╌>

Why do some people like extremely spicy food?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 months ago  •  42 comments

By:   Alexandra Byrne and Steven Romo

Why do some people like extremely spicy food?
Whether the spice they seek is fiery or acidic and sour, humans can be drawn to the perceived danger of extreme foods.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When 36-year-old Nelson Cheney was little, he began eating spicy peppers and sauces to impress his dad. Years later, he still consumes these foods, only now for his 1.1 million followers on TikTok.

Cheney, known by his social media handle "@craving_capsaicin" — a nod to the chemical compound that gives chili peppers their heat — got hooked on the adrenaline rush he feels when he eats extremely spicy foods.

"For me, it is a way of life," Cheney said. "I love chasing that endorphin dump. I love the feeling when I beat a challenge and get all pumped up. … It's kind of like winning a race."

Scientists say he's not the only one.

Whether the spice they seek is fiery or acidic and sour, humans can be drawn to the perceived danger of extreme foods. Like watching a horror movie, the experience stimulates a fight-or-flight response during which the brain releases endorphins and dopamine, hormones that make people feel good. After the brain determines everything is safe, there's a sense of accomplishment in overcoming a dangerous situation.

"These challenges are really drawing people in who have that psychological affinity — sensation-seeking, reward-seeking types of behaviors. So the more dangerous it is, the more thrilling it is," said Elisa Trucco, director of the Research on Adolescent and Child Health Lab at Florida International University.

Both sour and spicy foods generate painful responses, though they activate different nerves in the body. When saliva breaks down spicy food, capsaicin travels to the throat, nose and esophagus and activates nerves involved in the sense of touch, said Robert Pellegrino, a postdoctoral fellow at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia. The ensuing pain is similar to touching a hot stove.

"You can feel spice everywhere," Pellegrino said.

On the other hand, sourness activates taste nerves. When people eat sour foods, the body initiates a pain reaction because it detects an acidic substance that could be harmful if ingested.

In both cases, the brain can override the initial pain reaction. Paul Rozin, a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, attributes this override to humans' ability to differentiate between serious and "benign" pain. Eating moderate amounts of spice is generally safe, he said, but even so, the body treats it as a health threat.

"That's where the pleasure comes, from the fact that you're overriding your body's signal not to do this," Rozin said.

In addition, people often film these food challenges on social media, which triggers a similar dopamine release, because it's designed to positively reinforce our behavior through likes and follows.

"I think a lot has to do with the status, the popularity and the feedback that you get from other people," Trucco said.Cheney, a sheet metal worker by day, said he enjoys the community he has created online, which he views as a result of his passion for growing and eating peppers.

"I've got so many people that went from not even eating hot stuff to having a tolerance and now eating spicy food daily. So it's cool to get people joining in with me," Cheney said.

While all these feel-good hormones may satisfy some individuals' cravings, extreme food challenges have faced backlash amid several deadly incidents. Last year, a teen died in Massachusetts after attempting to eat a tortilla chip packed with chili pepper extract for a social media challenge. Extremely sour foods can also have harmful consequences: In April, a 10-year-old girl in the U.K. suffered burns in her throat after ingesting supersour candy she saw in a TikTok video.

Dr. Edwin McDonald, a gastroenterologist at the University of Chicago Medical Center, emphasized that while spicy and sour foods are safe in moderation, extreme spice could mean a hospital trip.

"Consuming some foods that have capsaicin in it may be associated with increasing longevity and decreasing the risk of cancer," McDonald said. "But these are not the peppers that people are doing in the challenge."

Extreme eating challenges can be dangerous for those with underlying medical conditions such as high blood pressure and asthma, said Dr. Chantel Strachan, an internal medicine physician and assistant professor at Columbia University's Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons. Because of the uncertainty, Strachan advised thinking twice before participating, and consulting a doctor ahead of time.

"Unfortunately, we usually find out after a first attempt how you react to these substances," she said.

Children and teens tend to be most susceptible to social media challenges, which is why Trucco said parents should pay attention, too.

"The way these challenges are depicted, it's very glamorized, you only see the benefits," Trucco said. "As a parent, it's really important to be aware of what they are and have those open conversations with your children."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    2 months ago

I like my hot Hatch chile. I stay away from the dynamite. That only goes in my white chicken chili for my co-workers

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    2 months ago

cooking food to my preference when my kids were young got me out of the shared cooking responsibilities. the ex would always claim that the kids would never eat it the way I liked it. now all 3 of my adult children prepare or eat food so spicy that I can't even eat it. there are neighborhoods in denver where the air is filled with the aroma of roasting hatch chilies for a few weeks in the fall.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 months ago

heaven

My children grew up in with parents that liked spicy food. The daughter won't touch it today. The son will, tho

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    2 months ago

I am super sensitive to Cayenne Pepper. Just a hint tastes great but breaks me out in a soaking full body sweat especially my head and hair. Too much is unbearable.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    2 months ago

all my kids are awesome cooks. since I had to teach their mother how, I have no idea where they got their skills...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    2 months ago

My daughter can can cook and has come up with the best cheese dip ever! And no Velveeta! She also makes the best guacamole. It's my recipe but she improved it. However, SIL does most of the cooking.

My son can cook and very well. He had to learn because his ex-wife was a disaster in the kitchen

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    2 months ago
He had to learn because his ex-wife was a disaster in the kitchen

... uh, yeah. my long term relationship priorities were a bit messed up when I was that age too.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    2 months ago

maybe you're allergic to it ...

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.7  JBB  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    2 months ago

I have wondered that...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    2 months ago

The squirrels in my backyard are exactly the same.  We use cayenne pepper powder to keep them out of the bird food.  They do a funny little dance after ingesting some, what do you do?

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1.9  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.8    2 months ago
The squirrels in my backyard

are all nutz from some crazy neighbors feeding them cayenne pepper powder chowder that makes em allowed to get louder than most, and "what do you do" ? Well, often the hokkie pokie till i turn myself around as my head spins after ingesting them crazy pepper indulging varmentsm that after eaten, hang on you like garments not fitting well, and often smell

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    2 months ago

I love white chicken chili, but I don't use hatch peppers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

Although I live in the spicy hotpot capital of the world, Chongqing, I can't handle the feeling of my mouth catching on fire, so if we ever go to a hotpot restaurant (and there are thousands of them here) they have to put a divider in the pot so my side of it is not anywhere close to the spiciness of the normal side.

61AUBf08zrL._AC_SL1000_

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 months ago

This is a required vegetable in Chongqing restaurants and homes:

ripe-red-hot-chili-peppers-vegetable-isolated-white-background_299651-2869.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    2 months ago

love em in chinese food

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 months ago

18 years and I STILL can't handle it.  LOL

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 months ago

I like spicy food, I dont know what makes something extra spicy.  Kung Pao Chicken with those little Chinese hot peppers in it is good eating. I have also been known to eat habanero  peanuts, which I enjoyed. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

I like spicey food. Unfortunately, people who like spicey food are in the minority.

New spicey foods never last long.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 months ago

Try them wasabi peas...really good. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @4.1    2 months ago

wasabi makes sushi ...

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    2 months ago

I prefer pickled herring and boiled taters with dill on the smorgasbord.  Thanks, but I'll stick with horseradish (different kind of burn).

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @5    2 months ago

My father loved pickled herring and ate it every New Years eve. My sister and I tried to revive the tradition a couple years ago and I couldnt take it.  Pickled herring and horseradish is an acquired taste to say the least. 

Good for you. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    2 months ago
My father loved pickled herring and ate it every News Year eve. My sister and I tried to revive the tradition a couple years ago and I couldnt take it.  Pickled herring and horseradish is an acquired taste to say the least. 

When I first moved to Minnesota, pickled herring was always available on the salad bar.  The jarred stuff isn't as good as fresh made.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    2 months ago

I like it on bakery rye bread of course, with some butter or cream cheese on the bread.  Then  spread the pickled herring on top and add red onion slices, capers, dill and a squeeze of fresh lemon.  Wash it down with aquavit or vodka.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nerm_L @5    2 months ago

Horseradish sauce is great with a shrimp cocktail, roast beef and gefilte fish.  I also like a little wasabi mixed into soy sauce as a dip for sliced smoked salmon.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.2.1  Thomas  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    2 months ago

I love horseradish and wasabi. 

My friend and I were at my grandmothers house when I young. I opened up the refrigerator to look for some food and I found a jar of fresh horseradish. I turned to my friend who was curious, never having tried horseradish before.

I said, "Sniff it," thinking he would just be experimental. He stuck his nose in the jar and took a big snort. I tell ya, he looked like a terrified cat, eyes wide open, then the cringe when the tingles felt like they were taking his scalp off.

I love that sensation.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @5.2.1    2 months ago

Growing up, I had a Jewish friend, my first, whose mother made Chrain or horseradish.  She added beet juice to this very pungent condiment both for Passover and also year round.  Loved it on tongue sandwiches that I would trade for with her son.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @5.2.1    2 months ago

The wasabi stings the interior top of my nostrils - an unforgettable experience.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    2 months ago

Blue Diamond almonds come in a soy and wasabi flavor that has a nice little bite to it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.4    2 months ago

Thanks for that info.  I'm going to look for them next time I'm in the supermarket or the METRO big box store.

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    2 months ago

I used to like spicy food, but I can't eat it anymore.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  evilone @6    2 months ago

I eat it, but end up needing Prilosec.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    2 months ago

25 years ago my labor crew used plain table salt to take the bite out of spicy foods.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    2 months ago
Prilosec.

For me it's Imodium. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.2    2 months ago

For spicy Chinese or Indian, I like to pair it with Gewürztraminer, Viognier, Muscat, Pinot Gris and Riesling wines.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @6    2 months ago

I like green chili that will cure the common cold and son number 2 shares that dietary requirement. a female acquaintance of mine carries a bottle of tabasco in her purse.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @6.2    2 months ago

[]

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    2 months ago

I like spicy food but not as hot as I used to

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8  cjcold    2 months ago

Have loved hot food my whole life. Grow at least one habanero plant in my garden and use most of the peaches off the tree every year which are used to make my famous (infamous) peach hot sauce (peachanero). That sauce is to die for!

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9  Igknorantzruls    2 months ago

i always enjoyed the Spice channel no 5

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9    2 months ago

... very retro cable, iggy...

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @9.1    2 months ago

30+ years ago I got involved in a catholic church scandal in denver over complimentary cable services available in clergy housing. shock and disbelief were the emotions expressed by the majority in judgement, to me, it was fucking hilarious...