╌>

Arizona Republican Mayor Blasts 'Out Of Touch' GOP While Backing Kamala Harris

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tacos  •  2 months ago  •  19 comments

By:   AOL

Arizona Republican Mayor Blasts 'Out Of Touch' GOP While Backing Kamala Harris
At a campaign rally for the Democratic presidential nominee, Mesa's John Giles declared that he's "putting country over party."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

81c334e0-29b7-11eb-bbff-045e2582d1d2 Ben BlanchetAugust 10, 2024 at 10:59 AMdf25436ceea4855338105ce36c17103a

A GOP mayor in Arizona said he now doesn't "recognize" his party while speaking at a campaign rally for Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris in Glendale on Friday.

Mesa Mayor John Giles — who in 2022 was censured by a GOP committee after he endorsed Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) over Blake Masters, a challenger backed by former President Donald Trump — said his party has been "taken over by extremists that are committed to forcing people in the center of the political spectrum out of the [Republican] Party."

"So I have something to say to those of us who are in the political middle: You don't owe a damn thing to that political party," the Republican said at the rally, which attracted an estimated crowd of over 15,000 people.

"In particular, you do not owe anything to a party that is out of touch and is hell-bent on taking our country backward. And by all means, you owe no displaced loyalty to a candidate that is morally and ethically bankrupt."

The remarks from Giles, who has previously applauded Democratic President Joe Biden's White House and once warned that Trump wouldn't leave office if he were to win a second presidential term, arrives just days after the mayor called the current GOP ticket the "greatest threat to American values and institutions" that he's seen in his life.

Giles is a co-chair of the Republicans for Harris campaign committee and, in an op-ed published last month, said the Republican Party has a "moral and ethical responsibility to restore faith in our democratic institutions."

"I would say in the spirit of the great Sen. John McCain, please, please, please join me in putting country over party and stopping Donald Trump and protecting the rule of law, protecting our Constitution and protecting the democracy of this great country," Giles told the Glendale crowd.

Mesa, AZ Republican Mayor John Giles: I do not recognize my party. I have something to say to those of us who are in the middle: You don't owe a damn thing to that party. You don't owe anything to a party that is out of touch and hell-bent on taking us backward. And by all means,… pic.twitter.com/8vpQmdxsPx
— Acyn (@Acyn) August 9, 2024

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Tacos!    2 months ago

It’s hard to be in the political middle anymore. It used to be a good thing. We also used to want a decent human being leading us. For too many, that no longer matters.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 months ago

Not if everyone politically left of Goebbels is outcast from the gop!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 months ago

I am going to position myself in the political middle. . . others can join me there too! The 'air' is nice in the political Middle. As a pragmatist, I don't  care for being too far left because it creates unfixable problems for the long-term.  And, it goes without fanfare that I have no interest in going too far to the Right.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 months ago

only 8-10 years behind the curve is pretty good for the GOP. better late than never ...

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 months ago

What does it say that Trump voters believe "MAGA" is a slur?

So then, is it also a slur to call them "Republicans" now, too?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 months ago

The politics of the US is getting more bizarre by the day.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  Krishna    2 months ago

What? 

An intelligent politician?

I am shocked-- absolutely shocked I tell you!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    2 months ago

I saw clip today of far right US senator Mike Lee saying that Trump is a voice of moral authority. We are in uncharted territory LOL. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 months ago
I saw clip today of far right US senator Mike Lee saying that Trump is a voice of moral authority.

That’d be like me saying I have 5 arms.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 months ago

Trump, a moral "authority" - I bet Donald loves the notion. It's not true, nevertheless.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    2 months ago

This TDS driven moron wouldn't recognize the current Republican party.

He expects his party to sit there and quietly take Democrat BS w/o responding; and roll over and beg for their belly to be scratched by Democrats once the elections are over. 

He is more interested in "getting something, anything, done" than actually serving his constituents.

If he thinks four more years of Democrat rule will do this country any good- then he just become a Democrat already.

Establishment sellouts aren't needed anymore on the right.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 months ago

That’s exactly what he’s talking about. You’ve just made his point. You’re prioritizing party over country.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    2 months ago

Which country?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2  Gsquared  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 months ago

Just storm troopers and concentration camp guards.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 months ago

he’s been campaigning for democrats for years.  With kinzinger having some personal issues made public, he might be able to replace him asa professional “republican” who only parrots Democratic talking points,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

I'd love to know how Liz Chaney and Mitt Romney intend to vote.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    2 months ago
I'd love to know how Liz Chaney and Mitt Romney intend to vote.

Cheney is actually very conservative-- a true conservative (but she has principles and would never vote for a sleaze and a con artist like Trump). I wonder-- would she possibly not vote for a president this time around?

Also possible Romney.

I can't see either of them voting for Trump-- but I don't think either would vote for a Democrat for president either.

May leave "President" blank but make a lot of down ballot choices?

(I could almost see Romney vote Harris-- but probably not)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @7.1    2 months ago
I could almost see Romney vote Harris-- but probably not

I think he will.   I would bet that he realizes that Trump losing (and losing big, if possible) would be the best medicine for the GOP's Trump infection.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @7.1    2 months ago

Thanks for your opinions on that, Krishna and TiG.  Actually I could see Cheney voting for Harris, cause it's a vote against Trump, and a lesson to be learned by the Republican Party.