╌>

Tim Walz's Approval Rating Surges as JD Vance's Falls - Newsweek

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 months ago  •  27 comments

By:   Khaleda Rahman (Newsweek)

Tim Walz's Approval Rating Surges as JD Vance's Falls - Newsweek
Walz has a net favorability rating of +11, according to a survey conducted after Harris announced him as her running mate.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Khaleda Rahman National Correspondent

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz's approval rating has surged since he was announced as Vice President Kamala Harris' running mate, while RepublicanDonald Trump's pick, Ohio Senator JD Vance, has seen his fall, according to a poll.

A YouGov survey conducted on August 8, two days after Harris announced Walz as her vice presidential pick, found the governor with a net favorability rating of +11. That was up from a +1 net favorability in another YouGov survey conducted in late July.

Vance, on the other hand, has seen his approval rating drop since Trump announced him as his running mate on July 15.

The Republican's net favorability was -6 in a YouGov survey conducted between July 15 and July 19. It dropped to -9 in another survey conducted between July 22 and July 25.

A poll conducted by Marist Poll for NPR and PBS between August 1 and August 4 also had Vance's net favorability at -9 (34 percent favorable, 43 percent unfavorable). This was 5 points lower than in the same poll in July.

Vice presidential hopefuls Tim Walz, left, and JD Vance speaking at campaign rallies in Philadelphia earlier this week. Walz's approval rating has surged since he joined that Harris ticket, while Vance has seen his fall.Vice presidential hopefuls Tim Walz, left, and JD Vance speaking at campaign rallies in Philadelphia earlier this week. Walz's approval rating has surged since he joined that Harris ticket, while Vance has seen his fall.Andrew Harnik/Drew Hallowell

In late July, Vance faced backlash over comments he made in 2021 referring to certain female Democratic politicians as "childless cat ladies" with "no direct stake" in the country.

The Trump and Harris campaigns have been contacted for comment via email.

Vance has also faced scrutiny about his past comments about women in abusive relationships and abortion, as well as over his strong involvement with the Project 2025 plan for the next Republican administration by a coalition of conservative organizations that the Trump campaign has sought to distance itself from.

There has been speculation that Trump could try to swap out his running mate to better his chances of winning in November, though Trump's team has denied that the former president is regretting his choice.

Walz saw his national profile grow in the build up to being picked as Harris' running mate, after he dubbed Trump and Vance "just weird" in an MSNBC interview in July. The term went viral, and is now being repeatedly used by Harris' campaign and Democrats to attack the Republican candidates.

Walz returned to the line during his first campaign rally with Harris in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

"I grew up with in the heartland, JD studied at Yale, had his career funded by Silicon Valley billionaires and then wrote a bestseller trashing that community," Walz said. "Come on, that's not what Middle America is."

He added that he "can't wait" to debate Vance. "I got to tell you, pointing out just an observation of mine that I made. I just have to say it... these guys are creepy and, yes, just weird as hell."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 months ago

What did MAGAs expect when they attacked a good man's service? Americans are fairminded!

Again, please do keep attacking Walz's service...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    2 months ago

Vance's favorability is -6

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

squiggy
Junior Silent
2  squiggy    2 months ago

“We can make sure that those weapons of war, that I carried in war, is the only place where those weapons are at,” Walz says in the clip posted by Harris’ campaign on Tuesday.

Maybe Vance is watching too much TV?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  squiggy @2    2 months ago

That kind of low nitpicking will not and is not working for the MAGA against Harris - Walz because compared with their competition they are both honest decent likeable people. Trump and Vance are not...

original

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.2.1  squiggy  replied to  JBB @2.2    2 months ago

Walz had his fun with the fictitious couch story but when Walz acknowledges that Walz 'misspoke' about his history you pull out a Trump meme. It's not nitpicking to question what Walz said when he thought nobody would hear - character is about what you do when you think nobody's there.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  squiggy @2.2.1    2 months ago

In defense of Trump? Yes Sqiggy, in defense of Trump it is nitpicking and pickaune and low down and as lame as fuck.

So, keep on doing exactly what you are doing. It is working!

For Harris & Walz 2024...

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.2.3  squiggy  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    2 months ago

It has nothing to do with Trump. You put a hobbit in the altar and tried to pass him off as a hero. The whole Guard thing has had a black eye since Dan Quayle tried to get away with being 'just like' all the others in green. Nobody builds military acumen to the level of senior NCO wearing a uniform 38 days a year.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  squiggy @2.2.3    2 months ago

Trump is panicking and falling apart because polls are wrong?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.5  bugsy  replied to  JBB @2.2    2 months ago

It is when the Harris campaign dumped a press release saying he “misspoke”…..ie, lied

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    2 months ago

Several times now, I've seen Vance nicknamed "the albatross".  Seems fitting.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    2 months ago

I rewatched Hillbilly Elegy the other night. It is devastating for Vance in the context of being Presidential material. He is a total goofball...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

This seed is bragging about a 41% approval rating for Walz. Lol. 

And the survey was taken before it became clear that Walz lied about his service.

claiming to have been in war, pictured carrying a sign calling himself a "Operation Enduring Freedom Vet,"   allowing Pelosi, C-Span and other journalists to call him a combat veteran in public...

Oh yeah, and his CSM stating he went out of the chain of command to secure his ability to retire after he learned he was was going to deploy to Iraq...

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 months ago

You should probably get outside the MAGA bubble...

original

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 months ago

What does that have to do with Walz having a 41% approval rating before he it became public that he's a valor thief?

I get that most Democrats don't mind that thing, (see Senator Blumenthal) but it probably won't play well outside Blueanon circles. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    2 months ago

Walz's, a virtual unknown a week ago, is surging in popularity as Americans get to know him. Vance is doing the opposite...

The more MAGA attack Walz the more voters are liking him!

original

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    2 months ago
ore MAGA attack Walz the more voters are liking him!

Lol. Give it a week.  Thanks to twitter and the internet, the media can't cover up his lies forever.   WE know how this plays out, we just saw it happen with Biden. The Party and their allied media will tell the world not to believe their  eyes and ears (deepp fakes!)  when they see clips of Walz talking about himself.  As the evidence piles up, the Party will get shriller and shirller (Biden's as sharp as he ever was!, Walz is the most honest man in America!)..

If the numbers become too bad, they'll drop him like they did Biden. The progressive pawns will be given a new hero to worship and they will forget all about how ridciulous they looked shilling for Walz, just like they did for Biden. They will have a new pinup to moon over and post shitty memes about on the internet. So it was, so it will apparently ever be. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.3    2 months ago

I want to ask you a serious question. Do people look ridiculous shilling for Trump and Vance?  Your constant and unvarying attacks on every single thing Democrats say or do makes an observer think that you have a one track mind. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    2 months ago

Do people look ridiculous shilling for Trump and Vance?

Sure. It's ridculous to post memes of poltiicians dressed up as superheroes or other pr glam photos, or to deny reality to protect their heroes. Most of the people you consider MAGa have no problem criticizing Trump or Vance.  I don't think we have anyone on this site who treats Trump and Vance with the same hero worship that a number of people here  treat the Democrats of the day.  IF the Biden debacle didn't make that clear, nothing will. 

Your constant and unvarying attacks on every single thing Democrats

Don't you get mad when the supposedly independent media does anything other than attack Trump as harshly as possible?

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.5    2 months ago

Don't get mad, and please don't get the message either! What Trump, Vance and the MAGA are doing, how they are doing it and the things they are saying are having opposite their desired effects. A sea change is happening right now because of it...

Keep Doing What You're Doing!

original

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

Wonder what happens to Walz approval rating if actual journalists start doing journalism about his record?  I know they are too busy trying to determine which flags the wives of Supreme Court justices are flying, to actually look to basc research, but people on the internet are sure finding all sorts of examples of Walz portryaing himself as a combat veteran.  And when CNN actually tried to do some journalism, it backfires..

f people question whether there is bias in media, you should watch this clip. When the answers given by the subject of the interview do not match the narrative which the network would like to advance, the anchor terminates the interview using as an excuse that the subject’s time is valuable and the connection is choppy. Watch to the end and see for yourself whether these reasons are a pretext or whether this is good journalism and fairness in media.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 months ago

Read This...

MAGA in full attack mode are simultaneously demanding we,

original

Which is blowing up in MAGA's faces like dumbass stooges!

original Thus, Please Do Carry On...

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    2 months ago

Kaitlan Collins Taken Aback by John Bolton’s Criticism of JD Vance: ‘As Damning of a Comment That You Can Hear from a Republican’

I mean, I think he’s stuck with him now and I think these comments by Vance are really the 2024 counterpart of Hillary Clinton’s famous statement in the 2016 election where she called Trump’s supporters deplorables. I mean if politicians can’t learn it’s one thing to attack your opponent. It’s another thing to attack your opponent supporters and that’s just not a way to win friends and influence people. I don’t think Vance learned the lesson that Hillary Clinton unfortunately for herself, learned in 2016. That’s going to hurt Trump as you get closer to the election.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  CB @7    2 months ago

I keep advising the MAGA to be more positive and issues focused but they are intent on attacking Tim Walz's service record and being nasty and lying about Vice President Harris' past. I keep telling MAGAs to...

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @7.1    2 months ago

They keep lying about his service record, it's hateful and ignorant.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  CB  replied to  JBB @7.1    2 months ago

Yes, some conservatives don't seem to get it that while liberals have mutual and common business interests and transactions with them; we are not like them throughout and nor do we wish to be so. They should just live their lives, enjoy their place in this reality-the same as we try to do our reality, and stop all the demonizing, mocking, and passing of judgements. I don't when all this 'crapola' of conservatives and liberals clashing ceaselessly begin, but it would be nice if its 'root' which is despair would suffer a fatal chop off!

squiggy
Junior Silent
7.1.3  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    2 months ago

'They keep lying about his service record, it's hateful and ignorant."

Don't be too angry, I'm sure the DNC will eventually recognize reality.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.4  bugsy  replied to  squiggy @7.1.3    2 months ago

If anyone is lying about his service record, why did the Harris camp change his bio to what he actually retired as versus what he claimed initially?