╌>

What Trump Doesn’t Understand About the Military

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  2 months ago  •  12 comments

By:   Tom Nichols - The Atlantic

What Trump Doesn’t Understand About the Military
A man without honor or courage hates America’s service members.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Donald Trump has disgraced himself in many areas. But his longevity in public life after expressing open contempt for the men and women of the United States military, and especially those who have been wounded or killed in the service of their country, is an appalling achievement unmatched by any of his predecessors.

Atlantic   editor in chief Jeffrey Goldberg has written several important articles about Trump and his relationship with the military—he broke the   story   about Trump referring to America’s fallen soldiers as “losers” and “suckers”—and that reporting has now been gathered into a   book   for Atlantic Editions titled   On Heroism.

I talked with Jeff over the holiday weekend about the book, and about how America has become so tolerant of a politician who regularly shows his disdain for the U.S. military.

Tom Nichols:   When I started reading this, I wondered about the title, which is about   heroism , but really, so much of what you talk about here is the problem Trump has with   honor , isn’t it?

Jeffrey Goldberg:   Well, yes. Damn it. Now we have to change the title.

Tom:   Too late. But how do you see the difference between them?

Jeff:   Many people are honorable, but to me, any who have run   toward the fire , the people who put themselves in danger for others, are committing acts of genuine heroism. At the very least, we think of them as selfless or brave, and in the book, I talk about people who have shown that kind of valor: John McCain is the most obvious example, along with General John Kelly, General Mark Milley, and others. And Trump has attacked all of them, even   calling   some of them traitors.

Tom:   Is he intimidated by them? It seems to me that honorable people aggravate and confuse Trump, but   heroic   people really seem to disgust him in some way, especially wounded warriors. I mean, he seems to hate McCain even more than some of his political enemies who are still alive.

Jeff:   That’s why I wrote about heroism. It’s a quality we all value, but Trump actually seems jealous of people who have committed acts of genuine heroism, and so he demeans them. And I think it might even be more than jealousy; it’s also cowardice. Somewhere deep inside him, maybe he has just enough self-knowledge to know that he himself would not be capable of such acts, and that realization makes him angry.

Tom:   As you were saying that, I was thinking of him   bragging   about how he would have run right into the Parkland school back in 2018—without a weapon!—to take out the shooter. Almost like he was trying to convince   himself .

Jeff:   You have to wonder about anyone who says that. You don’t really know what you would do in that situation. No one does. But he felt he had to say it. He reacted defiantly when he was shot at in July, but that’s not a situation he volunteered for, and it’s definitely not a moment that called for selflessness or self-sacrifice. Even while he’s talking about what a hero he’d have been at Parkland, he has always had this inability to understand people who risk their lives, much like he couldn’t understand the men who didn’t claim they had bone spurs and get out of being sent to Vietnam.

Tom:   Well,   other people   of his generation got deferments too. But he seems almost gleeful, like he put one over on the guys who served. It’s like his apparent belief that only idiots pay their taxes.

Jeff:   Yes, it’s a very Leona Helmsley attitude that societal obligations are for the little people. It’s even more than Trump failing the binary choice between cowardice and heroism; it’s also about selflessness and selfishness. And one thing you don’t want in a president is selfishness.

Tom:   “What was in it for them?”

Jeff:   Right. And remember, that question—“What was in it for them?”—is even worse because he   said it   to General Kelly in Arlington National Cemetery, literally standing at the grave site of Kelly’s son, a fallen Marine first lieutenant. To me, that moment really shows how his instincts are so unnatural: His immediate inclination in such situations is to disparage the people who served, to   talk about   how dishonorable it is for someone like John McCain to be captured. He did it to George H. W. Bush too. Bush was one of the youngest pilots in the Navy, and Trump called him a “loser” because he was shot down over the Pacific.

Tom:   Are we at the part where we ask why?

Jeff:   I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out the kind of person who has such thoughts. You can explain some of it by just accepting who Trump is: He’s a huckster, a con man, and what do all con men have in common? Contempt for the mark. In Trump’s case, everyone is the mark, so he has this contempt for   all   people, including his own supporters. But ultimately that’s not the issue, and at this point, we don’t have to sit around trying to understand the deep currents that cause him to think this way.

The man was president, and he wants to be president again. The record is plain. This is the truth of Donald Trump: He has contempt for men and women who serve their country.

Tom:   Okay, psychoanalyzing Trump is a job for professionals, but how is it that more people are not appalled by this? The one thing that unites most Americans is respect for the people who serve the nation in the military.

Jeff:   You’ve asked what is, to me, the most mysterious question. It’s not “Why is Donald Trump this way?” but “How could Trump say the things he said even back in 2015 and not immediately be driven from the Republican Party by its own voters?” What happened in our country that allowed someone to insult a hero, a POW who was tortured for years, and then survive and thrive in American politics?

Tom:   And?

Jeff:   Well, one answer is that you have to remember that Trump and his people regularly engage in concerted campaigns to deny that Trump ever said any of these things. They went especially hard after the revelations about him referring to the dead as “suckers” and “losers” and claimed that it was all fabricated, despite Kelly   confirming   it. That’s another amazing part of all this, by the way: John Kelly, Gold Star father, Marine four-star general, combat veteran, is disbelieved over Donald Trump, who has been proven again and again to be a liar. It really shows how central it is to Trumpism to deny the realities of Donald Trump.

Tom:   But no one denies what he said about John McCain, right? That’s   on video   and he’s pretty proud of it.

Jeff:   The McCain comments are the hardest ones for me to explain, in part because I am a great admirer of McCain’s, and I have a hard time imagining how anyone, regardless of their politics, could see McCain as anything but the apotheosis of bravery. But also because that one incident really undid my understanding of American politics.

Tom:   How so?

Jeff:  If you could count on anything in America, and especially in Republican politics—if you had a list titled “Things Republican Candidates Cannot Do”—I think “insulting war heroes” would be near the top of that list. Our society venerates combat heroes. Trump very often treats them with open contempt. Just think about how he has repeatedly  demeaned  wounded veterans, demanding that they be kept out of parades, out of his sight. And yet Republicans have nominated him for president three times. I still cannot adequately explain it.

Red Box Rules

Bash the author and the source all you want, I have rhino skin ... not RINO skin.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 months ago

Trump truly sucked as a democrat, as a republican he is even worse.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    2 months ago

My biggest brain pain is the fact that so many veterans worship him even after disparaging him.*** How? Why? What the fuck is wrong with them?

***even after he disparages them

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    2 months ago

Donald gets away with it, because some conservatives let him. It says as much about their double-mindedness as it does about Donald's singlemindedness to insult veterans and war heroes (even in plain sight of their graves).

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3    2 months ago
Donald gets away with it, because some conservatives let him. It says as much about their double-mindedness as it does about Donald's singlemindedness to insult veterans and war heroes

You answered in two sentences, what Atlantic editor in chief Jeffrey Goldberg couldn't in an entire conversation.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

a politician who regularly shows his disdain for the U.S. military.

It's not Trump who attacked the gold star families. It's not Trump who ignored their invite to Arlington and attended their memorial. It's not Trump who the gold star families have denounced for politicizing their family members' sacrifice. 

Video after video from these families criticizing  Harris and somehow only Trump criticism gets amplified by  left wing media. Crazy how that works. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 months ago
Despite Trump’s explicit denial of the claim, General John Kelly, who served as the former Republican President’s White House Chief of Staff from 2017 to 2019, said in a statement in October 2023 that Trump had privately disparaged members of the military , according to  NBC News .

In a statement to CNN, Kelly described Trump as “a person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as POWs are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them,'” NBC News reported. Trump’s spokesperson, Steven Cheung, denied the claim, however.

“John Kelly has totally clowned himself with these debunked stories he’s made up because he didn’t serve his President well while working as Chief of Staff,” Cheung said, according to the outlet.

Jennifer Griffin, chief national security correspondent at Fox News, claimed Trump used the term “sucker” in reference to “ anyone who went [to war during the Vietnam War ] ” via a  post shared on X  on September 4, 2020.

“According to one former senior Trump administration official: ‘When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, ‘It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,'” Griffin wrote.

Both instances were cited in a  June 10 article from The New York Times  fact-checking Trump despite his denial of the claim. Besides these two instances, the outlet cited a  2015 social media post  as well as a  2015 event  in which Trump appeared to refer to the late Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain as a “loser.”

Anyone serving in the Vietnam War is a sucker , Donald?   You mean the war you used 'special pleading' to get out of with bone spurs in your proper draft ages? Donald, you have been skating through life in one form or another all your life!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @4.1    2 months ago

He is a digrace. I hope my uncles heard that remark

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @4.1    2 months ago

Doesn't address what I wrote.

But do you notice that's a  very passive "confirmation" from Kelly. If he heard Trump say any of those things, you'd think he'd specify that. That's the easiest way to confirm something.   When I read his "confirmation" he doesn't do that. Instead he lists statements the media reported Trump said and states Trump said them.  But some of those statements are, at best, anonymous hearsay.  So his "confirmation" could also mean that hes he's read the disputed quotes and believes they are something Trump said, but never heard himself. 

Kelly is no doubt a very smart man. I wonder why he chose that route. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    2 months ago
Doesn't address what I wrote.

Bullpucky ... that overly abused excuse is simply tiresome.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    2 months ago

John Kelly is a very smart General. And the saying goes Donald only hires the 'best' people so the General is instantly validated by his selection to be Donald's Chief of Staff! That Donald later decides to take it back after vetting General Kelly 'up' - speaks volumes about Donald's ability to renege when he can't coax someone else to lie on his behalf. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.5  CB  replied to  Hallux @4.1.3    2 months ago

It's a ploy. Some Trumpists have a definite tendency to make leading statements and ask leading questions: both for which they already know the answer for before doing so. It's not a proper discussion or interaction with others.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 months ago
It's not Trump who attacked the gold star families. It's not Trump who ignored their invite to Arlington and attended their memorial. It's not Trump who the gold star families have denounced for politicizing their family members' sacrifice. 

Yes it is, you must have a very short memory.