╌>

Iranian women violently dragged from streets by police amid hijab crackdown

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  one week ago  •  11 comments

By:   Deepa Parent

Iranian women violently dragged from streets by police amid hijab crackdown
Video evidence shows multiple arrests after regime launched new draconian campaign against women and girls

Photo: Iran - Draft hijab law tantamount to ‘gender apartheid’ say rights experts

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Harrowing first-hand accounts of women being dragged from the streets of   Iran   and detained by security services have emerged as human rights groups say country’s hijab rules have been brutally enforced since the country’s drone strikes on Israel on 13 April.

A new campaign, called   Noor   (“light” in Persian), was announced the same day the   Iranian regime launched drone attacks against Israel , to crack down on “violations” of the country’s draconian hijab rules, which dictate that all women must cover their heads in public.

Hours later, videos verified by human rights groups showing women and girls being forcefully arrested by agents of the notorious Gasht-e-Irshad (“morality police”) flooded social media along with stories of beatings and assault.

One mother and daughter walking through a busy Tehran square were surrounded by   five chador-clad female agents and two male agents, who hurled insults and accusations before they grabbed the women. When they resisted arrest, they were violently dragged into the van, a source close to the family said.

Dina Ghalibaf, a student at Tehran’s Shahid Beheshti University and was among the first to tweet about a confrontation. On her now suspended X (formerly Twitter) account, she said: “Yesterday in the police room of Sadeghiyeh metro station, I insisted that I had the right to use the metro as a citizen and a taxpayer. But then, they violently dragged me into a room and Tasered me. They handcuffed me and one of the officers sexually assaulted me.”

A day after her post, she was reportedly arrested and transferred to the notorious Evin prison. The state judiciary’s Mizan news agency announced that Ghalibaf will face legal action and refuted her allegations of sexual assault.

However, jailed Nobel peace prize laureate   Narges Mohammadi   sent a voice message – published by relatives on Instagram – about Ghalibaf’s visible bruises. In the post, she urged Iranian women to share their stories of arrest and sexual assault at the hands of the security forces.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    one week ago

The Guardian spoke to the families of two women who were arrested last week and three women who were arrested by the Gasht-e-Irshad. One young woman from Tehran said: “Around eight agents surrounded me on Saturday and started screaming at me. They hurl insults like ‘whore’, ‘naked America-loving slut’ – all while kicking me in the legs, stomach and everywhere. They don’t care where they hit you.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    one week ago

And I actually felt that Texas was trying to return to the Middle Ages.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    one week ago

Another woman said: “Both women and men touch our bodies during arrests. They say they’re religious and loyal Muslims, but don’t care if the male agents touch our bodies, which is supposedly forbidden for them to do.

There were around six evil women agents and three of them attacked me. Two of them held my hands [behind] my back and one of them tried to throw me into the white van. Two male agents then violently grabbed my arms and pushed me into the van. While in the van, they were verbally abusing us and took five or six of us – arrested for hijab – to the detention centre in Gisha.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    one week ago

They're lucky to have been taken in a van instead of what we would have expected - to have them dragged through the streets like Hamas does. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    one week ago

The Guardian has seen pictures of at least two women who showed signs of violent attacks, which they say occurred during their detention last week. Since nationwide protests gripped Iran after the death in custody of the 22-year-old Kurdish woman Jina  Mahsa Amini , independent human rights organisations and the  UN fact-finding mission  on Iran have investigated cases of  rape and sexual assault  of protesters, concluding that the Iranian regime  committed crimes against humanity .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    one week ago

Could the difference between the targets of all the present protesters on American university campuses being Israel instead of Iran be because of antisemitism?

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    one week ago

All those HAMAS supporters should think about this, that is what they are supporting

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @4    one week ago

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    one week ago

These anti-Israel rioters are useless idiots.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    one week ago
These anti-Israel rioters are useless idiots.

And what about the "Queers for Palestine"?

I wonder how many of them know what would happen if the entered Gaza and Hamas discovered that they were gay...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1    one week ago

Showing how deranged the gays who denigrate Israel and support Hamas are, I believe Tel Aviv hosts the biggest most successful gay parade in the world.