╌>

Live updates: Trump trial jury deliberates in New York hush money case

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 months ago  •  15 comments

By:   NBC News

Live updates: Trump trial jury deliberates in New York hush money case
Live updates and latest news as jurors deliberate in the hush money trial of Donald Trump following testimony from Stormy Daniels, Michael Cohen, David Pecker, and others.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Updated May 30, 2024, 11:46 AM UTCBy NBC News

Where things stand in the hush money trial

• Jurors are entering their second day of deliberations this morning, following closing arguments in the New York hush money trial of former President Donald Trump.
  • While deliberations were underway, the jury sent a note to the court requesting information related to the testimony of former National Enquirer publisher David Pecker and former Trump attorney Michael Cohen. The jurors did not receive a written copy of Judge Juan Merchan's instructions and asked to hear the instructions again.
  • Merchan told jurors that the defense is not required to prove Trump's innocence and that the burden of proof is on the prosecution. He also explained the laws in question and reminded jurors to set aside any personal biases.
  • The jury is discussing the 34 counts of falsified business records Trump faces in connection with a hush money payment to adult film actor Stormy Daniels near the end of the 2016 presidential campaign. Trump has pleaded not guilty.

Jurors will rehear portions of witness testimony

Megan Lebowitz

Jurors yesterday afternoon requested to rehear parts of witness testimony, including three portions of David Pecker's testimony and a section of Michael Cohen's testimony.

The requests include revisiting Pecker's testimony about a phone call with Trump when Pecker was in an investor meeting and the life rights agreement with Karen McDougal, and Cohen's testimony about a Trump Tower meeting involving Pecker and Cohen about how the National Enquirer parent company, American Media Inc., could help Trump's presidential campaign.

Here's what to expect today

Megan Lebowitz

Court reconvenes at 9:30 this morning, and some of the first orders of business will be related to jury requests from yesterday.

Amid deliberations, the jury requested to rehear portions of witness testimony, as well as Merchan's jury instructions. It's not yet clear whether Merchan will reread the instructions in their entirety. It took him about an hour to read the full instructions yesterday.

After that, jurors will continue deliberating — but how long those discussions will take is unclear. It's possible a verdict comes today.

NEW UPDATESNBC News

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 months ago

original

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 months ago

I wonder if the whole world is waiting impatiently for the decision, or could they be somewhat distracted by those pesky wars going on these days. 

George
Junior Expert
2.1  George  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 months ago

Ukraine isn’t in the news here much because it’s not a plus for Biden, and we only hear about the war in Israel when we can bash Israel and trot out the left wing media’s antisemitism to rile up Biden supporters.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  George @2.1    4 months ago

Well, it could be because the war in Ukraine is old news already, isn't really going anywhere, and because the soldiers there aren't hiding themselves among the civilians and using them as human shields and hiding their weapons in United Nations facilities that the death count isn't high enough to make headlines.  Oh, wait, the United Nations and its poodle the ICJ and its prosecutors have nothing to say about THAT, right, especially since the UN's UNWRA is absolutely and fully complicit in working with the Hamas militants.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 months ago

I imagine they are watching both.  

In regards to the Clown show trial, countries wait to see if Trump can still run for office.  His election as POTUS would mean that many countries will need to go back to supporting themselves more instead of relying on handouts from Traitor Joe.

In regards to the wars, there is concern that it could spread to their countries and what their reactions are as well as what kind of support they can expect.  With the US in the clusterfuck it's in because of shitty leadership, most already know support from the US will be minimal.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    4 months ago

Well, it's over.  Actually it's NOT over.  It still has to make the climb through the appeal courts to the SuTrump Court of the United States where the court will not pull a Judge Carroll delay tactic and has probably already started to prepare its obvious decision and deliver it with the speed of light in order to preserve Trump's being the Republican candidate. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    4 months ago

I doubt it will ever be over.

The left now has a felony conviction they so desperately wanted, one for which I doubt Trump does a day in jail for.

As for hoping this dashes his election hopes, I doubt that as well will come to pass, even with the conviction, he can still run , and if the voters say , can win , and still serve as president. So nothing was gained.

MHO is that those that were going to vote for him before the verdict , will most likely STILL vote for him come November, it doesn't appear to me that being slutshamed by supporters of the opposition matters much to them,it does appear those op supporters are fairly well ignored. I say that because being called a deplorable didn't work so well in the past, if those trumpansees are like gen x , I can see a lot of yo mama stuff being thrown right back and then still voting for Trump while flipping off the left.

Those of course would be the hard core trumpansees, the one in the independent and middle the left hope to swing, I fully expect those folks to be like the character in sling blade checking the gas tank, saying to the left, " you ain't got no good candidates...."

(Admit it , you just read that in your head using billy bob Thornton s characters voice)

I don't see it changing a thing.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Snuffy  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.2.2    4 months ago

Agreed, although I am curious to see where the polls go in a week or so. Trump does know how to use the media and it doesn't matter to him if it's bad press or good press, he uses it to great advantage. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.3    4 months ago

If a plurality of American voters would still vote for Trump after all this it is time to roll up the awnings and call it a day as a country. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    4 months ago

Ok boomer

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.2.5    4 months ago

ok trumpster

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.2.2    4 months ago

Got to say I'm entertained these days by the news about American politics - who needs a circus?  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.6    4 months ago

Well you were born between 42 and 65 right? That makes you a baby boomer.

I take you for a mid boomer, 49 -58.

I would love to see your proof I'm a trumpster, and if it's only an attempted insult, it is rather weak , since I have never voted for the person , sadly I have never voted for your approved choices either, both are opposite ends of barking moonbatshit crazy and no amount of polishing those turds will help.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.2.2    4 months ago
MHO is that those that were going to vote for him before the verdict , will most likely STILL vote for him come November, it doesn't appear to me that being slutshamed by supporters of the opposition matters much to them,it does appear those op supporters are fairly well ignored.

I agree.   Anyone who would vote for Trump after the shit he pulled after his loss would vote for him no matter what.

The felony conviction might (hopefully) influence those who were considering Trump (versus those who had decided).

Just imagine, Mark, the 2024 electorate might just make history by knowingly electing to the presidency a convicted felon with several serious pending lawsuits.   Worse we would be placing a clown, scoundrel, loudmouth, buffoon, and pathological liar narcissist in the most powerful office on the planet.

Our framers never conceived of such a failure in patriotism and responsibility by the electorate.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @2.2.9    4 months ago

Not going to argue about that much. Just not going to play or participate.

As for patriotism or traitor, that's for the individual to decide and define, much like a terrorist or freedom fighter, you are one or the other depending on who is making the definition.