╌>

Houthis offer education to students suspended in US protest crackdown

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 weeks ago  •  32 comments

Houthis offer education to students suspended in US protest crackdown

Photo: People stand atop a pile of barricades as they lead a chant at an encampment by students protesting against the Israel-Hamas war at George Washington University in Washington. (File/AP)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

DUBAI, May 3 (Reuters) - Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi militia, which has disrupted global shipping to display its support for Palestinians in the Gaza conflict, is now offering a place for students suspended from U.S. universities after staging anti-Israeli protests. Students have rallied or set up tents at dozens of campuses in the United States in recent days to protest against Israel's war in Gaza, now in its seventh month.

"We are serious about welcoming students that have been suspended from U.S. universities for supporting Palestinians," an official at Sanaa University, which is run by the Houthis, told Reuters. "We are fighting this battle with Palestine in every way we can."

Sanaa University had issued a statement applauding the "humanitarian" position of the students in the United States and said they could continue their studies in Yemen.

"The board of the university condemns what academics and students of U.S. and European universities are being subjected to, suppression of freedom of expression," the board of the university said in a statement, which included an email address for any students wanting to take up their offer.

The Houthi's offer of an education for U.S. students sparked a wave of sarcasm by ordinary Yemenis on social media. One social media user posted a photograph of two Westerners chewing Yemen's widely-used narcotic leaf Qat. He described the scene as American students during their fifth year at Sanaa University.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi militia, which has disrupted global shipping to display its support for Palestinians in the Gaza conflict, is now offering a place for students suspended from U.S. universities after staging anti-Israeli protests.

We are serious about welcoming students that have been suspended from U.S. universities for supporting Palestinians," an official at Sanaa University, which is run by the Houthis, told Reuters. "We are fighting this battle with Palestine in every way we can."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago

It's a golden opportunity for the protesters.  Having only had experience supporting and cheering on terrorists, this will give them the opportunity to learn how to BE terrorists as well. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago
Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi militia, which has disrupted global shipping to display its support for Palestinians in the Gaza conflict, is now offering a place for students suspended from U.S. universities after staging anti-Israeli protests. We are serious about welcoming students that have been suspended from U.S. universities for supporting Palestinians," an official at Sanaa University, which is run by the Houthis, told Reuters. "We are fighting this battle with Palestine in every way we can."

When I seeded this I wasn't sure whether I should put it in "News & Politics"-- or "Humor/The Lighter Side"....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.2    2 weeks ago

Actually you had lots of choices:

Now Trending

Mental Health and Wellness

The Zoo

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Now Trending

Mental Health and Wellness

The Zoo

Reminds me of an old saying:

There's no choice amongst rotten apples

(Bob and Ray-- old tyme comedians)

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    one week ago

There's no choice amongst rotten apples

(Bob and Ray-- old tyme comedians)

From Wikipedia:

Bob and Ray  were an American comedy duo whose career spanned five decades, composed of comedians  Bob Elliott  (1923–2016 [1] ) and  Ray Goulding  (1922–1990).

The duo's format was typically to satirize the medium in which they were performing, such as conducting  radio  or  television  interviews, with off-the-wall dialogue presented in a generally  deadpan  style as though it were a serious broadcast.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.2.3    one week ago
Bob and Ray  were an American comedy duo whose career spanned five decades, composed of comedians  Bob Elliott  (1923–2016 [1] ) and  Ray Goulding  (1922–1990).

They also did the Piel's Beer commercials which were well known at the time:

During the late 1950s, Bob and Ray were also on radio and television as the voices of Bert and Harry Piel, two  animated  characters from a very successful ad campaign for  Piels Beer.

Some of their commercials:

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

The Houthi's offer of an education for U.S. students sparked a wave of sarcasm by ordinary Yemenis on social media. One social media user posted a photograph of two Westerners chewing Yemen's widely-used narcotic leaf Qat. He described the scene as American students during their fifth year at Sanaa University.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago
. One social media user posted a photograph of two Westerners chewing Yemen's widely-used narcotic leaf Qat. He described the scene as American students during their fifth year at Sanaa University.

From the River to the Sea

Smoking narcotic leaves will be free!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago

Do they offer free conversion to Islam as well?  It is not suggested that LGBTQ should apply, but Jewish traitors are welcome. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    2 weeks ago
Do they offer free conversion to Islam as well? 

I would imagine they would,

Many years ago Ihad a friend on another social media site (this was long before Newsvine...it might have been early AOL it was so long ago I don't remember). Anyway, she had gone to Yemen as a tourist. She said it was very "backwards"-- lot of poverty and it was very primitive-- like going back centuries. She had to be completely covered when she went out.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.1    2 weeks ago
Many years ago Ihad a friend on another social media site (this was long before Newsvine...it might have been early AOL it was so long ago I don't remember). Anyway, she had gone to Yemen as a tourist. She said it was very "backwards"-- lot of poverty and it was very primitive-- like going back centuries. She had to be completely covered when she went out.

Not long ago there was a horrendous war between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis-- huge numbers of civilian deaths, etc. I don't know much of the details, but it was similar to the destruction and casualties of the current Gaza situation:

The intervention has received  widespread international criticism  for killing thousands of noncombatants, destroying civilian infrastructure, and intensifying  Yemen's humanitarian crisis .

Academics also dispute whether it violates  Article 2(4)  of the  UN Charter.

]  By 2019, the conflict was reported as a "military stalemate", [77]  and the following year, Saudi Arabia declared its first unilateral ceasefire. [  On 29 March 2022, the Saudi-led coalition announced that it would cease all hostilities within Yemen to facilitate political talks and peacekeeping efforts; [

Houthi and Saudi officials subsequently began bilateral peace talks mediated by Oman  under UN auspices, and most restrictions on commercial goods were lifted by April 2023. [81]  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.2    2 weeks ago
The intervention has received  widespread international criticism  for killing thousands of noncombatants, destroying civilian infrastructure, and intensifying  Yemen's humanitarian crisis . Academics also dispute whether it violates  Article 2(4)  of the  UN Charter.

But here's the positive side of the story: Yemen has a fascinating Island called Socotra:

SOCOTRA – UNVEILING A SECRET PARADISE ON EARTH

"Dragon Blood Tree"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    2 weeks ago

Looks interesting, and although I believe in adventure, I've been lucky to get more than my fill of it in China.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    2 weeks ago
"Dragon Blood Tree"

Socotra has some very unusual flora and fauna-- in factthey have some unusual plants and animals as well! Another example: the "Bottle Trees":

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.4    one week ago
Looks interesting, and although I believe in adventure, I've been lucky to get more than my fill of it in China.  

I've never been to China but I've seen many pictures (some excellent ones posted by you here on NT, but also posted elsewhere on line).

There is some amazing scenery in China!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    one week ago
"Dragon Blood Tree"

I just googled it-- they are selling Dragon Blood Tree seeds on Amazon!

About this item

• Dracaena draco is known as dragon tree because it was once believed that the red resin exuded by from the trunk and leaves was actually dragon's blood (see link below for folklore). The term is still used to refer to this sap, which has a variety of use/
  • Dragon tree is an ancient plant native to the Canary Islands where locals used the tree's resin for mumification and hair dye. It has modern applications as a pigment in the varnish and paper industries. The resin of this species is aromatic and is said to be much higher quality than that of other relatyed species of trees used for so-called dragon's blood. The aromatic resin is used to make the well-known dragon's blood incense. The sap also has several medicinal ap plications including that it is used to heal wounds.
  • Growing Information: The seeds should be

(Cont'd on Amazon site)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.7    one week ago
they are selling Dragon Blood Tree seeds on Amazon!

I have actually heard of "Dragon Blood" previously!

People who practice "magic" use a lot of different types of incenses and potions. One I had read about was a liquid called "Dragon Blood". "Dragon Blood" is used for specific types of spells and/or "protection rituals".

I had studied Witchcraft, but it had been very long ago so I forget most of what I learned. Anyone know what its used for?

Where is Veronica? Anyone notice how you can never find a witch when you need one?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.8    one week ago

People who practice "magic" use a lot of different types of incenses and potions

What is the famous quote that the witches say when they are making their stew?  (in McBeth)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.7    one week ago
I just googled it-- they are selling Dragon Blood Tree seeds on Amazon!

And if you are impatient & don't want to wait for your Dragon's Blood Tree to mature-- Amazon has bottles of Dragon's Blood for sale:

Dragon's Blood Extract - 30ml Amazonian - Ecuador Natural Herbal Product.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    one week ago

More information about this fascinating place:

Welcome to Socotra

A Journey to the End of the World

The Socotra Archipelago in Yemen has long been a land of mystery.

Over the centuries travellers returned from the Indian Ocean isles with bizarre tales – of trees yielding dragon’s blood and cucumbers, forest of frankincense, and towering pinnacles in the mist.

Now a fuller picture has emerged of the four semi-desert islands, portraying a rich and unique flora and fauna with over a third of plants found nowhere else in the world, a diverse landscape of plateau, plain and mountain, all safeguarded by a people living sustainably in a challenging environment”.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.9    one week ago
"What is the famous quote that the witches say when they are making their stew?  (in McBeth)"

Double double toil and trouble/Fire burn and cauldron bubble‘ 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.10    one week ago
"Amazon has bottles of Dragon's Blood for sale:"

For vampires who are allergic to human blood.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.11    one week ago
"More information about this fascinating place:

Welcome to Socotra

A Journey to the End of the World"

Not a place to go if your intention is to see a Broadway Show. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this discussion-- maybe we should s=tart arguing about Biden vs Trump . . .?  

Or that delightful politician-- Noem something I ferget her name -- you know, the one that loves murdering cute little puppies puppies in gravel pits.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    2 weeks ago

Marjorie Taylor Green is another famous American politician - boy, they sure have a very entertaining variety of them them there. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    2 weeks ago

Get thrown out of a supposedly elite college and end up with a degree from Sanaa University, that will really impress employers 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @4    one week ago
Get thrown out of a supposedly elite college and end up with a degree from Sanaa University, that will really impress employers 

LOL!

Quite true . . 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @4    one week ago

Maybe they'll get an M.S. degree (Marrying Siblings).

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 weeks ago
Houthis Offer Education To Students Suspended In US Protest Crackdown

It won't end well for the terrorist supporters.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    one week ago

A lesson too late for the learning.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    one week ago

I say let em go for it and soon as the plane is airborne and outside US airspace, revoke US  citizenship of each and every protesting scumbag so they cannot get back into the country.