╌>

Moscow concert hall attack: Why is ISIL targeting Russia?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  one month ago  •  21 comments

By:   lKevin Doyle Al Jazeera

Moscow concert hall attack: Why is ISIL targeting Russia?
ISIL’s Afghan branch – also known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) – has claimed responsibility

Related: 

1. The Beslan schoolhouse massacre, 

The deadliest terror attack in modern Russia’s history led to the deaths of 334 hostages, more than half children.

2.  2010 Moscow Metro bombings

The  2010 Moscow Metro bombings  were  suicide bombings  carried out by two female Islamic terrorists during the morning  rush hour  of March 29, 2010, at two stations of the  Moscow Metro .  At least 40 people were killed, and over 100 injured.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Eleven people had been detained, including four people directly involved in the armed assault, Russia’s Interfax news agency reported on Saturday.

ISIL’s Afghan branch – also known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) – has claimed responsibility for the attack and United States officials have confirmed the authenticity of that claim, according to the Reuters news agency.

Here is what we know about the group and their possible motive for the Moscow attack.

More than 133 people have been killed and more than 100 others were injured following  a brazen attack  on concertgoers at Moscow’s Crocus City Hall before a performance by a Soviet-era rock band on Friday.

Assailants dressed in camouflage uniforms opened fire and reportedly threw explosive devices inside the concert venue, which was left in flames with its roof collapsing after the deadly attack.

ISIL’s Afghanistan branch

The group remains one of the most active affiliates of ISIL and takes its title from an ancient caliphate in the region that once encompassed areas of Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Turkmenistan.

The group emerged from eastern Afghanistan in late 2014 and was made up of breakaway fighters of the Pakistan Taliban and local fighters who pledged allegiance to the late ISIL leader,   Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi .

The group has since established a fearsome reputation for acts of brutality.

Murat Aslan, a military analyst and former Turkish army colonel, said ISIL’s Afghanistan affiliate is known for its “radical and tough methodologies”.

“I think their ideology inspires them in terms of selecting targets. First of all, Russia is in Syria and fighting against Daesh [ISIL] like the United States. That means they see such countries as hostile,” Aslan told Al Jazeera.

“They are now in Moscow. Previously they were in Iran, and we will see much more attacks, maybe in other capitals,” he added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

ISIL’s Afghan branch – also known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) – has claimed responsibility for the attack and United States officials have confirmed the authenticity of that claim, according to the Reuters news agency.

Here's what the abbreviations re: "The Islamic State" mean:

ISIS = "Islamic State in Syria"

ISIL = " Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant "

ISIS-K, ISKP, or "Islamic State in Khorasan Province" = Islamic State in Afghanistan

Daesh = Egyptians are very proud of their history, and in ancient times there was a major Egyptian diety called Isis-- some of course they didn't want that name to be confused with the modern islamist terror group ISIS. So they refer to it as Daesh!

These Islamist groups have a fairly large affiliate in Africa (I forget offhand what new label they now use, but the Nigerian Islamist terror group was  called "Boko Haram".

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1    one month ago
the Nigerian Islamist terror group was  called "Boko Haram".

Unimportant but interesting: "Haram" in Arabic means "forbidden". It applies to actions, objects-- even food. "Halal" is the opposite of "Haram". 

Food that is acceptable to devout Muslims is called "Halal" -- its meaning is roughly equivalent to to the Jewish/Hebrew concept of "Kosher".

fineline
Freshman Silent
1.2  fineline  replied to  Krishna @1    one month ago

Thanks, I was getting confused !

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

Meanwhile, back to the actual topic here;

ISIL’s Afghan branch – also known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) – has claimed responsibility for the attack and United States officials have confirmed the authenticity of that claim.

So why did this Middle eastern group launch an attsack in Russia of all places?

“I think their ideology inspires them in terms of selecting targets. First of all, Russia is in Syria and fighting against Daesh [ISIL] like the United States. That means they see such countries as hostile,” Aslan told Al Jazeera.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    one month ago

Then the USA is another potential target.  I hope the Americans are more prepared for the possibility than they were on 9/11.  I wonder what Rashida Tlaib has to say about THIS lovely bit from her Muslim brothers - if she can be supportive of Hamas terrorists she can be supportive of ISIS-K terrorists as well.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    one month ago
I hope the Americans are more prepared for the possibility than they were on 9/11

I hope so too.

But even if we are, it seems some terrorists still suceed:

The Boston Marathon bombing, sometimes referred to as just simply the Boston bombing,[4] was a domestic terrorist attack that took place during the annual Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. Brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planted two homemade pressure cooker bombs that detonated near the finish line of the race 14 seconds and 210 yards (190 m) apart. Three people were killed and hundreds injured, including 17 who lost limbs

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    one month ago
The  Boston Marathon bombing

And of course there was The Pulse Nightclub Attack:

On June 12, 2016, 29-year-old Omar Mateen shot and killed 49 people and wounded 53 more in a mass shooting at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, United States before Orlando Police officers fatally shot him after a three-hour standoff.

In a 9-1-1 call made shortly after the shooting began, Mateen swore allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

(I;m wondering what, if anything,  the "Queers for Palestine" have said about that?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    one month ago

Considering Tlaib hates America and it's policies I feel pretty certain she will not have a problem with it and neither will her voter base.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

ISIL’s Afghanistan branch

The group remains one of the most active affiliates of ISIL and takes its title from an ancient caliphate in the region that once encompassed areas of Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Turkmenistan.

The group emerged from eastern Afghanistan in late 2014 and was made up of breakaway fighters of the Pakistan Taliban and local fighters who pledged allegiance to the late ISIL leader,      Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi   .

The group has since established a fearsome reputation for acts of brutality.

Murat Aslan, a military analyst and former Turkish army colonel, said ISIL’s Afghanistan affiliate is known for its “radical and tough methodologies”.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    one month ago

Pootie is between a rock and a hard place, and they just reelected the asshole. The Russian people must be getting restless.

Putin must now realise he’s been fighting the wrong war (msn.com)

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5  arkpdx    one month ago

I can see by this attack just how well strict gum control works. 

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1  fineline  replied to  arkpdx @5    one month ago

What the hell does "gum" have to do with it !

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  fineline @5.1    one month ago
What the hell does "gum" have to do with it !

Not much-- after all it can be a pretty sticky topic!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  fineline @5.1    one month ago

That's all you got to come back with? It is obviously a typo. Do I really need to tell you I meant gun. But I guess when you got nothing you grasp whatever straw you can. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.2    one month ago

Do you have a problem taking a joke?  Some of us on this site actually enjoy having some fun here.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  fineline @5.1    one month ago

Gum control is when you fall asleep with a wad of gum in your mouth but you don't swallow it.

GregTx
PhD Guide
6  GregTx    one month ago

They claim to have been paid. Does that mean mercenary terrorists are a thing now?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  GregTx @6    one month ago
Does that mean mercenary terrorists are a thing now?

Terrorists do it for different reasons.

Some are motivated by extreme political or religious views. But there have always been those who do it for money.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.1    one month ago
Some are motivated by extreme political or religious views. But there have always been those who do it for money.

There used to be a magazine called Soldier of Fortune. Among other things-- it was actually used for recruiting mercenaries, sometimes terrorists, etc. (Although there were many people, probably the majority,  who read it just for the stories of "adventures".

I was wondering if it is still published, googled it and found this:

Is Soldier of Fortune magazine still available?
The magazine was founded in 1975. The publication evolved into a touchstone adventure magazine that focused on military, professional soldiers, guns, and gear. The print magazine ceased publication in 2016.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Krishna @6.1    one month ago
Terrorists do it for different reasons.

I don't care what their reasons are. A terrorist is a terrorist period. The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist. 

fineline
Freshman Silent
6.1.3  fineline  replied to  arkpdx @6.1.2    4 weeks ago

What is your definition of a terrorist ?