╌>

Netanyahu government under threat over military exemption for ultra-orthodox Jews

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  one month ago  •  13 comments

Netanyahu government under threat over military exemption for ultra-orthodox Jews

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

B enjamin Netanyahu is facing the gravest threat to his government since Oct 7 amid a cabinet rebellion over the exemption of ultra-orthodox Jews   from military service .

Ministers are due to meet on Monday evening to discuss the final draft of a Bill that continues to allow the so-called Haredim to avoid being called up   to the IDF.

Israel has permitted the Haredim to focus on their religious studies rather than do national service since the foundation of the state in 1948, but there is growing criticism of their protected status as tens of thousands of citizens are called up to fight the   war in Gaza .

On Sunday, Yoav Gallant, Israel’s defence minister, said he would not back a Bill that enshrines   the Haredim ’s right to avoid service. He urged hardline religious coalition members to be more “flexible” on the issue.

“I will not be party to any proposal that is not agreed upon by all coalition factions – under my leadership, the security system will not submit it for legislation,” he said before leaving for the US on his first foreign trip since the start of the conflict last year.

Benny Gantz, Israel’s most popular politician and a member of the war cabinet, also threatened to leave the government if the Bill is passed. He has long called for a new conscription law that would see all members of Israeli society, including Haredim and Arab citizens, compelled to serve in either military or civic fields.

Mr Netanyahu’s coalition government has a slim majority and could collapse if enough members quit over the Bill.

The increasingly influential Haredi community staunchly opposes conscription, insisting that military service endangers their way of life built on studying the Torah.

In a last-minute attempt to save the Bill on Monday, Mr Netanyahu, who relies on Haredi parties to shore up his government, agreed to remove a clause raising the exemption age from 26 to 35, Israeli media reported.

This would have made it more bureaucratically complicated for Haredim to avoid service as they are required to get one-year deferrals it every year until they age out at 26.

The move came after Israel’s attorney general warned at the weekend that the current exemptions framework has been repeatedly ruled illegal by Israeli courts.

A new proposal that would also be likely to set enlistment goals for Haredim is to be offered to the cabinet later on Tuesday, according to the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

Despite pressure from liberal members of his cabinet, Mr Netanyahu’s Bill does not include draft quotas for ultra-orthodox men or criminal liability for draft dodgers. If approved by the cabinet, it is likely to take a couple of more months before the Knesset considers it and possibly votes it into law.

On Monday, Israeli politicians from across the political spectrum, barring the ultra-orthodox, blasted Mr Netanyahu’s exemption U-turn as a “moral disgrace” and “draft-dodging” amidst the country’s   most devastating war   in a generation.

A group bringing together special ops veterans issued a statement on Sunday, warning that if the “scandalous draft-dodgers’ Bill” is passed, it “will be a final breach of contract between the state and us”.

Brothers in Arms, a protest group composed of IDF reservists, condemned the Bill as undermining Israel as a secular state.

“If the government passes the law, every Zionist Israeli who worries for the future of the homeland, must take to the streets,” the group said in a statement, accusing the prime minister of trading secular values for his political survival.

A member of parliament from what is now Israel’s most popular political party condemned Mr Netanyahu’s Bill as a slap in the face for Israeli soldiers risking their lives in Gaza.

Matan Kahana, of the National Unity Party, told the Kan radio station on Monday: “How is it even possible to put forward a bill that is so divorced from reality and to keep sending soldiers into battle?” He called the proposal a “moral disgrace”.

Prominent Haredim leaders have rebelled against the idea of enlisting members of their community, with one prominent rabbi suggesting ultra-orthodox men would rather flee Israel than join the army.

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE REMOVED WITHOUT WARNING

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     one month ago

IMO, they should not be exempt from military service. These are the same people that are threatening and in some cases killing Palestinians and Beoudins with the illegal settlements in the West Bank. If they want to fight there is a war right in front of them but it seems the bad guys there shoot back.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    one month ago

they only get violent when their illegal settlement on stolen land is threatened...

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.1  shona1  replied to  devangelical @1.1    one month ago

Morning... actually alot of Israelis dislike/hate them...

When I was there they use to chase the tourist van I was in throw rocks and hurl abuse.. under no circumstances would the driver stop and if you hit one, keep going as they would attack you..then report it to the police etc..

Had a run in with one at the airport they are very good queue jumpers and think the are entitled..but he was spotted by one of the officials and he and his tribe of kids was sent down to the very back of the queue..the official then apologised to me for what happened...

The main concern is they get the majority in the Knesset as they are basically the equivalent of Sharia law..not nice people...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1.1    one month ago

When my ex-wife and I toured Israel almost a quarter century ago our group walked through Mea Sh'arim, the ultra-orthodox district in Jerusalem, and even though my wife was wearing slacks with her arms completely covered, as were the other women in the group,  they got screamed cat-calls of "shame" from the women in the windows of the street, and a man who saw us coming crossed the street and shielded his eyes from us.  I've also seen stories about those people spitting on robed Christian priests.  I even have personal reasons to despise them, and since they don't have bone spurs to prevent them from being drafted I hope they all get sent to Gaza and north Israel in battle gear.  

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.3  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    one month ago

Yep want all the benefits but don't ask them to do the hard yards..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    one month ago
Prominent Haredim leaders have rebelled against the idea of enlisting members of their community, with one prominent rabbi suggesting ultra-orthodox men would rather flee Israel than join the army.

That may say it all. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    one month ago
That may say it all. 

When I read that I was shocked and you're right it just might say it all.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.1    one month ago

They are Israelis, are they not? They ought to care about their state that so many of their fellow countrymen have fought and died for

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1.2  shona1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    one month ago

Morning..they are but extremely disliked by the ordinary Israelis..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2    one month ago

It makes them sound like cowards

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    one month ago
It makes them sound like cowards

Yes, it does and to that point, it also puts into question their loyalty to their own country, Israel. In the meantime, Palestinians, Bedouins, Druze, and Carcausions are fighting and dying for Israel and of course the Israli's themselves.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    one month ago

Someone should remind them that women are doing the fighting for them. That should emasculate them somewhat since they oppress women in their community

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2    one month ago

Personally, I hope they flee.  I sure as hell have no love for them or any other religious extremists.