╌>

Could Democrats replace Biden?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  8 months ago  •  26 comments

By:    Kunal Dey

Could Democrats replace Biden?
"Here are 7 potential contenders if POTUS drops his 2024 reelection bid"

It seems unlikely that the Democrats would replace Biden, short of some catastrophic health event, but arre these the  top candidates for the job/

A preview of the dog fight in 2028?

Is there a replacement for Kamala Harris in this group?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Following President Joe Biden's announcement of his re-election bid last April, Democratic leaders swiftly rallied around his candidacy, which is typical for an incumbent. Yet, Biden's journey up until now has been anything but ordinary. The Delaware Democrat brings with him over five decades of experience in Washington as a Delaware senator, former vice president, and now President.

Despite being 82 years old at a potential second inauguration in January 2025 and 86 at the end of a second term, Biden has staunchly defended his reelection bid, touting accomplishments such as the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the Inflation Reduction Act.

However, concerns about his age persist among voters, particularly following scrutiny over his handling of classified documents. While speculation swirls about his future in the race, Biden's strong performance in the South Carolina Democratic primary and his commitment to a likely rematch with former president Donald Trump make his departure unlikely.

Nonetheless, the question of who might succeed him in such a scenario looms. Let's take a look at potential Democrats who could replace Biden if he decided not to run in the 2024 presidential elections.

1. Vice President Kamala Harris

2. California Governor Gavin Newsom

3. Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer

4. Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar

5. New Jersey Senator Cory Booker

6. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper

7. Maryland Governor Wes Moore

Red Box Rules

The discussion is not about Trump, but rather the Democratic ticket, please confine your comments to the topic.

Argue, debate, defend your views but above all be civil to each other.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    8 months ago

“No one who’s done this at this level thinks that removing the sitting president of the United States, who’s a Democrat, from your ballot is remotely plausible,” said Cornell Belcher, one of former President Obama’s pollsters. “It’s completely absurd.”

Why replacing Biden with Newsom, another Democrat in 2024 is unlikely - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

One byproduct of what some are calling “Oldgate” — a panic over Special Counsel  Robert Hur ’s suggestion that President  Joe Biden  is an “elderly man” with memory issues — has been media efforts to understand and explain how Democrats could replace the 46th president as their 2024 nominee, either with or without his consent. From a political perspective, the idea that Biden might be dumped from the ticket is extremely far-fetched. But technically it is possible, though increasingly complicated, right up to Election Day.

Democrats Can Replace Biden in 2024 Election, But They Won’t (nymag.com)

Donald Trump has said he doesn’t think Biden “makes it,” and when Ron DeSantis was still in the race,  the Florida governor speculated  Democrats “may sub him out for someone else.”

Opinion | The Republican Fantasy that Democrats Will Replace Joe Biden - POLITICO

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    8 months ago

They could, but they won't. Without a demonstrable reason the optics would be very bad. It would take something like Biden going into the hospital, or making an announcement on his health.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  evilone @2    8 months ago

Exactly what I said above - I agree, but if things look really bad or at least worse than they do now, could one of the six (other than Kamala) be a replacement as VP on the ticket and thus create a springboard for the 2028 candidate?

Kamala Harris will not be getting elected and likely won't even be running in 2028 even if she remains on the ticket

What say you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    8 months ago

The Democrats are stuck with Joe like the GOP is stuck with Trump.

Only voters can make any difference.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @3    8 months ago

I agree in principle with the exception I noted in the article (ill health) but do you think there is a chance tht Kmala is replaced with a view towards 2028

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    8 months ago

How could anyone watch him lie and stumble through a prepared speech, like he did with governors this weekend (falsely claiming, again,  he traveled 170,000 miles with XI) and possibly think he can fulfill the job for 4 years.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    8 months ago

Have you ever heard a Donald Trump speech ?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    8 months ago
ave you ever heard a Donald Trump speech ?

Yeah, and I'd never vote for him. So claiming Biden is the same as Trump really isn't a winning argument with me. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    8 months ago

One of these two guys is going to be president. I'll take the guy that's not a mentally ill traitor

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    8 months ago
I'll take the guy that's not a mentally ill traitor

Not sure that narrows it down as much as you think it does.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    8 months ago
I'll take the guy that's not a mentally ill traitor

So you won't be voting for Trump OR Biden.

Good for you!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1.5  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    8 months ago

Excellent point, he wanders around aimlessly and repeats things, makes things up and is mentally unaware he is doing it half the time.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Robert in Ohio @4.1.5    8 months ago

That doesn't narrow it down for me either.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5  seeder  Robert in Ohio    8 months ago

A recent Economist/YouGov poll found that while Americans were evenly divided in their direct support for Trump versus Biden in a hypothetical 2024 matchup, more respondents expected Trump to emerge victorious in such an election.

45% predicted Trump would win compared to 34% for Biden, with 21% undecided.

Trump’s Favorability Prevails In New Poll (msn.com)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    8 months ago

Okay, you've had lots of white men, you've had a black man, I propose that Kavika should be POTUS.  He's more connected with America than ANY suggested candidate. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    8 months ago

What’s his age?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    8 months ago

Old enough to be very experienced, young enough to be totally competent, physically and mentally.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    8 months ago
What’s his age?

Immortal

Member of Mensa Plus - we are a digit above

Meaner than a rez dog - you don't want to fuck with a rez dog

Lifetime member of RCA (rez car anonymous)

Lifetime member of FBI (Fry bread Inspector)

I own an Indian Chief Motorcycle

I was American before there was an America

My DNA is the oldest DNA in what is now America...My  haplogroup is part of MtDNA B2, which originated in Arizona about 17,000 years ago. 

I have one wife, two children (both brilliant and handsome/beautiful, four grandchildren, twelve great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren. To say I'm a family man is a vast understatement.

We are a multicultural/race/nationality family, except for me I'm 100% Indian, but my family has Ojibwe, French, Metis, English, Dutch, Samoan, Maori, Chinese, and Jewish. So in a family photo I appeal to everyone. 

I am well financed for the presidential run, I took back Manhattan, California, Arizona, Nevada and sold them back to Spain/Mexico/England. So I don't have to run ongoing grifts. 

I've never paid hush money for anything except that one time that....oh, it's past the statute of limitations, no worries. 

I have already chosen my VP, and she is a Red Female, tough shit to those that have a problem with it.

ca231d09bd4b6c0769b83af28bb6fe6e.jpg

My motto is,  FRYBREAD IN EVERY POT.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    8 months ago

Excellent!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1.2    8 months ago

Go for it!!!!  You've been a world traveller, to more nations than I have - experience for Foreign Affairs (although because of Red I know you wouldn't have an affair), are very much aware of America's lakes and their denizens and wildlife generally, especially wolves, which makes you qualified in environmental matters, don't stutter when you write and could beat both Biden and Trump together in an arm wrestle.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.4    8 months ago

Thanks, Buzz and as an honorary Ojibwe you can vote in US Presidential elections.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1.5    8 months ago

My symbol, which I have always been proud to wear on the back of my favourite everyday jacket.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7  Right Down the Center    8 months ago

BB1iVThP.img?w=534&h=316&m=6

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
7.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Right Down the Center @7    7 months ago

RDtC

So it seems to tell me that nearly 60% of those polled did not look on Trump favorably and less did so for Biden - meaning neither is a desirable president

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Robert in Ohio @7.1    7 months ago

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Robert in Ohio @7.1    7 months ago

Correct, neither one is desirable by the majority of the voting public. The problem is that the political parties don't care about the people and will run who they want. Politics is not about what's best for the voting public, but rather what's best for the party to keep that money and power flowing back to them.