╌>

26 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  3 months ago  •  22 comments

By:   Jake Valentine

26 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities

The discussion of crime rate rates, violent crime rates, urban poverty, the migrant crisis municipal mismanagement and the throngs of citizens leaving urban America for the suburbs and beyond rage and people are more than willing to ignore statistics or better yet find a slant on statistics that best support their position on the issue.

But here is a list - the most dangerous cities in America 

It is important to remember that there are more factors than the crime rate (though that is high on my list) in determining the best / worst cities in America.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

1. Memphis, Tennessee     Population: 624,944  Violent Crime Rate: 19.45

2. Detroit, Michigan            Population: 626.757  Violent Crime Rate: 14.96

3. Little Rock, Arkansas     Population: 201,513   Violent Crime Rate: 13.42

4. Cleveland, Ohio             Population: 363,764   Violent Crime Rate: 12.15

5. Kansas City, Missouri    Population: 508,856   Violent Crime Rate: 10.90

6. Pueblo, Colorado          Population: 112,618    Violent Crime Rate: 10.78

7. St. Louis, Missouri         Population: 286,053   Violent Crime Rate: 10.72

8. Beaumont, Texas          Population: 110,898    Violent Crime Rate: 10.69

9. Lansing, Michigan         Population: 112,567    Violent Crime Rate: 10.49

10. Tacoma, Washington  Population: 219,027    Violent Crime Rate: 9.63

11. Peoria, Illinois              Population: 110,551    Violent Crime Rate: 9.20

12. Milwaukee, Wi             Population: 561,743   Violent Crime Rate: 9.05

13. Albuquerque, NM        Population: 560,557   Violent Crime Rate: 8.96

Check out the article for the remainder of the list

Red Box Rules

Agree, disagree or propose alternate theories - by all means check out the article and otehr articles on the subject.

Be civil as you disagree

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

"The issue of safety in America's most dangerous cities is multifaceted, influenced by a combination of socioeconomic factors, community dynamics, and law enforcement strategies.

From bustling urban centers to smaller communities, these cities grapple with various challenges, including high rates of violent crime, property crime, and socioeconomic disparities. Despite ongoing efforts to address these issues, they continue to face significant obstacles in ensuring the safety and well-being of their residents."

10 Most Dangerous Cities In The US: Unveiling America's Riskiest Urban Centers | IBTimes

This article gives additional insight and a slightly different ordering of the list

Crime, money, urban decay, illegal immigration issues, political malfeasance, police corruption, criminal organizations are all factors in the problem and the solutions will be just as complex and involve much more than pouring money on the problem.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    3 months ago

Those that top the list are OBVIOUSLY RED STATES.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    3 months ago

Blue cities in red states?  Have you looked at the city demographics?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    3 months ago

tessylo

Pay attention, it is about the cities not the states

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.2    3 months ago

Again, go talk down to someone else.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    3 months ago
Those that top the list are OBVIOUSLY RED STATES.

How does a red or blue STATE end up on a list of CITIES????????

They ARE two different things!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    3 months ago
They ARE two different things!

I guess. But don’t people conflate these things all the time - perhaps with good reason? Aren’t our various levels of government interconnected? I have seen plenty of people - here and elsewhere - blame governors for what goes on in cities. I have also seen people blame the president for what goes on in states and cities. 

Seems a little inconsistent to suggest that just for this story, we should focus only on city government.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.5    3 months ago

if one is citing a study that included cities only, it is kind of ignorant to conflate that with states.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    3 months ago

You’re just restating your position without addressing the content of my comment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    3 months ago

It frightens me that my son and his young family are located in a city that stands 12th among all the most dangerous cities in the USA.  I wish he could have found similar employment in Canada, his home country.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    3 months ago

Why can’t you convince him to move for the sake of the family?  Money isn’t everything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.1    3 months ago

It's not the money, it's the prestige of the position.  Besides, his wife is American and his children were all born there.  He just obtained American citizenship so now he has dual citizenship.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2  Nerm_L    3 months ago

Yes, Memphis, TN, does have a population size of about 630,000.  But Memphis attracts somewhere between 10 and 11 million tourists each year.  On average, the number people in Memphis is twice the number of residents.  The crime rate in Memphis would, at the least, be cut in half based on the averages.

And Memphis becomes one of the safest cities, with one of the lowest crime rates, if the calculation was based on the real world population size of 12 million residents and tourists instead of on only the 630,000 resident population.  Isn't it conventional wisdom that tourism attracts crime?

So, the analysis is flawed.  And the ranking doesn't really mean anything.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Nerm_L @2    3 months ago

Nerm

You should be a politician the way you turned the facts completely upside down.

But your point on tourism is a factor

However, much of the research that has been conducted shows a  positive correlation between tourism and crime . One such study, conducted by the University of Sassari in Italy, showed that a 1% increase in the number of tourists leads to a.018% increase in total crime in Italy.

Does Tourism Increase Crime? | The Wiseman Law Firm (wisemantriallaw.com)

Tourism is also a factor in many other cities on and off this list so it is a factor rather than a reason to remove a city from the list

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.1    3 months ago
You should be a politician the way you turned the facts completely upside down.

Politicians typically oversimplify analyses to maximize impact.  I'm not oversimplifying the narrative, am I?

Tourism is also a factor in many other cities on and off this list so it is a factor rather than a reason to remove a city from the list

Geography is also a factor.  For example, St. Louis really is a tiny core urban area surrounded by a large ring of suburbs.  As the seeded data shows, St. Louis has a population size of 286,000.  But the population size of St. Louis County is 997,000.  And the size of the St. Louis metro area is 2.2 million.  St. Charles is a suburb of St. Louis and has a population size almost twice as large as the urban center.  St. Louis attracts between 22 and 28 million tourists annually but I don't know how large a geographic area that covers (I assume that encompasses the metro area with a population of 2.2 million). 

The transient population (non-resident visitors) is much, much larger than the number of permanent residents.  And that will definitely influence the analysis.  For example, New York attracts around 60 million tourists annually but the ratio of tourists to permanent residents is much smaller so tourism would be a smaller factor in New York's crime rate.

I haven't done the analysis but I wouldn't be surprised if Sturgis, SD, has a very high crime rate.  Sturgis has a permanent population size of about 8,000 but the motorcycle rally attracts over 400,000 visitors.  There's 50 times more tourists than residents in Sturgis; that shifts a lot of blame onto the resident population.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Nerm_L @2    3 months ago

This is obviously at the level of ‘anecdote,’ but I have friends who live in Memphis and I never hear a word from them about crime. They seem very happy.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago
But your point on tourism is a factor

A 64% Black population and a 24% poverty rate might also be factors.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

Crime is a very local phenomenon so it makes much more sense to look at it by cities  than at a state or national level.  Even In within the same city,  it usually takes  places within small areas, particularly violent crime.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 months ago

Not a single location over a million people. So, the very big cities are safer? Having lived in and around Los Angeles for a long time, I don’t think I would say that. Beware of statistic lists like this and the conclusions people reach based on them.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 months ago

Yep, big difference in crime between Glendale and West Adams or Encino and Downtown.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    3 months ago

Meanwhile people in Little Rock are singing "We're Number 3! "We're Number 3!"

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    3 months ago

woo hoo! fire up the cross!