╌>

Medicare costs lowered for 10 drugs, including diabetes prescriptions

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 months ago  •  22 comments

By:   Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

Medicare costs lowered for 10 drugs, including diabetes prescriptions
The Biden administration said Thursday that it had reached an agreement with drugmakers to lower prices on the 10 costliest prescription drugs under Medicare.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Biden administration said Thursday that it had reached an agreement with drugmakers to lower prices on the 10 costliest prescription drugs under Medicare.

It's part of the federal government's first-ever drug pricing negotiations, a cost reduction it claims could help ease the financial burden on the estimated 1 in 7 older adults in the U.S. struggling to pay for their medications.

Here are the negotiated prices for the drugs, based on a 30-day supply:

• Eliquis, a blood thinner from Bristol Myers Squibb and Pfizer: $231 negotiated price, down from $521 list price.
  • Xarelto, a blood thinner from Johnson & Johnson: $197 negotiated price, down from $517 list price.
  • Januvia, a diabetes drug from Merck: $113 negotiated price, down from $527 list price.
  • Jardiance, a diabetes drug from Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly: $197 negotiated price, down from $573 list price.
  • Enbrel, a rheumatoid arthritis drug from Amgen: $2,355 negotiated price, down from $7,106 list price.
  • Imbruvica, a drug for blood cancers from AbbVie and Johnson & Johnson: $9,319 negotiated price, down from $14,934 list price.
  • Farxiga, a drug for diabetes, heart failure and chronic kidney disease from AstraZeneca: $178 negotiated price, down from $556 list price.
  • Entresto, a heart failure drug from Novartis: $295 negotiated price, down from $628 list price.
  • Stelara, a drug for psoriasis and Crohn's disease from J&J: $4,695 negotiated price, down from $13,836 list price.
  • Fiasp and NovoLog, diabetes drugs from Novo Nordisk: $119 negotiated price, down from $495 list price.

The new negotiated prices were compared to the 2023 list prices of the drugs.

It's important to note that these numbers do not represent a direct comparison between the new negotiated prices and what Medicare and enrollees would have originally paid, said Stacie Dusetzina, a health policy professor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. The list price is the full retail price of a medication and doesn't include any discounts or rebates a drug company may have offered.

Still, Dusetzina said, these are "pretty big discounts."

"I think that it shows that they're taking these negotiations very seriously and they're trying to get much lower prices," she said.

The lower prices are the result of months of heated negotiations between the federal government and drugmakers over the pricey medications.

The prices won't take effect until 2026, but the measure is a landmark for Medicare. The federal government has never been able to directly haggle with drugmakers over the prices of their prescription drugs.

"It is a historic moment," White House domestic policy adviser Neera Tanden said on a call with reporters Wednesday night. "Millions of seniors and others on Medicare will soon see their drug costs go down on some of the most common and expensive drugs that treat heart disease, cancer, diabetes, blood costs and more."

Medicare provides health insurance coverage to more than 65 million people in the U.S.

On Wednesday's call, administration officials said the new negotiated prices are projected to save Medicare enrollees $1.5 billion in out-of-pocket costs in the first year.

The negotiations — as mandated under the Inflation Reduction Act — began in earnest in January, when Medicare presented its opening prices to drugmakers.

The $1.5 billion is in addition to the savings from other provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act, which include a $35 monthly cap on the out-of-pocket cost of insulin and an annual cap on out-of-pocket prescription drug costs, officials said.

Officials said the negotiations are also expected to save Medicare $6 billion in the first year.

Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra described the negotiations as "intense" Wednesday.

"I had the privilege to work closely with our HHS team to oversee the negotiations," Becerra said. "It took both sides to reach a good deal."

Drugmakers fight lowered prices

The federal government will have until March 2025 to publish an explanation of how it reached the negotiated prices. If a drugmaker refused to negotiate, they faced a tax penalty, which could be lifted if the drugmaker chose to withdraw their drug from the Medicare program.

All of the drugmakers subject to negotiations have been asked for comment.

A spokesperson for Novartis called the negotiations "unconstitutional."

It "will have long-lasting and devastating consequences for patients by limiting access to medicines now and in the future," the spokespersons said in a statement.

In a statement, Steve Ubl, the president and CEO of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the drug industry's trade group, said the Biden administration is using the negotiations to "drive political headlines."

"There are no assurances patients will see lower out-of-pocket costs," he said.

The administration plans to leverage the negotiations to bolster Vice President Kamala Harris' campaign ahead of the presidential election against former President Donald Trump. Harris and President Joe Biden are scheduled to appear together Thursday to tout the savings from the program.

Wednesday's call included Becerra, Tanden and Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

Worried about unaffordable medications

A study published Wednesday in JAMAfound that more than half of older adults reported being very concerned about the costs of medical care and prescription drugs ahead of the election.

Nearly 9 in 10 adults ages 65 and older say they take at least one prescription drug, according to KFF, a nonprofit group that researches health policy issues.

An analysis from the Commonwealth Fund, a nonprofit health care research institute, found that U.S. retail prices — prices pharmacists charge to patients or insurers before discounts or rebates — for the 10 selected drugs were three to eight times higher compared with prices in other countries of similar size and wealth.

Together, the 10 selected drugs accounted for more than $50 billion of Medicare Part D spending from June 1, 2022, to May 31, 2023, or 20%, according to the CMS.

Medicare recipients spent $3.4 billion out of pocket for those drugs in 2022, with average out-of-pocket spending for the most expensive drugs as high as $6,497 per enrollee, according to the agency.

The 10 negotiated drugs are just the start: In 2027, negotiated prices will go into effect for 15 more drugs, followed by another 15 drugs in 2028 and 20 more in each subsequent year. It's possible that seniors could save even more in the next few years.

The outcome could be jeopardized if the drugmakers succeed in their lawsuits to block the law, which have so far been unsuccessful.

"It's a big deal that they reached an agreement with all 10 drugmakers," Dusetzina wrote in an email. "No one opted to leave Medicare and Medicaid in protest over their negotiated prices. That's a success!"

The negotiations are limited to drugs under Medicare Part D, which covers medications used at home.

In the coming years, however, drugs under Medicare Part B, which are administered in medical facilities — such as chemotherapy drugs — will also be subject to negotiation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1  SteevieGee    2 months ago

Thank you President Biden!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @1    2 months ago

oh no!!! how will big pharma companies be able to pay all those 7 and 8 figure executive salaries and bonuses???

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2  MrFrost    2 months ago

Thank you Joe Biden! 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    2 months ago
  • Jardiance, a diabetes drug from Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly: $197 negotiated price, down from $573 list price.

My SIL is thrilled, she will save $752 a month, that is substantial to old retired peeps living off of Social Security

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @3    2 months ago

I hope it works out for her but can you come back after it goes into effect and let us know how it's working? There's also the co-pays & premiums that are not yet mentioned so it's at this point unknown how much money the individual person will save vs the insurance company will save when they purchase the drug from the manufacture.  I will say it's about damn time that Social Security is allowed to negotiate prices, Congress had that locked up too long.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    2 months ago
Congress had that locked up too long

.... republicans had that locked up too long.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    2 months ago
I hope it works out for her but can you come back after it goes into effect and let us know how it's working?

Well we shall see who wins the election.  If Harris wins, I have no doubt the changes will take place.

If Trump wins, I would bet it's reversed rather quickly after "Day One".

I hope it works out for her.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.2    2 months ago

Not so sure Trump would try to back out of this. Congress changed the law and I think it would be much more difficult to back out of this. If Trump were to try (thinking he has nothing to lose) I'm not so sure that Congress would follow along as they will want to be re-elected and cutting this now would IMO be a political death sentence.

I do hope it works out, (A) it's about time and (B) there are a lot of seniors who could benefit from this.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.3    2 months ago
Congress changed the law and I think it would be much more difficult to back out of this.

Congress also failed to make this effective immediately and made the effective date 41 months in the future

(January 2026)  so the Big Pharma windfalls will continue and we have all

seen how Constitutional rights can come and go with this particular SCOTUS.  And who has deeper pockets

than Big Pharma to keep suing the government ad nauseum hoping for that one case they can take to SCOTUS?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    2 months ago

I understand that Big Pharma has sued and lost 7 times since the bill was passed 2 years ago, hence the negotiated surrender.

shona1
Professor Quiet
5  shona1    2 months ago

Morning... just compared $$ here to what you have to pay for all those drugs... someone is making a hell of a profit..

Here is AUS $...

Imbruvica $38.80 concession $6.70

Eliquis $30.60 concession $6.70

All the other drugs are the same price as the eliquis..so in US$ that is $21.40 and concession $4.47.

The only other different one is Fiasp which is $31.60 US$ 21.08..

Yet they make it sound like you have a bargain... something is drastically wrong somewhere...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @5    2 months ago

I find myself asking why did Biden wait until the end of his term in office to bring prices down? Drug prices have been outrageous since he took office!  I think he could have brought them down a lot sooner if he had wanted to. It was the same under Trump.

shona1
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  shona1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    2 months ago

Evening Ed... sounds like your whole medical system hospital and medicines seems out of control...

The costs are astronomical and out of reach of so many people..

I have chewed my way through hundreds of thousands of dollars for hospital stays and treatments and it has not cost me one cent..

$240,000 alone in medications all free..I count my lucky stars I live in Australia as when it comes to anything medical you mob seemed to be screwed...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @5.1.1    2 months ago

I see this as solely a political move rather than anything altruistic on Biden's part. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    2 months ago

He also had to have a Congress that would work with him on changing the law that set up the Medicare Part D (drug plan) as the initial laws did not allow for Medicare to negotiate for lower prices. There were three Senators (including Manchin) who refused to pass such a bill.

Negotiating Medicare drug prices  is the linchpin of  President Joe Biden’s ambitious health care agenda . Not only would consumers see lower costs, but savings would be plowed into other priorities such as dental coverage for retirees and lower premiums for people with plans under the Obama-era health law.

To do that, Congress would have to change an unusual arrangement that’s written into law.

When lawmakers created Medicare’s Part D outpatient prescription drug program in 2003, they barred Medicare from negotiating prices. Republicans who controlled Congress at the time wanted insurers that administer drug plans to do the haggling. Medicare was sidelined, despite decades of experience setting prices for hospitals, doctors and nursing homes.

“I don’t know of any other situation where the government has one hand tied behind its back when dealing with people like big pharma,” said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., who is leading efforts to draft the Democratic plan in the Senate.

Known as the “noninterference clause,” the ban has been unbendable. That’s the way the pharmaceutical industry wants to keep it.

Ban on negotiating Medicare drug prices under pressure | AP News

Heather Bresch was president & CEO for Myla, a drug company. She was also the top lobbyist as she was Joe Manchin's daughter.

In the case of West Virginia senator Joe Manchin, however, his daughter’s former job — she was president, top lobbyist, and CEO of Mylan, a drug company — represents such a massive conflict of interest, with implications for policy that are shocking and disqualifying even by normal Washington, DC, standards. She’s not only the senator’s daughter, she’s a major donor.

And it’s worse than that. Much worse.

Last month,   the   Intercept ’s Ryan Grim reported   that Bresch worked with the CEO of Pfizer to keep the prices of the EpiPen artificially high. The EpiPen, as many readers with severe allergies know, is a lifesaving device patients carry with them in case of a serious allergic reaction that injects epinephrine into the body. As Grim reported, the emails about the 2011 deal between the CEOs were released as part of a lawsuit. Pfizer agreed to divest from its EpiPen competitor, giving Mylan a monopoly, allowing the company to continue raising prices without any competitive curb. (The deal — and the resulting price increase — was profitable to both companies, as Pfizer acquired King Pharmaceuticals, the company that made the epinephrine, while Mylan continued to make and distribute the device itself.)

In 2007, when Mylan first got the rights to the EpiPen, a two pack cost less than $100; after Bresch cut the aforementioned deal with Pfizer, the price increased to more than $600, with catastrophic results, especially for those who had to pay full price due to lack of adequate insurance coverage.   As CNBC reported in 2016 , the EpiPen only costs a couple dollars to make — including the drug. Oh, and as a side note, after the price increase, Manchin’s wife, Gayle Conelly Manchin, lobbied for federal legislation requiring schools to have EpiPens onsite.

Meet Joe Manchin’s Appalling Daughter (jacobin.com)

I would love for some real investigative reporting to follow the money to find out all the Congressmen past and present who received money in the plan to prevent Medicare from negotiating prices. This is why I continue to say the biggest threat to democracy is all the people who work in Washington. There's too much money and power involved in politics and the expense of the citizens. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1.2    2 months ago

Yeah, how dare he make life easier and more affordable for those who cannot afford their medications?

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    2 months ago

I'm no longer shocked by the incredible stupidity demonstrated by some americans...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @5.1.5    2 months ago

Some Americans, those who have don't seem to give a shit about those who don't

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1.2    2 months ago
I see this as solely a political move rather than anything altruistic 

Lol to be fair so is anything done by any politician ever

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    2 months ago

It was included in the Infrastructure Reduction Act passed in August of 2022 and they were sued by numerous Pharmaceuticals in different courts while they stalled and negotiated.

Supposedly Big Pharma lost 7 cases so far.

The changes aren't implemented until 01/2026, then there is a schedule for the next several years.

So Big Pharma is stalling for a Republican Administration that will reverse all of this.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.3    2 months ago

I've been reporting on the Manchins' and Bresch's shenanigansfor years.

Bresch's MBA from West Virginia University was awarded despite her not having completed the coursework.  The University president was forced to resign over that fiasco.

The Manchins are crooked.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    2 months ago
why did Biden wait until the end of his term in office to bring prices down?

Guess which side in Congress opposed him?  Maybe you should call them out.  And drug prices were outrageous way before he took office.