╌>

Measles is a 'heat-seeking missile' experts warn as Florida outbreak grows

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  8 months ago  •  74 comments

Measles is a 'heat-seeking missile' experts warn as Florida outbreak grows

T he Florida measles outbreak is expanding. On Friday, health officials in   Broward County   confirmed a seventh case of the virus, a child under age 5.

The patient is the youngest so far to be infected in the outbreak, and the first to be identified outside of Manatee Bay Elementary School in Weston, near Fort Lauderdale.

It’s unknown what connection the youngest measles case has to the school, but the spread beyond school-age kids was expected.

Cases are “not going to stay contained just to that one school, not when a virus is this infectious,” said Dr. David Kimberlin, co-director of the division of pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that as of Friday there have been at least   35 measles cases in 15 states   in 2024 — most related to international travel. In January, there were nine measles cases in Pennsylvania, eight of them in Philadelphia. (If there are no more cases reported there as of early next week, the   Philadelphia outbreak   will be declared over.) Late Friday,   Michigan s health department   announced that it, too, had identified a measles case — its first since 2019.

Florida’s outbreak is the largest in the U.S. right now. And what Florida’s health officials are doing — or not doing — is drawing fire from experts who study the way diseases spread.

Measles is so contagious   and has such a long incubation period that the decision of the state’s Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo to let parents decide whether to quarantine their children or let them keep going to school could allow cases to spread, experts warn.

LINK TO SEEDED ARTICLE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/measles-is-a-heat-seeking-missile-experts-warn-as-florida-outbreak-grows/ar-BB1iOiTM?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=029547fdef0e404fa970b66da4f280ec&ei=20

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     8 months ago

Florida  State’s Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo is playing with fire. The way to stop measles is well documented and that is not what Ladapo is doing.

This is result when you control it correctly and when you don't. 

In American Samoa, there were 12 measles cases and no deaths reported. However, in the nation of Samoa, there were more than 5,700 cases and 83 deaths reported, most occurring in children under 5 years old.

Long-term effects of measles

For every 10,000 children infected with measles, 2,000 will be hospitalized; 1,000 will develop ear infections with the potential for permanent hearing loss; 500 will develop pneumonia; and 10 to 30 will die, said Hotez, who is also dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    8 months ago
Florida State’s Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo is playing with fire.

that clown should be good for a few more party wrecking deathsantis jokes...

For every 10,000 children infected with measles, 2,000 will be hospitalized; 1,000 will develop ear infections with the potential for permanent hearing loss; 500 will develop pneumonia; and 10 to 30 will die, said Hotez, who is also dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

are there any survival stats for anti-vax seniors that get infected? my Dr told me last summer that I may need a booster if measles blows up.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    8 months ago
my Dr told me last summer that I may need a booster if measles blows up.

Mine did the same and from the looks of what is happening here now it may be necessary

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @1    7 months ago

The Surgeon General, appointed by Governor De Santis, is a vaccine opponent and won't back the CDC recommendations

against a highly contagious disease with no cure.

Joseph Ladapo: Florida surgeon general at odds with CDC over measles (usatoday.com)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    7 months ago

He should lose his license to practice medicine

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @1.2    7 months ago

Currently he is being blasted by the medical field for his handling of the measles outbreak.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    7 months ago
He should lose his license to practice medicine

He has been called a quack by more than a few members of the medical community and if these measles thing spreads he may well be looking for a new job.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    7 months ago

One has to question why he was appointed.

DeSantis wanted to fight the mask mandates and the vaccine  mandates.

To his apparent delight he finds a black, Nigerian born Doctor who hates vaccines and masks

and will stand beside DeSantis and criticize the CDC and common sense medicine in favor of "feelings".

You know those parents have rights too, and if their kids die, well it's the parents fault right?

He has, in spite of being traumatized by sexual assault by a baby sitter, collected degrees from

NYU, Harvard and USC.

He promoted Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine during Covid while questioning the vaccines.

He routinely opposes and criticizes the FDA and the CDC.

He opposes all gender care for minors.

He's a perfect Republican/s  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.5  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @1.2.4    7 months ago

In Florida, surgeon general ushers in a bright new day for medical quackery

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    7 months ago

Awesome article, lol!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1    7 months ago

doesn't measles have the potential to cause blindness also?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3    7 months ago
doesn't measles have the potential to cause blindness also?

Yes, it does.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @1.3.1    7 months ago

The rest of this thread was removed for no value. Knock it off. Only warning.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    7 months ago

yeah!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1    7 months ago

They keep saying measles but I cannot find anywhere which of the two types it is. Is it rubella or rubeola. Both are contagious.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  author  Kavika     8 months ago

EVERYONE BACK ON THE SUBJECT OR YOU'LL BE DELETED.

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    7 months ago

It's got to be some sort of human axiom that people have to keep repeating the mistakes of the past.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3    7 months ago

... it's called the republican party.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.1  evilone  replied to  devangelical @3.1    7 months ago

There are enough anti-vax flakes on the left to make them a problem - hell we have one of their leaders running for President.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3.1.1    7 months ago

Please point out the 'anti-vax flakes on the left' - thank you very much.

You're speaking of JFK, Jr. as one on the - I don't know where the fuck he is, but it's not the 'left' and Jenny McCarthy an actress, not a leftie as far as I know.  Two examples of anti-vaxxers that pop right to mind but I can't think of any on the left that I would deem anti-vaxxers.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    7 months ago

jfk, jr.'s family has pretty much denounced him.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.4  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    7 months ago
You're speaking of JFK, Jr. as one on the - I don't know where the fuck he is, but it's not the 'left'...

The No True Scotsman Fallacy does work with me. It's RFK Jr and he runs as a liberal and supports most liberal causes. The fact he's also a flake doesn't make him not liberal. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3    7 months ago

After this article there have been two more cases and the medical field is blasting the Florida Surgeon General.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3.2    7 months ago

The medical field all over the country is taking notice. I first read about it on an LA Times article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.2  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3.2.1    7 months ago

Yes, they are but our fearless leader and Surgeon General are much more interested in fighting ''woke''...

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.2.2    7 months ago

I read somewhere the outbreak was in an elementary school. isn't the quarantine time length from exposure excessive and this clown is telling parents their kids don't need to be vaccinated?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.4  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @3.2.3    7 months ago

Exactly right, devan.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.2.4    7 months ago

maga healthcare...

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @3.2.5    7 months ago

anti-woke public healthcare

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  author  Kavika     7 months ago

We can now add to our property insurance and auto insurance as the highest in the US and insurance companies leaving and others going bankrupt a breakout of measles makes us number one in another diaster.

But the ''war on woke'' is drawing most of our fearless leader's time and energy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago

do you think deathsantis's 3 kids have their measles vaccinations?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @4.1    7 months ago

Of course they do.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    7 months ago

yeah, his wife has both height and reach advantage over him...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    7 months ago

meh, she knew how to handle short pawing italians from that miami strip club back when she was a coed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.4  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.3    7 months ago

he always had new dollar bills and couldn't reach over the stage... they fell in love...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @4    7 months ago

More reasons I am so happy I live in the Arizona desert.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 months ago

It is HILARIOUS that there are people who think the state are stopping people from getting a vaccination.  

Especially when there are School Immunization Requirements:

Immunizations Required for Childcare and/or Family Daycare

(Age-appropriate doses as indicated)
  • Diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (DTaP)
  • Inactivated polio vaccine (IPV)
  • Measles-mumps-rubella (MMR)
  • Varicella (chickenpox)
  • Haemophilus influenzae   type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal conjugate (PCV13)
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B)

Did NOBODY do a simple google search to look this up?

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    7 months ago
It is HILARIOUS that there are people who

Did you read the article? Where does anyone claim the state is STOPPING people from getting vaccinated? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  evilone @5.1    7 months ago
Did you read the article?

Where did I say that was in the article.  I was referring to the comments section.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    7 months ago
Where did I say that was in the article.  I was referring to the comments section.

If you are addressing a comment then hit ''reply'' and address it directly making the comment.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    7 months ago

You mean like in 6 below?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.3    7 months ago

Yes, since it copies your comment you should know it's directed to you. 

Now, you want to try and make a comment on the crux of the article or not.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1.4    7 months ago
Yes, since it copies your comment you should know it's directed to you. 

You should follow your own direction.

Now, you want to try and make a comment on the crux of the article or not.

I did.  My comment deals directly with the false information provided by the article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  author  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.5    7 months ago
You should follow your own direction.

And you should comment on the article.

I did.  My comment deals directly with the false information provided by the article.

There is no false information. 

Be on topic or be deleted.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.5    7 months ago

Please stay on topic and within the scope of the article. Any further comments will be deleted. The seeder has the right to determine the scope of the article always.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    7 months ago
Dr Quack Lapado is in charge of the Florida department of health and has quite publicly suspended vaccine requirements

And where in my link does it reflect any suspensions?  It doesn't.  This is what happens when you don't do your own research and rely on what somebody else told you..  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.1    7 months ago

I have feeling you won't read any of the links provided, even the one from Fox News, but I will try one more time.

In a letter dated Tuesday about an outbreak at Manatee Bay Elementary School in Weston, located northwest of Miami and west of Fort Lauderdale, the state’s surgeon general, Joseph Ladapo, said that while it is normal policy to tell unvaccinated children to stay home during an outbreak, the state department of health will leave the choice of whether to send susceptible kids to school up to their parents. Six measles cases have been reported at the school in the past week. Measles policy set amid Florida outbreak alarms vaccine proponents (statnews.com)

In an interview with STAT, Katelyn Jetelina, an epidemiologist who writes a popular  Substack column  called Your Local Epidemiologist, said she was struggling to find the words to describe her reaction to Ladapo’s letter. It does not urge parents of unvaccinated children to get their kids vaccinated against measles

(that implies that there are unvaccinated kids in the schools, Broward County says over 1000)

, does not mention the safety of measles vaccines, and makes no reference to the health risks measles poses. Measles policy set amid Florida outbreak alarms vaccine proponents (statnews.com)

If you would like to verify the Dr's letter or the fact that Florida now permits unvaccinated children to attend school here is a good phone number for the FL Dept of Health (850) 245-4444

But since every news agency in the states is reporting on this incorrectly, maybe you should refer them to the web page you think matters.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @5.2.2    7 months ago

Broward County Superintendent Peter Licata  told Local 10 News  Wednesday that the elementary school has a 92 percent vaccination rate.

Vaccination rules at Florida schools

In Florida, the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, or MMR, is required to attend public and private childcare and K-12 schools. But   some students can avoid the vaccine by getting a medical or religious exemption .

In Broward county (Manatee School District) that number is 8%.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @5.2.3    7 months ago

There's only 2 million people in Broward County, what could possibly go wrong with the Surgeon General suspending vaccination requirements in defiance of his own Health Department's own web page?

I couldn't find a whole copy of Lapadope's letter to the community but he even poo poos the 21 day incubation

period and tells parents to "just use your judgement" on when to send them back to school.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.5  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @5.2.4    7 months ago

This link will take you to the complete letter Lapadope's sent to parents.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @5.2.5    7 months ago

Thank you for that.

Once again Lapadope acknowledges that there are unvaccinated children in the school in spite of what his own Department's website states is a requirement.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.6    7 months ago

yeah, you surely don't want those you've amped up on bullshit conspiracies to turn on you...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.8  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @5.2.3    7 months ago

In just about every other state these anti-vaxers are forced to home school their offspring.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.9  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.8    7 months ago

there's no federal money in that...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @5.2.9    7 months ago

But there are tax credits

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  author  Kavika     7 months ago
And where in my link does it reflect any suspensions?  It doesn't.  This is what happens when you don't do your own research and rely on what somebody else told you.. 

The subject is the Florida Surgeon General, Dr. Lapado is not following the proven standard response to a measles outbreak which is highly contagious and deadly.  

Get on topic now.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    7 months ago

Be Franklin was a longtime champion of vaccination, this primitive version was called variolation, against smallpox.  He was a proponent of scientific advances of the day.  He felt a civic responsibility to use his newspaper to warn readers of outbreaks with reporting on who survived after variolation and who died.  During one outbreak in Boston, 1/3 of the population died while those vaccinated survive.

Variolation then, required live virus cells taken from someone stricken and scratched it into the skin of a healthy person. This person usually contracted a very mild version, lasting several days but was immune for life.

An outback occurred in Philadelphia at the same time as his 4 year old son was suffering from dysentery.  Think that variolation might be to dangerous while his son had dysentery, Ben didn't have his son vaccinated.  Weeks later his son contracted small pox and died.

In his autobiography, he wrote, “I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it [smallpox] to him by inoculation.”  Not able to measure the risk in the 18th century is understandable, not able to today isn't understandable.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    7 months ago

Well Ben was rumored to have been struck by lightning once or twice and just not that bright afterwards.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @7.1    7 months ago
Ben was rumored to have been struck by lightning once or twice

The woman around him found him electrifying, especially those in Paris.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.1    7 months ago

Back in my paramedic days my partner was struck by lightning while we were lifting a patient into the box. The patient and I weren't hit but we had to have a deputy drive us all to the hospital.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.3  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @7.1.2    7 months ago

I was at a company picnic when a tree was hit with lightning and it blew all the bark off and set the tree on fire.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.4  evilone  replied to  cjcold @7.1.2    7 months ago
Back in my paramedic days my partner was struck by lightning...

Back when I was a teen, lightning struck a birch tree in our back yard. My sister was swapping laundry loads and the current followed the steel plumbing into the house and knocked her on her ass.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.1    7 months ago

I find that shocking!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8  cjcold    7 months ago

Back in the day when I was a paramedic student going through clinical rotations in emergency rooms they vaccinated me and we all vaccinated each other. Can't get too much of a good thing when you are on the front firing line.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9  cjcold    7 months ago

Folk who don't get vaccinated should not be allowed out of their homes during a pandemic.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    7 months ago

Fucking anti-vaxxers. I have said for some time, release small pox among the antivaxx crowd and see how quickly they change their tune.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1  devangelical  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10    7 months ago

wtf? I thought nailing their doors and windows shut and torching the house was traditional...