╌>

Revolt of the Year: The Iranian Women Uprising

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 months ago  •  25 comments

Revolt of the Year: The Iranian Women Uprising
The Islamic Republic’s theocratic elite are on the ropes.

Photo credit: A protester holds up a note reading “Woman, Life, Freedom, #MahsaAmini” while marching down a street on October 1 in Tehran, Iran. (Getty Images)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It takes a special kind of coward to kill a child and steal the body. To execute someone, and only tell their family afterward. To shoot at people chanting the word “freedom,” and shut off the internet in hopes that no one will find out. In the last three months, the Islamic Republic of Iran has done all of this and more.

It is hard to explain to those who have never lived under the Islamic Republic just how many ordinary things are illegal. If you are born a girl, from the age of nine, you must wear a headscarf everywhere you go. Men’s dress is policed too: no shorts, tank tops, or hair that is un-Islamic.

You cannot dance in public, and if you are a woman, you cannot sing either. You cannot hang out with anyone of the opposite gender who you are not directly related to (and under the Islamic Republic, there are only two genders).

Same-sex relationships are illegal, and leaders pretend that gay people do not exist. Music, art, and cinema is illegal if the regime decides it is. Half the internet is filtered by government censors, and virtual private networks, though prevalent, are illegal too.

And of course, do not forget the morality police. On September 16, Iranians were reminded yet again of their bleak reality, when 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, known to her loved ones by her Kurdish name Jina, died in police custody.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

It takes a special kind of coward to kill a child and steal the body. To execute someone, and only tell their family afterward. To shoot at people chanting the word “freedom,” and shut off the internet in hopes that no one will find out. In the last three months, the Islamic Republic of Iran has done all of this and more.

It is hard to explain to those who have never lived under the Islamic Republic just how many ordinary things are illegal.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    7 months ago

I get the feeling that there are courts and State legislations in America that are trying to compete with the Iranian government.  Abortion.  Sexual preferences.  Embryos.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

If you are born a girl, from the age of nine, you must wear a headscarf everywhere you go. Men’s dress is policed too: no shorts, tank tops, or hair that is un-Islamic.

You cannot dance in public, and if you are a woman, you cannot sing either. You cannot hang out with anyone of the opposite gender who you are not directly related to (and under the Islamic Republic, there are only two genders).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    7 months ago

You can put the Afghani Taliban in the same boat.

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  fineline  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    7 months ago

And you choose a larger boat to include evangelicals in the U.S. !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  fineline @2.1.1    7 months ago

And send it out to sea hoping for "A Perfect Storm"?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

Two hours after her arrest, Amini lost consciousness and was taken to the hospital. After three days in a coma, she died. Iranian authorities tried to blame her death on preexisting conditions, though Amini’s father said she had none. Later reports revealed that she had actually suffered repeated blows to her head, causing bone fracture, hemorrhage, and brain edema.

When Iranians learned of the news, their country changed forever . . . 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    7 months ago

There was a French Revolution, a Russian Revolution, wasn't there an American revolution against the Brits? - it's up to the people themselves to do something about it because nobody else is going to help them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    7 months ago
There was a French Revolution, a Russian Revolution, wasn't there an American revolution against the Brits? - it's up to the people themselves to do something about it because nobody else is going to help them.

Yes. We were originally 13 colonies, ruled by the British. Classic Colonialism! Then there was the American revolution and we gained our independence.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    7 months ago
it's up to the people themselves to do something about it because nobody else is going to help them.

Well, the Americans did it mostly by themselves-- but we had some help from France:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
300px-Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg Surrender of Lord Cornwallis , a painting by American artist   John Trumbull   depicting Cornwallis and his army (center) surrendering to French (left) and American (right) troops, at the conclusion of the   Siege of Yorktown   in 1781.

French involvement in the   American Revolutionary War   of 1775–1783 began in 1776 [1]   when the   Kingdom of France   secretly shipped supplies to the   Continental Army   of the   Thirteen Colonies   when it was established in June 1775. France was a long-term historical rival with the   Kingdom of Great Britain , from which the Colonies were attempting to separate.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    7 months ago

A movie on point - The Patriot.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

This is an intergenerational trauma.
This is an intergenerational resistance.

School Kids* chanting Zan, Zendegi, Azadi (Woman, Life, Liberty in Persian) and waving their school scarves in the air.
*Schoolgirls in Iran are forced to cover their hair and bodies head to toe from the age of 7.

----->  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    7 months ago

I would like to see the American government assist these Iranian revolts any way that we can

however I'm afraid that the discovery of US assistance would only make it worse for the people over there

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5    7 months ago
I would like to see the American government assist these Iranian revolts any way that we can however I'm afraid that the discovery of US assistance would only make it worse for the people over there

In any event I don't know what we could do.

So far the protestors have been totally non-violent-- there's no armed conflict, so at  least at this point the protestors aren't using-- sand don't want weapons. 

The are posting a lot on various social media sites (Unfortunsately many don't know English so its in Farsi)-- but some are in English.

The main thing most of them are asking for now is that we post articles about this on as many online sites as possible -- because many in the West actually don't know what's going on.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1    7 months ago
The main thing most of them are asking for now is that we post articles about this on as many online sites as possible -- because many in the West actually don't know what's going on.

Think about it-- how many items about their plight have been posted here on NT?  I don't remember seeing any-- or if there were its was maybe only one or two.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    7 months ago

For more information I just checked-- found this group on Facebook. It is in English, 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    7 months ago

There have been a few but there should always be more

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    7 months ago

Very VERY rare.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.4    7 months ago
Very VERY rare.

Its strange. Especially with people who like to debate current events.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    7 months ago

The Persian Spring will blow cold.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.6    7 months ago
The Persian Spring will blow cold.

Well, whether the Spring is cold or not depends upon what that groundhog does:

On the first day of spring Persians celebrate Nowruz, also known as the New Year. On Sunday at 8:33 a.m. it will be celebration time among thousands of families across San Diego and millions across the world.

"Nowruz" is the first day of Spring for the Persians:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1.7    7 months ago

I think the closest I ever got to Persia or Persians was a rug.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    7 months ago
There have been a few but there should always be more

I seen a fair number of these sites on Facebook, also on Instagram. Unfortunately, many of then aren't in English but rather in Persian (Farsi).

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.8    7 months ago
I think the closest I ever got to Persia or Persians was a rug.

Over the years I've met 2 people in the U.S. (on different occasions) who were immigrants from "Iran". But they both inssisted on being called "Persians" (not Iranians). 

They are very proud of their ancestry-- for some time Persia was a major empire in the ancient world.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.9    7 months ago
I seen a fair number of these sites on Facebook, also on Instagram. Unfortunately, many of then aren't in English but rather in Persian (Farsi).

Persian is a very different language family from Arabic. But what confuses many westerners is that while Persians ("Iranians") are not Arabs, and their language is not Arabic-- it is written in a type of Arabic script.

And while they are not Arabs, the predominant religion is Islam.