╌>

3 dead, 10 wounded in shooting at Mad Butcher grocery in Arkansas

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 months ago  •  62 comments

By:   David K. Li and Dennis Romero

3 dead, 10 wounded in shooting at Mad Butcher grocery in Arkansas
A gunman opened fire at an Arkansas grocery store Friday, killing at least three and wounding several others, authorities said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A gunman opened fire at an Arkansas grocery store Friday, killing at least three and wounding several others,authorities said.

The deadly incident unfolded just before 11:40 a.m. CT at the Mad Butcher in Fordyce, a small town about 70 miles south of Little Rock, state police Director Mike Hagar said at a late-afternoon news conference.

Eleven people were wounded, including the three who died, the Arkansas State Police leader said. Two officers were also injured but had non-life-threatening injuries.

Some of the eight surviving civilians were in "extremely critical" condition, Hagar said.

The shooter, treated in custody for non-life-threatening injuries after exchanging gunfire with officers, was identified Friday night as Travis Eugene Posey, 44, of New Edinburg, a community about 11 miles east of Fordyce.

A law enforcement officer at the scene of a shooting at the Mad Butcher grocery store in Fordyce, Ark., Friday. Colin Murphey / Arkansas Democrat-Gazette via AP

"It's tragic," the state police director said, "Our hearts are broken."

Hagar, also the state's secretary of public safety, said it was too early to determine what motivated the suspect. Arkansas State Police is leading the investigation, he added.

After his release from medical care, Posey was booked Friday evening at Ouachita County Detention Center based on an allegation of first-degree murder, according to inmate records.

State police said he was likely to face three counts of capital murder once charges are formally filed. It said further charges were also likely.

It wasn't clear if he has retained counsel, and the public defender's office for Dallas County, Arkansas, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Meat cutter Matt Gill was in the back of the store when he heard gunfire and shattering glass.

"He came in and started shooting," Gill said. "We made it out the back door. I had to get out there, I have a wife and kids at home."

The shooting appeared to begin in the parking lot as sisters Amiya and Ashiya Doherty were in the back of the family SUV where they said they were nearly struck.

"He shot at my mother's car and hit the tire and pssshshsh," Amiya said, mimicking the sound of air escaping.

Car windows all around them were shot, but the sisters' SUV had only tire damage. Amiya said she grabbed her sister Ashiya and pulled her down to avoid being hit.

"It was like a movie," said Ashiya, who was also unharmed.

The violence stunned Roderick Rogers, a Fordyce native and pastor at Grace United Church.

"I saw people just lying in the parking lot," he said. "There were shots going on everywhere."

Video that was verified by NBC News but does not show what transpired beforehand showed a man in a parking lot firing a long gun, some rounds appeared to be directed at vehicles and the weapons was then lowered when he reloaded.

"Look at him," a woman can be heard saying on the video that appears to have been shot from the far side of U.S. Highway 79, the road in front of the store.

"They done went into the Mad Butcher shooting ... " she said.

Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders praised authorities for their immediate reaction.

"I am thankful to law enforcement and first responders for their quick and heroic action to save lives," she said in a statement.

Fordyce is a city with a population of 3,396 and a median household income of $35,116, that is less than half the nationwide median of $74,580, according to the U.S. Census Bureau data.

The Arkansas attack follows a mass shooting in Oakland, California on Wednesday, when 15 people were wounded during Juneteenth events near Lake Merritt, officials said.

Also on Wednesday, seven people were injured after a shooting in Philadelphia, officials said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    4 months ago

When I was a kid, my father's uncle Bill worked in my father's factory, and every day he would say "Another day, another dollar".  In America we all know that expression would be changed to something some here will deny that is all too common "Another day, another....(I'm sure everyone knows what follows next). 

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 months ago

Well, it;s all good, cause bump stocks are no longer illegal

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Igknorantzruls @1.1    4 months ago

I can understand that attitude - can it be stretched into wishing to be able to legally own a machine gun?

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1.2  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    4 months ago

for some, that's a stretch too far

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Igknorantzruls @1.1.2    4 months ago

You mean sort of like a bridge?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    3 months ago
can it be stretched into wishing to be able to legally own a machine gun?

Actually The Second Amendment allows citizens to a main battle tank, a large howitzer, etc. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    3 months ago

Can you get them at Walmart?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    3 months ago

Or enough guns to outfit an army - have you ever seen a picture of Charleton Heston's collection?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    3 months ago

Really?

So my request for a fully operational M1A1 Abrams tank and Apache attack helicopter will be granted?

That is great news!

I have a rodent infestation problem that won't seem to go away. I will get to see what Elmer Fudd vs Bugs Bunny would look like in real life.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    3 months ago

Yes, they are so clean that most have probably never been fired or have seen the light of day since he purchased them.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    3 months ago

(just grins)

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    3 months ago
You mean sort of like a bridge?

Well if there is indeed a bridge-- it's definitely one that's over troubled waters! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.10    3 months ago

Is that a bridge where one coud say "no trump"?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 months ago

Were the Founders wrong in establishing the 2nd Amendment. Should it be abolished?

Its primary purpose is to protect the First Amendment.

Alexander Hamilton and The Right to Fight the Government (townhall.com)

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 months ago

[deleted][]

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 months ago
Its primary purpose is to protect the First Amendment.

No, it's there to protect all the amendments. 

Were the Founders wrong in establishing the 2nd Amendment. Should it be abolished?

No. It should be modified to accommodate today's weapons. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.2    4 months ago
It should be modified to accommodate today's weapons. 

Cool. Pass an Amendment. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.3    4 months ago

Cool. Pass an Amendment. 

I take it you disagree. Not surprised. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.4    4 months ago

Not really. I just favor things being done constitutionally. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 months ago

Since you're asking me if it should be abolished, I think it should be treated similarly to other laws of its kind, like the requirement for horse watering troughs in cities. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.2.7  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.2    4 months ago

In what way?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.5    4 months ago

Even IF an amendment could be passed ( The only legitimate way to change the situation), there is absolutely no guarantee of cooperation or compliance in light of current political discord that exists.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2.8    4 months ago

The only way an amendment could be passed is with widespread, geographically diverse public support,  reducing the chances of non compliance.  That’s the beauty of an amendment it, genuinely has to be popular, nationally. It can’t be implemented because 5 people thinks it’s a good idea. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.9    4 months ago

What you say is true but I will point out as you say it simply reduces, not eliminates.

I view it much like someone pish poshing that any government can not become tyrannical,chances are low , but there can ever be a 100% guarantee,and until that can be achieved, talk of removing or changing the 2nd ,that is off the table and the discussion is over.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.11  Ronin2  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2.8    3 months ago

Criminals that Democrats support still wouldn't obey the law; and only law abiding citizens would suffer as they would be the only ones affected.

That should fix the problem./S

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.2    3 months ago

3ah7ej.jpg

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    4 months ago

This certainly was a horrific crime, but I don't know if it was preventable.

We have had a few atrocious crimes in Maryland and other places, which were entirely preventable.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    4 months ago

Shootings happen every day, in the US, and all over the world. Not sure why this case is newsworthy.

Speaking of preventable, there seems to be no mention or outrage of the growing number of assaults, rapes, and killings of young women being committed by illegals here in the US..

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @3    4 months ago
Shootings happen every day, in the US, and all over the world.

No, they don't. We are unique in that respect. 

Public Mass Shootings in Countries Similar to the United States There were 109 public mass shootings in the United States and 35 public mass shootings in 35 other economically and politically comparative countries between 2000 and 2022. 4   The United States makes up 33 percent of the combined population of these 36 countries; however, it also accounts for 76 percent of public mass shooting incidents and 70 percent of victim fatalities in these countries. In other words, the rate of incidents and fatalities in the United States is especially high when compared to similar countries.

shona1
Professor Quiet
3.2  shona1  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago

Morning... certainly made headlines here..

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago

That's because some think it's wrong to criticize the Democrats and their shit policies like open borders and setting criminals to run free.  It makes them cry.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    4 months ago

Just another weekend in Chicago.  But the identity stars aligned on this one in Arkansas so now it's a headliner on the news cycle.  Bet we won't hear about a history of mental health episodes on this one.  We're more likely to hear about all the red flags (real or imagined) posted on social media.  As if no one could see this coming.

Now the control phreaks and perpetually outraged can point their little grubby fingers and spout all sorts of meme ready talking points.  But we've heard it all a thousand times before.  And this perpetual state of blame doesn't encourage anyone to choose a different path.  In fact, by creating a stereotype, these shootings become more likely.  Mass shootings have become what society expects from those who fit the stereotype.  Liberals repeatedly tell us that someone cannot change who they are.  Liberals are more concerned over the freakin' guns than those who might fit their meme stereotype.  Helping people is just too damned hard for liberals.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 months ago
Just another weekend in Chicago.

Chicago doesn't even make the top 10, not sure why you are referencing them. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 months ago
point their little grubby fingers

Who, exactly, are you accusing of having "grubby little fingers"?

And perhaps more importantly-- I am curious as to how that relates to the actual topic under discussion here...???

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5  Drakkonis    4 months ago

It's disappointing that, when these things happen, the blame is always on the guns. It wasn't all that long ago that kids used to take their guns to school so they could go hunting right after. Not city kids, of course but still. People rode around with guns in their trucks for years and no problems. The actual problem is what has changed in society that produces these people, where before they were practically non-existent or very rare, not counting organized crime, who mostly did unto themselves. 

Today, it seems many don't mind homicidal maniacs and whatever is creating them being among us, as long as they don't have access to guns. Cars, knives, bombs and whatever else is okay. Just not guns. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drakkonis @5    4 months ago

You are absolutely right.

Guns haven't really changed all that much over the years, but our society certainly has.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    3 months ago
Guns haven't really changed all that much over the years,

Exactly!

I 3D-Printed a Glock to See How Far Homemade Guns Have Come

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    3 months ago

Guns don't fire all by themselves. I get that means holding PEOPLE responsible for their actions instead of an inanimate object.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    3 months ago
Guns don't fire all by themselves. I get that means holding PEOPLE responsible for their actions instead of an inanimate object.

Exactly!

And let's not forget-- Fentanyl doesn't kill all by itself. 

And yes--  I get that means holding PEOPLE responsible for their actions instead of an inanimate powder.

So hopefully you will join our movement to de-criminalize possession (or sale!) of Fentanyal-- and hold the true culprit (PEOPLE!) responsible-- not a mere powder!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    3 months ago

Exactly!

And let's not forget-- Fentanyl doesn't kill all by itself. 

And yes--  I get that means holding PEOPLE responsible for their actions instead of an inanimate powder.

So hopefully you will join our movement to de-criminalize possession (or sale!) of Fentanyal-- and hold the true culprit (PEOPLE!) responsible-- not a mere powder!!!

Is it really necessary for me to remember the "/sarcasm" tag here?  jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @5    3 months ago
People rode around with guns in their trucks for years and no problems.

Excellent point!

There's hasn't been any significant gun violence up until the last year of two.

Why?

(Asking for a friend)

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 months ago

There's hasn't been any significant gun violence up until the last year of two

April 20, 1999

This is a far reaching, deeply seated problem that goes way beyond dates. It will take serious dialogue, a willingness to engage in constructive discussions, and more importantly, and sadly less of a chance, to legislate and put into place some sort of collaborative processes to never eliminate, but perhaps decrease the number of tragedies.

Until then, we will be subject to the inevitable next incident…seeking shelter and somehow finding comfort in the cocoon of the status quo. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 months ago
There's hasn't been any significant gun violence up until the last year of two. Why?

Since this has been ramping up much longer than the last couple of years I suspect we may not be on the same page, here. Are we talking about the same thing? Perhaps it doesn't matter. In my opinion, this and other things can be laid at the feet of concepts such as moral relativism and postmodernism, along with society's increasing departure from God. The foundations of society are intentionally being eroded, meaning no one has anything solid to stand on. Idiotic ideas such as multiculturalism (as defined by the Left) separates society into groups with different goals instead of uniting us under one set of principles, morals and values. Corruption in both government, civil and religious institutions make people feel hopeless as they chase ideals that do not fulfill them. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @5.2.2    3 months ago
along with society's increasing departure from God.

Well, if more people would follow the path  of our saints and other spiritual leaders, there would be no gun violence. At al. EVAH!

But there is good news-- some places have mandated the public display of the Ten Commandments!

Louisiana To Require The 10 Commandments Displayed In Every Public School Classroom

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @5.2.2    3 months ago
In my opinion, this and other things can be laid at the feet of concepts such as moral relativism and postmodernism, along with society's increasing departure from God.

Indeed.

And let's not forget thatGod (PBUH) actually wants more people to own guns. 

In fact, She has said:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!!!!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Drakkonis @5    3 months ago
the blame is always on the guns

The firearm is blamed because that is the easy target for all this. God forbid they actually look into the dimwit holding the gun and hold them accountable.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.3    3 months ago
God forbid they actually look into the dimwit holding the gun and hold them accountable.

Indeed.

Heck, some people even oppose background checks as a requirement for gun purchase!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.3.1    3 months ago

And yet, we still have laws requiring same.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6  MrFrost    3 months ago

Suspect was NOT an illegal. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6    3 months ago

Has someone claimed he was?

GregTx
Professor Guide
6.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    3 months ago

As far as I know,  no. But I'm sure the Biden administration will breathe a sigh of relief that this isn't another violent crime, in a long string of them, committed by an illegal they allowed in.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @6.1.1    3 months ago
an illegal they allowed in.

Signed,

Donald Trump. 

I mean, you are aware that illegals killed Americans on trump's watch too, as a result of illegals HE let in, right? 

GregTx
Professor Guide
6.1.3  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.2    3 months ago
I mean, you are aware that illegals killed Americans on trump's watch too, as a result of illegals HE let in, right? 

Yes, I'll go a step further and say that illegals have killed Americans under every presidents watch. Now perhaps you would answer my question from yesterday. Which president has allowed the highest numbers of illegals to enter?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.2    3 months ago

I broke all records for letting illegals in. I am #1. Stop comparing me to that loser Trump!

Signed

Joe Biden.

I mean, you are aware that Trump at least tried to stop illegals from entering this country? He didn't just let any illegals in. Democrats fought him every step of the way when it came to border security. And Biden rescinded every last Trump EO/EA to keep illegals out. Right?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.4    3 months ago
Democrats fought him every step of the way when it came to border security.

And their pathetic excuse the entire time was "it's racist".  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.5    3 months ago

Democrats haven't got a leg to stand on when it comes to Biden's handling of the border.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.6    3 months ago

Between Biden and Mayorkas, it's a fucking train wreck.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.7    3 months ago

And only Biden sycophants defend his sorry record on the border.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.9  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.8    3 months ago

And all too often the they act like

“so what, Americans commit crimes too. It only matters when an illegal does it?”

it just doesn’t sink into their little pea sized brain that a crime committed on US soil by an illegal would not have happened if that illegal wasn’t here.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.8    3 months ago

And as expected it's some pathetic excuse.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @6    3 months ago
uspect was NOT an illegal

Of course he wasn't. That's why it was posted to the top of the site. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @6    3 months ago

Somebody is on the defense quick.