╌>

Deadly attacks on Dagestan synagogues and churches

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 months ago  •  17 comments

By:   By Henri Astier and Steve Rosenberg, BBC News, London & Moscow

Deadly attacks on Dagestan synagogues and churches
The assailants have not been identified, but Dagestan has in the past been the scene of Islamist attacks.

Related:

I. Boston Marathon bombing of 2013

The bombers

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had arrived in the  United States  with his parents in 2002, and Tamerlan joined them a year later. Prior to their immigration to the U.S., the ethnic Chechen family had lived in  Kyrgyzstan  and the Russian republic of  Dagestan

Although there appeared to be no concrete links between the Tsarnaev brothers and any larger plots or terrorist groups, Dzhokhar revealed to investigators that he and his brother had obtained the plans for the bombs from  Inspire , an online newsletter published by  al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula  (AQAP).

That led analysts who were following the investigation to conclude that the Tsarnaevs were “self-radicalized,” having developed a personal militant  ideology  that drew from  disparate  sources without being directly connected to any of them.

Investigators uncovered gruesome evidence of the violent nature of that ideology when Tamerlan was implicated in a triple  homicide  that took place in  Waltham , Massachusetts,

II. 40 Killed, 145 Wounded At Concert Hall In Moscow, Islamic State Claims Responsibility (March 23, 2024)

Men in camouflage broke into a Moscow concert hall and opened fire, shooting an unknown number of people, Russia’s prosecutor general said. 

Russia officials said that more than 40 people are dead and more than 100 injured after the attack at Crocus City Hall.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Attacks on police officers, churches and synagogues in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Dagestan have left many people dead. Gunmen targeted the cities of Derbent and Makhachkala on the Orthodox festival of Pentecost.

The dead include at least seven police officers, a priest and a security guard. Six of the attackers are dead and police are hunting for others.

The assailants have not been identified, but Dagestan has in the past been the scene of Islamist attacks.

The churches and synagogue were set ablaze in Sunday's attacks. An Orthodox Church priest was killed in in Makhachkala, Dagestan's largest city. Footage posted on social media shows people wearing dark clothes shooting at police cars, before a convoy of emergency service vehicles arrive at the scene.

In Derbent - home to an ancient Jewish community - gunmen attacked a synagogue and a church, which were then set on fire. An unofficial channel on the Telegram messaging app, Mash, said gunmen were barricaded in a building in Derbent.

A police vehicle was attacked in the village of Sergokal. Police detained Magomed Omarov, head of the Sergokalinsky district near Makhachkala, following reports that two of his sons were among those who carried out Sunday's attacks.

Dagestan, one of the poorest parts of Russia, is a predominantly Muslim republic. Between 2007 and 2017, a jihadist organisation called the Caucasus Emirate, and later the Islamic Emirate of the Caucasus, staged attacks in Dagestan and the neighbouring Russian republics of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Kabardino-Balkaria.

Following   the attack on   the Crocus City Hall venue   near Moscow in March, authorities pointed the finger of blame at Ukraine and the West, even though the Islamic State group claimed it.

Back then President Vladimir Putin had insisted that "Russia cannot be the target of terrorist attacks by Islamic fundamentalists” because it “demonstrates a unique example of interfaith harmony and inter-religious and inter-ethnic unity”.

And yet three months ago Russia’s domestic security service, the FSB, reported that it had thwarted an IS plot to attack a Moscow synagogue.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 months ago
Attacks on police officers, churches and synagogues in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Dagestan have left many people dead. Gunmen targeted the cities of Derbent and Makhachkala on the Orthodox festival of Pentecost.
The dead include at least seven police officers, a priest and a security guard. Six of the attackers are dead and police are hunting for others.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 months ago
The churches and synagogue were set ablaze in Sunday's attacks. An Orthodox Church priest was killed in in Makhachkala, Dagestan's largest city. Footage posted on social media shows people wearing dark clothes shooting at police cars, before a convoy of emergency service vehicles arrive at the scene.

In Derbent - home to an ancient Jewish community - gunmen attacked a synagogue and a church, which were then set on fire. An unofficial channel on the Telegram messaging app, Mash, said gunmen were barricaded in a building in Derbent.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Krishna @2    3 months ago
An unofficial channel on the Telegram messaging app, Mash, said gunmen were barricaded in a building in Derbent.

I hope they aren't holding any hostages.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Gsquared @2.1    3 months ago
I hope they aren't holding any hostages. 

I don't know whether they are or not, but it would seem this particular "resistance group" prefers to simply murder people in cold blood--- and be done with it!  jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @2.1    3 months ago

Maybe they're just not smart enough to use bargaining chips for when they're identified.  Hamas was. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    3 months ago

I once had an Israeli client who called Palestinian Muslims "animals".  I was offended by that back then.  But she was wrong, because animals are not that cruel or primitive, so these terrorists shouldn't be called animals, but "monsters" would be more appropriate. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    3 months ago

These were not Fiddlers on the Roofs.  They were terrorists determined to Islamify the world. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 months ago

Dagestan, one of the poorest parts of Russia, is a predominantly Muslim republic. Between 2007 and 2017, a jihadist organisation called the Caucasus Emirate, and later the Islamic Emirate of the Caucasus, staged attacks in Dagestan and the neighbouring Russian republics of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Kabardino-Balkaria.

Following      the attack on      the Crocus City Hall venue       near Moscow in March, authorities pointed the finger of blame at Ukraine and the West, even though the Islamic State group claimed it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    3 months ago

So you're saying that the leaders of the land that carried out pogroms is trying to do a little deflection from their own primitive behavior?

shona1
Professor Quiet
4  shona1    3 months ago

Morning...no doubt Putie will say Ukraine is behind it all...

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  shona1 @4    3 months ago
Morning...no doubt Putie will say Ukraine is behind it all...

I think you're right about that.

Many westerners are unaware of it, but (with the exception of 9/11) Russia has probably been the target of more terror attacks by Islamic extremists than the U.S. has.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 months ago
Many westerners are unaware of it, but (with the exception of 9/11) Russia has probably been the target of more terror attacks by Islamic extremists than the U.S. has.

To cite but one example:

Moscow metro bombs kill dozens

Two suicide bombers blow themselves up on separate rush-hour trains, killing at least 38 in Russian capital

Two female suicide bombers blew themselves up on the Moscow subway during the morning rush hour today, killing at least 38 people and injuring more than 60, Russian officials said.

Vladimir Putin, the prime minister, who broke off a visit to the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, said those responsible for the attacks would be "destroyed".

"A crime that is terrible in its consequences and heinous in its manner has been committed," Putin said at the start of a video conference. "I am confident that law enforcement bodies will spare no effort to track down and punish the criminals.

Terrorists will be destroyed," said Putin, who was propelled to the Russian presidency in 2000 following his tough response to the Chechnya conflict.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 months ago

My greatest fear for the west, especially America, is that when Iran will soon be building nuclear bombs they will provide them to their Islamist proxy groups like Hamas, the Houthis, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, maybe ISIS all of whom have no fear of dying themselves because if they do they will earn the pleasure of deflowering their 72 virgins and enjoy them forever in The Garden of Allah, and to earn that privilege, by murdering the "infidels", I am deathly afraid that the west and probably America is going to witness The Sum of All Fears.  Watch that movie to see what I mean.  God help us. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Drakkonis  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    3 months ago

I was thinking about that. Their reward, I mean and the method of sacrificing oneself as a suicide bomber to attain it. What I'm wondering is, are such people particularly faithful and in good standing according to the strictures of Islam or are these mostly people who have been bad, according to their strictures, and see this as a guaranteed way to make up for it? Put another way, would Islam consider them bad, evil people but are given a way into their Heaven through this means? Would they, according to Islam, otherwise go to Hell? 

And is it as simple as blowing yourself, and apparent enemies of Islam, to kingdom come? In Christianity, one can be forgiven anything (except one) if one repents and seeks God and His kingdom through Jesus Christ. However, the repentance has to be real and not in the sense of using some sort of get-out-of-jail-for-free card. And God knows the truth of a person's heart. Is it the same in Islam or is it really as simple as living as evilly as you want (whatever that constitutes in Islam) but as long as you die killing the god of Islam's perceived enemies, that god doesn't care about repentance? I suspect it's the latter. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.3    3 months ago

I really don't know enough about Islam to have an answer to that (those) conundrum(s).

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.3    3 months ago
Is it the same in Islam or is it really as simple as living as evilly as you want (whatever that constitutes in Islam) but as long as you die killing the god of Islam's perceived enemies, that god doesn't care about repentance? I suspect it's the latter. 

I believe Islamic teaching say that if you die "defending Islam" you are guaranteed a spot in heaven.

And it goes on at length re: details of how wonderful heaven is. (Most Muslims believe this).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @4    3 months ago

More so the west, especially America.