╌>

The NFL draft is the biggest, most inexplicable sports event in America.

Category:  Sports

By:  john-russell  •  one week ago  •  7 comments

The NFL draft is the biggest, most inexplicable sports event in America.
They have a "red carpet" at the draft location, where the dozen or so biggest prospects will go through a gauntlet of reporters while wearing their finest fashion creations.

5000 people are gathering in Soldier Field in Chicago tonight, to watch , on Jumbotron screens, the team select QB Caleb Williams with the first pick in the NFL draft. 

And they are paying to get in. 

In Detroit, the expectation is that hundreds of thousands of NFL fans from around the country descended on that town to be present , so to speak, when the various draft choices are announced.

What the hell is going on here?

This event, now more hyped by the media than some of the actual football games , has become the biggest sports event of every spring. A sports event completely without a game, or competition. 

They have a "red carpet" at the draft location, where the dozen or so biggest prospects will go through a gauntlet of reporters while wearing their finest fashion creations. Top pick Caleb Williams is wearing a navy blue suit with some white embroidery on the left breast area that was specially designed for the occasion. He might as well be a movie star. 

All this shows the total dominance of the NFL in the hearts and minds of America's sports fans. 

And even more so now that betting on NFL games is not only legal, it is encouraged by the television networks. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    one week ago

Reports are that 150,000 fans were gathering at the draft site hours before the event was scheduled to begin. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2  GregTx    one week ago

It's not inexplicable, we want football year round.... perhaps someday 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3  Gazoo    one week ago

The nfl draft has come a long way from the days of being a slave auction.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    one week ago

bfd. I'm proud to say that I probably spent less than 15 minutes watching the NFL last season.

GregTx
PhD Guide
5  GregTx    one week ago

Is no team going to pull the trigger on a Hall of Fame member's son? Crazy...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    one week ago

Long as the Raiders are trash and I can shit talk my boss...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    one week ago

Not for me, but for those that enjoy this go for it