╌>

Was it Racism?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 months ago  •  44 comments

Was it Racism?
In a statement on Monday, Sky head coach Teresa Weatherspoon said Carter’s actions were “not appropriate, nor is it what we do or who we are.”

There is a sports story which is barely being covered. That is the reception that college women's basketball star received in a recent
WNBA game. Throughout that game which featured prominent rookies from an outstanding female class, there was an undercurrent of hostility. In the third quarter, Chennedy Carter knocked collegiate star Caitin Clark down during a stoppage in play and was later charged with a flagrant foul. This wasn't part of game play, this was just a shot taken at a player standing on the line.

ap24153740527678.jpg?q=w_1110,c_fill

The question is why?

There were high fives given to Carter by teammates who watched the unprovoked hit.

Chicago Sky forward  Angel Reese  said she will “take the bad guy role” in her rivalry with  Caitlin Clark  if it means continued growth for women’s basketball.

It was the first time Reese had spoken to the media since a hard-nosed game against  Clark  and the Indiana Fever on Saturday that has sparked continued debate ever since.

Reese, who was seen clapping and hugging Carter after the hard foul on Clark, was fined for refusing to speak to the media after that game.

Caitlin Clark: Chicago Sky star Angel Reese says she will ‘take the bad guy role’ in rivalry | CNN

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

Let us leave aside Reese for a minute.

What do we think of the Chicago Sky player who cheap-shotted Caitlin Clark, in the back yesterday, knocking her to the floor, calling her a "bitch?"

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago
What do we think of the Chicago Sky player who cheap-shotted Caitlin Clark, in the back yesterday, knocking her to the floor, calling her a "bitch?"

It's part of the game.  Stuff like this happens in virtually every sport. 

The imbeciles who are trying to make this about race can and should be dismissed out of hand.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1    2 months ago

You mean it is the star rookie treatment?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 months ago

Could be looked at that way.  I've seen veteran players do the same.  Hell, LeBron childishly pushes himself across the court for just running past him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.2    2 months ago

I guess that's the best description of LeBron I've heard thus far: "childishly."

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    2 months ago
"childishly."

Trying to keep it kid friendly.  Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.4    2 months ago

Does he really think he's better than Jordan?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    2 months ago

I think he does.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    2 months ago

After the Bulls won their first championship, they won 5 more, which was every year Jordan played a full season. More than that, none of those "Finals" series went to a seventh game. Someone on social media commented on LeBron James good record in seventh games. Jordan replied "whats a seventh game? I havent been in any . "

Michael Jordan is the Babe Ruth of basketball. Other players might equal him in this skill or that, but no one has ever matched his will to win. Maybe one guy - Bill Russell, who may be the second greatest player of all time. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.7    2 months ago

Spot on.    Most have LeBron at #2.     I would put him closer to #5 behind Russell, Kareem and Magic.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago
was it racism?

you mean like these weekly black vs white stories?

my granny got suspended from a penn high school about 100 years ago for using her elbow to move some aggressive playing girl's nose under her ear and my nephew's daughter hot her arm broken in a basketball game last year. girl sports are rough.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 months ago

My oldest was a vicious defender in Basket Ball but always said drill team and cheerleading was harder.

None of them got away with anything playing soccer, but the youngest discovered field hockey.  Her brother played ice hockey and showed her how to use that stick.  She was already a soft ball star, lot's of penalties.

Good times....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 months ago
There is a sports story which is barely being covered. That is the reception that college women's basketball star received in a recent WNBA game. 

You got off on the wrong foot. This story has been heavily covered by national media. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

No answer?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 months ago

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have seen this story on numerous national news shows. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 months ago

If that is so, why hasn't it appeared here?

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    2 months ago
why hasn't it appeared here?

Cuz it's not about my favorite sport curling, and shenanigans are rarer than look alike snowflakes.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 months ago

There has always been a racial undertow to the game of basketball. The same situation existed in basketball that existed in baseball and football. For many years black players were excluded from the highest professional level of the game, and even from college teams. 

In 1963 Loyola Chicago won the national championship, and they were one of the first teams that had players of different races rooming together. A couple years later Texas Western became the first team with a black starting five to win the college championship. The University of Kentucky, under coach Adolph Rupp , famously refused to recruit black players. As the 60's and 70's went by basketball became a largely "urban" game, with black kids playing in the school yards and parks all day long. The best college and pro teams began to be dominated by black players, who were presumed to be more "athletic". Players like Pete Maravich and Larry Bird began to be seen as "great white hopes", the minority of white players who were superstars in a black dominated sport. 

Over time black people began to believe that basketball was "their" game, and white players were just along for the ride. That has changed some in the 21st century as an influx of Europeans has changed the racial dynamic somewhat but it is still there. 

Caitlin Clark is about as white bread as you can get, and there is resentment among some black players that she is the most popular player in womens basketball before she even played a single game as a pro. 

Of course, she appears to be good enough to deserve all that publicity on her merits alone. That is the conundrum of the current situation. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

There is a bit of truth in what you say.

I've heard it said back in the day that Jim Brown played on hate. I'm not supporting that theory, but I'm sure others have heard it too.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

The only conundrum is if the WNBA is dumb enough to wreck their version of Michael Jordan?

I am sure the NBA would love to stop propping up the WNBA and have it come a financially independent organization.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

Is it OK for some players to harass her with flagrant cheap shots and then give high fives to each other for doing so?

Nobody would be paying any attention to these resentful women if it wasn't for this talented straight white girl.

Basketball play can be rough, but this flagrant cheap shot in the back is not part of the game.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    2 months ago

Le Bron told her to keep her mouth shut and keep moving forward. 

If all goes well she will have the last laugh for many years.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    2 months ago

Are the WNBA players trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

Clark is their Michael Jordan if they don't fuck it up.

I don't remember anyone bitching about Jordan's skin color. It was "Everyone wants to be like Mike!"

Clark is drawing in new audience for the WNBA; new advertisement revenue; and more importantly getting young girls interested in basketball who before Clark wouldn't have even considered playing.

The WNBA should be concentrating cultivating on the court rivalries between Clark and their premier players. The NBA had Jordan vs Ewing; Jordan vs Barkley; Jordan vs the entire Detroit Pistons team; Jordan vs Bird; and Jordan vs Magic. Players upped their game when playing Jordan- and the NBA capitalized on it.

Instead WNBA players and the refs seem determined to beat Clark into mediocrity.

If Clark fails then so does the WNBA- even worse than it historically has.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4    2 months ago
I don't remember anyone bitching about Jordan's skin color. It was "Everyone wants to be like Mike!"

Why would anyone bitch about Michael Jordans skin color? When he turned pro the NBA was already a black dominated league. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    2 months ago

There is no doubt that Chennedy Carter's hip check into Caitlin Clark was a cheap shot, and she received a flagrant foul for it. 

I dont know if anyone can say for sure it was racially motivated , but I think it would be  fair guess that it had something to do with Clarks popularity. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1  charger 383  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 months ago

It was called as regular foul during the game. after the game it was upped to a flagrant foul on review.   

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.2  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 months ago
I dont know if anyone can say for sure it was racially motivated , but I think it would be  fair guess that it had something to do with Clarks popularity. 

The black girls are jealous & pissed off at Clark because a white girl is a better player then any of them. It's their way of saying welcomed to da hood BITCH!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  MonsterMash @5.2    2 months ago

Probably true, in SC my daughter was relegated to soccer, softball and Jr USMC Drill team because whites and mixed race kids weren't welcome in baseball, football or basketball in that HS.

Once we moved north, she was a standout junior and senior basketball player without any prior experience.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6  Just Jim NC TttH    2 months ago

Hip check? It was a bit more than that including shoulder. Watch again.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6    2 months ago

You just posted a video that has "hip check" in the title. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    2 months ago

Don't care what the title says. I have eyes with which to see. Watch it and still disagree. Methinks you can't....... honestly anyway.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.1    2 months ago

John is correct, they should have called the video the hip check/forearm shiver one two move.    A hoops move perfected in the hood …..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.1    2 months ago

She bumped her with her hip, it is quite obvious. However, the upper body comes into it some, as you say. Watch the video again and you will see her flip her hip into Clark. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    2 months ago

Already saw it. I was pointing out exactly the same as you. There was more to it than just a hip. Thanks for confirming.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    2 months ago

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.5    2 months ago

And gave a little right hand help at the end.........

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    2 months ago

Who is drawing new fans?  Clark or Carter?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    2 months ago

This is a sign of our times.    If you can’t beat an opponent fairly within the rules, with superior play, you resort to thuggery.

That said, turn this around and then tell me this didn’t have racist overtones.    That is to say, the white player cheap shotted the black player the same way.    There would have been a brawl.    Of that there is little doubt.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Sparty On @8    2 months ago
 "There would have been a brawl.    Of that there is little doubt."

And the media and the women on "The View" would be all over it and call it racism. 

JBB
Professor Principal
9  JBB    2 months ago

Clark is not playing college ball anymore. She is playing with pros...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @9    2 months ago

Then she should cheap shot one of the sisters.     I mean, that’s the pro move according to you.

Hallux
PhD Principal
10  Hallux    2 months ago

Sounds like Clark has been initiated into the pro world. Y'all should watch women play hockey, Clark would not have gotten up after some of the hits seen there.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
11  Right Down the Center    2 months ago

I have no idea if the cheap shot was racial motivated.  I feel confident that if it were a black player getting the same hip check from a white player cries of racism would be screamed from the rooftops and the liberal media would be looking into the white players past to see what they could dig up when the player was 5.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  Right Down the Center @11    2 months ago

And there would have been a brawl on court I promise you that.

The hypocrisy coming from some here is egregious and copious.