hook. Pathetic! I have a 13 year old granddaughter who said she might like to go to Harvard. I told her it would be snowing in the Sahara Desert before her mother and me condoned her going there.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.1.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.4    9 months ago

As they are the ones who hired her and therefore condoned her actions, they certainly should.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @14.1.11    9 months ago

"Harvard knows that this long overdue forced resignation of the antisemitic plagiarist president is just the beginning of what will be the greatest scandal of any college or university in history,”  said GOP conference chair  Rep.  Elise Stefanik  on X, formerly Twitter."

Republicans claim victory for Harvard president's resignation - POLITICO

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.13  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.12    9 months ago

Well, there you go: MAGA was behind this "campaign" to get her gone (so the GOP is active in cancel culture.) Nice going public about it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
14.1.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1.12    9 months ago

They knew what the right thing to do was.  Gay failed to do it immediately and the school will pay the price for tolerating such behavior. 

George
Junior Expert
14.1.15  George  replied to  CB @14.1.13    9 months ago

This may be the stupidest comment [deleted.] She is gone because she lacks the integrity to hold any position of trust, she is a worthless piece of shit that Havard should have flushed the minute she was found to be a plagiarizing liar.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    9 months ago

Yep, classic leftist liberal case of when you don't get your way, play the victim card.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    9 months ago

Always the poor, poor victim.

I call bullshit. 

She should never been hired based on her very own dubious academic credentials.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
14.3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @14.3    9 months ago
She should never been hired based on her very own dubious academic credentials.

But she checked some blocks!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @14.3.1    9 months ago

Which is why checking boxes is a horrible reason to hire someone otherwise unqualified.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
14.3.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @14.3.2    9 months ago

No shit.  Checking blocks got us Kamala Harris.  We see how horrendous that has turned out to be.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @14.3    9 months ago

Yep!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
15  Jeremy Retired in NC    9 months ago
“It is with a heavy heart but a deep love for Harvard that I write to share that I will be stepping down as president,” Gay, 53, wrote in the emotional missive.

Her "heavy heart" is because she got called out and forced to do the right thing.

Despite that, Gay said in her resignation how she’d hoped to represent all and make them feel welcome as president.

How do you do that as an anti-Semite?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
15.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @15    9 months ago

"How do you do that as a anti-Semite?"

You don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @15.1    9 months ago

If Harvard had any guts they would fire her altogether.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
15.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.1    9 months ago

Then they would have lost with their liberal donors.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
15.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @15    9 months ago
Her "heavy heart" is because she got called out and forced to do the right thing.

I'm not sure that she, or Harvard, actually did the "right thing". Despite being a plagiarist and anti-semite, she still keeps the title of Professor, her tenure, and her $900,000 per year salary. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @15.2    9 months ago
I'm not sure that she, or Harvard, actually did the "right thing". Despite being a plagiarist and anti-semite, she still keeps the title of Professor, her tenure, and her $900,000 per year salary. 

Harvard is showing how gutless it is.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
15.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @15.2    9 months ago
she still keeps the title of Professor,

Like Professor Proton from Big Bang Theory?  That is what she equates to now.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
15.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @15.2.1    9 months ago
Harvard is showing how gutless it is.

As observant Americans have known for decades, Harvard hasn't been alone in the Marxist indoctrination of students. Many dozens of colleges and universities believe the same.

Covid mandates and lockdowns opened the eyes of preK-12 parents as to what teacher union executives have despicably supported and encouraged for decades, also, in order to control and have power over people.

And, this is the current result of Marxist "education" ...

A new poll shows that one out of five younger Americans has a positive view of Osama bin Laden, and that various age groups hold differing views about the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. The poll, conducted by DailyMail.com, also found that three in 10 members of Generation Z thought the views of bin  Laden  were a “force for good.”

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
15.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jasper2529 @15.2.3    9 months ago

Just one word for Gen Z and their positive views about that mass murdering POS bin Ladan. HOGWASH! 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16  sandy-2021492    9 months ago

Thread #14.1 was a mess of meta and insults, and has been partially deleted.  Play nice, please.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
17  Sean Treacy    9 months ago

Talk about privilege. Despite committing dozens of acts of plagiarism that would get a student expelled, she gets to keep her job as a professor at her presidential salary level of $900,000

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @17    9 months ago

But Harvard doesn't get off as easily as she did. Its reputation is ruined once and for all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @17.1    9 months ago

And the alleged victim of racism resigns but blames others.

A play straight from the Joe Biden playbook "How To Blame Your Predecessor and MAGA"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @17.1.1    9 months ago

You see, Tex, the heart of the problem is this Marxist oppressor/oppressed ideology.

Exhibit A:

"professor and anti-racist activist Ibram Xolani Kendi (@ibramxk) EXPLODES following Harvard University President Claudine Gay's resignation, writes, "Racist mobs won’t stop until they topple all Black people from positions of power and influence who are not reinforcing the structure of racism. What these racist mobs are doing should be obvious to any reporter who cares about truth or justice as opposed to conflicts and clicks."

GC3OLuvW4AEeVcF?format=jpg&name=small

Simon Ateba on X: "BREAKING: Well-known black professor and anti-racist activist Ibram Xolani Kendi (@ibramxk) EXPLODES following Harvard University President Claudine Gay's resignation, writes, "Racist mobs won’t stop until they topple all Black people from positions of power and influence who are… https://t.co/0IWz4ZDfnr" / X (twitter.com)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @17.1.2    9 months ago

Thus proving Kendi is a race baiting fool who simply can't and won't accept any legitimate criticism of a black person.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @17.1.3    9 months ago

Yes, that is what is dividing the country on racial lines. Here we have Kendi and Sharpton rushing in to defend a black woman who is absolutely in the wrong, simply because she is black. We even have Kendi followers here.

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.5  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @17.1    9 months ago

Bit of hyperbole there. "It's reputation is ruined once and for all." Oh, really.  One professor can ruin Harvard's stellar reputation in a 'snap' and ne'er shall it be reputable again, says MAGA. Well, Harvard probably is 'smart' enough to know that MAGAs were not for them in the first place.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @17.1.5    9 months ago
One professor can ruin Harvard's stellar reputation

It wasn't so stellar of late. You can ask the Asian American students who were discriminated against. Kendi and Sharpton say that "racism" cost her job. I say racism is likely what got her the job.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
17.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @17.1.5    9 months ago
vard probably is 'smart' enough to know that MAGAs were not for them in the first place.

Whether MAGA is for or against Harvard is irrelevant. Harvard's actions speak for themselves, and can be judged on their own merits.  Why Harvard' defenders think wailing about MAGA somehow excuses their behavior is beyond me.

Harvard conducted a sham investigation to protect her and threatened independent media with lawsuits for simply printing facts.   But for progressives it's just about loyalty to the team. 

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.8  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @17.1.6    9 months ago

It won't change life at Harvard for long if at all, Vic. But, you can exploit it as best you can to test that theory. . . I mean she still has a Harvard job for now. . .MAGAs should keep up their harassment to get her to quit and then laugh at her as she leaves heading off to the welfare lines.

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.9  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @17.1.7    9 months ago

Your 'partisan talking points' comment is duly observed.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
17.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @17.1.9    9 months ago

Lol, you are the one who keeps obsessing about maga to avoid the reality of what happened. Maga has nothing to do what she started doing 27 years ago.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
17.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @17.1.10    9 months ago

They have to have somebody to blame.  Even if it is a fictional organization like "MAGA".  (Really shows they don't know it's an acronym and what it means.)

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.12  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @17.1.10    9 months ago

And you seem obsessed with repeating your. . . interest. . .in her case. MAGAs could let it go because she. . .is not running for 'anything' but of course it is easy to sat and mercilessly mock her because she messed up and got caught for it.

I don't care about Ms. Gay's loss of the presidency of Harvard. Harvard so far as decided to keep her on instead of sending her away and it's a corporate decision. I would'nt vote to keep her on based on what I know of this, but that speaks to the larger point: I don't know what private discussions or details are involved—you don't either.

But, that has not stopped you from exploiting her and MAGAs from calling her 'everything' but a child of God on the 'boards.'

I could ask why MAGAs are so nasty and insistent with labeling and name-calling, but I know the answer from experience. . . it is a firm MAGA position to disrespect every liberal they can and represent them in the worse light possible: Deserved or Not Deserved.

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.13  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @17.1.11    9 months ago

MAGA means Trump supporter and people who did a TAKEOVER of the true GOP and now rank and file republicans are in the 'wilderness' wondering how they can get their party back. There is nothing secret about MAGAs that can't be observed and figured out.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @17.1.7    9 months ago

What is really sad is that Harvard lacks the guts to do the right thing.

Equally sad is that if Harvard did fire her, she would land on her feet at some other school trying to show how committed it is to DEI.

Universities have shown an inclination to hire malcontents, radicals, and domestic terrorists, so why not her. too?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
17.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @17.1.13    9 months ago
There is nothing secret about MAGAs that can't be observed and figured out.

Nope, in 2015-16 Trump saw that working-class voters weren't happy with both Dem and Repub elites. He built a populist plank focused on immigration, taxes, and  crime. The white working class people in the mid-west put him over the top.  In 2020, he expanded his base primarily with Hispanic working-class voters and a few Black ones.  He lost because independents turned against him and Biden campaigned as a moderate.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
17.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @17.1.13    9 months ago
MAGA means Trump supporter 

Swing and a miss.  Thank you for playing and proving my point.

George
Junior Expert
17.1.17  George  replied to  CB @17.1.12    9 months ago
because she messed up and got caught for it.

That is an ignorant statement showing a complete lack of understanding of facts. She committed plagiarism more than 60 times so far that have been identified, it wasn't a mistake!!! she is a fucking cheater who got ahead stealing the work of other people far superior to her in intellect.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
17.1.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @17.1.16    9 months ago

To the majority of hard core leftist liberal Democrats, MAGA equates to any and all who are conservatives and do not mark the D block on a ballot and do not share their particular political worldview! There is no middle ground with them. It is evident here on NT.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
17.1.19  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @17.1.18    9 months ago

Exactly.  Just more sweeping generalizations.

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.20  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @17.1.16    9 months ago

Swing and a miss my foot. It is evident you would like MAGA to stand for . . . wait for it. . . NOTHING at All. As far as the public is concerned. But here is the HA-HA . . . if you don't tell people something that is true. . .then they will come up with their own narrative from what the can find. . . happens everyday somewhere on the planet. 

So I got my definition of MAGA and so far I am going to tell you it fits better than the. . . ZILCH. . . you take the time to add to the meaning of the acronym! 

A swing and a hit. . . bases loaded!

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.21  CB  replied to  George @17.1.17    9 months ago

Look. . .George. I don't give a shit about your obsession with this professor. Harvard is in-charge of her job/career at this stage of the process. If you have any other complain you wish to hash out do it with Harvard on the phone, or a drive over or somebody else on NT. Do not "come for me" again with this line of attack. I have had about enough of your personal insults.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
17.1.22  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @17.1.20    9 months ago

See, I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.  [Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
17.1.23  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @17.1.3    9 months ago

Kendi and the not so Rev Al Sharpton. Perfect case of two race baiting bigots defending another bigot. What a surprise!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
17.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @17.1.18    9 months ago

Ain’t that the truth.    

Only left wing loons could turn a phrase like MAGA, with mainly positive connotations and intentions, into a negative simply because they are told by the chosen one, that they must hate one person.

TDS is real, very real and it’s sad that a few people here have managed to largely censor that fact off NTers.    Welcome to the gaslit neighborhood.

CB
Professor Principal
17.1.25  CB  replied to  Sparty On @17.1.24    9 months ago

Truth will win out in the end. Lies and misinformation can't bear up under close scrutiny. "Loons" on either extreme sides of the political spectrum will be made to bow down to the truth. Gaslight that!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
17.1.26  Sparty On  replied to  CB @17.1.25    9 months ago
either extreme sides of the political spectrum will be made to bow down to the truth.

If only ……

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  George @17.1.17    9 months ago

But, but, but the boxes she checks means she is supposed to be immune to criticism and anyone daring to do so is racist!

And that is the extent of the defense for this plagiarizing fool!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
17.1.28  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @17.1.24    9 months ago

You got that right!

MrFrost
Professor Guide
18  MrFrost    9 months ago

Good riddance. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
18.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @18    9 months ago

She isn't going anywhere.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
18.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @18.1    9 months ago

True, but at least she will not be in a position make and disseminate policy at Harvard.