╌>

Who is Jose Antonio Ibarra? Man arrested for murder of Laken Riley at UGA campus

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  8 months ago  •  18 comments

By:   Yahoo News

Who is Jose Antonio Ibarra? Man arrested for murder of Laken Riley at UGA campus
Here's what we know about 26-year-old Jose Antonio Ibarra, who was arrested for the murder of 22-year-old Laken Hope Riley on the UGA campus.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Jose Antonio Ibarra, 26, who is not a U.S. citizen, but lives in the Athens area, was booked into the Athens-Clarke County Jail Friday evening. A judge denied bond for Ibarra on Saturday morning.

Ibarra faces charges of malice murder, felony murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment, kidnapping, hindering a 911 call, and concealing the death of another.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT LAKEN RILEY

The announcement came during a press conference Friday evening along with a few other details about what police are calling a "crime of opportunity."

Laken Riley did not know her attacker, police say

University of Georgia Police Chief Jeff Clark says they are still trying to determine the motive behind the brutal murder of 22-year-old Laken Riley, whose body was discovered in the forested area behind Lake Herrick, after she failed to return from a run along a path near the Intramural Fields.

Investigators revealed on Friday evening that Riley died from blunt force trauma.

Police say they were able to link Ibarra to the murder through use of the campus security camera network and several witnesses. The chief also said other technology was also used, but did not elaborate.

Search warrant in murder of Laken Riley

Earlier in the day, three people were taken into custody and questioned, but only Jose Ibarra was arrested for Riley's murder.

Police have a mobile command center set up at an apartment complex near Lake Herrick where 22-year-old Laken Riley was found dead Thursday. @FOX5Atlantapic.twitter.com/TSac4PzIuF
— Kim Leoffler (@kimleoffler) February 23, 2024

At the same time, a mobile command center at the Argo Apartments off Milledge Avenue near Lake Herrick and UGA was set up. Investigators were seen combing through an apartment and even the trash.

UGA police confirmed investigators are still searching the apartment, but say already, the evidence pointing to Ibarra is "robust."

Jose Ibarra's criminal history

Few details about Ibarra were released during Friday's press conference. Chief Clark said there was no clear history of violence for the 26-year-old murder suspect and his criminal history is not extensive.

Ibarra is not a U.S. citizen, but his status in the country could not be immediately verified. Investigators say he came from Venezuela but did not offer his current immigration status in the U.S.

Chief Clark said evidence found at the apartment appears to show Ibarra acted alone.

The chief called this a "very isolated incident," adding that this is the first homicide at UGA in at least 30 years.

It is not clear when Ibarra will be making his first appearance on those murder charges.

Anyone with information about the incident should call the UGA Police Department at 706-542-2200.

Jose Ibarra's brother arrested for having fake green card

Diego Ibarra, 29, of Venezuela, was one of the men questioned in the death of Laken Riley on Friday, the Department of Justice revealed.

He is the older brother of Jose Ibarra.

The United States Attorney's Office Middle District of Georgia revealed the charges late Friday evening and said he will be prosecuted federally.

The elder Ibarra has a series of arrests in Athens, according to the DOJ.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    8 months ago

I guess the congrats goes to Joe Biden and those who would vote for him.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago

I guess the congrats goes to Joe Biden and those who would vote for him.

I will happily vote for Biden again. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    8 months ago

[deleted]

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to    8 months ago

But but but trump. Show me where I ever said I would be happy to vote for trump again.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.3    8 months ago
Show me where I ever said I would be happy to vote for trump again.

Show me where I said I care who you vote for? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.3    8 months ago
But but but trump. Show me where I ever said I would be happy to vote for trump again.

The possibility of someone not voting for Trump or Biden seems to be a completely foreign concept.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    7 months ago

GHNUTzgXYAMmna-?format=jpg&name=small

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    8 months ago

totally preventable death.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    8 months ago

US Customs and Border Protection arrested Ibarra Sept. 8, 2022, after he unlawfully entered the United States near El Paso, Texas. He was paroled and released for further processing.

Last year, he was again arrested in NYC  for driving in an uninsured, unregistered car with a 5-year-old and was charged with acting in a manner to injure a child.  NYCPD  released him before and ICE detainer could be issued.

"Can you give me sanctuary?
I must find a place to hide
A place for me to hide.
Can you find me soft asylum?
I can't make it anymore
The man is at the door."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    8 months ago
NYCPD  released him before and ICE detainer could be issued.

That is another reason people are fleeing blue cities.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    8 months ago

So this dude should have already been deported or incarcerated.

But walked free.

Because of sanctuary policies.

Sanctuaries are complicit in crimes committed by aliens after they have been released due to such idiotic policies.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    8 months ago

Thread @1.1 cleaned up for slap fighting.  Play nicely, please.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Vic Eldred    7 months ago

Biden offers up words of sympathy to the family of Laken Riley, as he above all people, should.

Oh wait ...