╌>

Trump questions Kamala Harris' identity, saying 'is she Black or Indian?'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  2 months ago  •  27 comments

By:   PBS News Hour

Trump questions Kamala Harris' identity, saying 'is she Black or Indian?'
I did not know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black ...

Just watch.   Get the full context.   

( People want this clown to be the president of our nation. )

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    2 months ago

This is something one would expect to see as an SNL sketch.    But this clown is actually saying this.  

No doubt this will be a campaign ad.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 months ago

There are more multiracial people in America now than at any time in our history. It is actually quite commonplace . Trump seems unaware. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 months ago

He is at a convention for the National Association of Black Journalists.   Not the best time to talk about Kamala Harris turning black (and speaking in air quotes even).

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 months ago
There are more multiracial people in America now than at any time in our history. It is actually quite commonplace . Trump seems unaware. 

Race has less of a scientific basis in America now than at any time in our history.  It actually has no biological basis at all.  Most of us are unaware.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.2    2 months ago
Race has less of a scientific basis in America now than at any time in our history.  It actually has no biological basis at all.  Most of us are unaware.

You might want to inform the white supremacists. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 months ago

Well, I guess since his mother was Scottish, Trump isn't of PURE "Aryan" blood.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    2 months ago

Apparently most Americans need to be informed.  They seem to believe in racial characterization in larger numbers than religion.  We really need to add science to our public school curriculum.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.6  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.5    2 months ago

Typical tone-deaf MAGA racial claptrap, not unlike Trump...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.6    2 months ago

Claptrap?  What do you think the biological basis for race theory is?  Do you reject DNA analysis? How many races does biology find and what are they?

Do you still subscribe to a “one drop” rule?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.8  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.7    2 months ago

There you go, again...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.8    2 months ago

There you go, dodging legitimate questions while promulgating unscientific nonsense.  

The pseudoscience explanations of race coincided in Europe and the Americas at the same time as the transatlantic slave trade.  Hard to believe that folks like you still believe that claptrap.

You should study the 1619 Project.

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.1.10  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.2    2 months ago
Most of us are unaware.

And stubbornly so

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.1.11  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.7    2 months ago

Race is a made up term, which the country has been trying to get out from under for a long Time

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @1.1.11    2 months ago
Race is a made up term

Agree.

which the country has been trying to get out from under for a long Time

Apparently not.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @1.1.10    2 months ago

Amazingly many Americans and apparently many NT’s still believe in these centuries old artificial racial constructs.

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.1.14  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.13    2 months ago

Amazingly many Americans and apparently many NT’s still believe in these centuries old artificial racial constructs.

It is societal and deeply based in the "roots" of the country.

I don't think it is as much "believe in them". We have not gotten to the point linguistically or as a society where we can disambiguate the skin color/features descriptively from the old and worn-out ideas of societal status. We are getting there, but we have not quite achieved it yet.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @1.1.14    2 months ago
It is societal and deeply based in the "roots" of the country.

Like religion.

We have not gotten to the point linguistically or as a society where we can disambiguate the skin color/features descriptively from the old and worn-out ideas of societal status.

Agree and folks on both ends of the spectrum seem to fight hard to perpetuate those worn-out ideas.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1.16  Drakkonis  replied to  Thomas @1.1.11    2 months ago
Race is a made up term, which the country has been trying to get out from under for a long Time

Whether your statement is right or wrong, how can it escape you that this is exactly the point Drinker is trying to make?

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.1.17  Thomas  replied to  Drakkonis @1.1.16    2 months ago

Do I have to disagree? 

The concept of race was descriptive based on observable features. Racists separate these people according to the observable characteristics with the addition of some nominally negative stereotypes.

The problem today is that one cannot simply make a distinction (ie, I am a white man.) without invoking some insidious echos of this in some of the people who hear the comment. Racists who use these descriptors in conversation intend for people to hear and respond to these insidious echos. I think that the majority of the population uses it as a visual cue to help sort things out. That is, it is merely a characteristic like being tall or short, lanky or stout. At least, I would hope this is the case. 

In this country we still have a ways to go before these terms lose their loaded connotations completely and become merely descriptors of fact instead of terms that some would use to separate us out in a negative way. To totally ignore the facts before our eyes would be a disservice to those who have been treated differently because they are visibly different. We are still having "firsts" and it appears as though we need to keep acknowledging them until the list of qualifiers subsequent to first becomes a bit longer. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 months ago

meh, the trump campaign was trying to get back in the news cycle. the incoming damage control will be hilarious...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 months ago
But this clown is actually saying this.  

And he succeeded at his task of changing the conversation momentum back to being all about him. He's the person that doesn't see bad press as a bad things as long as it's all about him. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 months ago

His remarks make him appear very stupid.  I guess that's not a consideration for his voters. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

I would say that his remarks illustrated that he is most definitely not the smartest person in that room and in most rooms.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

trump is a lot smarter than anyone that's going to vote for him in november...

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.3  Thomas  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago
His remarks make him appear very stupid.  I guess that's not a consideration for his voters. 

Unless you are a maga voter already. Then you just accept his premises on faith and the conclusions he draws are made some how sensible.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    2 months ago

I just watched the whole thang. It was so bad. Trump is political toast!

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3    2 months ago

MAGA Race experts seem to embrace race theory like Never Trump Race experts embrace race theory.  Who knew that they had this in common.