╌>

One of the most violent’ Jan. 6 rioters receives a 20-year prison sentence

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 months ago  •  33 comments

By:   By Ryan J. Reilly

One of the most violent’ Jan. 6 rioters receives a 20-year prison sentence
David Dempsey assaulted officers on Jan. 6 and stood in front of a gallows, where he called for politicians to be hanged. His is among the longest Capitol riot sentences yet.

Photo credit - Law & Crime :

‘Political violence personified’: Jan. 6 defendant flashes ‘OK’ hand sign on way out of court after sentence for stomping on police at Capitol

Clockwise, from left: David Nicholas Dempsey gives an interview in front of gallows erected outside of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

Dempsey, indicated with red arrow, climbs over fellow rioters on Jan. 6 at the entryway to the U.S. Capitol’s lower west terrace tunnel before using a long pole to attack police.

Dempsey is seen clinging to tunnel frame and using feet to stomp on police officer’s heads on Jan. 6 (Department of Justice).

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — A Donald Trump supporter who stood in front of a gallows and spoke of his desire to hang Democratic politicians before he assaulted numerous police officers during   the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol   was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison Friday.

It’s the second-longest sentence handed out in a Jan. 6 case to date.

Prosecutors had sought more than 21 years (262 months) for David Dempsey,   saying   he “viciously” assaulted law enforcement officers at the lower west tunnel of the Capitol, where some of the worst violence took place that day.

According to prosecutors, Dempsey climbed over fellow rioters "like human scaffolding" and used "his hands, feet, flag poles, crutches, pepper spray, broken pieces of furniture, and anything else he could get his hands on" as weapons against police officers.

"Dempsey was one of the most violent rioters, during one of the most violent stretches of time, at the scene of the most violent confrontations at the Capitol on January 6, 2021," prosecutors wrote in their sentencing memo.

The 20-year sentence was imposed by Senior U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, a Ronald Reagan appointee who has   spoken out about the “preposterous” rhetoric some Republicans have used   as they attempt to “rewrite history” about the Jan. 6 attack. Lamberth has warned that “such meritless justifications of criminal activity” from politicians “could presage further danger to our country.”

Witnesses in court said that Dempsey, while being led out of court, appeared to flash an “okay” gesture with his fingers that has in recent years become a symbol of white supremacy and far-right causes.

Before he assaulted officers, Dempsey stood in front of a gallows that had been set up near the Capitol, which included a sign that said, "this is art." Dempsey, known to online sleuths as #FlagGaiterCopHater because of his American flag face covering and his assaults on officers, indicated he thought the gallows should be used to hang politicians he dubbed "worthless cretins" in video cited by prosecutors.

"String all these f---in’ worthless bastards up from the top of those," he said in the video, pointing to the gallows, "these treelines, the rafters, the rooftops, the statues, I don’t care where they go. String ’em up and string ’em up high. And let everybody know this is what happens when you are a treasonous piece of s--- who doesn’t belong in this f---in’ country and has this f---in’ country’s worst objective at heart."

Red Box Rules

Personal attacks, and other violations of the COC may be deleted without warning! 

But OTOH< "whaddaboudisms" and other really stupid comments may not be deleted at all but rather left to stay up for all the world to see what a total ass the commenter has made of him/her/them selves!!!!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Echoing his language about the “distortions and outright falsehoods” that Republican politicians have promoted about Jan. 6, Lamberth said he was concerned that Dempsey had “minimized” his conduct that day and tried to come up with non-factual justifications for his behavior.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @2    2 months ago

But there was no insurrection some NT folks will claim, it was just some tourists being rowdy.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 months ago
But there was no insurrection some NT folks will claim, it was just some tourists being rowdy.

And not only people on NT-- right after it happened I saw a member of Congress saying that they were basically just a (well-behaved) group of tourists!

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 months ago

If you go by CNN standards there was a mostly peaceful demonstration with a few violent bad actors.  They, along with some protesters are paying the price.  Can the same be said of the 2020 mostly peaceful protesters that were not so peaceful?  You know, the ones that Kamala helped raise bail for.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    2 months ago
 member of Congress saying that they were basically just a (well-behaved) group of tourists!

The accepted term for rioters is mostly peaceful protesters so he was close.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    2 months ago
And not only people on NT-- right after it happened I saw a member of Congress saying that they were basically just a (well-behaved) group of tourists!

And strange as it may seem, there was another politician (I forget who it was) who actually referred to David Dempsey & other imprisoned violent felons as "hostages"!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.4    2 months ago
And strange as it may seem, there was another politician (I forget who it was) who actually referred to David Dempsey & other imprisoned violent felons as "hostages"!

Very #weird-- just plain weird!  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.2    2 months ago
If you go by CNN standards there was a mostly peaceful demonstration with a few violent bad actors. 

Thank you for your comment. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.2    2 months ago
If you go by CNN standards

BTW you might want to check this out: up near the top there a box with a graphic of a tiny plant and the words:

SEEDED CONTENT

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @2.1.7    2 months ago

Thank you for your comment.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.8    2 months ago
Thank you for your comment.

You're very welcome! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.3    2 months ago
The accepted term for rioters is mostly peaceful protesters

accepted?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @2.1.10    2 months ago

The one that was repeated hundreds of times during the riots at least

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.4    2 months ago

#hostages? 

Nope-- they are convicted felons!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.12    2 months ago
"Nope-- they are convicted felons!"

Add them to the list. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.11    2 months ago
The one that was repeated hundreds of times during the riots at least

That should not be allowed!

Let's face it-- free speech sucks!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Lamberth called Dempsey’s behavior “exceptionally egregious” and said Dempsey was “dressed for battle” when he joined the mob trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power after President Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory.

“You failed, fortunately, for our country,” Lamberth said.

He added that Jan. 6 could have been even worse — “a bloodbath” — had rioters succeeded in their goal of getting to members of Congress who were certifying the presidential election results.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    2 months ago

American democracy unchained?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Dempsey was arrested  in connection with the Capitol attack in August 2021 and had previously been  charged in 2019  with dousing demonstrators in California with bear spray while he wore a "Make America Great Again" hat; he pleaded no contest in that case. He pleaded guilty in his Capitol attack case on Jan. 4.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    2 months ago

I bet he never imagined his actions would lead to 20 years worth of prison sex to look forward to.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 months ago
I bet he never imagined his actions would lead to 20 years worth of prison sex to look forward to.

Good point,

(There's never a shortage of lovers in prison!!!)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1    2 months ago

LOL.  Big Bubba is waiting for him.  He'd better bring a supply of Vaseline with him.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 months ago

How frequently do you think rapes occur in federal prisons?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2    2 months ago

Good question!

(I have no idea-- but I imagine many people would like to know!!!)

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    2 months ago

Maybe Hal thinks the Feds just consider it as part of the punishment.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    2 months ago
Good question! (I have no idea-- but I imagine many people would like to know!!!)

I'm also wondering-- is it more or less common in federal prisons that, say, state prisons?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2    2 months ago

I hear inmates will break your teeth out to protect themselves against getting their dicks bit off.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.2.4    2 months ago

If have unusual conversations.  

How does an inmate  breaking another’s teeth out protect them during oral sex?

Do you think that the Feds get off knowing about this or do they just se this as extra punishment?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.2.3    2 months ago

I doubt anyone has ever bothered to research that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.2.4    2 months ago

They won't have kitchen knives like Mrs. Bobbitt used.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.2.4    2 months ago
I hear inmates will break your teeth out to protect themselves against getting their dicks bit off.

So that's why they do it!

(Many people often wondered).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Krishna    2 months ago

Incidentally, this judge was a Ronald Reagan appointee!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Krishna @6    2 months ago

He has had some notable cases and lambasted the government in several to include calling the Department of the Interior “racist” during a NA case and the Fed Bureau of Prisons and the DOJ for legal abuse of a prisoner.