╌>

Gov. Stitt approves all of Walters' new Education Department rules • Oklahoma Voice

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 months ago  •  114 comments

By:   Nuria Martinez-Keel (Oklahoma Voice)

Gov. Stitt approves all of Walters' new Education Department rules • Oklahoma Voice
Gov. Kevin Stitt approved the full package of rule proposals from the Oklahoma State Department of Education, giving them the force of law.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By: Nuria Martinez-Keel- June 24, 2024 11:41 am

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt allowed all rule proposals from the state Department of Education to take effect, including a controversial change to school accreditation reviews. (Photo by Nuria Martinez-Keel/Oklahoma Voice)

OKLAHOMA CITY — Gov. Kevin Stitt has approved a controversial set of rules from the Oklahoma State Department of Education, as expected after the Legislature declined to take action on the regulations.

Stitt approved the rules on Friday, giving them the force of law. His office did not respond to a request for comment on them.

The package of about 20 regulations comes from state Superintendent Ryan Walters' administration. Among them is a rule that will downgrade a school district's accreditation status if fewer than half of its students score at a basic performance level in reading and math tests. The district's standing with the state would continue to drop if it fails to show 5% improvement on annual test scores.

Other rules create a potential punishment for schools that continue to employ educators under investigation of wrongdoing and would allow schools to fire teachers for engaging in acts that "promote sexuality" in the presence of a minor or in a manner available to a minor online.

State Superintendent Ryan Walters said it was "a great day" when Gov. Kevin Stitt approved all new rules proposed this year at the Oklahoma State Department of Education. (Photo by Nuria Martinez-Keel/Oklahoma Voice)

"This is a great day for Oklahoma students and their parents," Walters said in a statement Monday. "Oklahoma is leading the nation in education reform and these new rules hold our schools accountable for results. We are leaving behind failed policies and are completely focused on empowering parents, protecting our students from predators, and improving academic outcomes for our kids."

House Democrats criticized the rules and the Legislature's lack of action. They and some education advocates said tying accreditation to test scores would unfairly punish schools that serve mostly students living in poverty or who are learning English as their second language.

But the House Republican supermajority decided not to bring the regulations to a vote by the full chamber. Rather than voting and possibly sending the rules to the Senate, the House GOP caucus allowed the governor to decide whether to approve them.

Before that, the House Administrative Rules Committee had passed all but one of the regulations. The lone exception was a provision to allow scores from the Classic Learning Test to apply to academic scholar and seal of biliteracy awards, adding it to the list of eligible tests with the ACT and SAT. But the lack of a House floor vote meant the governor had the final decision on all of the rules, even one the committee rejected.

Some Republicans opposed it because the Classic Learning Test isn't accepted by many Oklahoma universities. It was developed in 2015 and tests reading, grammar and math with an emphasis on classic literature and historical texts.

Other rules establish "foundational values" for the Education Department, including references to "the Creator," and implement Stitt's executive order banning state funds from applying to diversity, equity and inclusion programs.

Nuria Martinez-Keel

Nuria Martinez-Keel covers education for Oklahoma Voice. She worked in newspapers for six years, more than four of which she spent at The Oklahoman covering education and courts. Nuria is an Oklahoma State University graduate.

Oklahoma Voice is part of States Newsroom, the nation's largest state-focused nonprofit news organization.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 months ago

MAGA Fascism In Oklahoma, "The Heartland of MAGA Madness"...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago
MAGA Fascism

Noted, plans to educate youth and hold schools accountable is now some sort of massive MAGA fascist plot.

One can not make this stuff up!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

Are these the morons who are now posting the 10 commandments in PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

The 10 commandments to magats are the things they disavow - the rules they break on a regular basis - complete hypocrisy.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.3.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Tessylo @1.3    3 months ago

“The 10 commandments…”

…closer to being the ‘ten suggestions’…

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.1    3 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.1    3 months ago

I particularly like thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife's ass

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.3.4  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.3    3 months ago

I particularly like thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife's ass

Well, shit... I'm screwed. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4  Kavika   replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled against Ryan Waters and the state on public funds supporting religious schools.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @1.4    3 months ago

yeah, that was an over-reach, for sure.

They can do school vouchers, though.

George
Junior Expert
2  George    3 months ago

These rules are just terrible, they make schools educate their children or they lose their accreditation, and you have to fire teachers who have been accused of wrongdoing. How unfair is that? (s)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  George @2    3 months ago

Oh, gosh, the sheer HORROR of it all!

Oh, No, Mr. Bill!!

3ed653a302ae4a19bcc82e38a64849ad.jpg

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    3 months ago
unfairly punish schools that serve mostly students living in poverty or who are learning English as their second language.

Don't they still have brains that function? And ESL is BS

George
Junior Expert
3.1  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    3 months ago

Poverty makes you stupid? is that the democrats new code word for minorities?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  George @3.1    3 months ago

Sure sounds like it. And the left is aghast at parents having a say so in their kids education.

Here is what seems to be liberal family values that should be taught in public schools. And what is happening in Louisiana is applicable to what's going on in Oklahoma.

alg062324dAPR-800x0.jpg

afb062424dAPR-800x0.jpg

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.2  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    3 months ago
the left is aghast at parents having a say so in their kids education.

No, the left is aghast at the State usurping their parental rights in their kids education. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.3  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    3 months ago

Please describe in detail how the state is usurping the parents rights in their kids education.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    3 months ago
No, the left is aghast at the State usurping their parental rights in their kids education. 

What has been usurped?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.5  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.3    3 months ago
Please describe in detail how the state is usurping the parents rights in their kids education.

Mandating a specific religion, removing certain terms of self expression, removing reading material, removing factual historical topics of discussion, interceding in the mental & physical wellbeing of certain children without evidence of harm. Quite of bit of this has, or will be, overturned in the courts for exceeding constitutional boundaries. It is all identity politics to the right-wing populists about power and control. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.5    3 months ago
Mandating a specific religion

please link the text mandating a particular religion.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.7  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.5    3 months ago

Show me where in these 20 regulations that Oklahoma has mandated a specific religion, What terms of self expression? This is about what teachers can teach not the parents. No reading material has been removed by these regulations, you are projecting and not actually dealing in facts here, exactly which of these 20 regulations do what you described?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.8  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    3 months ago
please link the text mandating a particular religion.

I know you're smarter than this. 

The Louisiana law signed last week is a religious mandate. Perhaps if they also mandated the posting the Code of Hammurabi, Buddhist scriptures of ethics, the 5 vows of Jainism, ideals from Taoism, Shinto, Wiccan and Greek philosophy they might get away with it, but they have not. It's clear from the words of the lawmaker herself who pushed the bill into law it's about pushing the Christian religion into public schools.

A group of parents in Louisiana filed a federal lawsuit on Monday seeking to block a new state law requiring that the Ten Commandments be posted in every public school classroom. 

I can't find it right now, but I saw a headline in my newsfeed last week where some Texas politician was vowing to do the same in public schools there. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.8    3 months ago

I am also smart enough to not confuse Oklahoma and Louisiana.

This article is about Oklahoma.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.10  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    3 months ago
I am also smart enough to not confuse Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Your pedantic bullshit is noted... I responded to a particular post. It even had specific memes that I applied to my reply. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.11  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.7    3 months ago
Show me where in these 20 regulations that Oklahoma has mandated a specific religion,

That's called moving the goal posts. I was replying to a specific post from Greg.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3.1.8    3 months ago

I confused the states as well because it is absolutely fucking unreal that they would do what they're doing here and what they're doing in Louisiana

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.12    3 months ago

I know you didn't confuse them though evilone (I was confused) and I can't believe any state would pull this ignorance.  Like what they're doing in Oklahoma AND Louisiana and now you know other ignorant red state 'leaders' will try to do the same.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3.1.5    3 months ago

BINGO!  (Regarding your last sentence) and the truth of it all.

Plus, the usual defense of the indefensible from the usual suspects.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @3.1.8    3 months ago

The Louisiana law signed last week is a religious mandate

no , it isn’t. It’s a mandate to post a document. It doesn’t force students or  anyone else to be a Christian, it doesn’t penalize anyone who’s isn’t.  No one is restricted from office or receiving benefits because of their religion. 

you can argue it’s an impermissible endorsement of Christianity.  That’s the extent of it.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.16  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.8    3 months ago
The Louisiana law signed last week is a religious mandate.

Which religion are they mandating? 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.17  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.15    3 months ago

“It’s a mandate to post a document.”

A ‘document’? The mandate most certainly applies specific religious doctrine. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.17    3 months ago
A ‘document’?

yes, you are correct, a document.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.17    3 months ago
The mandate most certainly applies specific religious doctrine. 

Maybe we use different meanings for the word "mandate".

Here is what I like to use:

Mandate:

an official order or commission to do something:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  George @3.1.16    3 months ago

None, of course.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3.1.11    3 months ago

The OK Supreme Court ruled the state:  The state Supreme Court held that the funding violated the Constitution because the school "will evangelize the Catholic school curriculum while being funded by the state."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.17    3 months ago

Then they need to post whatever the Satanic commandments 'document' would be and any other religion

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

George
Junior Expert
3.1.23  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.15    3 months ago

Not really Christianity, technically Jesus fulfilled the law so all the Jewish laws of which the 10 commandments are a part of no longer apply, but the Jewish faith and Islam still use the big 10, so technically they must be promoting Islam and the Jewish religion, maybe that is why the antisemites are so outraged?  

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.24  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.15    3 months ago
no , it isn’t. It’s a mandate to post a document.

So you would be okay if say Dearborn, MI mandates the posting of Muslim rules in it's schools? I mean it's only a document on the walls? I remember a lot of right wing populists going completely apoplectic when a school used "winter break" on a schedule instead of "Christmas break"...

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.25  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.16    3 months ago

Which religion follows the 10 Commandments?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.26  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3.1.21    3 months ago
The OK Supreme Court ruled...

I expected that. I alse expect them to whine about it all the way back to the US Supreme Court where once again they will be denied. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.25    3 months ago

Is there any type of "punishment" included in the imaginary "mandate"?

George
Junior Expert
3.1.28  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.25    3 months ago

Islam, and Judaism. technically the Christ fulfilled the law so it no longer matters, while the Christian faith uses the 10 commandments as instructions on how one should be more Christ like, it is no longer the "LAW" 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.29  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.24    3 months ago
if say Dearborn, MI mandates the posting of Muslim rules in it's schools?

That would be the 10 commandments. or are you talking about the dietary laws? which rules are you asking about?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.30  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.23    3 months ago
Not really Christianity...

Interesting since it's in their book AND Rep Dodie Horton, a member of the Baptist Church and the law's writer said:

“Since I was in kindergarten [at a private school], it was always on the wall. I learned there was a God, and I knew to honor him and his laws.”

hmm...

...but the Jewish faith and Islam still use the big 10, so technically they must be promoting Islam and the Jewish religion

All three are splinters of Abram's teachings from where the 3 religions come from. The Decalogue from the Torah is central to both Judaism and Christianity. The Qur'an references the 10 commandments twice as Moses receiving the tablets, but does not describe, or list what is on them. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.31  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.29    3 months ago
..which rules are you asking about?

Does it matter? 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.32  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.28    3 months ago
while the Christian faith uses the 10 commandments as instructions on how one should be more Christ like, it is no longer the "LAW" 

Then there is no reason to display it outside a religious building for religious reasons.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.33  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.30    3 months ago
The Ten Commandments are the well-known instructions, the essence of the Torah, which Allah revealed to Moses on Mount Sinai, peace and blessings be upon him. These commandments are among the core teachings of Judaism and Christianity that are taught to children at an early age, and all of them are included within the teachings of Islam.

What Are The 10 Commandments in Islam? | About Islam

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.34  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.27    3 months ago

10 Hail Marys and 10 minutes in the confessional with a priest.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.35  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.31    3 months ago

No religion should be in public schools, but you are arguing that the 10 commandments is promoting or mandating a religion, which it is clearly not except in your bias. because different religions use the same thing, so which religion are they supporting? Islam? Judaism? Christianity? all or none?  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.36  afrayedknot  replied to  George @3.1.29    3 months ago

“…the dietary laws?”

What’s to stop some from mandating the laws outlined in Leviticus in school lunchrooms?

The exact same principle. Or is this, as I imagine, just another purely political ploy in playing to the base. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.37  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.27    3 months ago
Is there any type of "punishment" included in the imaginary "mandate"?

We know historically there have been all sorts of punishments in schools by teachers, principles and coaches for not be religious, or for not being the 'right' religion. From being harassed, mocked, abused, benched or ostracized these stories are part and parcel of why we DO NOT let schools do these things. Teachers, coaches and students shouldn't be afraid to express their own religions in ways that don't infringe on others, but the school is representative a government of over 300 million people. If 3 people in a room can't decide what pizza to have for dinner, how will 300 million decide what religion is best? It's best not to decide...

George
Junior Expert
3.1.38  George  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.36    3 months ago
What’s to stop some from mandating the laws outlined in Leviticus in school lunchrooms?

So you don't want Jewish dietary laws promoted in schools? is that a soft form of antisemitism?  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.39  afrayedknot  replied to  George @3.1.38    3 months ago

Wow, [removed (Please try to spell members names right)] […that] [] is some serious stretching on your part to say absolutely nothing. (hi, jim)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.40  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.39    3 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif Awesome

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.41  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.37    3 months ago

I know you didn't actually say it, but that sure reads as a "no" to my question.

Thanks.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.42  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.35    3 months ago

You have proven my point for me.

IF they wanted a "historical document" they should have used the Bill of Rights. If they wanted a "historical document" from where our laws originated from they could use the Magna Carta with references to the creation of English Common Law and the impact it had on the formation of US law. It would be a fantastic discussion for several classes. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.43  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.42    3 months ago

[removed][]

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.44  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.41    3 months ago
I know you didn't actually say it, but that sure reads as a "no" to my question.

My 'no' is more like 'NO MORE'. This country is done with religionists telling the rest of what we should believe and how to believe it. It can't be done without being authoritarian. For those parents that want religion in their children's lives there are plenty of private religious schools schools and churches.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.45  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    3 months ago

I know you cannot understand but a hella lot of us do not want your myths about ancient spirits, ghosts, devils and demons or any other non-existent magical beings or other such silly supernatural bullshit taught, outside of literature classes, in our public schools!

That nonsense should only be taught in your homes and churches!

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.46  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.43    3 months ago
That's impossible, you didn't have one.

You've moved on to childish comebacks now? Can't find another way to say that the 10 Commandments only apply to splinters of the Abrahamic religion? You do know there are more than 3 religions in the world, right? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.47  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.39    3 months ago

Hi rtb

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.48  seeder  JBB  replied to  evilone @3.1.46    3 months ago

Yes, Hindus, Buddhists and Pastafarians are already suing!

Equal Equals Equal = = =

George
Junior Expert
3.1.49  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.46    3 months ago
You do know there are more than 3 religions in the world, right?

Why yes i do, i also know what the term mandate means. Do you? and can you show where any religion has been mandated? any one of the 3 you have listed? 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.50  evilone  replied to  George @3.1.49    3 months ago
Why yes i do, i also know what the term mandate means. Do you? and can you show where any religion has been mandated? any one of the 3 you have listed? 

Now you are being pedantic as well as boorish. You have defended the efforts states to inject Christianity into public classrooms for as long as you have been here. I will oppose that attitude until I am gone to ash. Self determination is the central ideal of our country. I took an oath to uphold the rights of people to do that and no matter how others interpret them they don't include bowing to religionists, theocrats or dominionists. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.51  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.44    3 months ago

No it is!

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.52  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.51    3 months ago
No it is!

Wow... jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

George
Junior Expert
3.1.53  George  replied to  evilone @3.1.50    3 months ago

[removed][]

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.54  Gsquared  replied to  evilone @3.1.46    3 months ago

The Louisiana law mandates that the Protestant King James version of the 10 Commandments must be displayed in classrooms yet some people pretend that doesn't represent a conscious effort by the Louisiana authorities to promote and support any particular Abrahamic religion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  George @3.1.53    3 months ago

[removed][]

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.56  evilone  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.54    3 months ago
The Louisiana law mandates that the Protestant King James version of the 10 Commandments must be displayed in classrooms yet some people pretend that doesn't represent a conscious effort by the Louisiana authorities to promote and support any particular Abrahamic religion...

A few people here like to play word games and move goalposts in an effort to detract from this original point. It's fine. We know who they are and the games they play. It doesn't change the fact red states are showing authoritarian idealism based on identity politics. It's who they are.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.57  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.54    3 months ago
the Protestant King James version of the 10 Commandments must be displayed

And there it is. Who uses the King James version? In my observations it has traditionally been the fundamentalists. Roman Catholics do not use the KJ version.

So now we've splintered this whole mandate even further

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.58  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.54    3 months ago
The Louisiana law mandates that the Protestant King James version of the 10 Commandments must be displayed

Can you show us where it says that?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.59  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.57    3 months ago
Who uses the King James version?

I do personally. That new hip shit just doesn't trip my trigger.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.60  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.59    3 months ago

I have the New International Bible. It's been around for a long time. It's not exactly hip.

And you took my question out of context. It was a rhetorical question

George
Junior Expert
3.1.61  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.58    3 months ago

I can do that for you, here it is copied out of the King James Version online:

And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I   am   the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness   of any thing   that   is   in heaven above, or that   is   in the earth beneath, or that   is   in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God   am   a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth   generation   of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day   is   the sabbath of the LORD thy God:   in it   thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that   is   within thy gates:

11 For   in   six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them   is , and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that   is   thy neighbour's.

EXODUS CHAPTER 20 KJV (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

And here is the text from the actual law.

20 (2)  The text shall read as follows:
 21 "The Ten Commandments
 22 I AM the LORD thy God.
 23 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
 24 Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
 25 Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
 26 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
 27 Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord
 28 thy God giveth thee.
 29 Thou shalt not kill.
 30 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

1 Thou shalt not steal.
 2 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
 3 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
 4 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his
 5 cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's."

Bill Text: LA HB71 | 2024 | Regular Session | Enrolled | LegiScan

It appears that they aren't the same, 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.62  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.58    3 months ago

I couldn't find it in the very limited search I did but I did find this:

Not long after the governor signed the bill into law at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School in Lafayette on Wednesday, civil rights groups and organizations that want to keep religion out of government promised to file a lawsuit challenging it.

The law prevents students from getting an equal education and will keep children who have different beliefs from feeling safe at school, the American Civil Liberties Union, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and the Freedom from Religion Foundation said in a joint statement Wednesday afternoon.

“Even among those who may believe in some version of the Ten Commandments, the particular text that they adhere to can differ by religious denomination or tradition. The government should not be taking sides in this theological debate,” the groups said.

It doesn't sound like the Catholics are very keen on this law

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.63  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.60    3 months ago

Whoops my mistake. New International is what they use in my church........that is unless you are not in the traditional service. At home I use King Jimmy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.64  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.59    3 months ago
That new hip shit just doesn't trip my trigger.

How do you feel about the Beatitudes? That's in the KJV. Or it used to be until people complained that it was too :woke"

George
Junior Expert
3.1.65  George  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.62    3 months ago
It doesn't sound like the Catholics are very keen on this law

Nobody should be, they are trying to promote this as a historical document and not a religious document which it clearly is to most people. what they aren't doing is mandating a religion, as there are several religions that use this, Islam, Judaism as well as Christians. 

The Catholic Bible has extra books that you won't find in the typical protestant bible. 7 additional old testament books. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.66  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.64    3 months ago

I don't feel that way about them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.67  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.66    3 months ago

I'm not a Christian but I think the Beatitudes have an important message for every one

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.68  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.67    3 months ago

Agreed

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.69  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.59    3 months ago

“…doesn't trip my trigger.”

Oh, we all know what trips your trigger. 

Thumbs up?

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3.1.70  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    3 months ago
Here is what seems to be liberal family values that should be taught in public schools. And what is happening in Louisiana is applicable to what's going on in Oklahoma.

So you'll be ok with Muslim kids bringing prayer rugs to school? 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4  Gsquared    3 months ago
Other rules establish "foundational values" for the Education Department, including references to "the Creator," (emphasis added)

Impermissible.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @4    3 months ago

what pisses me off is that taxpayers that don't share thumper religious beliefs are still required to financially support them. basically, theocratic socialism ...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 months ago

What pisses other people off is the fact that they pay taxes that support the public school system and still have to fork over thousands for the private/religious schools.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 months ago
what pisses me off is that taxpayers that don't share thumper religious beliefs are still required to financially support them. basically,

Unless you currently live in LA, and unless this law is upheld (doubtful), you don't pay anything.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.1    3 months ago

I think many are pissed off our public schools are w-a-a-a-y underperforming, despite the billions spent annually.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 months ago

I agree. Wife teaches in a Title 1 school and this year, they are shelling out over $13,000.00 per student

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.1    3 months ago

Those people choose private/religious schools. Want to send your brat to religious school? Have the kid work in the cafeteria, you get 2 more jobs, send mommy out to work, and tighten your belts. I guess Junior isn't getting a brand new car when he graduates

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.5    3 months ago

Probably still get the car cuz dem is sum rich bitches LOL

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.1    3 months ago

if thumpers want their socially defective spawn to attend a xtian madrasa, they should pay more...

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.8  evilone  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.1    3 months ago
What pisses other people off is the fact that they pay taxes that support the public school system and still have to fork over thousands for the private/religious schools.

Using your logic here should childless couples not pay at all?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilone @4.1.8    3 months ago

Damned good question and one I don't have an answer for other than probably the percentage for schools be credited.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.4    3 months ago
Wife teaches in a Title 1 school and this year, they are shelling out over $13,000.00 per student

Some districts spend way more and get crappy results.

New York City schools, Chicago Public Schools, Baltimore County Schools, Washington DC schools all underperform.

Some of them spend exorbitant amounts.

George
Junior Expert
4.1.11  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.9    3 months ago

And amazingly enough our taxes work the exact opposite of that, LOL, people with no kids do more to support the schools financially than people with 5 kids.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  George @4.1.11    3 months ago

Yep

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.5    3 months ago

Yeah, I sure as hell don't/wouldn't appreciate paying for some other kid's private religious school when MY taxpayer dollars already go to public schools.  Why do they get to double dip?

Plus, fantastic idea TG.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @4.1.8    3 months ago

Good idea eo - I chose not to have kids.  Why should I be punished?  Just joking though, I have no problem with MY tax dollars going to PUBLIC schools.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Gsquared  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.9    3 months ago
should childless couples not pay at all?
probably the percentage for schools be credited

Why?  Don't you believe that society benefits by having an educated population? 

Do you believe public libraries and parks should only be paid for by users of the libraries and parks, not taxpayers in general?  

Do you believe publicly owned hospitals should only be paid for by patients?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.13    3 months ago

I know my dad wanted to send us to CAtholic school but he couldn't afford it. If we could have gotten free tuition by working in the school (cafeteria, janitorial, etc) he would have been all over it.

This coming from a man who wanted to be a Baptist preacher

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.15    3 months ago

Read it again. I said NOTHING about libraries, parks and hospitals. I said the portion that goes for SCHOOLS. Quit trying to put words in other's mouths.[]

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Gsquared  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.17    3 months ago
I said NOTHING about libraries, parks and hospitals.  

Where in my comment did I say you did?  NO WHERE.  I was asking questions to determine your position, or, if you wish, rhetorical questions.  If you are unable to answer the questions, or choose not to, that's on you.

Quit trying to put words in other's mouths.

Quit trying to pretend I did. 

I said the portion that goes for SCHOOLS.

Based on your failure to respond to the question of whether or not you believe that society benefits from having an educated population, we will assume that you don't.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.18    3 months ago

Answer is yes but nowhere did I say no taxation whatsoever which would be the only reason those things would go away. My point is quite clear.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.19    3 months ago

No matter how twisted or farfetched the responses to your clear posts, just know you aren't responsible for anyone failing to see your point!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.20    3 months ago

Thank you

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.15    3 months ago

Based on his words alone, 

The answer is so damn obvious.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.1.23  afrayedknot  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.18    3 months ago

“rhetorical questions.”

In the absence of addressing real concerns, that is far as some are willing to delve…knowing full well the lack of substance, and yet content in the ifs, ands or buts that are the lazy cornerstone of any ‘argument’.

Pissing into the wind. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @4.1.23    3 months ago

Jim addressed some of the concerns, but apparently it wasn't well received!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Gsquared  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.19    3 months ago
Answer is yes

That's encouraging.

nowhere did I say no taxation whatsoever which would be the only reason those things would go away

Nor did I say you did.

My point is quite clear.

I didn't say it wasn't.  I was merely probing further into your position regarding funding of various public institutions.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.22    3 months ago

Based on his words alone, 

The answer is so damn obvious.

Thank you for providing your totally incoherent comment.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.26    3 months ago

Makes sense when one reads it.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5  Gsquared    3 months ago

This seems to be another example of the theocrats and the far right hoping they will benefit from the current alignment of the Supreme Court.