╌>

Once again, Florida first in the nation.

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  one month ago  •  29 comments

Once again, Florida first in the nation.
“We are putting an end to the squatters scam in Florida,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “While other states are siding with the squatters, we are protecting property owners and punishing criminals looking to game the system.”

Yesterday Governor Ron DeSantis signed HB 621, which protects property rights, provides homeowners remedies against squatting, and increases penalties on squatters. You may ask why such a law necessary? It is because progressives passed Pro-tenant laws which now protect squatters. If a squatter just lies about having a lease, the police won’t intervene. It is a civil matter left for the courts. In the meantime, homeowners are left without immediate recourse. In the state of New York homeowners can't even shut off utilities to try to force the squatters out and after a period of time the squatters are regarded as tenants. That is what the left has brought the country.

But not in the great state of Florida. There the nation's best Governor and the future of the GOP has restored property rights for homeowners.

• Under HB 621, a property owner can request law enforcement to immediately remove a squatter from their property if the following conditions are met:

• The individual has unlawfully entered and remains on the property;
  • The individual has been directed to leave the property by the owner but has not done so; and
  • The individual is not a current or former tenant in a legal dispute.

• In Florida, it will be quick and simple to reclaim your home from squatters, avoiding costly delays, litigation, and missed rents.

• HB 621 also creates harsh penalties for those engaged in squatting and for those who encourage squatting and teach others the scam. The bill makes it:
  • A first-degree misdemeanor for making a false statement in writing to obtain real property or for knowingly and willfully presenting a falsified document conveying property rights;
  • A second-degree felony for any person who unlawfully occupies or trespasses in a residential dwelling and who intentionally causes $1,000 or more in damages; and

A first-degree felony for knowingly advertising the sale or rent of a residential property without legal authority or ownership.

Governor DeSantis Signs Legislation to End the Squatters Scam in Florida (flgov.com)

Yesterday also saw the end of the long running dispute between Gov DeSantis and the woke management of Disneyworld.  A settlement agreement was reached in a state court fight over how Walt Disney World is developed in the future following the takeover of the theme park resort's government by the Florida governor. The agreement indicates that Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future.

Meanwhile the gov of bankrupt California was able to enact a state law forbidding the sale of reliable gas operated cars by 2035.

In other news:

Divers recovered the bodies of two workers from the "Key Bridge" wreckage; four others remain missing.

Shares of Donald Trump’s media company continues to surge. His stock is worth billions.

A Democrat who campaigned on abortion and I.V.F. access flipped an Alabama state house seat in a special election. The win highlighted the power of the left leaning media's influence over the way narratives are framed.

The RNC chairman in Michigan has lost control of data and it may affect the election there.

The HHS vetting process has been compared to a screen door on a submarine.

Baseball officially begins today.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    one month ago

Good morning

28themorning-nl-lieberman-jumbo.jpg
Senator Joe Lieberman in 2010. ( Drew Angerer for The New York Times)

Biden will be resting most of the day. The always busy Donald Trump will be at the funeral of a NYC cop who was murdered by a thug who was repeatedly released and had a massive criminal record.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  author  Vic Eldred    one month ago

Just in:

Catherine Herridge now reportedly in talks with x.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3  Snuffy    one month ago
A Democrat who campaigned on abortion and I.V.F. access flipped an Alabama state house seat in a special election. The win highlighted the power of the left leaning media's influence over the way narratives are framed.

It also highlights the inability of Republicans to properly manage this issue. While I don't like abortion and will never have on myself (being an old male does kind of limit the need for me to ever have the need for one helps here), I also am conservative in nature and desire of small government. IMO small government should not be in the middle of this issue, but rather leave it as a matter between a woman and her doctor.

As polling shows that approximately 70% of the voting public does want some sort of legal abortion available, I believe that it would be in the best interest of Republicans to stop pandering to the small extremists who which to end all abortions and come back to a more centrist approach and put forth a compromise on the matter. IMO while I don't think abortion will be one of the main issues of the presidential campaign, it will be more of an issue for the down-ballot votes.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @3    one month ago
I believe that it would be in the best interest of Republicans to stop pandering to the small extremists who which to end all abortions and come back to a more centrist approach and put forth a compromise on the matter.

I agree.

As long as the Republicans lost the messaging on it, the GOP should drop all stands on abortion. Trump has already floated that idea.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  author  Vic Eldred    one month ago

Tunnel to Towers is honored to announce a mortgage payoff for the family of NYPD Officer Jonathan Diller, who was fatally shot and killed during a routine traffic stop on March 25th. Officer Diller is survived by his loving wife, Stephanie, and their one-year-old son.

GJwPZ15WEAEua7O?format=jpg&name=360x360

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    one month ago

And David Portnoy has raised for the family around $240,000 and will match that out of his own pocket.

Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy has raised "about $240,000" for the family of fallen New York Police Department officer Jonathan Diller and vowed to match additional contributions.   Dave Portnoy raises 'about $240,000' for family of fallen NYPD officer Jonathan Diller | Fox News

No amount of money can cure the problem or make the family whole again, but this can sure help with the immediate needs while grief is overwhelming.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    one month ago

Thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you, Dave.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    one month ago

Barstool raised $750,000 and Portnoy is matching.  That’s really well done. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    one month ago

Was talking to a friend and we somehow ended up on the subject of squatters.  He brought up a good point.  In every state, if somebody breaks into your home, you can legally shoot them.  Why has this not been done?  And if it has, why was the homeowner the one charged? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    one month ago
Why has this not been done?

I think there are two reasons. One is not all people have guns and many that do are very reluctant to pull the trigger.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    one month ago

I don’t think that’s true in a lot of states anymore. You have to show a threat to life, not property in states like New York.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  author  Vic Eldred    one month ago

GJwmdZlXEAEOqGQ?format=jpg&name=small

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    one month ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif  And the idiots keep telling us he's mentally competent to be POTUS.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1    one month ago

Did you hear that Karine Jean-Pierre hung up on a talk show host who asked her if Biden was suffering from dementia?

‘Incredibly Offensive’: Karine Jean-Pierre Hangs Up in Middle of Interview After Host Asks If Biden Has Dementia (msn.com)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.1    one month ago

That dumb ass flips her wig every time she's asked about the lack of mental competency of the POTUS.  It's kind of fun to watch.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.2    one month ago

She isn't far behind him.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.1    one month ago

Yes the local station WBT News Talk am 1110 fm 99.3 that I listen to all day. Mark Garrison is the news guy's name.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.4    one month ago

He must be like our Howie Carr.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    one month ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    one month ago

But there's no fraud happening in the US.  /S

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1    one month ago

The next 7 months should be interesting. The so-called saviors of democracy have an army of lawyers trying to keep third party candidates off the ballot and Barack Obama is actively involved in the Biden campaign. Joe is taking a nap.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.1    one month ago
The so-called saviors of democracy have an army of lawyers trying to keep third party candidates off the ballot

I'm curious as to what pathetic excuses they will attempt to use to remove them from the ballot.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.2    one month ago

The most likely will be to see if such a candidate got enough votes on their intent to run. For example: As noted in the article below: In New Hampshire, independent candidates need to submit a Declaration of Intent during the filing period in June before submitting at least 3,000 signatures to the New Hampshire Secretary of State's office. Other states require the naming of a VP first, such as Nevada. That qualification has recently been satisfied.

To your question:

t's unclear if signatures collected in other states that require named running mates for independent presidential candidates to gain ballot access will also be impacted.

The super PAC supporting Kennedy, American Values 2024, has helped collect signatures for ballot access and said in December that it planned to spend $10 million to $15 million on the effort. But in February, the  Democratic National Committee  filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission against Kennedy's  independent presidential campaign  and the super PAC supporting him, American Values 2024, alleging the two were illegally colluding on ballot access for Kennedy. 

RFK Jr.'s ballot signatures could be invalid in Nevada without VP (msn.com)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.3    one month ago

I think the finance laws is a bit of a stretch.  It appears to be vague at best.

As far as RFK's VP, Democrats aren't happy about his selection. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.4    one month ago

They are right to be frightened. I read somewhere that Kennedy's VP selection was a donor for a lot of the Soros DAs as well as a lot of green energy candidates. She is young and she resonates with a lot of young progressive voters, plus she has the money for a real campaign.

BTW, good news out of PA:

Third Circuit Court rules Pennsylvania must only count mail ballots with dates, signatures:

Pennsylvania can discard undated mail-in ballots, US appeals court rules (msn.com)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.5    one month ago
Third Circuit Court rules Pennsylvania must only count mail ballots with dates, signatures:

I was just about to put this up.  Some people aren't going to like this.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.7  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.5    one month ago
They are right to be frightened.

hmmm... according to a new Economist/YouGov poll 53 percent of Republicans favored Kennedy vs only 25 percent of Democrats. Perhaps he resonates more with right wing populists for his stance on vaccines, Ukraine and government more than the liberals? 

We'll see. I expect him to syphon some votes from both parties, but how much that really effects the election remains to be seen.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
7.1.8  goose is back  replied to  evilone @7.1.7    one month ago

Provide the link to the poll.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @7.1.7    one month ago
hmmm... according to a new Economist/YouGov poll 53 percent of Republicans favored Kennedy vs only 25 percent of Democrats. Perhaps he resonates more with right wing populists for his stance on vaccines, Ukraine and government more than the liberals? 

Hmmm...How do young voters feel about his uber liberal VP?