╌>

2024 Paris Olympics new sports, explained: Breakdancing to debut

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  2 months ago  •  20 comments

2024 Paris Olympics new sports, explained: Breakdancing to debut

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Breakdancing (Breaking)

After captivating the hip-hop world for the past few decades, breakdancing (referred to as "Breaking" by the IOC) will make its Olympic debut in Paris. The sport previously debuted at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

There will be two events for men and women, where 16 competitors will showcase their skills in   "spectacular solo battles."   The athletes will use a combination of moves, including the windmills, 6-Step, and freezes, to improvise their choreography to a DJ's tracks, ultimately hoping to wow the judges and bring home the first Breaking medals in Olympic history.

The competition will take place over the course of two days, with the women competing on Aug. 9 and the men taking the stage the following day. Round robin, quarter final, semifinal and final rounds will happen on the same day over a few hours. Round robin is set for 10:15 a.m. ET, while the winners will be crowned at 3:15 p.m. ET.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    2 months ago

Seriously? While Breaking requires a degree of athleticism is it really a olympic level sport? 

And if it is why not Ballet, Ballroom Dancing, Country Line dancing etc

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    2 months ago

I was watching the skateboarding today.  I used to skate back when skateparks were few and far between, and skaters were mostly gritty pot heads who got arrested all the time for skating on private property since there weren’t public places for skating.

The Olympics does not lend itself to skateboarding’s true roots and continued counter culture.  I guarantee you the best the US has to offer is not in the Olympics because they couldn’t pass a drug test.  It’s funny to listen to commentators, many of whom don’t even know the roots.  For instance, there’s a stair configuration that street skaters call a “hubba”.  It got its name a long time ago at a popular skate spot in San Francisco nicknamed the hubba hideout.  It was kinda in a secluded spot so cops tended not to hassle skaters there.  However, because of its seclusion crackheads would hang out there and smoke crack.  Hubba is a slang word for crack.  I doubt the commentators know this history as they repeatedly refer to tricks on the hubba.  Lol. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    2 months ago
I used to skate back when skateparks were few and far between, and skaters were mostly gritty pot heads who got arrested all the time

Used to skate alot back in the 70's and early 80's mostly in the streets and parking garages but didn't do pot or get arrested, just chased away a few times..  Anyway it is a sport so no probs with it in the Olympics (even if I probably won't watch it, the X Games are way better)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 months ago

follow the money

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

How very cryptic

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago
follow the money

So you agree that Trans boxers are only there because a small portion is profiting from it.  Unless you condone men beating up women. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

Now that breakdancing is considered an Olympic sport, what's next?  Arm wrestling?

muzhchiny-silachi-armrestling.jpg

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 months ago

At least it's arguably a sport

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @4.1    2 months ago

Well, it's called "dancing" is it not?  If breakdancing is a sport, so is the fox trot, jitterbug, tango, rhumba, mambo, charleston, etc.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 months ago

if weightlifting is a sport i dont see why arm wrestling couldnt be too. 

I think it all comes down to money.  the more events at the Olympics the more money is involved.  I think it all stated to go south when synchronized swimming was included. 

and how is target shooting a sport. it requires concentration and calm co-ordination, but so does holding a hand of poker. 

Best not think too much about things that dont really make sense. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    2 months ago

Yep, it doesn't make sense, but these days there are a lot of things that don't make sense to me anyways, but the saving grace is that as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter either.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    2 months ago

I think it all stated to go south when synchronized swimming was included.

And then there’s dressage.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    2 months ago
I think it all stated to go south when synchronized swimming was included.

Or synchronized diving, or artistc gymnastics

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    2 months ago

I have lost interest in the Olympics 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  charger 383 @5    2 months ago

Understandable, but I still watch for track and field events

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     2 months ago

I’m all for it and hope they add Pow Wow dancing next. I will compete in the “over the hill fancy dance” competition. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @6    2 months ago

Good luck, but I think you'd be betterr suited for the story telling event

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6    2 months ago

I was thinking that when I made my comments above.  You won't be able to do it in a wheelchair so you'd better recover as soon as possible.  You could still win a fishing contest now though.

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    2 months ago

I'll continue to watch the sports I'm interested in. Last night my wife and I watched the Women's gymnastic team finals. It was amazing. Maybe tonight I'll watch the swimming...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  evilone @7    2 months ago

Waiting till the track events start myself