╌>

Judge fines Donald Trump more than $350 million, bars him from running businesses in N.Y. for three years

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  8 months ago  •  62 comments

By:   Adam Reiss and Dareh Gregorian (NBC News)

Judge fines Donald Trump more than $350 million, bars him from running businesses in N.Y. for three years
The judge who presided over a civil business fraud trial against Donald Trump and his company has issued a decision.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Adam Reiss and Dareh Gregorian

The judge who presided over a civil business fraud trial against Donald Trump and his company has issued his decision in the case.

Judge Arthur Engoron ordered the former president and the Trump Organization to pay over $350 million in damages, and bars Trump "from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation or other legal entity in New York for a period of three years."

He also continued "the appointment of an Independent Monitor" and ordered "the installation of an Independent Director of Compliance" for the company.

The judgment is the second this year against Trump after he was hit last month with an $83.3 million verdict in writer E. Jean Carroll's defamation case against him. The former president could also face four criminal trials this year as his presidential campaign barrels toward the November election, with the first set to begin in New York state court on March 25th.

New York Attorney General Letitia James had been seeking $370 million from Trump, his company and its top executives, including his sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, alleging "repeated and persistent fraud" that included falsifying business records and financial statements. James had argued those financial statements were at times exaggerated by as much as $2.2 billion.

James contended the defendants used the inflated financial statements to obtain bank loans and insurance policies at rates he otherwise wouldn't have been entitled to and "reaped hundreds of millions of dollars in ill-gotten gains."

Trump had maintained his financial statements were conservative, and has called the AG's allegations politically motivated and a "fraud on me."

"This is a case that should have never been brought, and I think we should be entitled to damages," Trump told reporters when he attended closing arguments in the case on Jan. 11.

The months-long civil trial included testimony from Trump and his oldest children. The former president was combative in his day on the stand, blasting James as a "hack" and calling the judge "extremely hostile."

Trump repeatedly complained about Engoron before and throughout the trial, and the judge slapped him with a partial gag order after he started blasting the judge's law clerk as well. Trump's complaints led to a flood of death threats against the clerk, as well as Engoron, court officials said, and Trump was fined $15,000 for twice violating the order.

Among the examples cited as fraud by the attorney general's office during the trial was Trump valuing his triplex home in Trump Tower in New York City at three times its actual size and value, as well as including a brand value to increase the valuation of his golf courses on the financial statements, which explicitly said brand values were not included.

Another example pointed to by the attorney general clearly got under his skin — a dispute over the value of Mar-a-Lago, his social club and residence in Florida. Trump's financial statements between 2011 and 2021 valued Mar-a-Lago at between $426 million and $612 million, while the Palm Beach County assessor appraised the property's market value to be between $18 million and $27 million during the same timeframe. Trump had also fraudulently puffed up the value of the property by saying it was a private residence, despite having signed an agreement that it could only be used as a social club to lower his tax burden.

Trump maintained during the trial the property was worth much, much more.

"The judge had it at $18 million, and it is worth, say, I say from 50 to 100 times more than that. So I don't know how you got those numbers," Trump testified, adding later that he thinks it's actually worth "between a billion and a billion five."

James' investigation into the former president's business began in 2019 as a result of congressional testimony from his former personal lawyer Michael Cohen, who told the House Oversight Committee that Trump would improperly expand and shrink values to fit whatever his business needs were.

James filed a suit seeking $250 million in damages from Trump in 2022, and the judge appointed a monitor to oversee the company's finances that November.

In a summary judgment ruling the week before the trial started, Engoron found Trump and his executives had repeatedly engaged in fraud. The "documents here clearly contain fraudulent valuations that defendants used in business, satisfying [the attorney general's] burden to establish liability as a matter of law against defendants," the judge wrote, while denying Trump's bid to dismiss the case.

Engoron summarized the Trump defense as "the documents do not say what they say; that there is no such thing as 'objective' value; and that, essentially, the Court should not believe its own eyes."

The order, which Trump is appealing, held that Trump's business certificates in New York should be canceled.

Trump complained about that ruling on the witness stand. "He said I was a fraud before he knew anything about me, nothing about me," Trump said. "It's a terrible thing you did."

Adam Reiss

Adam Reiss is a reporter and producer for NBC and MSNBC.

Dareh Gregorian

Dareh Gregorian is a politics reporter for NBC News.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    8 months ago

BOOM!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @1    8 months ago
BOOM

3 years for no business in New York seems kind of light.  Was expecting closer to 10.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    8 months ago

I'll be shocked if he even makes it thru this year. coughing up half a billion dollars could be too stressful for him. all of his assets just moved into the distressed sales category. with a fraud of this size, I'd like to know how trump is evading a criminal prosecution.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    8 months ago

I just read that NY requires a 120% bond of judgements for appeals. trump is in for over half a billion now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    8 months ago

Maybe the stress will kill him.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    8 months ago

I cannot believe that there is enough money amongst those fools/supporters to pay off this kind of debt.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    8 months ago
I cannot believe that there is enough money amongst those fools/supporters to pay off this kind of debt.

Saw that since he cannot conduct business in New York, he cannot get a bank loan for this from any bank that does business in New York.  Even his mainstay Deutsche Bank will not be allowed to loan him any further money because of that, preventing Putin from helping him out.  So he may have to call his Saudi friends for a loan.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    8 months ago

Per the AP:

An Associated Press analysis of nearly 70 years of civil cases under the law showed that such a penalty has only been imposed a dozen previous times, and Trump’s case stands apart in a significant way: It’s the only big business found that was threatened with a shutdown without a showing of obvious victims and major losses.

Lawfare.  Straight out of the USSR. Show me the man and NY will manufacture the crime

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    8 months ago

Exactly for the last 8 years.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    8 months ago
Lawfare.

Then it should easily be overturned on appeal.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @2.2    8 months ago

Why would that possibly be true?  Even in criminal cases, states have almost unlimited power to pick and choose who gets prosecuted, and this isn’t a criminal case.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    8 months ago

A case that is flawed on merits is —logically— one that is very vulnerable to be overturned.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.2    8 months ago
d on merits is —logically— one that is very vulnerable to be overturned.

Not at all.  Laws are rarely thrown out by the courts, no matter how illogical they are.  Courts overwhelmingly defer to the legislature's judgment. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.4  bugsy  replied to  evilone @2.2    8 months ago
Then it should easily be overturned on appeal.

It will be.

The only thing is this DA can say she followed through on her actual campaign message to "get Trump"

That it will get overturned means nothing to the idiots of New York that support this fraud of a DA and judge.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.3    8 months ago
Laws are rarely thrown out by the courts

Laws??   How did you go from a case being overturned to laws being thrown out by a court?

If the case is without merit or the adjudication was improper, it could be overturned.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.5    8 months ago

This is leftist TDS driven NY. It will take an honest judge or judges to throw it out.

Good luck with that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.2    8 months ago

The reactions from the MAGA on this are just another version of he can shoot someone on 5th avenue.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    8 months ago

The reaction from leftists proves the Democrat attempt to turn this into a more woke, racially, and financially divided version of China is well underway.

Either the laws apply equally to everyone; or no one. 

Congrats on putting another win into the no one category.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Gsquared  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.8    8 months ago
Either the law applies equally to everyone; or no one.

We can celebrate that Trump is finally receiving equal treatment under the law.  His wealth and power no longer shield him from justice and his status is appropriately the same as every other citizen.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @2.2.9    8 months ago

Just like 1/6.  He is not immune to do whatever the hell he pleases.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Gsquared  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.6    8 months ago

Comment 2.2.6 is a prime example of neo-fascist propaganda which is based primarily on incessant and unrelenting attacks on American values.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.12  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    8 months ago

rigged! rigged! rigged! f'n dumb asses...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.2.12    8 months ago

but, but, but, he wasn't convicted of anything . . . 

FFS

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.14  CB  replied to  bugsy @2.2.4    8 months ago

Trump screwed Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    8 months ago

All sorts of people have believed, for decades, that Trump is a crook.  So when the law finally catches up to him what do we see? His sycophants and flunkies and cultists crying foul. Boo hoo. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    8 months ago

trump is already fund raising off this decision... suckers!!!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    8 months ago
ve believed, for decades, that Trump is a crook

Yet he wasn't convicted of a crime...

is sycophants and flunkies and cultists crying foul. Boo hoo. 

I'm not a zealot who justifies anything in the name of their partisan goals. I'm not a "destroy the village in order to save it" type of guy. I think norms matter and the rule of law matter. And when the law becomes a tool merely to get someone like James promised to "get Trump", the rule of law doesn't really exist. It's just a weapon wielded by partisans. 

There's two kinds of people as demonstrated by Robert Bolt in the play "A Man for All Seasons"

William Roper: “So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!”
More: “Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?”

Roper: “Yes, I’d cut down every law in England to do that!

More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man’s laws, not God’s! And if you cut them down, and you’re just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake!”

The Roman Republic fell in large part because law became weaponized. Once you go down that path, once laws are simply tools to punish opponents and protect friends, it's not too long before weapons take the place of laws.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    8 months ago

a lot of crooks dont get convicted of crimes

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    8 months ago
I think norms matter and the rule of law matter.

Do you think Trump cares at all about norms or the rule of law ?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.3.5  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.4    8 months ago
[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    8 months ago

In A Man For  All  Seasons, William Roper lied about Thomas More. No one is lying about Trump.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.4    8 months ago
o you think Trump cares at all about norms or the rule of law ?

I don't care what Trump believes. That's the point. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.8  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    8 months ago

Yup, when a lifelong thug, grifter, crook, is finally held accountable, the whining just goes into overdrive.

They hold the former traitor thug 'president' to no standards whatsoever.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.3.9  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.6    8 months ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.10  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    8 months ago
I think norms matter and the rule of law matter. And when the law becomes a tool merely to get someone like James promised to "get Trump", the rule of law doesn't really exist. It's just a weapon wielded by partisans. 

Attorney James has not made the court do anything. Had she used her office to bring a frivolous case, it is doubtful that she would have gotten this far with such a personal attack!

As you might imagine on any given other matter, when a judge acts and decides a matter before her/him there is  consideration given to the review of the decision so professionally judges try to do their best, if only to avoid the loss generated by having not done their best toward a fellow citizen.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.3.11  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @2.3.9    8 months ago

removed for context

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @2.3.10    8 months ago
ad she used her office to bring a frivolous case, it is doubtful that she would have gotten this far with such a personal attack!

Lol. Are you familiar with the Democratic Party? Simply being on this discussion site should have disabused you of any such notion about Democrats. 

s and decides a matter before her/him there is  consideration given to the review of the decision so professionally judges try to do their best

I hate to tell you, but Judges, especially Judges who are elected, are politicians, and this Judge in particular is a left wing activist. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.13  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.12    8 months ago

Then, . . . the nation should stop electing judges. . . . If there is nothing else. . . let's move on. It is shameful that we have judges that bear labels that people can point to which give people the opportunity to call them out as such and such. But let's be clear: I have no belief whatsoever that you would be fair to this judge (like you would be "over-fair" to Donald). 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.3.14  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    8 months ago

Wow, 355 million and trump didn't do a damn thing wrong? Wow! /s

Outis
Freshman Expert
3  Outis    8 months ago

My goodness!

Trump is a crook.

Who would ever have imagined such a thing?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    8 months ago

I remember back in 2015. When Trump announced he was going to run for president I started to look for articles about him. Because I didn't know very much about him other than The Apprentice TV shows. And  him having been on Johnny Carson and David Letterman.  So I looked at some articles, And one of them  referred specifically to the way Trump would manipulate the value of his properties. based on whether he wanted to get bank loans or to pay less property tax.

When he wanted a loan  he would inflate the value of the property. In the documents. And when he wanted to avoid property taxes he would try and make the case to the tax authority that the property was worth a fraction of what they thought it was. This was 8 1/2 years ago. The article that I was reading at that time was probably written 10 or 12 years ago.

So this whole story of Trump committing this kind of fraud isn't new.  But it took all these years and probably even decades for someone in law enforcement, in the judicial system, to give a damn about it. So there's no sympathy given to Trump. He's been this sort of a fraud and crook for a long long time. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JBB    8 months ago

Happy Disgorgement Day Everybody!

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  JBB @5    8 months ago

I vote for this because I see it as just and not as glee! It is a sad development for a man who won't stop 'experimenting' with cases through the Department of Justice and state legal systems.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JBB    8 months ago

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @6    8 months ago

I like it!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    8 months ago

"without a showing of obvious victims and major losses."

Wow, a victimless crime, and no lenders lost money. They knowingly accepted the appraisals and made the loans.

Puffery is a well-known tactic when buying or selling real estate or getting loans on same.

What You Should Know About Puffing in Real Estate (realtybiznews.com)

Hallux
Professor Principal
7.1  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @7    8 months ago

Did you read your link? Donald was not engaged in the small time puffery talked of in the article.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @7.1    8 months ago

Yeah, and 1/6 was a few tourists who got a little rowdy. . .jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    8 months ago

Alot rowdy but it is good to see you understanding

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @7.1    8 months ago

What parties were injured, and in what way? Where is the loss?

Lenders and banks are not fooled, their appraisers know what they are doing and loan accordingly. The loans were repaid. 

Be honest, this amounts to political prosecution and nothing else and everyone, including you, knows it.

This verdict by one Trump hating judge is excessive and has a good chance of being overturned on appeal.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.3    8 months ago
ers and banks are not fooled, their appraisers know what they are doing and loan accordingly. The loans were repaid.

That's literally how loans work.  The loan recipient provides an estimate of the values to the bank. The bank appraises the collateral and either agrees or disagrees and proceeds accordingly.  Which is what happened.

This has to be the first time the "victims" in a fraud trial offered testimony in support of the supposed fraud

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.4    8 months ago

And who would Trump pay the fines to?  

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.6  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.4    8 months ago

Trump may have considered his actions as reasonable as you do; trouble is, the law is the law and if some one brings a charge. . . the law will scrutinize and decide what is reasonable and appropriate. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.7  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.5    8 months ago

To whomsoever brought the case to court, that seems to be the State of New York.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @7    8 months ago

Friend Greg, do not bypass the court's decision making process. No reasonable judge has it in for Trump; the law is what it is. Whether or not people are brought before the law each and every time this kind of thing happens is not a consideration of the court. Laws are its basis for deciding. Trump, who is a "perennial" litigate has for since his days of Roy Kohn known this fact about courts!

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.3  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @7    8 months ago
Wow, a victimless crime

So you admit it's a crime. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
8  Hallux    8 months ago

... and Ivanka pulls away with a lite wrist slap. Ah the fickle finger of the blindfolded lady.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
9  Robert in Ohio    8 months ago

It took way too long for the right verdict in this case to finally be reached.

I guess we will see if he really has access to all that cash (millions) that he has bragged about

Time to pay up Mr. Trump!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Robert in Ohio @9    8 months ago

Probably be overturned.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1    8 months ago

Probably be affirmed.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1    8 months ago

Probably be overturned.

Very unlikely. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
9.1.3  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1    8 months ago

Probably be overturned.

I doubt that, it might be modified ($ amount lowered) but I think the ruling will stand the test of appeal.