╌>

Taking Aim

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  3 months ago  •  42 comments

Taking Aim
“Ending the war without clearing out Rafah is like sending a firefighter to extinguish 80 percent of the fire,” Benny Gantz, a member of Israel’s war cabinet and Netanyahu’s chief political opponent, has told U.S. officials.

The IDF operations in eastern Rafah
are underway. Those operations involve the elimination of the last 4 battalions of Hamas, the release of hostages and an effort to keep the path for aid to the Palestinian people open. As to the latter, the Kerem Shalom Crossing was reopened by IDF forces. It is the entry point for humanitarian aid into Gaza after it was closed via Hamas’ attacks.

These Israeli ground operations follow a series of airstrikes on Rafah which have destroyed several buildings in the past 24 hours. Satellite images confirm that operations are underway. In the meantime, Joe Biden is now withholding aid to Israel, and he has made it clear that he would prefer that Israel end major military operations and release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. In exchange, Biden believes that Hamas would return all hostages, "in phases."  Biden has made a risky political calculation, and he is willing to sacrifice Israel to appease his radical wing in order to win reelection.

For Israel it is not only a matter of life and death but a basic matter of military strategy. Imagine allowing a cornered enemy to escape? (Robert E Lee would be rolling over in his grave.)

It will be a very interesting summer to say the least.

In other news: 

More than 200 cases against illegal migrants involved in the March 21st riot have been dismissed. County Court of Law Judge Ruben Morales dismissed the 211 cases following a hearing Wednesday, May 8, in which Public Defender Kelli Childress asserted the misdemeanors had improperly wound their way to Morales' court.

A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected Hunter Biden’s request to dismiss his gun charges in Delaware. His trial on minor gun charges will now take place on June 3rd and will probably go uncovered by the leftwing media.

F unds earmarked to recruit and retain staff for critical shortage positions within Veterans Affairs were inappropriately used to pay more than 180 senior executives bonuses worth almost $11 million last year, a new  report  revealed.

The conflicted Judge Juan M. Merchan ended a long day of testimony on Thursday by issuing an angry ruling from the bench denying a second request for a mistrial in former President Donald J. Trump’s bogus "criminal case" in Manhattan.

A Republican member of Congress introduced a resolution Tuesday to censure “Squad” member Rep. Ilhan Omar over comments she made last month concerning "pro-genocide Jews."

Joe Biden told another whopper Wednesday when he said that inflation was at 9% when he entered the White House in January 2021, when, in fact, the consumer price index (CPI) was at a mere 1.4% at the time.

In a very revealing interview, I ndependent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. says that women should be able to decide to get an abortion at any time during pregnancy.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    3 months ago

Good morning

GNOFM_XXYAAdT-b?format=jpg&name=small
New Orleans breakfast

Former White House aide Madeleine Westerhout is due back on the witness stand Friday in former President  Donald Trump 's criminal hush money trial after describing her role in helping Trump sign his checks and  praising the boss who fired her .

Westerhout broke down crying as she described  being forced out of the White House  for off-the-record comments she made about Trump's children to reporters. She said she doesn't think Trump is "treated fairly," while also confirming details for prosecutors about how Trump signed checks and paid attention to his financial affairs.

Trump trial live updates: Ex-White House aide who cried back on stand (usatoday.com)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

The daily trump dump

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    3 months ago

Hamas must be wiped off the face of the earth.

Only chance the Palestinians have ….

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 months ago

I think any rational human being would agree.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 months ago

Now is the time

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 months ago

While I agree that Hamas needs to be wiped out- if that is even possible. Ideologies cannot be destroyed, especially when the conditions that brought them about still exist. See Al Qaeda, Taliban, and all of their offshoots as an example.

Palestinians stand no chance so long as Israel, Hezbollah (Iran's proxy), and the PA (Israel/US proxy) are allowed to have any say in Palestinian lives.  

So long as Israel has control of Palestinian borders, air space, and Israeli settlements exist in the West Bank- the Palestinians will never have their own country; and the dance that allows Hezbollah, Hamas (whether operating another name), and PA to exist will continue. 

It is only a question of how long it will take Israel to force the remaining Palestinians out; and the amount of time it the majority will join Hezbollah or another Iranian backed faction. So the dance can continue in Lebanon, Syria, and maybe Jordan and Egypt as well.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @2.3    3 months ago

Yep, extremism is tough to snuff out.     I mean, look at the kooks we have in this country.    In our own government no less ….

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.3    3 months ago
While I agree that Hamas needs to be wiped out- if that is even possible. Ideologies cannot be destroyed, especially when the conditions that brought them about still exist.

So should we not have fought against Nazi Germany during WWII? (It was at great cost to the U.S.

Our military sustained many casualties-- but as you stated-- ideologies can't be destroyed and in fact Naziism & Nazi ideologies still exist! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.3  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.3    3 months ago
the Palestinians will never have their own country;

WTF? There are already two entities that have Palestinian majorities: Jordan and Gaza!

Israel used to occupy Gaza-- but they left voluntarily-- and for years there wasn't a Jew in the entire place. The Gazans had total self rule in Gaza. 

After this current war is over, Israel doesn't want to stay there!

P.S; When Israel left they wanted to turn it back to the previous occupiers (Egypt)-- but like Israel, Egypt didn't want it either!!!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    3 months ago

gv050924dAPR-800x0.jpg

"Biden has made a risky political calculation, and he is willing to sacrifice Israel to appease his radical wing in order to win reelection."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago

I have this feeling that he is going to pay for that.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ronin2  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago

I keep hearing people say "Israel doesn't need our aid; and they don't ask for it"

Then why are we giving it to them?

I have no problem with selling them all of the US weapons they want; but in no way, shape, or form should the US taxpayers be on the hook for any of it.

I already know the answer is the AIPAC; and the money that flows from them to politicians (mostly Democrats). Israel doesn't talk to the US directly- they use their very powerful and will financed PAC proxy instead. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2    3 months ago

The US has an institutional guilt over what we allowed to happen to the Jewish people in WW-2.     Lesser so with time but it’s still there and likely always will be.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    3 months ago

Ancient history, we need to get out of funding any country in the world's most dysfunctional sand box. It will always come back to bite us in the ass in the end.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago
he is willing to sacrifice Israel

How is he "sacrificing" Israel?

By not sending one shipment of weapons? (And, in fact, it might be sent anyway-- just delayed?)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

Ignoring a  law to disburse foreign  funds for domestic political reasons.

Wasn't somebody impeached for that? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 months ago

Joe has his pen & phone.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    3 months ago

Rich Lowrey sums up Biden well:

You can count on Joe Biden when the chips are up, but certainly not when they are down.

You want to be in a foxhole with Biden only if you are certain that the members of “the Squad,” the left-wing faction in the House, approve of his being there.

Joe Biden has your back — from a comfortable distance, just in case political circumstances change.

The president is a weather vane for the Left. That doesn’t mean that Biden himself is a committed progressive or in the ideological vanguard. He’s not. A weather vane doesn’t affect how fast the wind is blowing or in what direction; it just shifts in reaction to larger forces.

The only  principle Biden has demonstrated in 50 years of gorging on taxpayer dollars is that he has no principles that he won't discard in a heartbeat if he thinks it will help him politically. . 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    3 months ago

Well done by Lowrey, humor mixed with tragedy.

Biden having no core principles is bad enough, but throughout his term he has cowered to the worst people on earth.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 months ago

You can't hold Brandon to the same standards as Trump.

Just ask the Democrats.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 months ago
Ignoring a  law to disburse foreign  funds for domestic political reasons.

I'm not an expert on early U.S. history-- but I'm wondering: was there ever a U.S. president that did not do that to some degree?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  author  Vic Eldred    3 months ago

GMwFg17W8AAjVQs?format=jpg&name=small

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 months ago

“…against me…” 

When will some people come to the realization that everything, everyone, everywhere revolves around him. He could not care less about anything, anyone, anywhere in his pathetic and narcissistic struggle for respect, relevance and remaining a free citizen. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1    3 months ago

Unfortunately, he happens to be right, again.

The American justice system has been weaponized to manipulate facts & law all in order to defeat Donald Trump in the coming election.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    3 months ago

The denial and straight out gaslighting coming from the left on this is unbelievable and easily recognized by your average thinking American.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    3 months ago

“…to manipulate facts & law all in order to defeat Donald Trump in the coming election.”

You give so little credence to the meaning and integrity of our election process in the unfounded and misguided and imagined attempts in parroting partisan conspiracy theories.

Let the people vote and be man enough to accept the results…and that goes for everyone. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.2    3 months ago

One would think so.

What surprises me is that I even heard from one of our most intelligent members say that he thought "they are doing everything they can to make it a fair trial."

Every aspect of this trial has been criticized by legal experts.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.3    3 months ago
Let the people vote

Says those who want to wound him first with 4 show trials.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1    3 months ago

Swap Democrats for Trump in your statement and you may have a point.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.3    3 months ago
You give so little credence to the meaning and integrity of our election process in the unfounded and misguided and imagined attempts in parroting partisan conspiracy theories.

You mean the election process the Democrats and their brainless band of idiots are trying to circumvent with fictitious charges and nonsense to remove him from the ballots?

Let the people vote and be man enough to accept the results…and that goes for everyone.

You mean accept the results like Democrats did in 2016?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.8  afrayedknot  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.7    3 months ago

“…brainless band of idiots…”

And with such pithy, pitiful rhetoric we ‘idiots’ are to take seriously anything that follows?

The election process works…get involved and see for yourself[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1    3 months ago

What a bogus bunch of bullshit!  Another lying angry hateful rant from the former 'president'.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.3    3 months ago

The former 'president' and magats claim that he didn't lose last time.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    3 months ago

None of that is true.  I cannot believe you repost such verbal hatred and verbal diarrhea from the scumbag.  But the verbal hatred/diarrhea are endless and it does have his endless defenders.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.8    3 months ago

Then prove me wrong.  Prove to me that you aren't part of what I described.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 months ago

Oh my god enough fucking pissing and moaning from that goddamn cry baby. Fuck dude, all Trump EVER does is complain about how mean everyone is to him. The eternal victim, it is pathetic. I cannot respect such an absolute bitch. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2    3 months ago

So agree - I'm so sick of hearing - the former 'president' 'threatens', the former 'president' complains, the former 'president' I wish would just shut the fuck up.  It is President of the Whiny Little Bitches club FFS.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2    3 months ago

I just read something about the former 'president' pulling some of his usual schemes in Chicago and something about double dipping and audits and he may owe $100 million.

Awesome.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.2    3 months ago

Double dip tax breaks in Chicago - I guess, obviously, they're looking into all the former 'president's' businesses dealings now and tax tricks, and I bet there's a lot more of this kind of thing to come

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.2    3 months ago
I just read something about the former 'president' pulling some of his usu

What far left rag did you read it in?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  author  Vic Eldred    3 months ago

"Real Time" host  Bill Maher  closed his show Friday night by calling for a "COVID Commission" to investigate how the country mishandled the pandemic. 

"I get it that we didn't know exactly what was happening at the beginning of COVID and some mistakes were inevitable," Maher told his audience. "But four years on, I'm tired of hearing 'Well, we didn't know.' No, we didn't. But some people guessed better than others. And the people who got it wrong don't seem to want to acknowledge that now." 

"Some people said closing schools for so long was pointless and would cause much worse collateral damage to kids and they were right," Maher said.

Bill Maher calls for COVID Commission: The 'powers that be' refuse to admit they 'got it wrong' (msn.com)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    3 months ago

Biden is sorely miscalculating on this and frankly it is making him look weak and ineffective. The best resolution to this is to assist Israel in clearing out Rafah as quickly as possible and eliminating Hamas as an effective organization. What will then have to follow is rebuilding Gaza under Israeli occupation and basically a generations long denazification process for the people there. The pro Hamas “protesters” in the US be damned. 

Israel stopping and then just leaving Gaza not only doesn’t get the hostages back, but it leaves Hamas in control to continue oppressing the Palestinians and eliminating any chance of a peaceful future for them. It also makes sure the Gaza will not be rebuilt as Hamas has a long history of stealing any incoming aid and keeping everything for themselves. Stopping now means everyone will be right back here 15 years from now doing this all over again.