╌>

Tim Scott: 'Trump did more for minorities than Biden will ever do'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  9 months ago  •  34 comments

By:   Miranda Nazzaro (The Hill)

Tim Scott: 'Trump did more for minorities than Biden will ever do'
Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) on Wednesday shot back at those criticizing his endorsement of former President Trump, and claimed the former president "did more for minorities" than President Biden has. Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, was asked by Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham if he expected scrutiny from the left for his…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) on Wednesday shot back at those criticizing his endorsement of former President Trump, and claimed the former president "did more for minorities" than President Biden has.

Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, was asked by Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham if he expected scrutiny from the left for his support of Trump, who has had a history of controversial remarks regarding race.

Scott told Ingraham he was not expecting the criticism, but he does "expect the left to lose their mind because Donald Trump did more for minorities than Joe Biden…will ever do."

"Think about the fact that Donald Trump put more money in historically black colleges and universities [HBCU] than any other president," Scott continued.

During Trump's time in the White House, he claimed unwavering support for historically black colleges and universities, and once said the institutions "never had better champions in the White House."

Trump, in 2019, signed a bipartisan bill to permanently provide over $250 million a year to the nation's HBCUs, as well as several other institutions serving large shares of minority students. At the time, the former president said his administration "continue[d] to deliver" on his promise "to fight for HBCUs."

Trump himself has touted similar accomplishments, and has previously claimed that his administration has done more for the African American community "than any president since Abraham Lincoln."

Scott on Wednesday further touted Trump's work on the economy, unemployment and sickle cell anemia — a blood disorder that disproportionately affects the Black population.

"Guess what? He'll [Trump] help white people and Black people and brown people. I mean, he likes everybody," Scott said.

The South Carolina Republican, who suspended his own presidential bid in November, formally endorsed Trump last week. He appeared onstage with Trump Tuesday night, following the former president's victory over former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley in the New Hampshire primary.

While on stage, Trump said to Scott, "You must really hate her," in reference to Haley.

Scott laughed and said, "I just love you!"

The interaction drew the ire of the Rev. Al Sharpton, who called Scott's rhetoric around Trump "humiliating."

"It's not a good thing in my life to watch Tim do that," Sharpton said Wednesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "He has a right to be Republican; he has a right to do Donald Trump. But to do it in such a way that is so humiliating was troubling."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    9 months ago

Well said Senator!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    9 months ago
trump "did more for minorities" than President Biden has

too bad uncle tim completely negated that meme with his most recent step and fetch it routine...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    9 months ago

[deleted]  What an embarrassment to African Americans.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    9 months ago
What an embarrassment to African Americans.

watching him speak in support of his new master, I was getting old jack benny show flashbacks.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    9 months ago

Tim Scott "loves" Trump.   He is a Trump sycophant and has no credibility.   Yet another slimy political opportunist.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @2    9 months ago

So rather than an emotional he likes Trump so he much be bad which of Scotts claims are incorrect, I honestly don't know.

"Think about the fact that Donald Trump put more money in historically black colleges and universities [HBCU] than any other president," Scott continued.

"During Trump's time in the White House, he claimed unwavering support for historically black colleges and universities, and once said the institutions "never had better champions in the White House."Trump, in 2019, signed a bipartisan bill to permanently provide over $250 million a year to the nation's HBCUs, as well as several other institutions serving large shares of minority students. "

"Scott on Wednesday further touted Trump's work on the economy, unemployment and sickle cell anemia — a blood disorder that disproportionately affects the Black population."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1    9 months ago

It is not emotional, it is a litmus test.   Anyone who gushes over Trump has no credibility with me.   And the supporting argument should be obvious.   Given my position on Trump being the only PotUS in our history who has attempted to steal an election, etc. it should come as no surprise that I would analytically deem anyone who gushes over this miserable human being to have no credibility.    See?

That does not mean what they say is false.   It just means (as I noted) that they are not a credible source for me.

However, let's look at Scott's claims:

Donald Trump put more money in historically black colleges and universities [HBCU] than any other president

and

Trump, in 2019, signed a bipartisan bill to permanently provide over $250 million a year to the nation's HBCUs, as well as several other institutions serving large shares of minority students.

Fact Check:

Two experts calculated the total federal funding provided to HBCUs for PolitiFact. Those numbers show little change between the Obama years and the first year under Trump.  

He did sign the bill (the kernel of truth) but the claim gushed by Scott that Trump did more than any other president is false.

"Scott on Wednesday further touted Trump's work on the economy, unemployment and sickle cell anemia — a blood disorder that disproportionately affects the Black population."

Trump signed Scott's "The Sickle Cell Disease and Other Heritable Blood Disorders Research, Surveillance, Prevention, and Treatment Act of 2018".   So there is the kernel of truth.   The general claims of "work on the economy and unemployment" is meaningless as an argument that Trump was doing this to help black people in particular.

Bottom line, I care about facts.   Anyone who gushes over Trump is NOT a credible source for me.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    9 months ago
Donald Trump put more money in historically black colleges and universities [HBCU] than any other president

and

Trump, in 2019, signed a bipartisan bill to permanently provide over $250 million a year to the nation's HBCUs, as well as several other institutions serving large shares of minority students.

Fact Check:

Two experts calculated the total federal funding provided to HBCUs for PolitiFact. Those numbers show little change between the Obama years and the first year under Trump.  

Umm, your own post appears to show that it was in fact true. Trump signed the bill in 2019, that was not the first year under Trump.

While he didn't do as much for other minorities, several of his policies did increase the economics and put more lower-income people to work in both the brown and black communities. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    9 months ago

TiG did just fine with the truth here.

No need to defend the indefensible.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    9 months ago
Umm, your own post appears to show that it was in fact true.

Did you miss the parts where I pointed out the kernel of truth?    You are restating what I already stated while missing the point.

My point was stated up front and then at the end:

TiG@2.1.1 ☞ Anyone who gushes over Trump has no credibility with me. 
TiG@2.1.1 ☞ Bottom line, I care about facts.   Anyone who gushes over Trump is NOT a credible source for me.  

And even here:

TiG@2.1.1 ☞ That does not mean what they say is false.   It just means (as I noted) that they are not a credible source for me.

No matter how clearly stated, no matter how many times repeated, some people consistently fail to respond honestly to what was written.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.3    9 months ago

Go back and re-read it again. You missed the entire part where what Tig posted already proved he was wrong. But why are you defending TiG? Fairly sure he can defend himself.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.4    9 months ago

Sorry no. You posted the "fact check" and the fact check was carefully cherry-picked but completely wrong in what you were trying to defend. I'm well aware that anybody who gushes over Trump is someone you have absolutely no time for and that's fine. But when you attempt to show where Tim Scott was wrong it was in fact you who was wrong with your proof. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    9 months ago

Scott was wrong in his claim that no PotUS has done as much for black people.

Again, you refuse to honestly read what I wrote.   Endless intellectual dishonesty.

TiG@2.1.1 ☞ He did sign the bill (the kernel of truth) but the claim gushed by Scott that Trump did more than any other president is false.

There were, as I noted, kernels of truth in Scott's statements.   But he is portraying Trump as the best supporter of black people ever.  That is sycophantic bullshit offered to the gullible.

Scott is a Trump sycophant.   He has no credibility with me.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    9 months ago
Scott was wrong in his claim that no PotUS has done as much for black people.

I never commented on that. While campaigning, all politicians lie and/or stretch the truth I still tend to ignore most of it. I've not researched all presidents to see what they individually have done for the black community to I refrain from commenting on that other than what I said in front.

Again, you refuse to honestly read what I wrote.   Endless intellectual dishonesty.

Yep, you are definitely guilty of this.  Let's review.  You posted this :

and

And then you posted this as the rebuttal for the above claims :

Fact Check:
Two experts calculated the total federal funding provided to HBCUs for PolitiFact. Those numbers show little change between the Obama years and the first year under Trump.    politifact

Let's explore that intellectual dishonesty, shall we?  You posted a "fact check" that shows little change in the numbers between the Obama years and the first year under Trump.  Let's say that again, 'THE FIRST YEAR UNDER TRUMP'.  Ok, with me?  Looking at the second of Scott's claims, it shows that Trump signed a bipartisan bill to permanently provide over $250 million a year to the nation's HBCUs. I sure hope that we can agree that 2019 was not the first year under Trump.

You want to downplay Tim Scott because he is gushing over Trump, go ahead as your right. All I did was point out that your fact check was wrong. I don't know how much more honestly I can read what you wrote, but insulting me of intellectual dishonesty when all I did was show you exactly what was wrong puts more of a mirror on you. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.8    9 months ago
I never commented on that.

I know, you ignored the key statement.   And you also ignored where I stated that there were kernels of truth.

And you ignored the actual point of the comment:  Scott's lack of credibility.

Instead you are spending a lot of energy in a dishonest and futile attempt to claim I was wrong.

All I did was point out that your fact check was wrong.

The fact check is not wrong.  It shows that the claim that Trump has done more than any other PotUS because of HBCUs is factually incorrect.   To be correct one would need to compare ALL of the activities of Trump vs. the other PotUS'.  That was not included in this piece.

For Scott to make his claim, he needs to deal with the full record of Trump vs. all other PotUS.   Starting with analysis such as this:   and not disregarding analytical criticism such as this:  

Scott is spewing sycophantic bullshit:  "Trump is the greatest." 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.4    9 months ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.5    9 months ago

No, not true.

You just endlessly defend the indefensible and must have the last word.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.9    9 months ago
The fact check is not wrong. 

The fact check is not wrong despite your own posting showing that it is?  All I can say is WTF...  There's no talking with you because you can't even honestly understand your own postings.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @2    9 months ago

What has Biden and the Progressives done for Black people lately. 

More and more minorities are realizing that liberal Whites are exploiting them and are refusing to believe their lies and propaganda anymore.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    9 months ago
What has Biden and the Progressives done for Black people lately. 

I am not going to defend Biden and the Ds.   That is not the point I made.

But you are free to read the accomplishments they claim and categorically dismiss them:

George
Junior Expert
2.2.2  George  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.1    9 months ago
I am not going to defend Biden and the Ds.

As i post a propaganda piece literally from the whitehouse defending Biden and the D's. Isn't this exactly what you accuse people you label trump supporters of doing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  George @2.2.2    9 months ago

No, I did not make any comment.   I delivered the argument from the source and left it up to Greg to read and draw his own conclusions.

How is it possible that you could get this so wrong?   Don't presume.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @2    9 months ago
He is a Trump sycophant and has no credibility.

Doesn't matter, he says what they want to hear, so they will defend his statements to the death.  Unless he says something not complimentary about Trump, then he becomes a RINO.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    9 months ago

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    9 months ago

Does it piss you off that blacks dare support Trump?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @3.1    9 months ago

“Does it piss you off that blacks dare support Trump?”

No…it boggles the mind that anyone would. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.1    9 months ago

Then let you mind be boggled.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.1    9 months ago

Cockroaches always support cockroaches

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3    9 months ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    9 months ago

EFMOO7yWkAAO0xs?format=jpg&name=small

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    9 months ago

And for this, many liberal white folk will brand this black man, an Uncle Tom or worse.

And the wheel goes around and around …..

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     9 months ago

Does Mr. Scott think that’s blacks are the only minority in the US? There are other minorities and it seems he is speaking for all of us?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @5    9 months ago

No responses so I take it that most think that Mr. Scott speaks for all non-black minorities. 

That is quite the all-encompassing statement that one would ask where he got this vast reservoir of knowledge. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6  afrayedknot    9 months ago

There should be no problem with anyone anywhere supporting the candidate of his/her choice. To read anything else into it is just adding fuel to the fire.

Debate the motivation, debate the politics, debate the issues, but leave the personal attacks where they belong…nowhere.

And as a caveat, I don’t believe his argument at all…but let us all be better. Peace.