╌>

Pelosi praises CA bill giving illegal migrants money to buy homes: 'American dream' 'available to more people' | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  one month ago  •  15 comments

By:   Joseph Wulfsohn (Fox News)

Pelosi praises CA bill giving illegal migrants money to buy homes: 'American dream' 'available to more people' | Fox News
Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., offered praise to a controversial bill advancing in her home state during her appearance on "Real Time with Bill Maher."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

closeVideo

California considering taxpayer-funded home loans for migrants

San Diego Board of Supervisors' Jim Desmond argues the state cannot afford to expand the interest-free home loans program to illegal immigrants.

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., appeared to express support for her state's controversial bill that would provide financial aid for illegal immigrants to buy homes.

California lawmakers passed AB 1840, which would require the California Housing Finance Authority's home purchase assistance program, or California Dream for All Program, to include undocumented migrants, meaning those seeking to become first-time homeowners would be eligible for taxpayer loans.

During the same discussion, the former Speaker advocated for making these illegal immigrants legal: "What I would like to do is move them to documented. One of the best things we can do for our economy is pass comprehensive immigration reform."

During Friday's appearance on "Real Time with Bill Maher," Pelosi was asked to react to the bill's passing.

CALIFORNIA CLOSE TO APPROVING $150K LOANS FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO HELP PURCHASE HOMES

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., expressed support for her state's controversial bill that would allow illegal immigrants to receive money to buy homes.(Screenshot/HBO)

"That's kind of a different place than the Democratic Party used to be on immigration, is it not?" host Bill Maher asked.

"Well, let me just say, immigration had always been a bipartisan issue," Pelosi responded.

"But not free housing," Maher interjected.

CALIFORNIA REPUBLICAN LAWMAKER REACTS TO 'CRAZY' BILL THAT WOULD GIVE UNDOCUMENTED FIRST-TIME HOMEBUYERS MONEY

"Well, that's not free housing. It's the American Dream being available to more people," Pelosi pushed back. "But understand this about immigration. The best speech when immigration was by President Ronald Reagan. 'This is the last speech I will make as President of the United States. I want to communicate a message to the country I love.' And he talked about the Statue of Liberty and the Beacon of Hope it is to the world and what America was preeminent to the world because our door was always open. And we will cease to be preeminent when we shut the door."

Pelosi described California's controversial bill as "the American Dream being available to more people."(Screenshot/HBO)

"Now, I don't do justice to the Great Communicator. Google it. It's a fabulous speech, and George Herbert Walker Bush continued in that respect for the diversity of America and the rest. California is always in the lead. Maybe others will follow that lead, but that's up to those states. But we are very blessed here with beautiful diversity," she continued.

"So you'd vote for this law?" Maher then asked.

EX-CALIFORNIA SLAMS STATE BILL THAT GIVES ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HOUSING LOANS: 'ASININE'

"Well, I'm not familiar with exactly what that is, but making the American dream of homeownership available to all people is something we have to do for people who are here now," Pelosi said.

"This is before you're a citizen. This is for the undocumented," Maher stressed.

"Well, what I would like to do is move them to documented," Pelosi responded, adding "One of the best things we can do for our economy is pass comprehensive immigration reform."

California lawmakers passed AB 1840, which would require the California Housing Finance Authority's home purchase assistance program, or California Dream for All Program, to include undocumented migrants.(Arturo Holmes/Getty Images for National Urban League)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to joseph.wulfsohn@fox.com and on Twitter: @JosephWulfsohn.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    one month ago
"Well, what I would like to do is move them to documented," Pelosi responded, adding "One of the best things we can do for our economy is pass comprehensive immigration reform."

Almost hard to believe she said aloud what we have known for years, Democrats advocate for amnesty for illegal aliens and have zero problems in 'helping' them to stay illegally.

One question:

How does an illegal alien have an income here to even qualify for a home loan? 

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1  Freewill  replied to  Texan1211 @1    one month ago
How does an illegal alien have an income here to even qualify for a home loan? 

A good question because the very definition of " Illegal Immigrant " or " Undocumented Immigrant " is that they are ineligible for a SS number and they have no authorization to work in the United States.  So how are they paying taxes as some of those who support this Bill are claiming, and able to afford a home mortgage or even pay back the $150k loan for just the down-payment?  They are doing it illegally, as are the people who are hiring them.

Can my employer discriminate against me because I am undocumented?

Employers are required to refuse to hire, or terminate, an undocumented worker once they learn of her lack of work authorization. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) makes it illegal for employers to knowingly hire or continue to employ undocumented workers. Therefore, when an employee is hired, her employer is required to ask for documents that show her identity as well as her authorization to work in the U.S., and those documents must “reasonably appear to be genuine.

Now if they are hired in the U.S. (illegally mind you) they can request a W-7 Form which is used to obtain an ITIN - Individual Tax ID Number, in order to pay State and Federal income and other taxes.  Why would they do that if social security and disability benefits are not available to them, and why risk being flagged as an undocumented immigrant (and possibly be deported) if the employer or the IRS finds out they are working in the US without authorization?  Because the system is setup intentionally to actively look the other way and encourage them to flood across the border and stay.  It is a tangled mess of contradictory laws, benefits, and incentives to cheat, instead of following/enforcing the actual federal immigration laws.  And this inclusion of undocumented immigrants in the California American Dream program, which by the way is completely out of money and has not yet been appropriated additional funds, is just another incentive to break the law while we look the other way, and the taxpaying citizens get to foot the bill when the inevitable defaults happen.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    one month ago

Given the financial difficulties California is currently facing is this really doing justice for the taxpayers in the state?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @2    one month ago

If the taxpayers continue to vote for people that want to give their money to illegals so they can buy things they can't afford themselves they get what they deserve

GregTx
Professor Guide
3  GregTx    one month ago
"This is before you're a citizen. This is for the undocumented," Maher stressed.

So polite....

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  GregTx @3    one month ago

It's only $150,000.

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1    one month ago

Right? Personally, I would be really stoked as a Californian to think maybe my tax dollars helped that Venezuelan gang leader get his first home in the US.....

/s  in case it's needed 

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    one month ago

Now taxpayers have to build the Feral Cats houses!  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    one month ago

Meanwhile, in other forgotten news, there is this:  

In typical kick-the-can thinking, Pelosi is advocating throwing baskets of cash around to avoid dealing with the underlying problem.  You know, the government really could reclaim and repurpose closed state and Federal government property to provide housing in a more efficient and less costly manner.  But, no doubt, some leftie prosecutor would claim the government is building internment camps just to score political points.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Nerm_L @5    one month ago
In typical kick-the-can thinking, Pelosi is advocating throwing baskets of cash around to avoid dealing with the underlying problem

I agree, but that really seems to be the answer for almost ALL politicians about every problem.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    one month ago

I'm glad you double-posted so that I could give you a thumbs up on both of them. Absolutely true, this is what Washington does. Look at how badly Washington screwed up higher education with all the grants and guaranteed repayments of money, the colleges and universities were very happy to see the fed get involved and immediately raised tuition to take even more money. These programs never provide long-term help to those whom the plan is supposed to help. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.1    one month ago

To be honest, what doesn't the govt. screw up?

Dept. of Education

Dept. of Energy

The student loans you mentioned

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

Maybe the trick to prevent potential immigrants from crowding America's borders is to stop telling the world that America is the greatest nation in the world, the land of opportunity, God's blessed Home of the Brave and Land of the Free where the streets are paved with gold and instead tell the world about America having the biggest incarceration rate in the world, the magnitude of the gun violence and mass gun murders and the huge political divisiveness, the cost of healthcare that bankrupts many, and the climate problems such as the multiple hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires, and show them photos of the people sleeping on the streets and under bridges.   Do the right thing for a change and I bet the immigration pressure would be reduced considerably.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    one month ago

You may have noticed how many Americans have complained in the last 8 years about making America great again, so I think they have that covered by now.

Problem really is that even with all of our faults and problems, America is still a far, far better place than where some are coming from.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    one month ago
"Problem really is that even with all of our faults and problems, America is still a far, far better place than where some are coming from."

I will not deny that - it is absolutely correct.  And at the same time I can say concerning where I have migrated to myself, echoing the words of another lawyer, although a fictional one, Sydney Carton, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."