╌>

“Disrespectful Violations” Prompt Ute Tribe to Close 4 Million Acres to Nontribal Hunters, Anglers, Campers

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  8 months ago  •  35 comments

“Disrespectful Violations” Prompt Ute Tribe to Close 4 Million Acres to Nontribal Hunters, Anglers, Campers

T he Ute Indian Tribe has terminated all active nonmember hunting, fishing, and recreation permits for its 4-plus million acres of tribal lands in the Uintah Basin of northeastern Utah, an area that’s twice the size of Yellowstone National Park. The Tribe has also set “an indefinite moratorium” on issuing any new permits for nonmembers.

The closure was   announced on Jan. 24   as “a response to recent events involving nonmember activities on [Ute] Tribal land that gave rise to serious concerns over the safety of Tribal employees, officers, and members. The Tribe has taken a hard stand to protect its people from nonmembers who exploit Tribal permits and disregard Tribal rules and regulations in place to protect Tribal communities and natural resources.”

A story published by the   Salt Lake Tribune   on Tuesday shed more light on the “disrespectful violations,” which included trash — soda cans and toilet paper — left at campsites, ATV tracks in fragile areas, and evidence of trespassing on private areas and closed roads.

“Nonmember hunting and fishing on our lands is a privilege, not a right,” Ute Business Committee Chairman Julius T. Murray, III said in the public statement. “As long as there are individuals who disrespect Tribal jurisdiction and sovereignty and treat our homeland as a place of lawlessness, then we have no choice but to draw a hard line on all nonmember permits.”

LINK TO SEEDED ARTICLE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/disrespectful-violations-prompt-ute-tribe-to-close-4-million-acres-to-nontribal-hunters-anglers-campers/ar-BB1hTjZD?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1542ded2aa1d4e1fa0d808af02af2aae&ei=13

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     8 months ago

If you don't abide by the rules on the rez this is what happens. Sadly a lot of good non-Indian hunters, campers and fishermen will not be able to enjoy the land, its people, and the recreation that had been available to them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1    8 months ago

It is an unfortunate result for those who did not take unfair advantage, took proper care, obeyed all the rules, respected the environment and tried to leave it better than they found it.  It is, I guess, a prime example of how some lousy people can ruin things for so many. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    8 months ago

Sadly that is so true, Buzz.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    8 months ago

Evening... commonly called...

The minority stuffing it up for the majority...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  shona1 @1.1.2    8 months ago

we get a lot of that in the US ...

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    8 months ago
we get a lot of that in the US ...

Do we ever.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    8 months ago

rez land, rez rules. [Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2    8 months ago

never mind those green spots just off the trail in the desert...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2    8 months ago

oh yeah...

Outis
Freshman Expert
2  Outis    8 months ago

Naughty children must have their toys taken away.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Outis @2    8 months ago

That is true, it's the only thing they seem to understand but it hurts the other 95% that follow the rules and appreciate the opportunity to use the pristine area.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @2.1    8 months ago

Not sure how you feel about a NFL team called the Chiefs with an obvious Indian thing going on (tomahawk chop etc).

I have lived in KC for decades and look forward to the game tomorrow.

GO CHIEFS!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  cjcold @2.1.1    8 months ago

I'm a Chiefs fan and have been for years, I have no problem with the name, the tomahawk chop should go,

If people knew of or understood US history they would know that the 49ers is a much more racist name than the Chiefs..You should read the Great California Genocide.

GregTx
Professor Guide
4  GregTx    8 months ago

As they should.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @4    8 months ago
As they should.

Agree, they should. 

We had an incident in 2019 on our rez, which is one of only two in the US that are considered a closed rez''. This means that you do not come on the rez without an invitation from an Ojibwe member of the rez, it was out of season for bears and he killed a 700 lb black bear, (yes 700 lbs we have a subspecies that get huge, I think the largest taken in MN was close to 800 lbs) it was so heavy he could get it in his truck and dragged it behind a garbage dump came back the next and took photos of him and the bear they cut off its head and paws and left it to rot. It was discovered by members 2 days later. He was damn lucky they didn't catch up with him since the bear is a clan animal to us and NO ONE ever kills one. He could have ended up in 80 feet of water in Red Lake with an arrow up his ass. Anyhow the dumb ass posted photos of him and the bear on Facebook he was easy to find after that in 2021 or 22 he was sentenced to 18 months in prison, a $9,500 fine, and all his hunting equipment, rifles, truck etc were confiscated. It was found that he was a convicted felon so in addition to what the courts sentenced him to the Ojibwe have pressed charges for trespassing, having a weapon on the rez (illegal), and other violations.  

Anyhow it is something that the tribes have to watch very carefully.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @4.1    8 months ago

One of the great things 'bout that story Kavika is that - the Tribe/Nation has control and can run a person such as that through the wringer - which many tribes are starting to do.

Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010 gives the tribes/nations tons of power.  Now, if only Congress would start funding the other portions of the law.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1    8 months ago

I despise hunters who only hunt for trophies. That bear could have been used to feed hungry people. I don't know how tasty a 700 hundred pound black bear would be but that's besides the point when you're starving

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    8 months ago

Trophy hunting should be done with a camera

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.3    8 months ago
Trophy hunting should be done with a camera

Absolutely.

This photo was take a few years ago on the edge of our rez, same place as the bear was killed, Red Lake. The black wolf in this photo is magnificent yet more and more states are trying to wipe them out. All wolves in MN if they are on rez land are safe since they share a bond with Indians. If anyone kills a wolf on rez land they better head for Mars.

ScreenShot6858.jpg

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @4.1.4    8 months ago

Beautiful

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1.4    8 months ago

Beautiful animal. It saddens me that people want to wipe them out

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @4.1    8 months ago

Faced down a Griz once out Elk hunting. 

She stood up and roared at me. 

I stood up and roared at her.

Fired my 30-06 into the air. She wasn't impressed.

We talked for awhile and stared each other down.

Eventually she went her way and I went mine.

Watched my back-trail for the next few days.

Didn't even think about bagging an elk.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 months ago

A question. Do you know if nontribal Indians will be allowed onto the land?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    8 months ago

I believe that they will, Perrie but I'm not positive. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @5.1    8 months ago

Have lived in Lawrence Ks for many years and the Indians at Haskell from various tribes are as confused as us white folk about what is and what isn't regarding mores.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    8 months ago

I would probably say - "depends" on their needs versus the tribes/nations needs.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    8 months ago

Next step, have the US park service start doing this too.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @6    8 months ago

We camp twice a year at a US Corps of Engineers site. For the most part people take care of stuff. I don't see a lot of litter lying around. We get "talked to" for heaping our beer cans in a pile, but we clean them up.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @6    8 months ago
Next step, have the US park service start doing this too.

Oh, hell yes they should.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @6.2    8 months ago

Was a Boy Scout. "Leave it better than you found it."

shona1
Professor Quiet
7  shona1    8 months ago

Evening...

If you don't respect the land,

You can expect to be band..

As it should be.. people are so disrespectful at times...

shona1
Professor Quiet
7.1  shona1  replied to  shona1 @7    8 months ago

Banned that should be.😁

Been a long day..

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  author  Kavika     8 months ago

As long as we're talking about my rez, Red Lake or Miskwaagamiiwi-zaaga'iganing in our language. The rez is 1260 sq miles and the prominent feature is Red Lake itself and the collage we opened a few years ago.

The first photo is a close-up of the college with our Migizi (eagle) overlooking it and the second is the college with Red Lake behind it. Red Lake itself is huge, it's 444 sq miles.

295421678_489618599832338_838777174687136744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=783fdb&_nc_ohc=Idn_qav4W8EAX_X0qW-&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCvb357MKzyUFLqOtp_M186gBV2TDJ0zoZuD41vD0SFUQ&oe=65C8153C

Outis
Freshman Expert
8.1  Outis  replied to  Kavika @8    8 months ago

Beautiful!

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Outis @8.1    8 months ago

Thanks, it was a long time coming.