╌>

Driving Tesla Cybertruck - Overhyped or the Pickup Reinvented?

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

By:  outis  •  3 months ago  •  17 comments

Driving Tesla Cybertruck - Overhyped or the Pickup Reinvented?

Does The Tesla Cybertruck Live Up To The Hype?

An Engineering Review Steer-by-wire, four-wheel steering, 48 volt accessories, 800V powertrain, triangles, and truck stuff!

_v=63f541706485645

I'm not a truck person. Trucks are irrational for most people. But hey! Motor vehicles are very largely irrational purchases. A three-pointed star costs money! Like a Mercedes, trucks are often ego-stoking, look-at-me fashion accessories. 

I do resent having my taxes subsidize the fuel these machines guzzle, burning the planet. 

The Cybertruck has been in the headlines for years... without ever actually showing itself, so now that it is  on sale, let's see it!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Outis
Freshman Principal
1  author  Outis    3 months ago

Jason Fenske does math!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    3 months ago

Fucking hideous. That thing is the Jason Voorhees of vehicles. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    3 months ago
Does The Tesla Cybertruck Live Up To The Hype?

No. I have seen it stuck on flat level ground, in wet grass. And it's the ugliest thing on the road, (not counting a 1974 Ford Pinto). 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @3    3 months ago

it looks like the perfect truck for a gen z customer that wants to exclaim they drive a truck. plus there's plenty of space in the bed for a 5K watt generator, inverter, and a row of iridium RV cabin batteries to extend the vehicle range. the true geeks could even put an overhead rack on the truck and attach 5 or 6 solar panels to it. but it wouldn't be the fastest 1/2 ton truck on the road anymore...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 months ago

I had a Ford F 250 turbo diesel for years and pulled a 35 ft 5th wheel....

Here is a review by drivers that have driven the Tesla truck for 10,000 miles

Outis
Freshman Principal
4.1  author  Outis  replied to  Kavika @4    3 months ago

There are valid use-cases for pickups. But... looking around, I see chrome wheels, lifted suspensions, pristine loadbeds, and leather upholstery.

Look at the trucks your friendly neighborhood (Mexican) landscapers are driving. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Outis @4.1    3 months ago
There are valid use-cases for pickups. But... looking around, I see chrome wheels, lifted suspensions, pristine loadbeds, and leather upholstery.

I see a lot of those around, I doubt if they have ever loaded anything in the bed of the truck or towed anything.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    3 months ago

Cool technology.

But this truck remains butt ugly.   I would never buy something that looks like this.

Another situation where Musk has made a bizarrely poor decision.

Outis
Freshman Principal
5.1  author  Outis  replied to  TᵢG @5    3 months ago

Tesla was successful with cars because they got out early, ahead of the crowd. Their cars were gadgety, but not very well built. They occupied a niche, and then did a pretty good job of improving their product. Importantly, they built their own charging infrastructure. 

Today, there are lots of cars on the market that are at least as good as Teslas. Unsurprisingly, Tesla has been dropping its prices for some time.

Perhaps Tesla's most important contribution to the auto industry has been "gigacasting", creating bigger, more complex and fewer parts. Lowering costs.

I don't see any advantage to their truck.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5.1.1  Gazoo  replied to  Outis @5.1    3 months ago

I don’t see any advantage to any ev truck right now. The technology has a long long way to go to compete with ice trucks.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    3 months ago

Looks like 2 AMC Gremlins ran into each other 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1  TᵢG  replied to  charger 383 @6    3 months ago

Now that you mention that ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @6.1    3 months ago

it looks like a hot wheels concept car toy from the 60's...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 months ago

From what I've read Tesla eats up tires fairly fast but the Tesla truck destroys them.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @7    3 months ago

holy shit. article says that thing weighs 3.5 tons.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
7.2  Gazoo  replied to  Kavika @7    3 months ago

From what I've read Tesla eats up tires fairly fast,,,,,”

it’s not only tesla, it’s all bev vehicles because of the weight of the battery.

Outis
Freshman Principal
7.2.1  author  Outis  replied to  Gazoo @7.2    3 months ago

... as a result, tire manufacturers are now making EV-specific tires.