╌>

Max the cat is now a ‘doctor of litter-ature’ from Vermont State University

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  4 months ago  •  9 comments

By:   AP

Max the cat is now a ‘doctor of litter-ature’ from Vermont State University

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CASTLETON, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont university has bestowed the honorary degree of “doctor of litter-ature” on Max the cat, a beloved member of its community, ahead of students’ graduation on Saturday.

Vermont State University’s Castleton campus is honoring the feline not for his mousing or napping, but for his friendliness.

“Max the Cat has been an affectionate member of the Castleton family for years,” the school said in a Facebook post.

The popular tabby lives in a house with his human family on the street that leads to the main entrance to campus.

“So he decided that he would go up on campus, and he just started hanging out with the college students, and they love him,” owner Ashley Dow said Thursday.

He’s been socializing on campus for about four years, and students get excited when they see him. They pick him up and take selfies with him, and he even likes to go on tours with prospective students that meet at a building across from the family’s house, she said.

“I don’t even know how he knows to go, but he does,” Dow said. “And then he’ll follow them on their tour.”

The students refer to Dow as Max’s mom, and graduates who return to town sometimes ask her how Max is doing.

Max won’t be participating in the graduation, though. His degree will be delivered to Dow later.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    4 months ago

Max is now a Marxist.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @1    4 months ago

What's next - the Nobel Prize?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    4 months ago

... and elitist, indoctrinating our young adults into woke culture. you can tell by that smug expression on his face ...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    4 months ago

Cats are nothing new (or mew?) to the world of academia.

In 1975, Jack Hetherington and F.D.C. Willard published a paper together in  Physical Review Letters . The paper is an influential  view into atomic behavior  and has been cited multiple times, but only one of its authors is human—F.D.C. Willard is a cat,  Atlas Obscura   writes. His owner, Hetherington, added the feline (not pictured) as a co-author when he realized that although he was the sole author, he used the plural "we" and "our." Instead of retyping his entire paper, he simply  tacked on his cat Chester , sneakily calling him "F.D.C. Willard" after his species name,  Felix domesticus , his actual name, Chester, and the name of the cat's father, Willard. When the cat was out of the bag, Chester was invited to join the university's physics department full-time.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 months ago

Schrödinger's cat is F.D.C. Willard's grand-paw.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Hallux @2.1    4 months ago

I'm glad he lived long enough to sire kittens before he died and simultaneously didn't die.

And I hope he gave Schrodinger the swat he deserved on exiting the box alive (and also dead).

shona1
Professor Quiet
3  shona1    4 months ago

Arvo..

I say vote 1 for Max for President..

Far more intelligent than the current candidates..🐾🐾

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 months ago

I think that Max is perrrrfect! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal