╌>

New Rule: Collective Narcissism | Realtime With Bill Maher (HBO)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 months ago  •  28 comments

By:   Bill Maher

New Rule: Collective Narcissism | Realtime With Bill Maher (HBO)
When “activism” merges with narcissism, it becomes less about the cause and more about the ego.

WARNING: If you are one of those people who easily upset, you might not like this video. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

New Rule: Someone needs to tell the people who block traffic in the name of a cause: 

No one likes you! 

You have to be pretty dumb to think that the way to bring people around to your point of view is to make them late to pickup their kids from daycare.

. . . but for Social Justice Warriors for a lot of them it seems like its more about the warrror-ing than about whatever the cause is.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

If you really cared about Apartheid so much, which Israel does not actually practice, Arabs there vote they serve in parliament, they sit on the judiciary... where would you start with this? Women of the world who live under a true Apartheid, a gender apartheid of the most brutal kind?

I'll wait.

Are you really speaking truth to power ordo you just think you look cool in a keffiyeh? Which is really just the new Che Guevara T-shirt. Another historical figure you never researched and so think is a hero but was actually a sadistic monster fighting for Communism the worst form of government ever.

But these are small matters . . . when activism merges with narcissism. 

Less about the cause and more about me.

Look at me, watch me.

And if you the way I'm fighting injustice, remember to Like and Subscribe!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

In February a sad confused man even lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli embassy in Washington D,C. and in his last Facebook post he said "What would I do if I was alive during slavery?" Interesting cocktail question sir and I guess the right answer is "Kill myself".

But it wouldn't actually have fixed the problem.if General Ulysses S. Grant immolated himself and his last word were: "Hey Lincoln are you suing that log?"

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4  Drakkonis    5 months ago

Bill pretty much nails the narcissism aspect but I think he misses another, perhaps more important angle; the ease with which people can be made to believe an idea without consideration of actual reality. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @4    5 months ago
the ease with which people can be made to believe an idea without consideration of actual reality. 

Good point! Definitely true. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1    5 months ago
the ease with which people can be made to believe an idea without consideration of actual reality. 
Good point! Definitely true. 

Many of these protestors claim Israel is committing "genocide". Committing genocide results in the numbers of any poplalation going down--rapidly!

I recently saw population figures for Palestinians. Over many years.(IIRC it was from the re-creation of the state of Israel (1948) until the present.

The population kept increasing-- rapidly. 

When a genocide is being committed, population decreases-- it doesn't increase!!!

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    5 months ago
I recently saw population figures for Palestinians. Over many years.(IIRC it was from the re-creation of the state of Israel (1948) until the present. The population kept increasing-- rapidly. 

While I'm hardly an expert, what I have read on the subject was that, before the defeat of the Ottoman empire, the region was relatively sparsely populated. When the Western powers took over, job opportunities attracted many Arabs to the region. That makes sense. The British and the French promoted infrastructure, even if it was only for their own purposes. Those attracted workers, most who were Muslim. Until sometime in the 60's, "Palestine" was simply a geographical region. not a people.

That is, the point isn't that the Mandate displaced native populations, but rather immigrants, for values of "displaced". If one is going to argue that the establishment of Israel was disruptive to the Muslim population, then one must necessarily ask the question whether or not the Muslim conquest of Palestine, which was majority Christian and Jewish, in that order, was also disruptive. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.2    5 months ago
If one is going to argue that the establishment of Israel was disruptive

Much of that land was uninhabitable. In the North there where inhospitable swamps-- and malaria. In the south there was a rocky desert. (Over half the country is rocky desert (shown in brown on map):

When the Jews came, they literally "made the desert bloom".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    5 months ago

Facts?  Facts?  Ever since social media sites happened facts are rare to be found. .

Of COURSE the population is going to grow.  If you were being babysat and spoon fed and funded for the rest of your life like UNRWA has done for four generations of Palestinians you'd multiply like rabbits. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    5 months ago

You mean when the refugees from Europe came, when Zionism was started by Theodore Herzl, because the Jews were there for thousands of years previously.  Think Abraham, David, Jesus - they weren't Muslims.  Israel is their indigenous land. 

And, not ALL of the desert.  I wasn't exactly standing in a jungle 24 years ago:

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.5    5 months ago
You mean when the refugees from Europe came, when Zionism was started by Theodore Herzl, because the Jews were there for thousands of years previously.  Think Abraham, David, Jesus - they weren't Muslims.  Israel is their indigenous land.

Yes-- I stand corrected!

(Although perhaps I should sit to be corrected?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.6    5 months ago
Yes-- I stand corrected! (Although perhaps I should sit to be corrected?)

IIt should read:

"When the Jews returned to their ancestral homeland"

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.2    5 months ago
Until sometime in the 60's, "Palestine" was simply a geographical region. not a people.

In all of history there was never an independent country of "Palestine". Rather, it was the name of an area (somewhat analogous to "New England" or "The Midwest" in the U.S.). 

In fact, before the re-establishment of modern Israel, Jews living there referred to themselves as "Palestinian Jews".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.7    5 months ago

Yes, no confusion there, and you can even lie down or stand on your head if you wish.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.8    5 months ago

Yes, Palestinian Jews, perhaps, but NEVER Jewish Palestinians. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.9    5 months ago

Yes, no confusion there, and you can even lie down or stand on your head if you wish.

Stand on your head?

"Sirasana":

Sirasana: asana-the-king-of-the-asanas-300x300.png

Headstand: An āsana in which you balance on your elbows, arms, and head.

Known as the “King of the Āsanas” because of its remarkable benefits, the Headstand is the first of the 12 āsanas and is excellent for improving concentration, increasing memory, and transforming libido into powerful life force.

In addition, people who practice Śīrṣāsana on a regular basis tend to have slower rates of respiration and heart rate. To the surprise of many first-time students, this pose does not require any special strength or flexibility; all it takes is practice and going step-by-step. Even so, you may wish to begin by undertaking the Dolphin, progressing to the full Headstand over time.

Objective: To relax and invigorate your entire body.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.9    5 months ago
you can even lie down

That "asana" (pose) is called "Yoga Nidra":

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.11    5 months ago

LOL. At my age it's hard enough just to stand up without getting a little dizzy from the effort, so I'll leave the headstands to youngsters like you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.12    5 months ago
"you can even lie down"

Now THAT'S an asana I have no problem doing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    5 months ago

Maher is describing a classic Marxist indoctrination technique.

Works best on the weak minded.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7  GregTx    5 months ago

Interesting. I wonder what the difference between a narcissist and a psychopath is?....

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  GregTx @7    5 months ago
I wonder what the difference between a narcissist and a psychopath is?....

I would imagine that many people are wondering the same thing!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

Mark Twain had traveled to the area (before the Jews returned from exile). He describes it as fairly empty, and what population there was was mainly living in poverty-- and diseases were quite prevalent:

(Apologies to Buzz-- I know you can't view videos. But this one is about Mark Twin's visit which I imagine you know about)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8    5 months ago

Yes, I'm aware of Mark Twain's limited observation. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

Tel Aviv at its founding. Jews had been returning to Israel before the modern state was established. Here they are at the founding of the city of Tel Aviv. 1909:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @9    5 months ago

I think the Rothschilds had a lot to do with the resettlement of Israel.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Krishna    5 months ago

Tel Aviv at its founding. Jews had been returning to Israel before the modern state was established. Here they are at the founding of the city of Tel Aviv. 1909:

Modern day Tel Aviv: 

(While Jerusalem is Israel's capital, Tel Aviv is the largest city.)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    5 months ago

I enlarged your photo to make it a little easier to see how built up the city has become.  

Here's another recent photo of Tel Aviv.

tel-aviv-israel.jpg