╌>

Harris campaign editing news headlines in her favor — without outlets' knowledge: report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 months ago  •  46 comments

By:   Katherine Donlevy Published (New York Post)

Harris campaign editing news headlines in her favor — without outlets' knowledge: report
Vice President Kamala Harris' campaign team has been editing news headlines in Google search results in her favor, Axios reported.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Vice President Kamala Harris' campaign team has been silently editing news headlines in Google search results to make it seem like major news outlets are on her side, according to a report.

The altered headlines — all paired with a "Paid for by Harris for President" banner — were changed without the news outlets' knowledge, Axios reported Tuesday.

Nearly a dozen publishers were swept up in the faux headline campaign, including major companies like the Guardian, Reuters, CBS News, the Associated Press and PBS.

6Kamala Harris' campaign team has been altering headlines to appear more in her favor, according to a report. POOL/AFP via Getty Images6The altered headlines — all paired with a "Paid for by Harris for President" banner — were changed without the news outlets' knowledge, Axios reported Tuesday. Google Ads transparency

Even smaller publications like North Dakota's WDay Radio also saw their headlines changed.

The ads include links to real articles from news outlets, but the headlines and descriptive text had been edited to cast a supportive light on the 59-year-old presidential hopeful.

6The outlets claimed they did not know their stories were affected by the campaign. Google Ads transparency6The headlines also called out Republican nominee Donald Trump. Google Ads transparency

For example, one ad that ran alongside an article from the Guardian shows a headline that reads "VP Harris Fights Abortion Bans - Harris Defends Repro Freedom" and includes supporting text underneath the headline that reads, "VP Harris is a champion for reproductive freedom and will stop Trump's abortion bans."

Another linking to an NPR story reads, "Harris Will Lower Health Costs," with supporting text that says, "Kamala Harris will lower the cost of high-quality affordable health care," Axios reported.

Spokespeople from the affected companies like CNN, USA Today and NPR — all of which have published flattering content about Harris in recent weeks — said they had no idea the companies were tied up in the campaign.

6Nearly a dozen publishers were swept up in the faux headline campaign, including major companies like the Guardian, Reuters, CBS News, the Associated Press and PBS. Joe Rondone/The Arizona Republic via USA TODAY Network / USA TODAY NETWORK

"While we understand why an organization might wish to align itself with the Guardian's trusted brand, we need to ensure it is being used appropriately and with our permission. We'll be reaching out to Google for more information about this practice," a Guardian spokesperson said.

Though misleading, the tactic does not violate Google's policies because the fake ads are prominently labeled as "sponsored" and "easily distinguishable from search results."

6Google says the tactic does not violate its policies. Google Ads transparency

The shocking report comes as Harris is hiding from the very same press that she is desperately trying to skew in her favor.

The former California attorney general has refused to do significant interviews or news appearances since winning the presidential nomination more than three weeks ago.

The Harris campaign did not respond to The Post's request for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

The Harris campaign has found another way to deceive America.

As if having the media on her side weren't enough.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

AA1oMKhF.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

You do not appear to have any problems finding media not supporting Harris.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.2    2 months ago

This is dirty shit.

If the Trump campaign did it we be hearing about it nonstop.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    2 months ago

I don't believe it for a second.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.2    2 months ago

Nit even the media outlets that are affected are denying it; nor is Google. 

So they are all lying in your eyes?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

So you think that Fox News isn't media?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @1.3    2 months ago

If you watched Fox News you would know that democrats go on there without fear of gotcha questions or harassment.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

LOL You think Trump doesn't do the same thing? Catch-n-kill ring any bells? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @1.4    2 months ago

Bull Shit 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.4.2  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @1.4    2 months ago

Show us where he has changed headlines to be in his favor without the knowledge of the original publisher.

We can wait.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.4.3  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @1.4.2    2 months ago
Show us where he has changed headlines to be in his favor without the knowledge of the original publisher.

Why do you think he has 34 felony counts? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.4.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @1.4.3    2 months ago
Why do you think he has 34 felony counts?

It isn't for changing headlines (which is the topic)

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.4.5  MrFrost  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.4.4    2 months ago

It isn't for changing headlines (which is the topic)

He attempted to hide a story/information from the public, same difference. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.6  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @1.4.3    2 months ago

Because a Democrat DA and judge violated the law by allowing a case to proceed where the statue of limitation had run out on the charges; and allowing a state court to prosecute a federal law in violation of the Constitution of the US.

Or are you suddenly now in favor of states enforcing federal laws; and will support Texas and other southern states in their enforcement of our borders and immigration laws?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.7  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @1.4.5    2 months ago

BS.

In that were a crime then the Clintons both would have been in prison long ago.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.4.8  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @1.4.6    one month ago
Because a Democrat DA and judge violated the law by allowing a case to proceed where the statue of limitation had run out on the charges; and allowing a state court to prosecute a federal law in violation of the Constitution of the US.

LMAO!!!! 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

Isn't it amazing that 40% of Americans polled believe they can trust Harris as compared to 25% for Trump. 

I have very little hope left for this country as the majority of people seem to be too stupid to continue. One wonders how they remember to breath.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.5    2 months ago

And to think once upon a time you were a "moderate". 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.5    2 months ago
Isn't it amazing that 40% of Americans polled believe they can trust Harris as compared to 25% for Trump.

All based on a smile and vibes.

I have very little hope left for this country as the majority of people seem to be too stupid to continue.

The country may be long gone.

One wonders how they remember to breath.

They don't know what reality is anymore.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.5.3  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.5.1    2 months ago

I'm much more of a moderate than you want to give me credit for, but one can only take so much abuse and injury for not burning the orange man in effigy before one just says fuck it all. You are correct in one statement however, this is a degraded country. Problem is those who bitch about it refuse to acknowledge their part in it all.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.5.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.5.3    2 months ago

Trump is the most unfit for office major party candidate in American history.  That means something to some people. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.5.5  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.5.4    2 months ago

Only to those who forget about Joe Biden

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.5.6  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @1.5    2 months ago

Trump has a long and well documented history of lying, this doesn't shock me in the least. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.5.7  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @1.5.6    2 months ago

Yet less than half the country trusts Harris. With Trump's history of lying, why isn't the numbers for Harris higher? That's the shocking part to me, that her number is that low. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.5.8  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @1.5.7    2 months ago
Yet less than half the country trusts Harris.

You know how polls are...I doubt it's less than half overall. Either way, there are those that take everything trump says as an absolute truth...he calls her a  liar one time and they will fall for it 100%. 

Besides, name me a politician that never lies? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.5.9  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @1.5.8    2 months ago

So because all politicians lie for political reasons, we should just accept it? Why should we not expect better from our political leadership? Why do we let them get away with it? 

With the attitude of all politicians lie so why get worked up about it, then you get the government you deserve. So there are some who accept any lie that Trump says as truth, just as there are some who will accept any lie from any other politician and not get worked up. Why? Why do you accept lies from your political leadership? Do you not want a better government?

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.5.10  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @1.5.9    2 months ago
Why should we not expect better from our political leadership? Why do we let them get away with it? 

These days, it's getting harder and harder to get away with lying. Little by little they ARE being held accountable.. The problem is partisanship, some just refuse to believe that their candidate lies. 

Do you not want a better government?

Of course. I recognize that Harris lies, and trump lies. So what do I do personally? Fact check that shit. Sadly, there are some that say even the fact checkers are partisan...and all I can to say to that is good luck. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.5.11  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.5.4    2 months ago

Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and now Kamala Harris.

All unfit to serve in any capacity- all Democrat nominees- all 3 handed the nomination by the Democrat party.

At least Republicans allow Democracy to work in their primaries.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.5.12  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @1.5.11    2 months ago
Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and now Kamala Harris.

You're right, they should have resorted to petty name calling and childish antics, that's what the GOP respects.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

I’m old enough to remember when democrats called disinformation  a threat to democracy.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 months ago

I’m old enough to remember when democrats called disinformation  a threat to democracy.

I'm old enough to remember when republicans cared about the middle class. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    2 months ago

You think Democrats care about the middle class?

shrinking-1913772

A study based on government data released by the Washington-based nonpartisan fact tank in late May found that the share of Americans living in middle-class households dropped from 61 percent in 1971 to 51 percent in 2023. During the same time, the share of Americans living in lower income households rose from 27 percent to 30 percent, while that of individuals living in upper income households rose from 11 percent to 19 percent. The findings show us that the wealth gap between Americans has grown deeper in the past decades, exacerbating inequality. While households in all income tiers had much higher incomes in 2023 than five decades before, the income for upper-income households has grown at a much faster pace than that for the middle class since the 1970s.

ew Americans say President Joe Biden’s policies have provided a lot of help to middle-class families – or to poor or wealthy families for that matter. The   Monmouth (“Mon-muth”) University Poll   also finds that worries about the impact of inflation on Americans’ pocketbooks have ebbed but it remains a top concern.

Just 10% of Americans say middle-class families have benefited a lot from Biden’s policies so far while 51% say the middle class has not benefited at all. In the first months of his term, more said the middle class benefited a lot (19% in June 2021) and fewer said not at all (36%). Biden’s current numbers are similar to where former President Donald Trump stood in the first year of his administration (11% a lot and 53% not at all in December 2017), but those results improved by the end of his term (32% a lot and 32% not at all).

Former President Barack Obama left office with ratings of 24% a lot and 33% not at all on how his policies helped the middle class. Of note, 44% of Democrats said Obama helped the middle class a lot in January 2017, but only 21% say the same about Biden now. Among independents, 36% said Obama did not help the middle class at all. Today, about 6 in 10 independents (59%) say the same about Biden. When asked about the current president’s impact on other economic groups, 28% say Biden’s policies have benefited wealthy families a lot and 29% say not at all, and 17% say his policies have benefited poor families a lot and 42% say not at all.

But for the middle class the scars of the recession still run deep. Federal Reserve survey data show families in the middle fifth of the income scale now earn less and their net worth is lower than when Obama took office.
In the six years through 2013, over the recession and recovery that have spanned Obama's tenure, jobs have been added at the top and bottom of the wage scale, a Reuters analysis of labor statistics shows. In the middle, the economy has shed positions - whether in traditional trades like machining or electrical work, white-collar jobs in human resources, or technical ones like computer operators.

Democrats don't give a fuck about the middle class any more than Republicans do. Their sheeple just believe their lies more.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.1    2 months ago
You think Democrats care about the middle class?

Yea, Raygun's trickle down economics really helped the middle class. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.2    2 months ago
Yea, Raygun's trickle down economics really helped the middle class. 

Of course Clinton’s, Obama’s and Biden’s policies have more than undone that 40 year old damage!

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.2    2 months ago

... it's still trickling down.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @2.1.4    2 months ago

If you are being trickled on, change positions.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

This is like the shit when you have a site that carries another site.

You have to pay attention to get to the real site.

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 months ago

Rule #1 of the internet: Don't Click on Ads. Ever. If it looks interesting, put it in your browsers search field. If it's in you Email, Don't click it. Just don't. I don't care if it promises to show racy pics of Miranda Devine: Don't click it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Thomas @3.1    2 months ago

don't care if it promises to show racy pics of Miranda Devine: Don't click it.

Don’t tell us you did.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.2  George  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    2 months ago

But the Nigerian prince said I won the lottery!

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.3  Thomas  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    2 months ago

Whenever possible, I block all adds and I never click on them. They can do more than just take you to a page that wants money, they can take you to a site that downloads malicious cookies onto your device. 

I don't usually block ads here, and it is quite annoying, but the ads here help Perrie pay for this place. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Thomas @3.1.3    2 months ago

Agree one hundred. Even on the shopping sites if I see something that says ‘sponsored’ I will avoid because more than likely it is some sort of scam. Maybe not but better safe than sorry

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thomas @3.1    2 months ago

Easier said than done. An Ad is not always easy to identify for people in a rush.

Search for something like "Walmart Photo." See where it takes you. Usually, the official Walmart site is third down on the list. The top line in very small print is the actual site and somehow CVS topped the list.

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.6  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    2 months ago

Every search you do with google, the first three or four items are going to be ads. and the bottom of the page is the same. 

Lately I have noticed that if you ask a question the Google version of AI will be at the top

Thomas
Masters Guide
4  Thomas    2 months ago

So, I haven't seen these, but it looks like standard click-bait to me. It is an add. Buy a good add blocker. 

I assume that somebody has clicked on one of these adds. Where does it take you?

Vice President Kamala Harris' campaign team has been editing news headlines in Google search results in her favor, Axios reported.

That isn't how the adds are constructed. They don't edit the Headline, they wrote copy and put a link in to NPR or the Guardian, etc., that probably takes you through a page where you are asked if you want to donate, then on to the article that may or may not actually be about the reason that you clicked on it. Advertisers have been doing this for years. If you don't want to go down the rabbit hole, don't click on the ad.