╌>

DOJ charges Texas doctor after he blew the whistle on gender-affirming care for minors

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  4 months ago  •  45 comments

By:   Nikolas LanumNate Foy (Fox News)

DOJ charges Texas doctor after he blew the whistle on gender-affirming care for minors
The Department of Justice filed criminal charges against a surgeon who exposed Texas Children's Hospital for secretly conducting gender-affirming care on minors.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Transgender medicine whistleblower Dr. Eithan Haim discusses how after speaking out, the Feds might be investigating him on 'The Ingraham Angle.'

The Department of Justice filed criminal charges against a whistleblower after he exposed a Texas hospital that was allegedly secretly conducting gender-affirming care on minors.

Dr. Eithan Haim, a surgeon who completed his residency at the Texas Children's Hospital, was accused of HIPAA violations and has been indicted on four felony charges. Haim has vowed to fight the charges and suggested the DOJ is corrupt.

"They wanted to intimidate me into silence using every technique the federal leviathan had at their disposal. But they failed," Haim wrote Thursday on X. "The only way to lose is to submit to corruption. It's time to fight back harder than ever!"

In a statement to Fox News Digital, Haim's attorney, Marcella Burke, said, "My client is anxious to get to trial to get his side of the story told. I am confident this will result in the correct decision being made."

Haim leaked documents to journalist Christopher Rufo in May 2023 showing that the Texas Children's Hospital continued operating its child gender clinic against state law after they claimed it had been shut down.

Rufo previously stressed that none of the documents he obtained from Haim included patients' personal information at the clinic.

U.S. marshals earlier this week visited Haim's home to hand him a summons and instruct him to appear in court to face the indictments.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton released an opinion in February 2022 that stated gender-affirming care for kids could be a form of child abuse under state law. The following month, Texas Children's Hospital issued a statement saying it would stop all treatments and surgeries on children related to transgenderism.

In a piece published in the City Journal, Haim claimed that three days after the announcement, a surgeon implanted a hormone device in an 11-year-old girl who was experiencing gender dysphoria.

Haim said that over the next year, the frequency of these procedures increased.

Following the May 14, 2023, story by Rufo that included Haim's first-hand account, the Texas legislature passed a law that banned transgender medical interventions on minors.

In June, Haim said two federal agents arrived at his home and notified him that he was a "potential target" for an investigation involving violations of federal criminal law.

Haim's court appearance is set for June 10, when he and his lawyers will learn more about the charges related to medical records.

Texas Children's Hospital and the DOJ did not immediately return Fox News Digital's request for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 months ago

Does anyone still doubt that the Garland DOJ is politicized & weaponized?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 months ago
Does anyone still doubt that the Garland DOJ is politicized & weaponized?

Let's ask Matt Gaetz about that...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    4 months ago

and gym jordan, and mtg, and all the gqp?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    4 months ago

and gym jordan, and mtg, and all the gqp?

Gaetz is the hypocrite in this instance.  

He recently harassed Merrick Garland for not releasing Biden recordings to the House, only releasing the transcripts.  All the while ignoring that the same DOJ policy that preventing Biden's recordings from being release is the same policy that is preventing the House from getting the info from Gaetz's underage human sex trafficking investigation.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 months ago

Nope.  It seems many of these professional "caregivers" forgot the oath. "First, do no harm"

A reasonable person might think that a proper first step in treatment would be counseling instead resorting to experimental drugs and irreversible surgery.

Hard to understand why the government has to get involved. Even harder to understand why the progressives have gone all in on this issue.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 months ago
"First, do no harm"

You have no idea if a medical decision made for someone else is doing harm. Even if you had the medical training, you have not examined that patient.

A reasonable person might think that a proper first step in treatment would be counseling instead resorting to experimental drugs and irreversible surgery.

You also have no idea what other steps they have taken already. And yet you judge anyway - as if it were your place to judge.

Hard to understand why the government has to get involved.

Because ignorant, sanctimonious busybodies think they have a right to inflict their personal belief system on others.

Even harder to understand why the progressives have gone all in on this issue.

Is empathy dead? Have you even considered what it would be like to have the general public chiming in on medical decisions you make for yourself or your family? Would you not be offended, even a little? You don’t need to be a progressive to insist on things like privacy or personal autonomy.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.1    4 months ago

You don’t need to be a progressive to insist on things like privacy or personal autonomy.

Correct on all counts.  And lest we forget...

200803-mask-protest-my-body-my-choice-mn-1020.jpg anti-vaccine-my-body-my-choice-1216211.jpg

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.1    4 months ago

Wow, where did all that self-righteous anger and venom come from?  

Like you, I have an opinion, which is the right one in this case. And are you not being judgmental about my thoughts on this issue? 

The DOJ sure is indictment happy these days. No elaboration that the HIPAA violation charges are valid or not. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.3    4 months ago
Wow, where did all that self-righteous anger and venom come from?

Well, that’s deeply incorrect - and unfair. I default to defending individual rights and personal autonomy. That used to be a thing that some people thought was worth defending with vigor. That’s all I’m doing.

Like you, I have an opinion, which is the right one in this case. And are you not being judgmental about my thoughts on this issue? 

You judge the actions of others - in this case, actions you are neither entitled nor qualified to judge. If I have an opinion about your opinion, that is not the same thing.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    4 months ago

Of course.  Doing the important work to keep the country safe. Prosecuting wheelchair bound 75 year old ladies for praying the rosary, trespassers, and those who expose the mutilation of kids.  Can’t wait resources on violent illegal aliens crossing the border with impunity and matters of actual public safety 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 months ago
Prosecuting wheelchair bound 75 year old ladies for praying the rosary

Sean, what are you talking about? Where did that happen?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 months ago

Sean is equating illegally blocking women from seeking reproductive care with "praying the rosary".  He knows she wasn't arrested for praying, but for blockading an abortion clinic.

The group to which she belonged knocked over a nurse who was attempting to keep them out of the clinic when they forced the door.

The "prayerful" woman assaulted the clinic manager.

Sean's comment is bullshit.  Even the Catholic source Angelus provides a less biased account of what really happened, once you make it past the dishonest headline.

Blockade details

According to court documents, Harlow, on Oct. 22, 2020, "jostled past three employees attempting to keep the flood of obstructionists out. With a bike lock affixed to her neck, (she) then chained herself to four of her co-conspirators and blocked the main entrance to the clinic's medical procedure area."

The "melee," as prosecutors described it, began after Jay Smith shoved a door open, forcing a nurse to fall backward, spraining an ankle.

The clinic manager "rushed from the medical procedure area into the waiting room with a broom to attempt to erect a barrier separating two patients from Handy, Smith, and others. Joan Andrews Bell "slipped through an opening, dragging Harlow with her while Smith fought with the nurse."

The court documents continue, "As the clinic manager attempted to stand her ground, a much larger Harlow purposefully fell on top ... forcefully shoving the clinic manager into a waiting-room chair." Prosecutor described this as "body slamming." Harlow "then slid to the floor" which allowed the other blockaders to enter.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    4 months ago

[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    4 months ago
He knows she wasn't arrested for praying, but for blockading an abortion clinic.

Yep, the world is safe from being jostled by a 75 year old wheel chair bound old lady with debilitating  health issues.  Don't bother locking your doors..

Only the feds can protect us from such dangerous jostling. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.3    4 months ago

So, you don't deny that she was not prosecuted for what you said, then?

Then your comment was bullshit.

Which is likely why it wasn't sourced.  Everybody would have seen right through the bullshit.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.4    4 months ago
hen your comment was bullshit.

Lol.  I guess I should have spelled it out.   The feds prosecuted  a 75 year old wheel chair bound old lady with debilitating  health issues for jostling and praying the rosary at a forbidden place.  Wow. That really destroys my point.  Because that's such a reasonable use of federal taxpayer dollars to protect the public

You might get murdered by an illegal alien  MS-13 member the feds won't bother to detain, but you don't well be subjected to being jostled by a praying old woman in a wheelchair.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.5    4 months ago
I guess I should have spelled it out.

You shouldn't have said she was prosecuted for praying when she wasn't.

The place wasn't forbidden.  Denying others access to it was, and that's what she was doing.

As shown by the story you declined to post.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 months ago

So, maybe, mind your own business? You don’t have a right to go tattling to the world about medical decisions I make for my own body or those of my children. It’s incredible that we even need a federal law to protect that basic privacy right, but apparently we do. Sanctimonious busybodies can’t mind their own business.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 months ago

You don't have the right to Mutilate kids.

It's amazing to watch the radicalization of this issue.

Step 1: We don't perform these surgues on minors! It never happens and it's a lie to suggest we do.

Step 2.  Exposed for continuing to perform surgeries on minors

Step 3.  Of course we perform surgeries on minors. It would be the worst thing since slavery if we didn't. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 months ago
You don’t have a right to go tattling to the world about medical decisions I make for my own body or those of my children.

Then don't try to mutilate your kids.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    4 months ago
hen don't try to mutilate your kids.  

And, of course, no one's privacy right was violated. No individuals were named or identified. The only information exposed was that the hospital was lying to the public, which of course, they don't care about. Hospitals and public institutions lying is fine when done for causes they support. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    4 months ago
Then don't try to mutilate your kids.  

You call it mutilation. Someone else calls it corrective surgery. Give us a bright line definition of the difference. Why does your opinion matter more than that of the patient or their family?

Why should we take medical advice from a doctor who hasn’t examined the patient?

Why should we take medical orders from politicians who really don’t know anything about it?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    4 months ago
No individuals were named or identified.

This is the kind of lame apologetics people engage in when they do or support something they know is wrong. “Oh, I didn’t name anyone, so it’s totally fine.” Bullshit.

Patient, family, and doctor came together to make what they felt was the best course of treatment for the patient. There was thoughtfulness and consent all around. How the hell is that someone else’s business?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.2    4 months ago
Someone else calls it corrective surgery.

Corrective surgery?  What's the deformity they are correcting?  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.3    4 months ago

Not sure what you don't understand about against the law...............

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton released an opinion in February 2022 that stated gender-affirming care for kids could be a form of child abuse under state law. The following month, Texas Children's Hospital issued a statement saying it would stop all treatments and surgeries on children related to transgenderism.

In a piece published in the City Journal, Haim claimed that three days after the announcement, a surgeon implanted a hormone device in an 11-year-old girl who was experiencing gender dysphoria.

Haim said that over the next year, the frequency of these procedures increased.

Following the May 14, 2023, story by Rufo that included Haim's first-hand account, the Texas legislature passed a law that banned transgender medical interventions on minors.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    4 months ago

[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    4 months ago

Paxton?  Fuck him and his ignorance and bigotry.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.3    4 months ago
the kind of lame apologetics people engage in when they do or support something they know is wrong. “Oh, I didn’t name anyone, so it’s totally fine.” Bullshit.

No, pointing out no one's privacy was violated is perfectly rational when the accusation is violating privacy.

I notice not  a single complaint about a public health institution lying to the public. And then people wonder why people don't trust them.   

How the hell is that someone else’s business?

Is that your standard? No health care regulations at all?  A family finds a doctor who will saw off their  kid's leg because the devil is inside it and it's no one business what the doctor does? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.9  Tacos!  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    4 months ago
What's the deformity they are correcting?

What do you care? How is it your business?

Why don’t you give us the objective, bright line definitions that make surgery - or any other treatment - acceptable? When is it ok? When is it not ok?

Or is only not ok when it’s something you don’t personally relate to? Should we run all of our medical decisions by you?

George
Junior Expert
3.2.10  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.8    4 months ago

It seems to be easier to mutilate a child's body than it is to actually treat the mental illness it nowadays.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    4 months ago
Not sure what you don't understand about against the law...............

Yes, because invasive, right-denying laws never get passed. Especially in Texas. 

Tell me, are you as concerned with the law when it’s falsified business records? How about certified elections? How about election tampering? How about the control and handling of classified documents? How about firearm legislation?

You know HIPAA is a law, too, right?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  George @3.2.10    4 months ago

What makes it “mutilation?”

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.13  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.12    4 months ago

Ignorance...

original

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.14  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.8    4 months ago
No, pointing out no one's privacy was violated is perfectly rational when the accusation is violating privacy.

A whistleblower who respected patients’ right to privacy could have simply reported the concern to the proper authority. Instead, this happened: 

Haim leaked documents to journalist Christopher Rufo in May 2023 showing that the Texas Children's Hospital continued operating its child gender clinic . . .
In a piece published in the City Journal, Haim claimed that three days after the announcement, a surgeon implanted a hormone device in an 11-year-old girl

That’s enough to be considered a violation in my view. Sure, there’s no name, but we have the age, sex, location, treatment, and time of treatment in a fucking newspaper.

No health care regulations at all?  A family finds a doctor who will saw off their  kid's leg because the devil is inside it and it's no one business what the doctor does? 

Do you think it is? Do think that is the standard by which parents, patients, and doctors are proceeding?

Are you suggesting that either surgery or hormone therapy is being conducted without any concern for what is medically best for the patient? Are you suggesting that it is being done for superstitious reasons? For fun and cruelty? 

You make it sound like there is zero medical professionalism behind the treatments. On what grounds are you pushing what sounds like an absurd conspiracy theory?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.14    4 months ago
Sure, there’s no name, but we have the age, sex, location, treatment, and time of treatment in a fucking newspaper.

So what?  No one can be identified from that and no one's privacy was violated. You are just stretching  to reach a word "privacy" that hits people in their feels. That no ones privacy  was violated is an objective fact. 

Do think that is the standard by which parents, patients, and doctors are proceeding?

How would I know?   The parents and doctor in my example could absolutely believe they are acting in the best of interests of the child.  Have you met many doctors?  They are just as capable of believing crazy things as anyone else. 

That's why we do not, and have never, allowed doctors to do whatever they, personally,  thought was in the best interest of their patient. This isn't a new or even controversial point. It's just when people become emotionally invested in causes do  they start claiming doctors should be able to do whatever the want, at least when that conforms to their agenda. .  

On what grounds are you pushing what sounds like an absurd conspiracy theory?

good to know the Cass Review is just a conspiracy theory.  Probably should alert those countries in Europe that don't perform procedures  on minors that they are basing their policy on "conspiracy theories." 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.16  bugsy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    4 months ago

Some leftists try and equate lopping a penis off to correcting a cleft lip.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.17  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.15    4 months ago
No one can be identified from that and no one's privacy was violated.

No matter what lies you need to tell yourself, people in that community can put together 1+1+1+1+1 and get 5. 

And even if they are as slow witted as you pretend, there is zero justification for putting it in the paper.

How would I know?

Exactly. You wouldn’t know. Nevertheless you still judge, and you spread worst-case conspiracy scenarios.

That's why we do not, and have never, allowed doctors to do whatever they, personally,  thought was in the best interest of their patient.

Disingenous and misleading. Doctors have broad authority and you know it.

It's just when people become emotionally invested in causes 

Oh Stop! People shouldn’t be emotional about their own health? Or that of their children? It’s not a “cause.” It’s their own medical choices and they have zero impact on you. It’s not your business.

Probably should alert those countries in Europe that don't perform procedures  on minors

I remember when conservatives thought only leftists held up Europe as an example of how to do medicine. Personally, I don’t make choices for myself - much less others - because Europe does it a certain way. 

“Conservatives” need to get back to those basic values they profess to believe in. Government tells us to get vaccinated because infectious disease affects everyone, and they scream about freedom. But a family makes a private decision with a doctor that doesn’t affect anyone else at all, and the government needs to step in. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.18  Tacos!  replied to  bugsy @3.2.16    4 months ago
Some leftists try and equate lopping a penis off to correcting a cleft lip.

The story is about a girl who is getting hormone treatments not having parts lopped off. Apparently you are the one with absurd comparisons.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.11    4 months ago

Whose names were exposed? NO ONE. You have less than one leg to stand on

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.20  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.19    4 months ago

Tacos is correct, as usual.

Also, nobody's business.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.21  Split Personality  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.19    4 months ago

Tacos already made the point that we now know the hospital and the names of some of the doctors and the age of the minor and the clinic.

How difficult would it be for someone at the hospital to find the girls name and sell it to a reporter.

Sooner or later someone at that hospital will be over heard asking for the child prognosis by name.

Or some zealot will secretly tape a meeting...

It happens all the time.

He will be charged for violating HIPPA period.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.22  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.19    4 months ago

It might help if you read 3.2.14.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4  Hallux    4 months ago

I smell Christopher Rufo.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @4    4 months ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    4 months ago

It seems a little sanity is returning to the trans issue here in the US, but some seem to remain unconvinced.

Are We Seeing a Return to Sanity on the Transgender Issue? (townhall.com)