╌>

New York man who fatally shot woman who was mistakenly driven up his driveway sentenced to 25 years to life in prison

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 months ago  •  7 comments

New York man who fatally shot woman who was mistakenly driven up his driveway sentenced to 25 years to life in prison
The woman, identified as Kaylin Gillis, was a passenger in a vehicle when a man fired two shots from his front porch,

"I think it's important for people to know that it's not ok to shoot people and have them killed for turning down your driveway," Judge Adam Michelini said.

Apart from the wider deterrent effect, Michelini said it's important that Monahan remain behind bars rather than be free to harm more people.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man who fatally shot a 20-year-old woman in an SUV that was mistakenly driven up his rural driveway in upstate New York was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison on Friday.

Kevin Monahan, 66, was   convicted of second-degree murder   in the death of Kaylin Gillis. Gillis was riding in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that pulled into Monahan's long, winding driveway in the town of Hebron last April while her friends were looking for another person's house.

The conviction had a maximum sentence of 25 years to life, which prosecutors previously said they would be seeking, with additional time for tampering with the murder weapon. The defense asked for leniency. Monahan declined an opportunity to speak.

"I think it's important for people to know that it's not ok to shoot people and have them killed for turning down your driveway," Judge Adam Michelini said. Apart from the wider deterrent effect, Michelini said it's important that Monahan remain behind bars rather than be free to harm more people.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Gillis was riding in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that pulled into Monahan's long, winding driveway in the town of Hebron last April while her friends were looking for another person's house.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

"I think it's important for people to know that it's not ok to shoot people and have them killed for turning down your driveway," Judge Adam Michelini said

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Gillis' death drew attention far beyond upstate New York. It came days after the shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl in Kansas City.

Yarl, who is Black, was wounded by an 84-year-old white man after he went to the wrong door while trying to pick up his younger brothers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

There was a story quite a few years ago about a Chinese man who got lost in the American countryside and knocked on a farmhouse door and the farmer just opened the door and with a shotgun blew the man's head off.  Similar kind of story.  I guess if Americans are not gun-crazy, they are at least mostly gun lovers.  The Wild Wild West all over again.  I bet it's got to be really hard for Americans to imagine what it would be like to live somewhere where people DON'T have guns. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     2 months ago

Sadly, a life was lost for the crime turning in the wrong driveway. How crazy is this country becoming, how much paranoid fear are we seeing?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5    2 months ago

I'm concerned that you're doomed.  I sure wish my son and his family would move back home. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    2 months ago

A little short of justice served but I guess it'll have to do