╌>

More than 200 former Bush, McCain and Romney staffers endorse Harris - CBS News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  one month ago  •  31 comments

By:   Caitlin Yilek (CBSPolitics)

More than 200 former Bush, McCain and Romney staffers endorse Harris - CBS News
The alternative to Harris, the letter from more than 200 Republicans said, "is simply untenable."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Caitlin Yilek

Updated on: August 27, 2024 / 11:33 AM EDT / CBS News

Over 200 former GOP staffers endorse Harris 200+ former Bush, McCain and Romney staffers endorse Kamala Harris for president02:47

Washington — More than 200 Republicans who worked for former President George H.W. Bush, former President George W. Bush, Sen. John McCain and Sen. Mitt Romney endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris, saying democracy would be "irreparably jeopardized" by another Trump administration.

"We have plenty of honest, ideological disagreements with Vice President Harris and Gov. Walz. That's to be expected. The alternative, however, is simply untenable," said the letter, which was first reported by USA Today.

The group, which put out a similar letter in 2020, said another four years of former President Donald Trump's "chaotic leadership" would "hurt real, everyday people and weaken our sacred institutions."

They urged moderate Republicans and independents in battleground states who helped elect President Biden "to take a brave stand once more."

The announcement follows speeches from several Republicans at last week's Democratic National Convention, in which they excoriated Trump's leadership and personality.

Stephanie Grisham, who was one of Trump's press secretaries and a top aide to Melania Trump, said Harris "has my vote." Grisham said Trump has "no empathy, no morals and no fidelity to the truth." She said Trump calls his supporters "basement dwellers" behind closed doors.

Olivia Troye, who served as an adviser to former Vice President Mike Pence, said Trump wants to sow doubt and division "because it's the only way he wins."

"You're not voting for a Democrat. You're voting for democracy," Troye said. "You're not betraying our party. You're standing up for our country."

Former Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger called Trump "a weak man pretending to be strong" and said his "only purpose is himself." Of Harris, he said, she "shares my allegiance to the rule of law, the Constitution, and democracy," and "whatever policies we disagree on pale in comparison with those fundamental matters of principle, of decency, of fidelity to this nation."

Caitlin Yilek

Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at CBSNews.com, based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    one month ago

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    one month ago

More and more republicans will keep turning against the traitor former 'president' convicted felon and rapist.  70% of the US and the world has trump fatigue.  We just want the scumbag to go the fuck away.  Don't care how.  

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    one month ago

Not since Napoleon was shipped off to Saint Helena has the world been happier to see a political figure fade into utter insignificance!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2  Drinker of the Wry    one month ago

From deplorable to weird in eight years.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    one month ago

Different adjectives for Malfunctioning MAGA!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.1    one month ago

Malfunctioning MAGA!

That's bold talk JBB, mighty bold talk.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    one month ago
From deplorable to weird in eight years.

Personality disorders do multiply.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @2.2    one month ago

Personality disorders do multiply.

77 million Americans with Dissociative Identity Disorder, damn Reagan for closing the US mental health system.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    one month ago

200 is a drop in a bucket.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    one month ago

gee, all the old establishment republicans in my family are strangely quiet concerning the upcoming election...

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  devangelical @3    one month ago

My Republican relatives abhor Trump & MAGA!

Today's MAGA is unsupportable to them now...

Ronald Reagan would vote for Harris and Walz!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3.1    one month ago

JFK would vote for Trump!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    one month ago
JFK would vote for Trump!

JimBob Franklin Klansman? I'll take your word for it...

As for the Kennedy family...

"We want an America filled with hope and bound together by a shared vision of a brighter future, a future defined by individual freedom, economic promise and national pride," said a statement signed by five of the former independent presidential candidate's siblings.

"We believe in Harris and Walz," the statement continued. "Our brother Bobby's decision to endorse Trump today is a betrayal of the values that our father and our family hold most dear. It is a sad ending to a sad story." - Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Courtney Kennedy, Kerry Kennedy, Chris Kennedy and Rory Kennedy.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.2    one month ago
"Our brother Bobby's decision to endorse Trump today is a betrayal of the values that our father and our family

Yes, that's the point. the family is fine with murder, treason, and sexual assault, but supporting a Republican is a bridge too far. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.2    one month ago

I think some people here forget how much class the Kennedys have. Unlike the Clown Prince

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.4    one month ago
orget how much class the Kennedys have

Class personified:

When she put in an appearance in their private retreat - 'The Teddy Kennedy
Fun Room' - the Massachusetts senator picked her up and heaved her onto a
table. The crystal candlesticks and champagne glasses shattered as he
grabbed her again and flung her on top of Dodd.

"Then Kennedy threw himself on top of the woman. The waitress implored Mr.
Kennedy to 'Get off me!'

"Another waitress entered to find 'things all tipped over and Kennedy was on
top, [the waitress] was in the middle and Dodd was on the bottom.' At that
point the sandwich was disassembled."

When she put in an appearance in their private retreat - 'The Teddy Kennedy
Fun Room' - the Massachusetts senator picked her up and heaved her onto a
table. The crystal candlesticks and champagne glasses shattered as he
grabbed her again and flung her on top of Dodd.

"Then Kennedy threw himself on top of the woman. The waitress implored Mr.
Kennedy to 'Get off me!'

"Another waitress entered to find 'things all tipped over and Kennedy was on
top, [the waitress] was in the middle and Dodd was on the bottom.' At that
point the sandwich was disassembled."

Or 

One call-girl guest was 'Elizabeth Taylor lookalike' Ellen Rometsch, an East German emigre and former Communist Party member who visited the White House for sex with the President several times in 1963. His brother Bobby, the attorney general, later had her deported, fearing she could harm JFK's re-election campaign..... 

Possibly the only thing  a Democrat would support deporting someone for, hurting their reelection chances.  

Nothing says "class" like hiring teenage girls as interns, using them for sex and calling them "fiddle and faddle" 

When the president wasn’t keeping the world from descending into war, there was plenty of wild partying. One instance was a raucous Hollywood bash at Bing Crosby’s desert ranch.

“I was sitting next to him in the living room when a handful of yellow capsules — most likely amyl nitrate, commonly known as poppers — was offered up by one of the guests. The president asked me if I wanted to try the drug, which stimulated the heart but also purportedly enhanced sex. I said no, but he just went ahead and popped the capsule and held it under my nose.”

He didn’t try it himself.

“This was a new sensation, and it frightened me,” Mimi recalls. “I panicked and ran crying from the room.”

It wasn’t her first glimpse of Kennedy’s dark side.

“He had been guilty of an even more callous and unforgivable episode at the White House” during a noon swim. Powers had rolled up his pants to cool his feet in the water. “The president swam over and whispered in my ear. ‘Mr. Powers looks a little tense,’ he said. ‘Would you take care of it?’ “It was a dare, but I knew exactly what he meant. This was a challenge to give Dave Powers oral sex. I don’t think the president thought I’d do it, but I’m ashamed to say that I did . . . The president silently watched.”

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.5    one month ago

So, you believe this womans uncorroborated "tell all" account but not the over two dozen women who came forward accusing Donald Trump of sexual assault and rape? I'm not saying I doubt this woman, I have no allegiance to the memory of the Kennedy's, but to act like this claim is any different than the MANY claims of sexual misconduct, assault and rape against Donald Trump would just prove one a Trump sycophant loyalist who spends their days licking the Mango Mussolini's virtual ball sweat.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    one month ago

Disgusting, deplorable, desperate + perverted + weird

The freakshow keeps getting freakier

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @4    one month ago

The MAGA are exposed like McCarthyism was...

original

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4    one month ago

Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic .

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2    one month ago

Rich doesn't work for me, can I change it to radical?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hallux @4.2.1    one month ago

Go for it

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    one month ago

Has anyone checked out the list of names?

Is there anyone there who was an advisor?

Or is this just another list of progressives like the 51 former intelligence officials who lied about Russian dissinformation?

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    one month ago
Has anyone checked out the list of names?

Here, knock yourself out ... this is politics and all you need is to find one to cast aspersions on the other 199.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1    one month ago

Do you recognize any of those names?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    one month ago

Did you check out the list?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    one month ago

Yes. I noted the Trump haters.

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    one month ago
Do you recognize any of those names?

Many of them, and you, or is your memory failing?

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    one month ago
Yes. I noted the Trump haters.

Remarkable how those numbers keep growing ... so I'm going to break a rule and make a prediction: if Trump pulls the same 2020 stunt, he will be hated by the majority of Americans.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    one month ago
Former Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger called Trump "a weak man pretending to be strong" and said his "only purpose is himself." Of Harris, he said, she "shares my allegiance to the rule of law, the Constitution, and democracy," and "whatever policies we disagree on pale in comparison with those fundamental matters of principle, of decency, of fidelity to this nation."

I like that answer

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    one month ago

Can't wait for the same story to be posted again  tomorrow.

What a former intern for John McCain thinks is apparently the most important thing in the world to progressives.